Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #76
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkispence1989
Can I just add this ...

I think the killer was wearing gloves rather than cleaning the ATM card and the car. Simply because there was no prints found of the card yet it was used numerous times. So how would he put in into the machine without using his fingers??? He must of wore gloves!

And if I had just robbed and killed a person I would hardly take my time to stand and clean their car in case I was spotted doing so and tied to the crime! Also if he took the time to clean the car thoroughly enough not to leave any finger prints he would of noticed he dropped his bandanna.

I think he was in more of a rush to get away, dumping the car and bailing out of there was quick as possible.

However I have no opinion I can give on if he was gang related or not. I do not believe that Matt was alive and seen in the shelter.

I do believe that this robber had committed similar crimes to this before. Gloves and a gun also states he had a plan before he left his home.
Good points Nikki. I kinda overlooked the fact that Matt's car was cleaned thoroughly when the cops later found it abandoned (yet the bandana was inside). I wonder if the killer might've had an accomplice (and it could've been his bandana) who later cleaned out the car to get rid of any blood?
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #77
nikkispence1989
Podcast and calories
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCart
the killer driving him to secluded location and shooting Matthew makes me think its someone who had an extensive criminal record and has been to jail for a significant period at some point prior to that crime ....
I strongly agree with that statement..

If the killer wore gloves it's possible his finger prints were all ready on record for a previous crime and he knew he needed to take precautions to ensure he wouldn't be caught.

I think he must have committed a lot more robberies but not murders eventually he would have messed up and been caught.

Unfortunately I dont think that this case will ever be solved.
nikkispence1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #78
wiseguy182

I'm uncomfortable with blaming Matt for visiting the ATM at night. As I stated earlier, we don't know if that's where he ran into trouble. He could have been targeted when he went to pick up the cat food. Maybe there was some road rage involved, or any number of other scenarios. I do think this was the work of a gang member and I shudder to think about what was going through Matt's head the last moments of his life. I just hope it was quick.

And I feel it's a solvable case. We have a bandanna with initials on it, perhaps there could be a DNA link some day. We have a picture of the killer.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #79
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I'm uncomfortable with blaming Matt for visiting the ATM at night. As I stated earlier, we don't know if that's where he ran into trouble. He could have been targeted when he went to pick up the cat food. Maybe there was some road rage involved, or any number of other scenarios. I do think this was the work of a gang member and I shudder to think about what was going through Matt's head the last moments of his life. I just hope it was quick.

And I feel it's a solvable case. We have a bandanna with initials on it, perhaps there could be a DNA link some day. We have a picture of the killer.
Yeah, he'd probably done that tons of times before, and just was sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time. UM made it seem like the ATM itself is where the crime happened, but this guy could've accosted Matt anywhere.

Do you know if there's any trace that he ever made it to the store? Were any receipts or the cat food found?

Its possible the case could be solved, but who knows about the killer? He might be in jail for another crime or could've died. He's 25 years older now too.

P.S. Isn't it creepy/weird that there's no trace of Matt's case online at all, besides the segment itself? Looking up Scott Burkhart doesn't come up with anything either. (Even if he's retired or in a different department/police force by now, his name should still show up in old articles or something.) It really makes these cases seem even more mysterious, legendary, and darker in a way.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #80
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81

P.S. Isn't it creepy/weird that there's no trace of Matt's case online at all, besides the segment itself? .
Unfortunately its probably cause this happened in LA & Pas , imagine how many other violent crimes of similar nature have occured in the intervening years ..... if this crime had occured in smalltown Iowa it probably still would be newsworthy enough to find traces of the case online , sad to say but people forget these things real quick in big cities

Sometimes its easy to forget that some of these case in UM from the mid and late 80`s occured during the crack epidermic and big cities were awash with so many murders its shocking when you look at the stats compared to today . With not many viable leads I guess the detectives put the case aside and had to respond to more homicides popping up regularly.....
DanCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #81
wiseguy182

Quote:
Yeah, he'd probably done that tons of times before, and just was sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time. UM made it seem like the ATM itself is where the crime happened, but this guy could've accosted Matt anywhere.
Yeah. In the case of Gretchen Buford, it is believed the killer got in her car and forced her to drive to an ATM. So it really wouldn't be unheard of for a killer to meet up with his victim elsewhere, then force them to an ATM. Perhaps that Matt had just visited an ATM was a coincidence.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #82
mtaylor72
Looking for that one clue...
Frequent Poster

I was watching this segment recently and I noticed something interesting. Stack said that over the next day and a half since Matthew first deposited his paycheck, 5 more withdrawal attempts were made. Stack also went on to say that by that time Matthew's paycheck had cleared and $400 had been paid out from his account. That raises the question, who was able to sucessfully withdraw that $400? Was it Matthew or his killer? If only the ATM(s) that paid that money out had a camera! The segment seemed to imply that only one of the ATMs had a camera. How common were ATM cameras back in 1988? If this had happened in 2013, the killer would most likely have been caught or at least better identified as nearly all ATMs have cameras now.
mtaylor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #83
wiseguy182

Good point about the cameras. I don't know if the killer made Matthew get it himself or forced him to give up his PIN number.

Another unfortunate circumstance was that Matt apparently went to a bank ATM. There likely weren't witnesses around. A safer choice would have been using one at a convenience store where there are more people around, although I don't know if that was common back in the day.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #84
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor72
I was watching this segment recently and I noticed something interesting. Stack said that over the next day and a half since Matthew first deposited his paycheck, 5 more withdrawal attempts were made. Stack also went on to say that by that time Matthew's paycheck had cleared and $400 had been paid out from his account. That raises the question, who was able to sucessfully withdraw that $400? Was it Matthew or his killer? If only the ATM(s) that paid that money out had a camera! The segment seemed to imply that only one of the ATMs had a camera. How common were ATM cameras back in 1988? If this had happened in 2013, the killer would most likely have been caught or at least better identified as nearly all ATMs have cameras now.
I don't know how common the cameras on ATMs were but from personal experience.....

I got my first ATM card in 1985 when I was 17 or 18. I lived in a Detroit suburb. The ATM I used had at least one camera. The machine was inside a trailer in a parking lot across the street from the mall, on kind of a side street. Now that I think about it, it was off by itself and not very safe.

It sounded like the majority of the trailer was full of air conditioning equipment in the back room to the keep the ATM machine cool.
-
-

Please sign the petition to get Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix/Hulu http://www.thepetitionsite.com/733/9...flix-and-hulu/
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #85
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

While I remember ATMs in lots of places as a kid, they were kind of a luxury in the 80s. Most were standalones outside of the actual banks. They weren't totally widespread and ubiquitous like now until the late 2000s even, like how there's one inside every convenience store, thrift store, supermarket, Target, etc. So it's not unfathomable to think that even in LA in 1988, Matt would've had no choice but to go to the actual bank.

I honestly believe Matt was killed that night, most likely after the gunman forced him to give up his PIN. After he had that and the car, he probably figured he didn't need Matt anymore, and killed him (either out of fear of being identified, frustration that he wasn't able to get more money out of him, or just because he was cold blooded).
Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #86
isotope
Frequent Poster

Quote:

I honestly believe Matt was killed that night, most likely after the gunman forced him to give up his PIN. After he had that and the car, he probably figured he didn't need Matt anymore, and killed him (either out of fear of being identified, frustration that he wasn't able to get more money out of him, or just because he was cold blooded).

I agree 100%

In my view, there is no mystery whatsoever as to what happened to poor Matt, only who the culprits are.
isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #87
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

There is one thing that keeps being forgotten: the head detective said the car had been void of all finger prints. So the killer wipes every single thing clean but leaves a valuable clue like the bandana behind? It is obvious that it was left behind to throw investigators off.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #88
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
There is one thing that keeps being forgotten: the head detective said the car had been void of all finger prints. So the killer wipes every single thing clean but leaves a valuable clue like the bandana behind? It is obvious that it was left behind to throw investigators off.
That's been mentioned on the forum before, numerous times in fact. I get the impression it was left behind as a mistake. Perhaps it fell off, or something.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #89
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken
Second, Teresa Dahl talked to witnesses in shelters who recognized him AND told her information that put him as alive after the crime, since they said that he was a very tall and lenky guy. That gives credence to the theory that the perp only mugged me and and left him there, because why would shelter people remember him and tell Teresa something that only someone who has seen Matthew Chase would know? While mistaken witnesses can and do happen, it is hard to be mistaken when the person you are asked about is very tall.
I don't mean this as rude to shelter people but I'm not sure shelter people are the best people to take everything they say with 100% certainty. I doubt Matthew lived much longer after that photo of him at the ATM, sadly.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #90
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

I also think Matthew died right after the atms he went to with that mysterious killer. I agree with the homeless shelter people - some will just lie to the parents because they feel sorry for them and want them to think their son is still alive. Also, some people are shady and will just be mean too. I think most at shelter are good citizens but perhaps 10% or 20% (depending on the day or month) are different.

Once again it probably was a kid that looked like Chase at the homeless shelter as lots of people have someone that looks like 'em. One person said that maybe the atm guy kidnapped him, stole some money, beat him to death and chase survived and forgot who he was and ended up at the shelter. However this does not make sense because he went to atm right after leaving his place and was later killed by atm guy.

he didn't go to atm, get kidnapped and beaten up, then gone to homeless shelter for a few nights and then get killed by another guy!
lettucesolve1 is offline   Reply With Quote