Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #61
wiseguy182

Call me crazy, but could it ever be positively concluded that the perp initially met up with Matt at the ATM and not somewhere else? Because it said that Matt made a succesful deposit of a paycheck, there was a lapse of time, and then Matt returned to the ATM in an attempt to make withdrawals and we know the perp had caught up with him by this time. However, what happened in between that? There's a good chunk of time, I think at least 15 minutes. I do remember Theresa asking him to get cat food, so perhaps he ran into foul play around a convenience store or something. Perhaps somebody tried to mug him elsewhere and when he didn't have any or much cash on his person, decided to force him to the ATM where he could have gotten cash. Didn't something similar happen to Gretchen Buford? I say all this because I think some people have leapt to the conclusion that Matt made a horrible mistake that led to his death, but I don't know. This is a really sad case, it pains me to look at that photo and wonder what was going through Matt's head at the time.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #62
jitters
Occasional Poster

I've been baffled by that too. According to the segment on Unsolved Mysteries, Matt made a successful deposit at the ATM and withdrew some money, possibly to pay for the cat food.

Then 30 minutes later at the same ATM, Matt attempted to withdraw $280.00 unsuccessfully. Then two more attempts were made, first for $200.00 which was rejected. Then one minute later, for $100.00.

The real mystery is between his first transaction and the 30 minute lapse of time to when he tried to get $280.00.

Based on some things I have read, Tersa said that this should have been a quick errand of Matt's. Basically that he should have only been gone for 15 minutes at the most. So the ATM was fairly close and the pace to get cat food must have been fairly close also. So what happened that held him up for 30 minutes? If it was that he went to get the cat food, then it shouldn't have taken that long, unless he was doing stuff like taking him time.

I've wondered if perhaps after he made his deposit and withdrawal at the ATM, if the suspect confronted him then, took the money he had, and possibly roughed him up. But that wouldn't take 30 minutes, I wouldn't think.

I really don't have a clue what could have taken 30 minutes between the times there, which was twice the amount of time he would have needed to just do his business at the ATM, get the cat food, and then be back home (assuming he wasn't doing anything else or just taking him time, such as looking at magazines or anything).

Well Matt did make a huge mistake for sure. If it was 11:45 pm, then just what was the rush to deposit his pay check that it couldn't wait until morning during normal business hours, and most importantly, in the day light and where more people are around? Depositing through an ATM is slower than doing it through a teller, and even if he had to work in the morning, he could have just deposited it during his lunch break or even after work, when it is still day light out. I would never go to an ATM at night. That is just asking for trouble... and unfortunately he got it.
jitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #63
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about Matt, especially since his murder is still unsolved, and it was also one of the classic eerie, very early segments.

For some reason, since I was a kid, I had always assumed the armed robber (who was almost certainly his killer) had just abducted Matt at the ATM when he'd made his first deposit. I never thought of the time lapse, but that's a good point. Was there a specific supermarket or a convenience store in the area that Matt went to alot? Yeah, close to downtown LA, there'd be tons and he'd be able to blend in and be pretty anonymous, but I just wonder if he ever got to buy the cat food (or any other groceries he might've picked up as well) and if there were any witnesses who saw him that night? Heck, when his car was searched, did they ever find any receipts or the can of cat food?

Regarding the homeless shelter, I tend to believe the guy that people saw wasn't Matt, especially since L.A. is so populated, and hundreds and thousands of people would pass in and out of there all the time.

It's an interesting theory to think Matt could've been kidnapped and kept alive (possibly wandering around confused) for some time after the robbery, but I doubt it. Chances are, the gunman got mad when he couldn't withdraw money (since his check hadn't yet cleared). Once they had his pin# and he got out as much money as he could, they shot and killed him and probably hid his body in Pasadena where it was found in September.
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #64
wiseguy182

I haven't been able to find jack about this case online. LAPD is undoubtedly very busy, so I fear that's how this case drifted into the cold files. If there hasn't been much discussion, that may be a reason why. There's been positively no new info other than the segment/update.

This case does anger me and I feel it has some similarities to Gretchen Buford. Unfortunately, I believe they may have both been killed due to their killers being completely ignorant about how ATM's work. For example, there are limits to what a person can withdraw, $200.00/day seems to be the standard.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #65
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I haven't been able to find jack about this case online. LAPD is undoubtedly very busy, so I fear that's how this case drifted into the cold files. If there hasn't been much discussion, that may be a reason why. There's been positively no new info other than the segment/update.

This case does anger me and I feel it has some similarities to Gretchen Buford. Unfortunately, I believe they may have both been killed due to their killers being completely ignorant about how ATM's work. For example, there are limits to what a person can withdraw, $200.00/day seems to be the standard.
Either have I, aside from the UM segment itself. Despite how many murders and crimes that happen in LA, you'd think that being on a national TV show that was aired many times over the years, it would've had more notice.

I've even tried Googling Scott Burkhart, the main LAPD homicide officer being interviewed in the segment, and couldn't find anything. He might be retired now, but that's still bizarre.

Yeah, even now the limit is $300, so when you think about it, $200 was much more in 1988 money than that is now. You'd think it'd be common knowledge, but some criminals who don't have them, might not even realize that. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt's killer probably just lost his temper when he couldn't get the money right away.

My main question is, where was Matt for the time inbetween being kidnapped and when he was able to withdraw (after his check cleared)? I imagine he was killed right after the killer got money, but all that time inbetween is unaccounted for.
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #66
wiseguy182

I tried googling Scott Burkhart as well a while back. I got zilch.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #67
nikkispence1989
Podcast and calories
Frequent Poster

Can I just add this ...

I think the killer was wearing gloves rather than cleaning the ATM card and the car. Simply because there was no prints found of the card yet it was used numerous times. So how would he put in into the machine without using his fingers??? He must of wore gloves!

And if I had just robbed and killed a person I would hardly take my time to stand and clean their car in case I was spotted doing so and tied to the crime! Also if he took the time to clean the car thoroughly enough not to leave any finger prints he would of noticed he dropped his bandanna.

I think he was in more of a rush to get away, dumping the car and bailing out of there was quick as possible.

However I have no opinion I can give on if he was gang related or not. I do not believe that Matt was alive and seen in the shelter.

I do believe that this robber had committed similar crimes to this before. Gloves and a gun also states he had a plan before he left his home.
nikkispence1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #68
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Default atm

you would think that bank's atm and drive up windows would have better and clear picture quality cameras. so stupid that its all fuzzy and shadowy. Can the rich banks afford better technology? Sure this was in the late 80s or early 90s. But I saw AMW case on Al Kite (super scary sketchy sketch) in Aurora, Colorado in 2004 where a renter rented a room out of his basement to a new guy - a traveler. The guy killed him just for the thrill of it. (google it - there is a facebook page that has al kite amw case for 12 min). They never found him. He too walked with a fake limp and cane. Just like Mike Emert case, although different killers.

Anyways, the drive up atm video showed a better picture of the killer, but it still is not perfectly clear like a regular video camera. Yet, it has gotten better than those early 90's ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamatt
As far as the scariest UM segments, I have seen a lot of the creepier ones and am one of those people who pretty much hate the miracles and about 3/4ths of the lost loves variety. One of the ones that's supposed to be super creepy is the California ATM murder. I have heard that a camera catches a man at an ATM late at night with a supposedly scary person next to him. Then, I guess he either is grabbed by the guy or he walks off and the guy follows him.

Any help in more details of the case, or possibly a clip of it? (And if you have a clip just PM it to me so we don't violate the site advertising). Thanks.
lettucesolve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #69
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884
Unsolved Mysteries has told me that the USA is a scary place filled with murderers, rapists and thieves in every neighbourhood. What is the safest place to live in the U.S if someone had the choice?
The WhiteHouse

I am amazed these cases scare you , I have read some pretty scary stuff coming of Australia especially in the Outback ..... these cases are extermely unusual and highly rare which is why UM featured them , scary stuff happens everywere its just that no one reports it unlike over here ....
DanCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #70
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmushrooms
I just don't think it was related to Gang violence for some reason. When I saw the sketch it looks like an older male and I'm just not convinced he was in a gang. I could be wrong, but that's been my opinion for a while.
The whole bandana thing is puzzling , the culprit was carefull enough not to leave prints in the card and the car yet leaves a bandana hmmm ....
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #71
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I agree to an extent. I do agree with your assessment that the perpetrator most likely used the bandana to cover his face when he was robbing Matthew. But, I do think he was in a gang. The bandana had the initials for the East Side Playboys gang. I doubt it was a gang land hit though. I think this particular individual just happened to be in the same area Matthew was in and decided to rob him and eventually kill him.
I think its significant that the culprit in this case either chose to kill Matt at a secluded location or he shot him then transported the body to the location, this indicates an experienced methodical offender ........ with young gangbangers I would most likely have expected them to quickly rob and shoot him then get away as fast as they could .
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #72
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2
Yeah this case just baffles me why Mathew was so eager to get to the ATM at such a late or dark time. I mean he couldn't have waited the next day? Another half a day couldn't have made a difference.
According to the segmented they returned from dinner and he "realized he needed to deposit his paycheck" ...
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #73
nikkispence1989
Podcast and calories
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCart
I think its significant that the culprit in this case either chose to kill Matt at a secluded location or he shot him then transported the body to the location, this indicates an experienced methodical offender ........ with young gangbangers I would most likely have expected them to quickly rob and shoot him then get away as fast as they could .
Forgive me if I'm wrong but there would have been blood in the car if he transported the body after shooting it and I though there was no blood in the car. Most likely he drove him to a secluded location and shot him where the body was found.

I do agree that the killer tried to get away as fast as he could thus leaving the bandanna in the haste.

Does anyone know if the bandanna was found in the front? driver side? back seat?
nikkispence1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #74
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkispence1989
Forgive me if I'm wrong but there would have been blood in the car if he transported the body after shooting it and I though there was no blood in the car. Most likely he drove him to a secluded location and shot him where the body was found.

I do agree that the killer tried to get away as fast as he could thus leaving the bandanna in the haste.

Does anyone know if the bandanna was found in the front? driver side? back seat?
Based on the video in that segment it looks like the bandana was in the front of the car , the whole issue of the killer driving him to secluded location and shooting Matthew makes me think its someone who had an extensive criminal record and has been to jail for a significant period at some point prior to that crime ....
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #75
SeekDaGreat
Frequent Poster

To Me, this is a clear cut case, the only mystery here is who?

Its pretty easy to fill in the blanks, walking at night, atm, disaster combo. Motive robbery, murder was only a convenient way to keep Matt (RIP) from talking and identifying the perp. The robbery is the killer, who gets robbed and killed in the same night? Not unless the it happens in series by the same perp. He was confronted probably almost immediately after his initial deposit of his pay check. It is pretty clear that ATM and/or area was being cased. Victim of extremely unfortunate circumstances. Although he dud not use his better judgement by making his way to an ATM at midnight. May he rest in peace and may justice be provided to his family.

Just an eerie event. Very alarming.
SeekDaGreat is offline   Reply With Quote