Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Renews Freshman Fall 2019 Class; Fox Schedules 9-1-1 Spin-off for Midseason 2020
Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #46
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

The thing with Mafous is that he is 5'10" and 160lbs. correct? In the pictures of him he is not broad shouldered. He has a small frame. Todd looked to be of a solid proportion. Too big for a SINGLE man on his own to carry him. If Mafous grabs his legs and Christie his arms then that scenario is possible.

Either way she isn't telling the entire truth. This explains the refusal to take a polygraph. I'll throw another name out here of a suspect refusing to take a polygraph - Mike Morris. We all know what we think of him. If I were at the center of a brutal killing and had the opportunity to clear my name and grab some credibility I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Christie didn't, and to me that is an epic fail.

Also if she left Todd's at 3am and returned at 7am that is very little sleep. Why return to his house 4 hours later? Why? Sleep in for crying out loud. Just strange, Christie
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #47
egswanso
Forum Regular

Christie's story has enough inconsistencies that I do think it possible she had a larger role in the murder then she claims.

According to her: she and Todd were in bed between 11pm and 1am and she "heard noises" during this time. The noises were not investigated.

At 230a, she and Todd drove into town for something to eat. This is the only part of her story that is independently verifiable and presumably, was verified. She claims to have dropped Todd off at 3am and gone home at that point.

Todd was killed around 315am (I am suspicious of such an exact time, honestly), with blood evidence pointing to the bedroom as the place of attack (pre-luminol, it is clear that full blood evidence was not had, so it's impossible to determine this with absolute certainty). The body was moved into the living room and the scene cleaned; there is some question as to whether it would have been possible for one person could have moved it alone.

The case against Mahfuz Huq, honestly, does not seem incredibly strong and much rests on how much weight you place on Christie’s story. Between 11pm and 1am, Mahfuz was allegedly seen by two witnesses walking along the road towards the direction of Todd’s house. We are given no information as to the credibility of these witnesses or any more specific timing.

Christie claims Mahfuz called her about 430am from his parents’ house. This call should be able to be verified as to the time, if not content. Presuming the time of death is correct, this would give Mahfuz a little more than an hour to murder Todd, move his body, clean the scene fairly well, and walk ten miles home. Not impossible, certainty, but a tight time-line.

The only other physical evidence mentioned in the segment linking Mahfuz to the crime were “several” cigarette butts in Todd’s yard supposedly from Mahfuz’s favorite brand. Pre-DNA, they could not be conclusively linked to Mahfuz and may or may not still exist to be tested.

There is no doubt Mahfuz had a motive, but, frankly, I could buy Christie being the killer. If Mahfuz is ever captured, I think the State will have a tough time proving their case, unless (and, of course, it wouldn’t be shocking, there is much UM held back).
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #48
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Here is my question. Why in the world would you date a guy (Mafous) who stole $100,000 of jewellry from his own aunt! That alone gives very little credibility to not only our boy Mafous but Christie as well
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #49
Lakeboy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
The thing with Mafous is that he is 5'10" and 160lbs. correct? In the pictures of him he is not broad shouldered. He has a small frame. Todd looked to be of a solid proportion. Too big for a SINGLE man on his own to carry him. If Mafous grabs his legs and Christie his arms then that scenario is possible.

Either way she isn't telling the entire truth. This explains the refusal to take a polygraph. I'll throw another name out here of a suspect refusing to take a polygraph - Mike Morris. We all know what we think of him. If I were at the center of a brutal killing and had the opportunity to clear my name and grab some credibility I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Christie didn't, and to me that is an epic fail.

Also if she left Todd's at 3am and returned at 7am that is very little sleep. Why return to his house 4 hours later? Why? Sleep in for crying out loud. Just strange, Christie

This has always bothered me too. Why go home at 3AM only to return at 7AM??? She said her father would be mad if she did not come home. Her father was probably asleep most if not all of this time. That makes no sense.
Lakeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #50
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Here is my question. Why in the world would you date a guy (Mafous) who stole $100,000 of jewellry from his own aunt! That alone gives very little credibility to not only our boy Mafous but Christie as well
It doesn't go to her credibility, just her poor taste in men. Mahfuz claimed to her that "it was all his cousin's fault." She claimed to believe this; so at best, she's naive and at worst, she's lying and enjoyed dating the "bad boy."

Christie does come off incredibly bad in the segment: dumb, promiscuous, and self-centered.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #51
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso
It doesn't go to her credibility, just her poor taste in men. Mahfuz claimed to her that "it was all his cousin's fault." She claimed to believe this; so at best, she's naive and at worst, she's lying and enjoyed dating the "bad boy."

Christie does come off incredibly bad in the segment: dumb, promiscuous, and self-centered.
Well you are probably right. She is not the first or the last girl to pick the jerks. But it is one thing to pick a bad apple (bad boy) and another thing to rub shoulders with serious criminals. Maybe Christie does fall into the category you described but it doesn't help her out at all
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #52
Kane

Quote:
She is not the first or the last girl to pick the jerks. But it is one thing to pick a bad apple (bad boy) and another thing to rub shoulders with serious criminals.
This has compelled me to comment on the matter. Regardless of one's feelings about Christie (positive or negative), there is at least one thing that I find difficult to dispute: If she hadn't broken up with Todd Kelly in the first place, Todd would still be alive.

While reuniting with a former sweetheart can sometimes be a good thing, you have to be very careful as to how you go about doing that. I mean, the Todd Kelly murder case is a tragic example of how parting ways with a sweetheart can sometimes come back to haunt you.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #53
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Actually, according to the segment, Christie started dating Mafous after she and Todd had broken up and she was away at college. Todd wanted to marry her right out of high school and she said she wasn't ready at that age. She rekindled her romance with Todd towards the end of her relationship with Mafous so it was Mafous she was actually cheating on. Not the other way around.

I don't think she had anything to do with the murder other than giving Mafous a ride home after he probably threatened her. That may be why she refused to take a polygraph test.

I agree that Todd's dad came across like a jerk in the segment. But I guess that can be expected when a parent loses a child. His anger may stem from the fact that he probably thinks Christie knows where Mafous is hiding out or where he went immediately after the murder and she isn't saying anything. But that's just a guess.
Hey, it's been a couple months since I've posted (just catching up now ), but you're right, I sometimes forget she got back with Todd after it didn't work out with Mafous.

Honestly to me Christie seemed like one of those 80s Valley Girl chicks...maybe kinda into partying or not that deep, but likable, sweet and certainly not capable of anything criminal. I mean, she broke it off with Mafous after he and his buddies got arrested, and he became possessive.

Personally I think Mafous threatened her into helping him clean up the crime scene or at least giving him a ride afterwards. The reason she might've refused to take a polygraph was that (in her mind) if she confessed that, they might've leaned on her too hard and thought she killed Todd. She probably thought she was protecting herself - heck, both from the police and Mafous!

Of course I understand both sides of the issue. It did make her look guilty in a sense, but we also have to look at things from their perspective to understand their way of thinking. I'm not saying she's a "dumb blonde" or anything, but maybe it just didn't cross her mind. She did seem genuinely hurt and sorry in the interview to me.

Yeah, I admit the thing with going home for a couple hours does sound a little weird. She was young, butl an adult (Todd was 19 in 1989, so she was probably the same age)... maybe her parents were old fashioned or still treated her like a kid, who knows.

I think my main beef with Vernon Kelly isn't so much that he was deadlocked on Christie's guilt. It's more that he didn't come across like a father who'se son was murdered (either by means of showing emotion and/or anger)... I can't quite explain it, but he talked like a hardened police investigator or something and didn't even seem to personalize anything about Todd, at least in the parts they showed. Then again, him being angry that his son was murdered is very understandable. Maybe he thought "if this girl hadn't broken up with my son, he'd still be alive", which is probably true, sadly.
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #54
BuggerOff
Occasional Poster

removed

Last edited by BuggerOff; 02-13-2011 at 08:44 PM.
BuggerOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #55
radiohead33
Frequent Poster

this case is an example of this boards inhabitants overthinking the issue. i think christie was naive and didnt think much would happen as a result of dating 2 guys at the same time, or whatever she was doing.

She and todd were lying in bed, when somone busts into the room and murders he boyfriend. that would frighten and scare the hell out of anyone. what could she do? She couldnt outrun mahfouz, and she was cornered, she was most likely nude, and in bed, and caught of guard.

what could she do? While not alerting police of your involvement in the case, in a coverup is a sin as far as im concerned, she most likely felt she would be killed if she didnt assist mahfouz clean up the scene.

Again, this isnt the wackers or some other case where mystery or questions exist. its straight forward.

she had 2 choices. one, she could freak out and start trying to flee the room and trying to escape, thus showing mahfouz she didnt like him anymore, and she could seriously risk getting butchered along with todd. again, what physical defense did she pose to mahfouz, who had a knife and could harm her?

Or she could go along with mahfouz, maybe tell him she loved him and not todd, after the murder, and to go along with the cleaning up and all that if for no other reason than she was trapped in a house all alone with a man who had murdered her boyfriend and by all evidence could do the same to her.

again, i dont really blame her for her actions post murder, she obviously cleaned up the scene to avoid being murdered, but again, to not immediately the next day, come out and say thats what happened, is unforgivable
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #56
radiohead33
Frequent Poster

i also dont think an overt threat had to have transpired between mahfouz and christie after the murder for her to help him. the situation itself was the motivation to help. She didnt want to be murdered. again, you all are overthinking this...
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #57
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggerOff
First of all...I know the guy, he was my favorite math teacher in middle school and his recent extradition caught everyone by surprise.
During one class, I remember him telling me never to smoke because the only reason he started was because of a girl (where he is undoubtedly referring to Christie)
Also:

where the key word is AFTER. It seems like to me that he changed his way of living after meeting Christie or she controlled him well enough to do what she wanted. She might not have been so dumb after all.

new thread: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/....php?p=4521825
-kev007
Are you seriously going there? Look, I know it has to hurt finding out that someone you knew and liked did something so horrible, cruel and cowardly. But let's not sugarcoat this. This is murder we're talking about here.

You're basically stating that every bad thing Huq did was because of Christie. You're even going so far as to guess that he started smoking because of her. Even if Christie was the most controlling girlfriend that ever lived, that's no excuse. Huq still pulled out a knife and ended a human life. And he should have to suffer the consequences for that whether he was your favorite teacher or not.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #58
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

Ok, here is my input about going home at 3 as opposed to staying the night. If I had gone home at 3 at that age there would've been trouble with my parents, but not as much as if I had been out all night. - go home at 3 you are late getting home. Go home at 7 you have stayed out all night. you are in bigger trouble for staying out all night than for coming home late. Same as when my daughter was that age. Some of you might not see a difference, but I do/did.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #59
Thiussat
Forum Regular

I agree that Christy is suspicious and knows more than she is telling. But that's not really the point I wanted to make. I had a comment to make about polygraphs.

I was watching a special on Gary Ridgeway the other night (Green River Killer). The segment said that the police had been suspicious of Ridgeway many years before he was finally caught. They actually picked him up and brought him in for questioning all the way back in the 1980's. During this interview they cleared him. Why? Mainly because he passed a polygraph! Now we know that Ridgeway was guilty all along, and it makes one wonder if the polygraph test is partly responsible for more deaths! If the polygraph had been accurate, the police may have looked at him much more seriously and caught him before he killed a lot of other women.

Several spies that were spying for the Soviets passed polygraphs given by Americans. The husband of one of BTK's victims FAILED a polygraph placing him under a cloud of suspicion for killing his wife. BTK later confessed and it turns out the husband had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Moral of the story: most serious scientists in human behavior (psychologists) do not believe in polygraphs. There have been numerous studies done on polygraphs and the results are not favorable. The only people who claim polygraphs are accurate are those people whose profession it is to administer them, and those people cannot be considered objective for obvious reasons.

I don't blame anyone who is a person of interest in an investigation for refusing a polygraph. It's the right thing to do. What if you're innocent and you fail it? Your life will become hell all because of pseudoscience.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #60
economistman192
Frequent Poster

I'm wondering why she would refuse to take a polygraph. No one suspected her, what harm would it have done? That makes me suspicious of her.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote