Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
slasherman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
On the contrary, the case has been solved. It just took more than two decades to identify the killer and bring him to justice. George Hicks was linked to the murders through DNA.

He was convicted of the crime last year, and given a sentence of life in prison. However, since he is already serving a lengthy prison term for an unrelated sexual assault, the life sentence he was given for killing Roxann and Kristopher is not expected to begin until the year 2024, at the earliest.
thanks God for DNA ..thanks for updating me
..anybody got a picture of how garbage look like ? Interesting to compare him with the police sketch..
slasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
synthisislab
Forum Regular

This case was featured in the book Murderers Among Us by Stephen G. Michaud, which is a great read if you're into unexplained deaths and the like. Heather, do you have this segment on one of your UM volume discs yet? I think I saw it when it was first aired sometime in the late 80s.
synthisislab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #18
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthisislab
Heather, do you have this segment on one of your UM volume discs yet?
Yes its on volume 3. My opinion is it may have been a sexual motive. UM didn't mention this but Roxann was raped by Hicks and he had been convicted in the past of rape. Its just heartbreaking to think of what they both went through the last few minutes of their life.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
synthisislab
Forum Regular

I lost my copy of the book mentioned above, but went used bookstore hunting and came across a book entitled Reward (Paulette Cooper and Paul Noble) that I used to own back when it was new on the shelf and it also features this case along with a bunch of other unsolved crimes, some of which were featured on UM or AMW. It says in that book that she was not sexually assaulted and then focus on the brother's drug connection. In fact the title of that chapter is The Pusher's Sister. So was the guy they caught the black fellow in the composite? And did they identify the Mexican or Native American that was the black fellow's companion? Also, what ever became of the victim's brother?

And I also would like to know why the composite of the male looks like Dr. Evil. Kidding.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthisislab
It says in that book that she was not sexually assaulted and then focus on the brother's drug connection.
Well not sure which source to believe but here's a thread with a link to an article I found about the crime that says she was raped. Isn't that how they linked him, through dna?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...=Roxann+Jeeves
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #21
synthisislab
Forum Regular

It's weird because the book sites Lt. Larry Forsyth about details in the case and how the killer left a baggie containing a lemon extract bottle with formaldahyde for people to spray on marijuana cigarettes to make sherm sticks. So I guess he pursued the drug angle. Isn't that what UM focused on as well?

The book also says that the victim's brother Kurt got convicted of a drug charge, went to prison, got out and went to buy some pot. He flashes some money in the wrong part of town and 6 hours later turns up murdered.

It also describes the killer in his early to mid 30s, frizzy shoulder length hair, with a possible pinky horseshoe ring, a heavy keloid scar down the middle of his right hand, and called himself G-man. Also, according to the book, the man who picked up the killer at the gas station drove a 4-door 1954 Buick with faded green paint and rear fins.

In addition to the baggie containing the formaldahyde in the lemon bottle, he left behind a gun hoster with some markings, and they believe the murder weapon was an antique .38 Smith & Wesson, not your normal Saturday night special. Then there was also a black knit cap with a small pin that said "Super Sh*t".

So I wonder if the guy they matched DNA on got convicted of this and if he is the black fellow that they suspected back when this case got some exposure on UM and in these books. Or is it another guy entirely and the composites are just some of Kurt's shady friends that just got falsely associated with the case.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
synthisislab
Forum Regular

So it was the black guy in the composite. Since I was unable to find a picture of George Hicks, I came across this article that confirms it was the guy with the stocking cap that was with the Mexican/Native American girl with the black eye (another of his murder/rape victims???):
http://http://www.texnews.com/1998/2...A_testi48.html

"DNA testing leads to charges in 1981 murder case

Tuesday, April 8, 2003

DALLAS (AP) - In the 21 years since a mother and her 5-year-old son were found shot to death in rural Dallas County, the image of the two lying dead beside each other has stayed with law enforcement official Larry Forsyth.

"You look at those pictures, and you can see why I've kept it," said Forsyth, who originally handled the case and is now second in charge at the Dallas County Sheriff's Office as executive chief deputy.

With the help of DNA testing, investigators have found the man who they believe killed Roxann Jeeves, 30, and her son Kristopher Korper on Dec. 23, 1981, the boy's birthday.

DNA testing on hair and other evidence preserved from the case pointed to George Washington Hicks II, a Texas inmate, as the killer, sheriff's office spokesman Don Peritz said.

Peritz said Monday that Hicks was charged on March 24 in the shooting deaths of Jeeves and her son.

Authorities believe the two were taken from the parking lot of their North Dallas apartment complex and shot in a field in southeast Dallas County. Their bodies were found by a sheriff's deputy who searched the area after noticing Jeeves' car parked on the road with its door wipe open.

Investigators said Kristopher was shot once with a .38-calier pistol pressed to the center of his forehead. They believe that Jeeves was forced to watch her son's killing before she was pinned down, held by the throat and shot twice in the head.

Investigators said the suspect left behind several clues in Jeeves' car, including two hairs found in stocking cap. However, DNA technology needed to test such evidence didn't exit in 1981 and the DNA matching tests the state began doing in 1989 would have meant destroying the evidence in order to test it -- a risk Forsyth was not willing to take, Peritz said.

"Even as his career evolved, he never let the case go," Peritz told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for its Tuesday editions. "Then, a year ago, he passes one of our crime scene detectives in the hallway and just sort of casually asks him if DNA testing has gotten any better, if we could test without losing the evidence, and the guy told him, 'Sure!'

Investigators used the state's Combined DNA Index System and found a match with Hicks.

Authorities are still looking for an unidentified woman who witnesses say they saw with Hicks at Jeeves' apartment complex the morning of the murder. The woman may be a material witness or an accomplice, although it is possible that she does not know the murder occurred, Peritz said. Authorities plan to release a composite image of the woman, believed to be an American Indian about 25 at the time of the killings, at a news conference Tuesday.

Investigators are hoping the woman will be able to tell them if the woman and her son were taken against their will. If they were, that would allow prosecutors to pursue capital murder charges because the two would have been killed during committing another felony.

Charges must be in line with the state's law in 1981. Unlike now, killing a child and committing a multiple murder were not factors allowing for the death penalty, Peritz said.

Jeeves' parents, Bob and Bonnie Jeeves, said news of about the suspect does little to heal the loss of their daughter and grandson.

"After all these years, it was sort of a shock," Bob Jeeves told The Dallas Morning News for its Tuesday editions. "It closes the door a little bit, but not entirely. After Larry called us, Bonnie and I talked about it, and naturally it brings tears."

Hicks, 52, has been incarcerated since 1994 and is currently at a prison in Huntsville serving an 80-year sentence for aggravated sexual assault, said Texas prison spokesman Larry Fitzgerald. Concurrent with that sentence, Hicks is serving two 15-year sentences for aggravated sexual assault and robbery by threat."
Old 04-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #23
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Oh wow, I found the whole chapter from Murderers Among Us by Stephen G. Michaud about this case that detailed almost everything, but left out that she was raped: http://www.stephenmichaud.com/murderers.htm
So the killer was a major druggie and a possible rapist too. I think in another article I read, they matched up hairs from that hat that was left in the victim's car, so they didn't need semen to determine who the killer was. I think that is a huge fact to not release to the public, especially by Larry Forsyth, who made this case an obsession. Was the rape aspect only embellished later by the press? And maybe the Mexican girl didn't know anything about this. I wonder what the details are about how and why she left.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
mattc
Forum Regular

I'm really surprised, given the horrible nature of the crime (rape and child murder), that this monster did not receive the death penalty (especially since it was in Texas). I know he'll never get out of prison, but I would think this type of crime would be exactly why the death penalty exists in that state.
Watching the segment, it is hard to believe it took 21 years to catch the guy... he was at the scene of the crime when the police got there, and he was at a gas station for 20-30 minutes waiting for an accomplice to pick him up. I'm really surprised it took this long... I guess people are right that maybe there were not too many cops on the street at the time due to christmas being a few days away.

What a horrible crime.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #25
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

The reason George Washington Hicks did not get the death penalty was because he was sentenced under 1981 laws. At that time in Texas it was a lot harder to give the death penalty than it is now. In 1981 in Texas killing a child and committing multiple murders did not make it death penalty eligible like it would now. Hicks had to be charged in accordance with 1981 law. So Hicks was sentenced to life in prison. His 80 year prison sentence will not be over until 2024, so he will not start serving the life sentence until then, he will be eligible for parole after 15 years of that as in 1981, if you were sentenced to life in prison for murder in Texas you became eligible for parole after 15 years.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #26
mattc
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
The reason George Washington Hicks did not get the death penalty was because he was sentenced under 1981 laws. At that time in Texas it was a lot harder to give the death penalty than it is now. In 1981 in Texas killing a child and committing multiple murders did not make it death penalty eligible like it would now. Hicks had to be charged in accordance with 1981 law. So Hicks was sentenced to life in prison. His 80 year prison sentence will not be over until 2024, so he will not start serving the life sentence until then, he will be eligible for parole after 15 years of that as in 1981, if you were sentenced to life in prison for murder in Texas you became eligible for parole after 15 years.
Thanks for clarifying that for me! I appreciate it. I was wondering why in the world he wasn't given the death penalty. Thanks again. What a horrible crime. I'm so glad that the family has some sense of justice.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Should have been fried like a Kentucky chicken this pathetic excuse for human life.
sdb4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #28
Kerouac98
Occasional Poster

anyone know if they ever found Hick's supposed accomplice?
Kerouac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #29
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerouac98
anyone know if they ever found Hick's supposed accomplice?
I highly doubt it. A person the caliber of Hicks wouldn't rat out someone else I am assuming. He's in the drug dealing business and the last thing he would want would be having someone else in prison after him for fingering the accomplice (if she had friends in prison that is).

Besides it was 22 years that it took them to catch him. He may not even know her whereabouts either since he was in prison for so long. A name would be nice though.

By the way, Roxanne looked like such a pretty woman, I feel sorry for her fiancee as well who was never interviewed. But the most underrated thing not brought up is her scum of a brother who would have been rolling with this type of crowd
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #30
idol
Forum Regular

Saw this case last night, very sad. Good to see the garbage is behind bars.
idol is offline   Reply With Quote