Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #106
NYSleuth
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
My best friend got married in Key Biscayne two years ago. My hotel was in downtown Miami and I was very, VERY impressed. I loved it.

The night before the wedding, the rehearsal dinner took place at a steakhouse in Coral Gables. As we were driving to the restaurant, my inner UM nerd came out and I began thinking, "this is where Judith Hyams lived."

Sometimes I felt like I was in a foreign land, though. It seemed almost every restaurant we went to (and our tour through the Florida Everglades) my friends and I were consistently the only people who spoke English.
Coral Gables is a decent, mainly Cuban American neighborhood with some very upscale areas, great restaurants and shopping. I have been there only a few times, so don't know much about it other than that. That is why I would love to know what it was like in the 1960s.

In my opinion, Key Biscayne is the most beautiful town in Miami. Did you do some biking while there? Yes, Miami and a lot of South FL (E. Coast) is a place where you need to know at least a little bit of Spanish to feel comfortable. I took about 7 years of Spanish in school (jr. high, high school and college), and knew practically nothing of the language. My few years living in Miami made me pretty much fluent.

Funny, I never think of Judy Hyams when I'm in Miami. It's a very happy place for me, and her case really saddens me (and creeps me out).
NYSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #107
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

It's funny how our minds do that from time to time.

Slightly off topic... A friend of mine was in Florida a few weeks ago. Out of the blue he sent me a beautiful picture of the beach and said, "All I can think of is the Oba Chandler case." (There's a way to ruin a beautiful Tampa Bay beach scene if I've ever seen one...)
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #108
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
In case anyone wonders, or doesn't know, her full name with the correct spelling is Judith Carole Himes, and not "Hines" or "Hyams".
The UM profile page lists it as "Hyams", as do a couple of old articles found in Google News:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1191961&hl=en

I've always been pretty certain "Hyams" is the correct spelling. As far as I know, the only major source to spell it as "Himes" is the Charley Project, which might be where the confusion came from.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #109
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
The UM profile page lists it as "Hyams", as do a couple of old articles found in Google News:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1191961&hl=en

I've always been pretty certain "Hyams" is the correct spelling. As far as I know, the only major source to spell it as "Himes" is the Charley Project, which might be where the confusion came from.
Not sure why there's a debate. I thought y'all had heard that she was alive and living in Omaha.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #110
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci

Slightly off topic... A friend of mine was in Florida a few weeks ago. Out of the blue he sent me a beautiful picture of the beach and said, "All I can think of is the Oba Chandler case." (There's a way to ruin a beautiful Tampa Bay beach scene if I've ever seen one...)

Oba in his younger days looked like someone who was getting ready to double cross Crockett and Tubbs, you know? A real scumbag.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #111
flytrapp
Forum Regular

Quote:
Not sure why there's a debate. I thought y'all had heard that she was alive and living in Omaha.
THAT'S why no one could find her! They were going through the Omaha phone books trying to find her but had the incorrect spelling. Mystery solved
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #112
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

I guess it is "Judith Carole Hyams" after all. My mistake. I wasn't debating it, I just wish her name was easier to remember how to spell, so that people don't misspell it and cause confusion.

I do have a question though: Is her case in an open or closed status?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #113
dynoguy88

Quote:

I tend to do that with basically any U.S. city that was the location of a UM case. That's why I refer it to my inner UM nerdness.

We talked about this in another thread. Florida was always a bizarre "MVP" for UM cases. If you had a map of Florida and threw a dart at it, chances are pretty high that the dart would land on a city where some horrible crime happened that was featured on the show. It was THAT frequent in the sunshine state.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #114
NYSleuth
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I tend to do that with basically any U.S. city that was the location of a UM case. That's why I refer it to my inner UM nerdness.

We talked about this in another thread. Florida was always a bizarre "MVP" for UM cases. If you had a map of Florida and threw a dart at it, chances are pretty high that the dart would land on a city where some horrible crime happened that was featured on the show. It was THAT frequent in the sunshine state.
So true, FL is full of UM cases.
NYSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #115
MegtheEgg86

Was thinking about this case today and read this entire thread again when I got home. I'd never actually read the letter to Coral Gables PD in full, in which it states the cause of death was an "immediate allergic reaction to an anesthetic".

True allergic reactions to anesthetic gases are relatively rare, and further, they are rarely "immediate". But back in 1965, more primitive volatile anesthetics like halothane were heavily utilized. In an untrained or poorly trained person providing this drug, it can be easy to overdose the patient, especially if there is inadequate monitoring and resuscitation equipment available. Additionally, these kinds of anesthetic gases are well-known for triggering malignant hyperthermia in susceptible individuals, and if left untreated, this condition will kill the patient. It stretches the imagination to think that an illegal abortion clinic in 1965 would have the drugs on hand necessary to treat MH, and I'm not even really sure it was standard of care to have those procedures and drugs ready to treat the condition during surgery back in the mid-60s. Although grossly overdosing a patient on halothane might bring about some immediate symptoms such as depressed breathing rate and depth, the first signs of MH are noticeable mainly on anesthesia monitoring equipment in an intubated patient (such as end-tidal CO2). The late signs would not require this kind of equipment and could be plainly observed.

All of this to say that I think this response to the CGPD drives home the state of the clinic Hadju was running. I don't think Judy died from an allergic reaction nor from complications of the actual surgical procedure--I think she died because she was administered anesthesia drugs by untrained or poorly trained personnel without proper equipment. I also strongly feel the person who wrote the letter was present during that procedure because he or she felt it necessary to include words to the effect of "everything that could have been done was done". This, combined with the rationalization that it must have been an allergy of Judy's, rather than incompetent care, that caused her death seems to indicate somebody trying to alleviate his or her conscience. Just a feeling I had.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #116
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
I also strongly feel the person who wrote the letter was present during that procedure because he or she felt it necessary to include words to the effect of "everything that could have been done was done". This, combined with the rationalization that it must have been an allergy of Judy's, rather than incompetent care, that caused her death seems to indicate somebody trying to alleviate his or her conscience. Just a feeling I had.
Do you think the person who wrote the letter was also linked to the phone calls?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #117
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
Via a quick internet search, it looks like Donna Doohen still lives in Sioux City. Age 70, which would translate to 19 in 1965. Only a few years younger than Judy. Logical to be a friend -- the one who recommended the clinic? -- or perhaps an employee at the clinic itself. I found a link indicating Donna Doohen once held a cosmetology license in Florida. Could be legit but I was wondering about the listed professions of those workers at illegal clinics. They had to be listed if not licensed as something else, something legal. Cosmetology doesn't sound like much of a reach.

Doohen's listed address from that cosmetology license was in North Miami. Not close -- maybe a half hour -- to where Judy worked at Jackson Memorial Hospital, or the apparent abortion clinic in Coral Gables, which is even further south. I'm not sure where Judy's family lived, or whether the Doohen address was supposed to be her home address or work address. Regardless, I thought I might find a logically close geographical connection but did not. I was born in Miami, live there now, and know the area.

The internet search seemed to reveal that Doohen's family is from Sioux City. Not children but brothers, sisters and others from Donna's generation. That's probably the basic connection to Omaha. Once Doohen had some involvement or knowledge of the Judith Hines situation and/or Hadju's illegal clinic, she felt understandably uncomfortable after being questioned by authorities, and either decided to return home or was encouraged to do so by family members.

Decades later Donna may have held guilt or misgivings about the death, and Hadju's involvement. She either made the phone calls -- likely -- or prompted a relative/friend to do so. I've always suspected the phone calls were designed to target Hadju and hint to authorities to round him up and punish him, more than they had anything to do with Judith Hines. That name was merely the vehicle.

Plenty of that is guesswork. It's plausible, just like those segments I despise during each Perfect Murder episode. They pause and allow the detectives to offer their most likely scenario, given available info at that stage of the investigation. Naturally it always turns out to be wrong. And that's the entire point. Unfortunately the plausible version is often played out in courtrooms, when the state is confident they have the correct perpetrator. The best and most flowing plausible storyline is presented, in high decibel dramatic fashion. They pretend, for example, that they know exactly which swipe was in which order, and what blood trail it produced, along with who and how many were there. Laughable. But that's where we are, early 21st Century. Countless authors have taken advantage in recent decades, knowing darn well that gullible readers and jurors lap up that type of fixation on minutiae. It doesn't have to be accurate or even sensible. Just pick a path, be relentless and loud, flooded with so-called specifics, and suddenly the plausible version is undeniably exactly what happened.

Anyway, I suppose somebody could call Donna Doohen. I doubt she would offer anything but it's greater opportunity than seemingly anything else. I'm not going to do it. The case doesn't intrigue me that much. The basics seem obvious, if sad. I did make several calls years ago in the Richard Floyd McCoy/DB Cooper matter, primarily because it's hilarious that the FBI doesn't differentiate that bizarre case, with hour after hour of suspect risk in a public setting, from run of the mill darkness crimes in which virtually anybody could have pulled it off.
I never paid much attention to this case, because I thought it was pretty open and shut -- there was an abortion that somehow went wrong, a lady died as a result, her body was thrown into Biscayne Bay and the Doctor responsible fled the country.

Randomly coming back to this thread though, I had no idea of the local connection (Sioux City incidentally, is where Annette Schnee--one of the "Orange Sock" victims--is from).

I'd go along with what Meg said too - Judy most likely died due to the careless/improper administration of an anesthetic.

I also think that Donna Doohen wrote the letter. I'd go even further and say she was the one who did the phone calls (why would someone who isn't from the area, make some random phone calls and mention a town that's barely a blip on anyone's radar, if that??), but what others have already mentioned seems to indicate otherwise.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #118
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Do you think the person who wrote the letter was also linked to the phone calls?
I tend to think not, just based on how different the letter is from the calls.

At this point, I surmise one person was responsible for the Steve Brown and "Judy Hyams is alive" calls, a second for the Hadju call, and a third for the letter. I think whomever wrote the letter was almost certainly present for the procedure and may have even assisted, and that the person responsible for the first phone calls was somebody close to the clinic--perhaps this Donna Doohen. The Hadju caller could've been anybody who had contact with Hadju and learned about the 1989 Herald article about the Hyams case, as it was published between the second and third calls.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #119
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
At this point, I surmise one person was responsible for the Steve Brown and "Judy Hyams is alive" calls, a second for the Hadju call, and a third for the letter. I think whomever wrote the letter was almost certainly present for the procedure and may have even assisted, and that the person responsible for the first phone calls was somebody close to the clinic--perhaps this Donna Doohen. The Hadju caller could've been anybody who had contact with Hadju and learned about the 1989 Herald article about the Hyams case, as it was published between the second and third calls.
I too have always thought the 3rd call was unrelated to the first 2. Your theory makes perfect sense. I still don't know why the "she's alive" phone calls planned on accomplishing though. That still baffles me.

ETA: I just thought of something. What if someone known to Donna Doohen was the one making the calls? On the surface, it seems like someone is trying to gain attention to the case as if they want to clear their conscience. But that doesn't make sense to claim she was still alive and in Omaha. I wonder if Doohen told someone over the years what happened, and this person knew or heard of Scherer being in the area so they started the phone calls as a way to gain interest in the area of Omaha with the hopes of finally reaching a resolution? Maybe this person felt guilty for being told this secret and wanted to clear their conscience this way without totally throwing Doohen under the bus?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #120
flytrapp
Forum Regular

TheCars, great theory with Donna Doohen. I agree that could be possible.

I was thinking of another theory involving Donna. What if someone known to Donna, who also knew Donna was working with Hadju, asked her what happened, and Donna's response was "Nothing happened to Judy, she ran off to Omaha years ago". This person, who might have doubted Donna's story, then decided to make the phone calls in order to reignited the investigation...and also just to see if there was any truth to Judith being alive in Omaha. Just another theory.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote