Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #76
baloony
Forum Regular

I don't know if this would affect the case any, but Steven Brown (the DJ in Omaha) has since died. He was the individual that someone impersonated when they called Captain Shear the first time. It always struck me as odd as to why a DJ was chosen as a pawn in this whole thing.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #77
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloony
I don't know if this would affect the case any, but Steven Brown (the DJ in Omaha) has since died. He was the individual that someone impersonated when they called Captain Shear the first time. It always struck me as odd as to why a DJ was chosen as a pawn in this whole thing.
Very odd indeed.

I still think it was someone the DJ knew.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #78
flytrapp
Forum Regular

Great find on the article about this Donna person! Her location makes the most sense as far as being the possible female caller. And like a couple of other people said, she was probably trying to do the right thing, and it probably made the most sense for her not to come forward (in her mind) if she had already been in trouble for involvement in something similar.

Another possibility is that someone who used to know Judy (not excluding this Donna) actually thought they saw her somewhere. Not wanting to involve themselves they threw the DJ into the mix and made the anonymous phone calls.

As far as the knowledge of the DJ's personal phone number, that really could have happened in ANY way. Someone could have lost their address book with his number in it and a random person found it. Person A could have given it to person B and they gave it to person C, etc. Stretching it even further, the DJ could have been having an affair(s) and didn't want to come clean about who he had really given out his number to because his family would find out. Way too many variables as to why someone selected him or how they got the number.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #79
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Judy might not be alive but Steve Brown is, strange listening to him speak on YT he reminds me so much of Walter White.

sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #80
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
This is kind of a unique enigma for UM in that the central mystery seems to have a pretty simple, logical solution, but the side story involving the phone calls is SO baffling. Searching though old newspaper articles about the case, it seems that even back in 1965, most people believed that Judith died during a botched abortion and that her body was disposed of. The case probably wouldn't be that mysterious without the phone calls, but they're so weird that the pieces don't quite fit together.
I don't know who made the calls, whether it was a hoax or not, but I join everyone in being baffled by it. Because if it's a hoax, it's a pretty damn bizarre one. Why would a hoaxer make phone calls and stir up attention for a case that had been cold for years and probably only a few cops in a specific area knew about? This was long before the Internet was everywhere, so can't say that it was done by a true crime buff who stumbled onto the case on a website or something.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #81
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow
I don't know who made the calls, whether it was a hoax or not, but I join everyone in being baffled by it. Because if it's a hoax, it's a pretty damn bizarre one. Why would a hoaxer make phone calls and stir up attention for a case that had been cold for years and probably only a few cops in a specific area knew about? This was long before the Internet was everywhere, so can't say that it was done by a true crime buff who stumbled onto the case on a website or something.
Exactly. A total of 25 years had passed since Judith's disappearance when all of those phone calls were made. The internet wouldn't arrive for another 3 years. The only people who would have known about Judith were the residents of the Coral Gables/Miami area in the 1960's.

The Nebraska connection is also baffling because of the calls coming on the heels of the officer's conference in Nebraska. The hoaxer would have to be a person who lived in Coral Gables in 1965 and just so happened to be at that Nebraska conference in 1990 (which seems HIGHLY unlikely) or a southern Florida resident who decided to mess with police and mentioned Nebraska as part of an unbelievable coincidence. Whatever the case, it's bizarre as hell.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #82
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Ultimately, I think the calls were probably from someone who assisted in the abortion who felt guilty, and that by claiming she was still alive, would bring attention to the case.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #83
RobinW

I re-watched this segment recently and I still think the whole episode with Steve Brown is the strangest part. I didn’t pick up on the fact that the caller who impersonated Brown provided Captain Scherer with TWO callback numbers: his own number and the number for a “source” who supposedly had information about Judith Hyams.

The first number turned out to be the radio station Brown worked at, which Scherer called when he got a hold of the real Steve Brown and learned Brown never actually phoned him. The second number for the “source” who supposedly had information about the Hyams case turned out to be Brown’s home number. Brown then claimed his home number was unlisted and that very few people knew it, and did not think any of the people who had access to his number would go to the trouble of impersonating him to call the Coral Gables police and inquire about a 25-year old cold case he had never heard of before. I'd be interested to know if the police officially ruled everybody out who had access to Brown's home number.

I totally think the whole thing being orchestrated by someone who was personally involved in the abortion, but the unwitting involvement of Steve Brown is just one of the most random things ever.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #84
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I re-watched this segment recently and I still think the whole episode with Steve Brown is the strangest part. I didn’t pick up on the fact that the caller who impersonated Brown provided Captain Scherer with TWO callback numbers: his own number and the number for a “source” who supposedly had information about Judith Hyams.

The first number turned out to be the radio station Brown worked at, which Scherer called when he got a hold of the real Steve Brown and learned Brown never actually phoned him. The second number for the “source” who supposedly had information about the Hyams case turned out to be Brown’s home number. Brown then claimed his home number was unlisted and that very few people knew it, and did not think any of the people who had access to his number would go to the trouble of impersonating him to call the Coral Gables police and inquire about a 25-year old cold case he had never heard of before. I'd be interested to know if the police officially ruled everybody out who had access to Brown's home number.

I totally think the whole thing being orchestrated by someone who was personally involved in the abortion, but the unwitting involvement of Steve Brown is just one of the most random things ever.
I had forgot about that part, and that there had to be at least 2 people involved. That had to be someone Brown knew, or someone who knew his number knew.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #85
MegtheEgg86

A few pages back I posted a link (which now appears to be broken) to a news article that reported a person of interest--someone personally associated with Hadju at the time of Himes' disappearance--who moved to Iowa about 90 miles away from Omaha, NE shortly after Judy went missing. I don't know if this person ever moved on to Nebraska, or if she was the person indeed responsible for the calls, or even if she was personally involved in or at least aware of the botched abortion, but I thought it was an intriguing find.

I guess if she were indeed responsible, I would wonder what compelled her to draw attention to the case at that particular time, and in that particular manner.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #86
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnDude
for whatever reason NOTHING in this world gives me goosebumps like this exchange. Even 25 years later and having heard it a million times. I am reciting it from memory so I may miss a few words...

"Captain Sherer"

"Judy Hymes is alive, and she lives in Omaha"

"Who is this?"

"Judy Hymes is alive, and she lives in Omaha."

"Can you tell me...."<click>

yyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
For real, this segment is a top 5, easily, on the creepy list. The production of that exchange in particular is just willies-inducing, and the case itself and the whole business with the DJ and even the "resolution" which doesn't completely resolve, all of it is just as creepy as all holy hell.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #87
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

She disappeared a day after my dad was born. Eerie. I too feel that Judith, not wanting to face humiliation from her family, went and had an illegal abortion, then dying as a result (blood loss, infection, etc). In today's world, Judith would have had more options, whether she would have wanted the baby or not. I feel bad for her and I wonder what her family ended up thinking after all this time?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #88
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
A few pages back I posted a link (which now appears to be broken) to a news article that reported a person of interest--someone personally associated with Hadju at the time of Himes' disappearance--who moved to Iowa about 90 miles away from Omaha, NE shortly after Judy went missing. I don't know if this person ever moved on to Nebraska, or if she was the person indeed responsible for the calls, or even if she was personally involved in or at least aware of the botched abortion, but I thought it was an intriguing find.

I guess if she were indeed responsible, I would wonder what compelled her to draw attention to the case at that particular time, and in that particular manner.
When I read that link there was no doubt in my mind that she was the woman calling claiming that Judy was alive and in Omaha.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #89
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86

Interesting. I can totally believe this woman might have been responsible for the "Judith Hyams is alive" phone call. Yet another strange element about the calls is that there had to be at least two different people involved since there were separate calls from a man and a woman. But were both these people personally connected to the abortion, or did the woman somehow convince a male acquaintance to impersonate Steve Brown to make the first contact with police?

Another thing I hadn't thought of is that when the "Steve Brown" caller brought up Judith Hyams, Captain Scherer said he would have to go research the case first and get back to him, which is why the caller provided him with Brown's numbers. What would have happened if Scherer started questioning him about the case during the initial call?
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #90
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

If this was someone looking "to do the right thing," who was somehow involved with the case, it is arguable that the strange calls directly to the detective from a woman may have helped that. But as I recall, those calls came after, and were apparently prompted by, the initial calls to the detective impersonating the DJ. Those calls would seem to serve no earthly purpose, other than just to screw with that DJ, particularly if the intention was then to turn around and call the detective who investigated the calls from the supposed DJ and suggest to him the Judith Hymes was alive. Why bother with the intermediary step of impersonating the DJ? THe only semi-legitimate reason could be to get a detective's attention, but the thought process would have to be: "I know. I'll draw attention to this case by impersonating a Z-list celebrity from a place half a country away from where this thing happened." What a totally strange, strange thing to do. In any event, the almost-as-strange decision to call the detective who responded to the call about the impersonated DJ calls with mysterious whisperings that Judith Hymes is alive would, I would think, be odd enough in itself to have accomplished the same thing.

As there is no proof the two are linked... it really makes you wonder. I agree with those who pointed out that a case that old from a different state would be unlikely to be known to a perfect stranger halfway across the country in 1988 or whatever year it was. Hell, at that time, it was probably unlikely if you talked to any random detective at the Coral Gables police department that s/he would have known about it. The case was cold and forgotten, in all likelihood.

Finally, if the person(s) calling was involved with the abortion, and knew what had happened, why not send a letter confirming what had happened, anonymously, if the person(s) was itching to do the right thing? I suppose the answer might be the person(s) did, and whoever sent the letter after the UM broadcast was the same person responsible for the initial phone calls - but why change tactics so drastically, after the case had gained so much notoriety? If the letter-sender is NOT the person who was responsible for the phone call(s) - but WAS knowledgeable about the situation and was motivated by guilt to draw attention to the case by making the phone calls - why not corroborate the first anonymous letter with a second, similar account, also via anonymous letter?

The whole thing is too weird for words.
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote