Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
AVERMAN
Member
Frequent Poster
 
AVERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 12, 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 241
Default

I don't get it, Coral Gables?? How is that a twist?? (I'm not disagreeing, I just don't understand what it's got to do with anything, excuse my slowness)
AVERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #17
dynoguy88
Member
Senior Member
 
dynoguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01, 2000
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,908
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVERMAN
I don't get it, Coral Gables?? How is that a twist?? (I'm not disagreeing, I just don't understand what it's got to do with anything, excuse my slowness)
Coral Gables was where Judith Himes lived.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #18
mistagee
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 114
Default

Shes totally dead. Blood in a rental car is never a good sign. She died during an abortion. Makes plenty sense to me
mistagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
rerungirl
Member
Forum Regular
 
rerungirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 23, 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 257
Default

I remember an early UM case where a radio talk show host got a call from an anonymous source wanting to give him information on a cold case. The call came in on an unpublished line (not available to the general public) and the talk show host had no idea why someone would call him with the information. Was this part of the Judith Hines episode? If not, does it sound remotely familiar to anyone? I've been racking my brain the last few months trying to remember more details about it, but this is all I can come up with. Oh, I guess I should mention this is not the Beans Baxter episode...with the fake confession in Los Angeles.
rerungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #20
crystaldawn
Member
Senior Member
 
crystaldawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerungirl
I remember an early UM case where a radio talk show host got a call from an anonymous source wanting to give him information on a cold case. The call came in on an unpublished line (not available to the general public) and the talk show host had no idea why someone would call him with the information. Was this part of the Judith Hines episode? If not, does it sound remotely familiar to anyone? I've been racking my brain the last few months trying to remember more details about it, but this is all I can come up with. Oh, I guess I should mention this is not the Beans Baxter episode...with the fake confession in Los Angeles.
Hey! Well in the Tracy Kirkpatrick case a guy did call in on I believe a national "confess your crime" type program. I believe they also played the recording on a local radio station on the 1 year anniversary of her death to see if anyone recognized his voice. Is that the one you're thinking of?
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
boechsner
Member
Senior Member
 
boechsner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 18, 2000
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 2,178
Default

Does anyone have an airdate for the Judith Himes case?
boechsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
Awsi Dooger
Member
Senior Member
 
Awsi Dooger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 18, 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boechsner
Does anyone have an airdate for the Judith Himes case?
There's a thread here where somebody lists the schedule from Lifetime Real Women.

Hope this helps.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 AM   #23
boechsner
Member
Senior Member
 
boechsner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 18, 2000
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 2,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
There's a thread here where somebody lists the schedule from Lifetime Real Women.

Hope this helps.
Well, actually, I meant when did it originally air, on NBC? I'm pretty sure it aired during the 1990-1991 season or the 1991-1992 season.

But thanks for your help!
boechsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #24
kamy
UM Fanatic
Forum Regular
 
kamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 25, 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerungirl
I remember an early UM case where a radio talk show host got a call from an anonymous source wanting to give him information on a cold case. The call came in on an unpublished line (not available to the general public) and the talk show host had no idea why someone would call him with the information. Was this part of the Judith Hines episode? If not, does it sound remotely familiar to anyone? I've been racking my brain the last few months trying to remember more details about it, but this is all I can come up with. Oh, I guess I should mention this is not the Beans Baxter episode...with the fake confession in Los Angeles.

Actually, I just watched the Judith Himes case and one of the first leads the Coral Gables cop got when he returned from Nebraska was a phone call from a radio station dj (in Omaha) who hosted a show and said that he recieved info from an annonymous caller who claimed to have info about Judith Himes. The cop in turn contacted the station but they had never heard of Judy Himes or Captain Scheer.

I'm really torn on what I believe happened to her, but it seems that because the dj story cannot be validated that it easily could have been a prank along w/ the creepy phonecall. You can't exactly validate the letter that the police got either, but they believe it is legit.
kamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #25
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house
Moderator
Senior Member
 
LooksLikeCRicci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 27, 2005
Posts: 3,736
Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci
Default

I agree that this is one of UM's creepier segments. When I was little, it scared the bejeezus out of me!

I also fall in the camp that believes the letter is legit. Given the time that Judith Himes disappeared, it's totally plausible that she died during a botched abortion and that her body was disposed of in the bay.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #26
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

I would imagine that the phone call and the letter are legit. The case was decades old at that point, so whoever was behind it must have had some knowledge about the case.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #27
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 01, 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,136
Default

It's unrealistic to think she would just run off and move towns and just not contact her friends or family after all this time.

She probably died as a result of a botched abortion, the doctor and maybe a nurse or other associate hired the rental car under Judith's name, put her body in the car (which explains the blood stains) and dumped her body in the bay.

Sad and probably true.

Also if the number which got traced back to Hadju's address in Budapest was correct why wasn't he extradited back to the US for quesitoning?
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
Necco
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2006
Posts: 1,101
Default

According to the Doe Network, that information regarding the phone number for the doctor came in 1989. There are a few reasons why this might not have been followed up.
-The statute of limitations was probably up.
-I'm not sure what the extradition treaties were in 1989, but the current ones weren't signed until 1994 and enacted in 1997.
-Hungary was a little busy dealing with changing their entire political climate and the subsequent economic ramifications.
-Unlikely as it may be, perhaps the doctor involved was a covert agent of some sort at some point in time either before or after the incident in question.

-Necco
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #29
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,840
Default

I just watched this story recently. I believe the sequence of the phone calls was as follows...

1. The detective in Coral Gables (I believe his sirname was Sheer) received a phone call from a radio DJ who said a person had called his show claiming to have some information on the Himes case. Sheer was unfamiliar with the case and asked the DJ if he knew how to contact the caller. The DJ affirmed. Sheer told the DJ he was going to research the case and call back.
The DJ provided Sheer with his personal unlisted home phone number. When Sheer called the DJ back at his unlisted number, the DJ had no idea who Sheer was or what he was talking about. The DJ was actually interviewed on UM and he seemed genuinely confused by the whole thing. Obviously, someone had impersonated him and gave Sheer his unlisted number, but who?

2. Detective Sheer received an anonymous phone call from someone who only said "Judith Himes is alive and she lives in Omaha" - the famous line.

3. Sheer received a third phone call from a man who claimed he worked for the FBI in some capacity. The man said he had just come back from Hungary where he had spent some time talking with "Dr." Hadju. He provided Sheer with Hadju's phone number and it was traced and shown to belong to him.

The Lifetime version of this episode completely deletes mention of the first call, so that is where some of this confusion is coming from.

The third phone call initially struck me as very odd. If they had Hadju's number, surely they could have followed up and arrested him as he was a fugitive.

The only thing I can figure is that Hungary was/is one of those countries where we don't have an extradition treaty. I also recall that the statute of limitation had run out (for the illegal abortion I presume) so perhaps that is why the lead about Hadju was not pursued. UM did mention that the police believed that Hadju was NOT responsible for any of the phone calls.

A few weeks later, UM aired an update to the effect that they had received an anonymous letter indicating that Judith was dead and had died during the illegal abortion. The police believed the letter was legitimate.

So, is Judith Himes alive and living in Omaha? If the phone calls were some sort of a prank, it was very well executed and also very esoteric. Well executed because the pranksters somehow got the DJ's unlisted number and possibly Hadju's number. Esoteric because the people involved - the radio DJ and Detective Sheer were both unfamiliar with case, as the public at large probably would have been at that time. At the time Sheer began receiving the calls, he had just returned from Omaha where he had given a lecture. However, he didn't mention the Himes case or have any knowledge of it as it was closed and 25 years old.

Kind of like the letters from Flint, Michigan indicating that Kari Lynn Nixon was alive. Someone was very fixated on that case. Someone else seemed to have a similar fixation on the Himes case.

Last edited by justins5256; 10-22-2008 at 12:22 PM.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
MegtheEgg86
Member
Senior Member
 
MegtheEgg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 4,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I just watched this story recently. I believe the sequence of the phone calls was as follows...

1. The detective in Coral Gables (I believe his sirname was Sheer) received a phone call from a radio DJ who said a person had called his show claiming to have some information on the Himes case. Sheer was unfamiliar with the case and asked the DJ if he knew how to contact the caller. The DJ affirmed. Sheer told the DJ he was going to research the case and call back.
The DJ provided Sheer with his personal unlisted home phone number. When Sheer called the DJ back at his unlisted number, the DJ had no idea who Sheer was or what he was talking about. The DJ was actually interviewed on UM and he seemed genuinely confused by the whole thing. Obviously, someone had impersonated him and gave Sheer his unlisted number, but who?

2. Detective Sheer received an anonymous phone call from someone who only said "Judith Himes is alive and she lives in Omaha" - the famous line.

3. Sheer received a third phone call from a man who claimed he worked for the FBI in some capacity. The man said he had just come back from Hungary where he had spent some time talking with "Dr." Hadju. He provided Sheer with Hadju's phone number and it was traced and shown to belong to him.

The Lifetime version of this episode completely deletes mention of the first call, so that is where some of this confusion is coming from.

The third phone call initially struck me as very odd. If they had Hadju's number, surely they could have followed up and arrested him as he was a fugitive.

The only thing I can figure is that Hungary was/is one of those countries where we don't have an extradition treaty. I also recall that the statute of limitation had run out (for the illegal abortion I presume) so perhaps that is why the lead about Hadju was not pursued. UM did mention that the police believed that Hadju was NOT responsible for any of the phone calls.

A few weeks later, UM aired an update to the effect that they had received an anonymous letter indicating that Judith was dead and had died during the illegal abortion. The police believed the letter was legitimate.

So, is Judith Himes alive and living in Omaha? If the phone calls were some sort of a prank, it was very well executed and also very esoteric. Well executed because the pranksters somehow got the DJ's unlisted number and possibly Hadju's number. Esoteric because the people involved - the radio DJ and Detective Sheer were both unfamiliar with case, as the public at large probably would have been at that time. At the time Sheer began receiving the calls, he had just returned from Omaha where he had given a lecture. However, he didn't mention the Himes case or have any knowledge of it as it was closed and 25 years old.

Kind of like the letters from Flint, Michigan indicating that Kari Lynn Nixon was alive. Someone was very fixated on that case. Someone else seemed to have a similar fixation on the Himes case.
I'm 99.9% sure the letter is legitimate, but there's still a tiny speculative voice in me that doesn't let me go the other .1%. Judy signed herself in at the doctor's office where she was scheduled for a pregnancy test as "B. Kenney." I wonder if she was in fact living in Omaha under that name, or perhaps some other assumed one, and someone was aware of it. It might be something of a stretch, but it was something I immediately considered when watching the segment the first time.
__________________
"Why is she lying?, it makes me wonder. What is she hiding?, it makes me wonder."

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.