Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Renews Freshman Fall 2019 Class; Fox Schedules 9-1-1 Spin-off for Midseason 2020
Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
wiseguy182

I'm willing to be that "company", if you can call it that, went belly up shortly afterward. Patel doesn't strike me as being bright enough to run a successful organization.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #32
wiseguy182

I think another striking thing is that Patel originally stated that he wasn't in the car, then later recanted and admitted that he was. To me, this says 2 things: 1) it further proves he's a liar, and more importantly, 2) not only was he the last known person to see her alive, we can also place him directly at the murder scene. Not only was he at the restaurant, he was in her car. What's especially important about this was that 2 weeks prior to Joan's death, her daughter specifically told her not to allow Patel into her car. Which she didn't. Patel, quite frankly, has no business being in her car and if he admits to being in there, it's pretty obvious why he was in there.

Sorry, but this must have been a really inept police department.

I can't remember, did the segment ever talk about the weapon?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #33
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
What gets me is that Patel had her insured for $250,000. That seems like an extraordinary amount of money to insure someone working for a tiny start-up that apparently can't even pay its employees. He had the motive and he had the opportunity.
But he didn't receive a dime of the life insurance. It was paid off to her family and charities, IIRC. Makes no sense to kill someone and not collect the insurance. That was the part of the segment that made Patel seem the most believable, IMO.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #34
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
But he didn't receive a dime of the life insurance. It was paid off to her family and charities, IIRC. Makes no sense to kill someone and not collect the insurance. That was the part of the segment that made Patel seem the most believable, IMO.
That may be, but it doesn't make any sense insure an employee in a very small company for a quarter of a million dollars, either.

Perhaps after doing God-knows-what with seven months' worth of her wages, Patel may have planned to cash in on the insurance, hesitating only after a suggestion by another one of his employees to donate the proceeds. It could be, in fact, a crafty trade-off: he doesn't get the payout, but he gets the admiration of outsiders and a built-in "testament" to his character.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
That may be, but it doesn't make any sense insure an employee in a very small company for a quarter of a million dollars, either.

Perhaps after doing God-knows-what with seven months' worth of her wages, Patel may have planned to cash in on the insurance, hesitating only after a suggestion by another one of his employees to donate the proceeds. It could be, in fact, a crafty trade-off: he doesn't get the payout, but he gets the admiration of outsiders and a built-in "testament" to his character.
I know absolutely nothing about business or insurance policies, so I may be dead wrong, but I don't see how Patel could have gotten access to the insurance payout and kept the money for his own personal finances. Wouldn't this have been an incredibly stupid thing to do, if an insurance investigator or even law enforcement official found a large lump sum of money transferred to Patel's account? That would be a dead giveaway that he was the one who murdered Joan. And if in fact he balked at the suggestion of a coworker to donate the money, why on Earth would he have gone through all of the trouble to murder Joan in the first place? He went through great lengths in planning the murder out (even going through a trial run when he kept showing up at Joan's house), and then when he actually goes through with it and murders Joan, he does a 180 and agrees to donate the insurance payout at the suggestion of another employee...it just doesn't make sense. Another question I have is why Joan? There was at least one other employee insured for the same amount, why wasn't this person offed? It wasn't like Joan found out about some shady business activity, the segment makes it clear that she wanted to quit because she wasn't getting paid. So why murder her when the easiest thing Patel could have done was simply let her quit and cut ties with her?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #36
wiseguy182

It's exactly as Meg said. Stack said that Patel hadn't seen a penny of the insurance money (and it's unlikely that he ever would) so Patel is free to throw out the line of donating it in an attempt to strengthen his character. The thing is -- Patel had already damaged his character so badly at that point, it was beyond repair.

I don't know if it was so much a matter of Patel spending Joan's wages, rather I think it was probably a matter of the company not making any money to begin with. I don't know much about it, but would there be a huge market for a shuttle service from Texas to Las Vegas?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #37
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The motive for Joan's murder still makes no sense to me. The only thing she was threatening to do was quit the company, because she wasn't getting paid. So instead of simply saying, "Ok fine, you can quit", Patel instead decides to murder her? There's nothing online about this case outside of the UM wiki and UM's website, which sucks because I'd like to know if there's information left out of the UM segment that would make it more clear as to why the cops haven't charged him with anything.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #38
jjwest23
First Time Poster

Hi all, does anyone know where/how I could get hold of this particular episode of UM? Thanks...
jjwest23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #39
Victoria81
Forum Regular

Watched this again this morning...why couldn't they get the shirt? Could they not get a warrant?
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #40
everprincess
Frequent Poster

I think maybe she knew too much. I can only imagine what he was doing on his books. If he is taking out life insurance out on employees, not paying them..etc...what else is he doing? I'm willing to bet something illegal big time and she probably knew it. She probably told him at dinner that you better pay me or I'm going to blow the whistle. Who else is going to shoot her and leave that jewerly behind? Just a thrill killer who happens to kill her? Nah..he is guilty as sin and he looks like a total guilty person on UM. I hope some bad karma finds this man if the LE isn't going to put him behind bars.
everprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #41
WishfulDreamer

Just rewatched this one after about a decade.I had completely forgotten the details.

I wonder if they could test the vomit sample again? Technology has vastly improved after twenty years. Perhaps this time they wouldn't get an inconclusive result. It's too much of a coincidence that it contained the exact food he consumed at dinner. It sounds like he shot her and (having never committed murder before), vomited after committing the crime. Biking around without the shirt on (that likely had her blood and his vomit on it) over his shoulders and refusing to give it to the police, while lying on camera= highly suspicious. He may not have received the money, but he certainly wouldn't have known that to be the result at the time of the crime.

Also, did he or did he not own a gun? Do they have proof of him owning one? I can't believe that they haven't been able to pin this on him. It may be "he said, she said" between Patel and Joan's daughter, but authorities have proof about the bounced checks and other problems with the business that would have compelled her to leave.

So you're telling me he's the last one seen with her alive, she's shot in her car, and vomit that coincidentally matches exactly what he ate right before is next to the car, and he's completely innocent? That's just laughable.

I can only imagine how frustrated her family is. They're pretty sure they know who did it and can't get it solved and justice served.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #42
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I had forgot about that bit with the vomit. The case against Sam Patel is largely circumstantial, but most murder cases usually are. I wonder what's holding them back from making an arrest. Do they think Patel was involved but not necessarily the trigger man?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #43
everprincess
Frequent Poster

I rewatched it this weekend since I was cleaning out the DVR and in the very beginning of the segment it was stated "business partners". So maybe that is why she was murdered. Again I just can't see how a "thrill killer" just happened to be wanting to kill Joan and then leave behind her jewerly.
everprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #44
Judyhymesisalive
Wadada
Forum Regular

It's been a long time since i've seen this episode, i've looked online but there isnt much online. Did Sam Patel ever go to trial? Or has anyone been charged?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #45
NYSleuth
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyhymesisalive
It's been a long time since i've seen this episode, i've looked online but there isnt much online. Did Sam Patel ever go to trial? Or has anyone been charged?
I saw this segment recently. Her former business partner, Sam gave me the creeps. He hadn't paid her for her work in months, and the night she decided to quit, she had dinner with him...and was murdered. His business took a life insurance policy of $250K USD on her and it was not made clear in the segment if that settlement went to her family or charity, as Sam claimed.
NYSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote