Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-16-2003, 01:23 AM   #1
bb25
Forum Regular

Default Physical comedy bits...

Since I haven't seen too many episodes of this show, can someone give me a list of some of the more memorable physical comedy bits and their respective episodes? I know this show was bigger on one-liners and musical comedy, yet every Ball show had to have at least some slapstick fun. I'm sure the most physical episode of this show had to be "Lucy the Fixer" (which I have seen), with all the special effects and burlesque-ish fun...

Just also thought I'd share one of my fave lines from one of my favorite eps..."Lucy the Matchmaker"

Viv: "I spent $30 on expensive perfume and he has to go in the kitchen and smell a $3 pot roast. I should've put a dab of gravy behind each ear"
bb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
SPLAIN
I Love Lucy

Just saw skiing with Dinah Shore and she did these classic bits on skis, down the stairs, yes again, like on the Lucy show, and three or four times on top of the bed. Lucy never looked or acted her age, what energy that woman had.
SPLAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:55 PM   #3
bb25
Forum Regular

Anything else?
Old 07-25-2003, 05:35 AM   #4
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Lucy getting her legs caught in the "Lotus Position" from "Where Is My Wandering Mother Tonight" (Ep #143). I LOVE that scene, and it amazes me that Lucy, was in her 60's, had just recovered from a broken leg, and was still THAT limber.

"Lucy and Joan Do Jury Duty" the scene where Lucy and the other jury member couldn't talk about case outside of the courtroom, so she acts out what she thinks happens. Basically it's pantomime, but of course, no one did that like Lucy.

"Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot" the scene in which Lucy takes a pottery class to repair Harry's broken vase...that she broke,lol.

"Lucy Is Really In A Pickle" - Lucy: "I hate pickles" (I do to...EHHH! lol). The scene(s) in which she is in the pickle outfit.

"Lucy and Mannix are Held Hostage" - The scene in which Lucy and Mannix are tied together and most maneuver there way to the phone to call the police. In "The Lucy Book", Mike Connors says it was Lucy's idea during rehearsals to bounce the chairs over to the phone instead of just sliding them. IMO, it definitely adds to the scene. I LOVE THIS EPISODE!

"Lucy and The Astronauts" - The scene in which she's quarantined with the astronauts (and Harry), and one of the astronauts can't sleep (He's having a bad dream...lol, sparked by something Lucy said), Lucy wakes up and goes over to confront him. It's kind of difficult to explain what happens, but if anyone has watched this episode, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a hilarious scene, one of my favorite episodes.

"Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars" - This episode is filled with physical comedy/slapstick. Lucy getting dunked in the dunking booth. Harry opening the closet door in the office and thousands of cans come raining down upon him (It'll make sense once you've seen it). Lucy and Kim pretending to be counterfeiters.

"Lucy The Laundress" - Lucy steam presses her hamburger into a rather large pair of prancing pony boxers, lol.

"Lucy The Cement Worker" - The scene in which she uses the jack hammer to get Uncle Harry's ring out of the just cemented sidewalk.

"Lucy The Conclusion Jumper" - The fight scene between Harry and some guy in line at the courthouse (They were in a courthouse, correct? I forget), which leads to everyone line, including Lucy fighting.

"Lucy The Process Server" - The scene in which Lucy and Harry search for Harry's money in the garbage.
That Other Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:22 AM   #5
bb25
Forum Regular

Thanks for all that info! I really wish they'd put this back on the air, along with TLS...all this great comedy just collecting dust on a dark shelf instead of entertaining people like it was meant to...I don't know why the Arnaz kids don't do anything about that either, it would be more royalty $$$ for them, so that stumps me as well...ah well, it's bound to be back on sometime or another...anyway, were there any really good slapstick scenes when Viv guest starred? Seems like most of the times she guested it was just verbally funny eps instead of physical, but that's still good, if not better sometimes...anyway, thanks again for the info!
Old 07-26-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

IMO, the Arnaz kids may be asking to much for the show. I'm do not have anything to base that on, jmo.

Anyway, your welcome.

The most slapstick/physical comedy scene on Lucy and Vivan was in (IMO) "With Viv As A Friend, Who Needs An Enemy". Viv has taken Lucy's old job at the employment agency, and Lucy wants it back, so she schemes with Harry (who's sick of Viv...she's so good he has nothing to do anymore, lol). They try to convince Viv that Lucy has basically gone "bonkers" without a steady job. The scene features Lucy dressed as an "old senile lady". It's a pretty funny scene.

She did 1 episode a season for like the first 3 or 4 seasons of the show. I'm sure there was more slapstick hilarity (LOL) between Lucy and Viv featured, the episode above is just the only one that comes to mind.

Actually there was alot of "slapstick comedy" featured on Here's Lucy.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #7
bb25
Forum Regular

Yeah, basically all of her series was full of it. Even on "Life With Lucy" she did a sort of dangerous stunt with a bucking lawn chair. Keep in mind that she was close to 80 years old at this time and instead of being funny everyone just thought it was dangerous...

I always wondered why Viv didn't guest on any more shows after "With Viv as a Friend" I know she was having health problems, but they didn't start almost until this series ended. She could have easily came back during 72-73, and possibly even 73-74...maybe they just didn't think to...
Old 07-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by bb25
Yeah, basically all of her series was full of it. Even on "Life With Lucy" she did a sort of dangerous stunt with a bucking lawn chair. Keep in mind that she was close to 80 years old at this time and instead of being funny everyone just thought it was dangerous...
Ageism at it's "best", unfortunately for Lucy...

Quote:
I always wondered why Viv didn't guest on any more shows after "With Viv as a Friend" I know she was having health problems, but they didn't start almost until this series ended. She could have easily came back during 72-73, and possibly even 73-74...maybe they just didn't think to...
According to "The Lucy Book" (have I expressed enough how much the author of this book annoys me........Just checkin' lol) She found a lump in her breast and under went surgery months after she shot that episode, and that was followed by a minor stroke.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:48 PM   #9
bb25
Forum Regular

Well since that ep was aired in early 72 (Valentine's Day actually), it was most likely filmed sometime in mid-late 71, and Viv (according to her biography) didn't find the lump until early-mid 73, which is why I still think she could have made at least one more appearance...
Old 07-27-2003, 02:33 PM   #10
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Oh, apparently my "favorite" author got something wrong, lol.

If your info is correct (and I have no reason to doubt it) I agree Viv could have appeared in another "Here's Lucy" episode.
Maybe, she just didn't want to portray that character anymore, or a "semi-retirement" of the character. Considering she did eventually come back for one more Lucy episode/special.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:58 PM   #11
bb25
Forum Regular

Yeah, you're probably right, and, according to Viv's bio (The Other Side of Ethel Mertz) the pair did have a falling out in the mid-70s, to the point where Viv couldn't even bring herself to go to Lucy's house, turning around once in Beverly Hills and visiting Desi instead. It doesn't go into detail, but apparently between 1972 and 75 they must not have talked very much...after that though they were best friends once again, with the famed "last visit" by Lucy & Mary Wickes to Viv in her last months, and Viv's touching, heartfelt letter she wrote to Lucy on her deathbed...I mean, how can you work with someone in that capacity for THAT long, and not be friends? To me that would seem impossible. I just can't believe all the books and people that say they were strictly boss-employee from beginning to end...
Old 07-27-2003, 09:09 PM   #12
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I just can't believe all the books and people that say they were strictly boss-employee from beginning to end...
I not a big fan of alot of the books concerning Lucy. I won't go into it, in fear of igniting some long discussion on Lucille Ball Biographies. I'll just say, some authors go for what will sell instead of the full truth.

How reliable to you consider 'The Other Side of Ethel Mertz', I've heard stuff in both ways on the book. What's your take?

I bet Vivan wouldn't have been to pleased with that title, though!
Old 07-27-2003, 09:21 PM   #13
bb25
Forum Regular

Well I for one love the book. I do believe it is mostly factual, with interviews from people who were really close to her, including close friends, her sisters, and neighbors - I mean, why would they stretch the truth? The rest of the book (I've really only read from the I Love Lucy period and onward), seems to be pretty good, with alot of the info just a reprint of what every author seems to say, which is generally factual I think...I don't know, if you can't believe the accounts of those who were closest to Vivian herself, who can you believe?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:51 AM   #14
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Well I for one love the book. I do believe it is mostly factual, with interviews from people who were really close to her, including close friends, her sisters, and neighbors - I mean, why would they stretch the truth? The rest of the book (I've really only read from the I Love Lucy period and onward), seems to be pretty good, with alot of the info just a reprint of what every author seems to say, which is generally factual I think...I don't know, if you can't believe the accounts of those who were closest to Vivian herself, who can you believe?
As with Lucy bios, sometimes the people interviewed, although they may have been close to Lucy, do not have her best interest in mind when they give their interview (that's just my opinion). Also, I feel the writers sometimes tend to favor those quotes that are more "juicy" and more "gossipy". Most of the time those types of quotes are not the most reliable and/or factual. It's very easy to twist facts into something untruthful to fit whatever you're trying to portray.

I don't know, I guess it's all a matter of perception. Do you feel the author did his or her best to tell the truth and provide a fair and balanced portrait of that person's life, or did they manipulate things to fit the story that they wanted you believe?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:36 AM   #15
bb25
Forum Regular

Have you ever read The Other Side of Ethel Mertz? I really don't care if most of the stuff in the book isn't the absolute dead-on truth because some people actually took the time to write and collaborate and put effort into a biography on one of the most unsung character actors ever. Vivian Vance was wonderful, and up until then, she was just known as frousy Ethel. That's all people remember her for. Well this book portrays just a normal human being. A kind, loving, funny, spicy, scandalous, human, woman. Not just a one dimensional person with a one-dimensional life that doesn't need a book. Sure, the authors may have left out some things, but what's in there I'm sure Viv would be fine with. Why am I so passionate about this? Well, for a time I though Ethel was better than Lucy. When I told people this they thought I was nuts, but really, even at a younger age, I could tell that she was not just a simple co-star in a popular show. I've come to realize now that Lucy deserved to be and fit the "Star" quota, and she is definitely my favorite, and the driving force between the two, but you can't deny the fact Lucy wouldn't be Lucy without Ethel or Viv by her side...anyway, I'll take what these hard-working authors give the public, because it's basically all there really is, unless you know Lucie & Desi Jr. Arnaz personally, or any of Lucy's living co-stars, I really don't think anyone can know the WHOLE truth, and maybe not even then would everything be revealed...