Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #181
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Obviously the video quality on these Amazon streams are much better than what we've all been accustomed to over the years and is better than I expected. I love that they kept it in the original broadcast 4:3 aspect ratio and didn't feel the need to stretch it to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Totally cool.

The big standout here to me though is the audio. I'm watching these with my 7.1 surround sound on and these episodes are very loud. Whomever did the audio remastering on these did a really fantastic job. I cannot even begin to express how truly impressed I am with audio quality.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #182
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
It's weird (but good) seeing these old Eps in greater quality than grainy taped off TV VHS. Weird seeing them in the quality I originally did as a kid. Any chance of the rest of the Stack seasons coming to Amazon?

They have an update on Micki Jo West. This is how they did the update (no voiceover, just update music).

everybodylovesrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #183
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

They did a story on an orphan train. They have Robert narrating info about Francis - but there's no plea like "contact us if you have any information". They abruptly go to the next case.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #184
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

No real complaints though. Just that we need a new host to do new cases (in this format or a similar one). Otherwise this is like Christmas seeing the old versions in good quality
Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #185
UM_FAN_79
Frequent Poster

I had the chance to watch a few episodes yesterday and overall I'm pretty happy. I was a little disappointed while watching the Hot Jock episode (#24) that they edited out the ending with Robert Stack giving a description of the truck along with the police sketch of the truck. I'm assuming they did this in order to edit out Robert Stack informing viewers to call the 1-800 number. We can probably expect the last 10 or 20 seconds to be edited out of many episodes.

They also replaced the original announcer's voice in the very beginning of each episode informing viewers that "this is not a news broadcast" with a younger sounding new announcer. Another slight bummer, but not a deal breaker. I'm just happy as hell to see these episodes to begin with.

Also, the Wikipedia episode info doesn't match up with the Amazon episode info. For example, some familiar segments like Audrey Moate/Thomas Hotard is listed on Wikipedia, but not on Amazon. I found that segment in episode #21.

Here's my take on the episodes so far:

PROS:

1. They kept the original theme music (Thank God)

2. Nice original standard definition quality

3. They kept the closing credits, although it goes by fast because they added in the unsolved.com info.

4. They did a nice job of adding text updates and have kept the original update music in at least 2 episodes that I've seen so far, but they most likely edited out Robert Stack's voiceover giving us the update info himself.

CONS:

1. They edited out Robert Stack telling viewers to call 1-800-876-5353 and completely took the number off the screen, basically wiping that number and the ending of some episodes out of existence. Major Bummer!

2. They replaced the original announcer at the very beginning with a younger new announcer. It sounds cheesy and lame compared to the original guy with the deep voice. Was it really necessary to do that? Not a deal breaker, but a slight disappointment.

CONCLUSION: Pretty close to how it originally aired, with some light butchering. It is probably worth springing for the Amazon Prime membership. I'm just happy as hell to be seeing these episodes in high quality and some segments that I haven't seen since the show originally aired, like the buried gold treasure.
UM_FAN_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #186
alistaircranium
Frequent Poster

Has anyone heard anything about Unsolved being available outside of the US? I can't believe I don't get to watch it. :-(
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #187
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UM_FAN_79

CONS:

1. They edited out Robert Stack telling viewers to call 1-800-876-5353 and completely took the number off the screen, basically wiping that number and the ending of some episodes out of existence. Major Bummer!

2. They replaced the original announcer at the very beginning with a younger new announcer. It sounds cheesy and lame compared to the original guy with the deep voice. Was it really necessary to do that? Not a deal breaker, but a slight disappointment.

CONCLUSION: Pretty close to how it originally aired, with some light butchering. It is probably worth springing for the Amazon Prime membership. I'm just happy as hell to be seeing these episodes in high quality and some segments that I haven't seen since the show originally aired, like the buried gold treasure.
My guess is that the phone number is not functional. They haven't used it for years (at least in syndication) so I'm assuming they don't want or can't take messages there. Also, since they have Unsolved.com they don't need the phone number. I agree it would have been cool and iconic to hear, though.

I wonder if the original voice-over guy has some copyright on the disclaimer. They didn't use him on Lifetime and they didn't use him now, so it makes me think there is a reason they can't. I love the original disclaimer. I'll get over this version but the original voice guy did have an awesome sound.

So far I have been nothing but impressed with the redone versions. This is great stuff!
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #188
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium
Has anyone heard anything about Unsolved being available outside of the US? I can't believe I don't get to watch it. :-(
They said it was coming and so far they have been true to their word on everything else, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time. They probably need to finalize all the legal stuff.

I hope it comes to your area soon!
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #189
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Regarding the original voice over guy who did the, "This program is about Unsolved Mysteries..." and why they replaced him: I'm not 100% sure, but I think he was an employee of NBC and not UM directly. Once the show left NBC I think those intros were eliminated altogether, no? I'm of the opinion that the network recorded those intros themselves and tacked them on to the beginning. If that were the case, then it would make sense that they can't use them now since they technically never belonged to UM in the first place. Just a thought.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #190
Jenna_Nicole105
Frequent Poster

I've even noticed things that aren't on the bootleg DVD'S (or by proxy The Lifetime reruns) I always knew that Lifetime cut stuff, but never realized how much.

The Dottie Caylor segment is a good example, they have interviews towards the end completely cut from the Farina version, but also The Lifetime version as well.
Jenna_Nicole105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #191
Jenna_Nicole105
Frequent Poster

I'm mostly interested in seeing what episode instantly jumps out at me as "yes I watched this one as a kid"

I watched the show fairly religiously, but I was also quite young (born in 79) so haven't yet come across an episode where I can instantly recall watching it in it's original form as a child, but know it's only a matter of time.
Jenna_Nicole105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #192
UM_FAN_79
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Jock
Regarding the original voice over guy who did the, "This program is about Unsolved Mysteries..." and why they replaced him: I'm not 100% sure, but I think he was an employee of NBC and not UM directly. Once the show left NBC I think those intros were eliminated altogether, no? I'm of the opinion that the network recorded those intros themselves and tacked them on to the beginning. If that were the case, then it would make sense that they can't use them now since they technically never belonged to UM in the first place. Just a thought.
Your theory makes sense. You could be right.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #193
UM_FAN_79
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna_Nicole105
I'm mostly interested in seeing what episode instantly jumps out at me as "yes I watched this one as a kid"

I watched the show fairly religiously, but I was also quite young (born in 79) so haven't yet come across an episode where I can instantly recall watching it in it's original form as a child, but know it's only a matter of time.

I'm the same age and was a religious watcher. The one that jumps out at me is the Queen Mary episode. I just watched it a few minutes ago. The ghosts and the footprints popping up out of nowhere...wow...I totally remember that. I haven't seen this episode for 25+ years. This is one creepy episode.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #194
U.M. Fanatic
Forum Regular

Haven't posted in a long time, but I am elated that we finally have the original Unsolved Mysteries back to enjoy over and over again.

One little nitpick I noticed on the Dexter Stefonek episode. They end the episode before they describe what the killer's truck looked like, I remembered this part because I have it recorded off of Lifetime. It seemed like a weird edit to me, but I could be wrong.

I'm just happy we can watch these episodes again!
U.M. Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #195
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna_Nicole105

I was born in 79 as well. The one that jumped out at me right away from when I first watched as a 10 year old was Friends till the End. The scene at the beginning with the boys laying on the tracks freaked me out as a little kid for a long time.
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote