Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
wiseguy182

Whoa! Check out THIS. Somebody from elsewhere online copied and pasted this Craigslist ad they found before it vanished from the internet forever. This was literally weeks after Steven disappeared.

I am looking for Mr. Steven xxx - Black Jack expert - 30 (Excalibur)
Date: 2010-01-05, 11:47PM PST
Reply To This Post

We met at Excalibur in Las Vegas on 12th of Dec - we were two hungarian girls who asked your help to learn playing Black Jack..
And you were very kind and didn't give it up teaching us as long as we needed...We had really a great time: laughing a lot next to the table!
There was only one thing: you were said about something - even though you won.. I hope everything is fine with you.

Actually I was smiling at you and that was it..., as I was not brave enough to step forward (I was the one who didn't play).
But here is the New Year, so I decided to try to find you and tell you that you impressed me a lot.. more than anyone else ever...when shall I say it if not this time, eh?

Happy New Year - when all your dreams come true!
Truly Yours, xxx
The hungarian girl

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

What do I think of that? The name matches, the age matches, and the location matches! The account of his demeanor (very kind but sad) may also fit.

What if he really did gamble in Las Vegas? The Hungarian girl says he won. Was Steven using the money to pay off a debt? Did he not have enough? There are people in that community that would have been well off enough they could have loaned him money, but what did he spend it on?

Henderson is 20 minutes away from Vegas. Did somebody recognize him from the day before as having won a jackpot and take advantage of the situation? It could have been a chance encounter. If it was Steven Koecher the Hungarian girl was referring to in the Craigslist ad, she might not have had any idea he disappeared the day after. Or maybe she did.

This is going to be the new Maura Murray.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #17
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

Wow that's a really interesting Craigslist post! I've long suspected Craigslist was involved in this Disappearance somehow, but that pesky police comment how there was no evidence on Steven's computer...then again, I remember in the Casey Anthony case, investigators forgot to search Mozilla Firefox and wound up majorly botching the case, so you never know! (Although this particular Craigslist ad is interesting b/c it wouldn't have necessarily left evidence on *Steven's* computer...

*I believe the white SUV seen on surveillance video has been confirmed to be a real estate agent who was showing homes in the area that day.
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa
*I believe the white SUV seen on surveillance video has been confirmed to be a real estate agent who was showing homes in the area that day.
ah, ok. That makes sense, actually. It would explain the timing (precise noon) and additionally the turn-around in the cul-de-sac as she probably wasn't 100% familiar with the area. I had noticed that Steven never turns his head to look at it, so he didn't think it was suspicious. That puts a significant piece of the puzzle into place.

That puts me right back to square one. This was one of the first few Disappeared cases I ever watched, and I think it had initially just got lost in the shuffle for me. But now that I realize there are so many layers to this case, it has intrigued me. I know there are some more nuggets to this case I have yet to uncover.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #19
wiseguy182

Here's a really interesting article that provides insight as to Steven's state of mind at the time. The author suggests he might have developed amnesia.

http://dogservant.blogspot.com/2012/...n-koecher.html

I think that Steven no doubt felt frustrated that the only jobs he could get were handing out flyers and putting up Christmas decorations, jobs that wouldn't even require a high school diploma.

How sweet that he helped two children locked out of their house just the day before he vanished.

I do admire the father for being a realist (unlike Fred Murray). He wanted to find out what happened, even if that meant uncovering something that Steven did wrong, or didn't paint him in the best light possible (towards his family anyways).

There's also some interesting eyewitness sightings in a Best Buy parking lot in this article.

I have another theory: Considering Steven kept items like blankets and a shaving kit in his car, I wonder if he voluntarily decided to become homeless. He was three months behind on his rent, and constantly refused offers from family members to help with finances. I think he probably felt guilty that he couldn't pay his own way and it's possible he decided to become homeless because he didn't want to feel like he was a "burden" to anyone else. His roommate moved out the month before his disappearance, so presumably Steven would have been forced to pay the entire rent on his own accord.

I wasn't aware his trip to northern UT/NV took so long. This article says it was 3 days and a total of 1,200 miles. That's long, especially considering he apparently didn't accomplish what he set out to on the trip.

There are also seems to be some debate as to what he was wearing when he disappeared. Some accounts say he was dressed business-like, others say casual. This would be important in determining conclusively I think, as it may help us to better understand why he was in that neighborhood.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #20
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

With Steven's case, and many other missing person cases, generally we're looking at 3 possible scenarios: Suicide, running away and murder.

He surely had a difficult personal situation and I can understand why people would think suicide but to leave your car in a random neighborhood and walk away to yet another place to end his life...that seems tedious. There's not many areas within walking distance where you could conceal your own body. The most logical place was searched, and that was the area right behind the community...but there was nothing.

Steven could have been gay, he could have started a new life perhaps but why simply leave the car there? It seems more logical and straightforward that he left it there because he was meeting someone and the odds are it isn't someone who is going to just take him in, support him and give him a new life.

I still feel strongly about foul play, I don't know exactly why but unfortunately there doesn't always have to be a reasonable explanation.
Caffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
He surely had a difficult personal situation and I can understand why people would think suicide but to leave your car in a random neighborhood and walk away to yet another place to end his life...that seems tedious. There's not many areas within walking distance where you could conceal your own body. The most logical place was searched, and that was the area right behind the community...but there was nothing.
The Disappeared episode did talk a bit about the area by the community. It looks like it was mostly desert. They did mention they found a used tent in the area and it appeared someone had been living there for several months, but they weren't able to connect it to Steven. Considering it was so close to Vegas, it must get unbearably hot, at least in the summer. I can't imagine anyone living out there in the desert, not long term anyways.

As I stated before, it appeared he was more or less living out of the car in the days and weeks preceding his disappearance. They found items such as blankets and a shaving kit there. It does seem that if he voluntarily disappeared, he wouldn't have left all of that behind. He could have used the car for shelter, heat and cooling, not to mention the things that were in it.

One scenario I have come up with is that he was approached by some bum or vagrant that was living in that area, but not in any of the homes. Perhaps this person asked Steven for help, Steve agreed, but was done in and robbed. What's really tragic about that is that they wouldn't have got much as Steve was broke at the time.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

Robbery is always a possibility anywhere you go, whether this was random or not. Certainly occurrences like that happen to anyone regardless of what they look like. One thing is for sure, he sure traveled a lot before he disappeared and for someone who didn't have much money, it makes you wonder.

There isn't any apparent rhyme or reason for the journey either but it does make you wonder if this was something random or someone he knew was responsible for his disappearance. There's definitely a few people who pique my interest, starting with the landlord who was really starting to get on Steven's case about the late rent, calling him a lot beginning that December and even calling his parents as well.

On Reddit, a reporter who followed the story claimed the landlord was under federal indictment at the time, so obviously that raises some concern. Could he have put Steven up to something illegal and risky to get him quickly caught up in rent? Was Steven in a position where he couldn't turn down a job offer?

At the time Steven was distributing flyers for his boss Travis, who owned a window washing business. It's been said that Travis gave Steven $100 shortly before he embarked on this lengthy car trip. Could this have been gas money? Maybe running some "errands" for him?

One of SK's church leaders was also in Vegas at the time he was. They briefly talked about church activities and Steven supposedly offered to return to Utah to help if needed, but it wasn't necessary. Could there have been another reason why both of them just happened to be in the Vegas area at the time?

And of course, there's the lady in the SUV on the video. Yes, she's a realtor. Yes, she's been apparently ruled out by police. However, you still have to wonder...

If Steven himself didn't set out to pursue something in the Vegas area, I often wonder if he was doing a side job for a known acquaintance. There really is a complete lack of communication and any sort of trail that leads him to Nevada. It makes me wonder if that's because all the details of the trip were discussed in person...
Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

As far as a woman being involved, I think there was some blog where a commenter claimed two criminals, a man and a woman, were staying at Sun City Anthem at the time and made a few remarks about Steven. I tend to take those sort of anonymous postings with a grain of salt but clearly something happened in that neighborhood either in a house or he went elsewhere with someone he met there...so I suppose anything could be possible as many folks in the neighborhood have guest or could be house sitting at any given time.

A lot of folks initially speculated that Steven was gay and just walked away from his life. Initially that would be a good thought, but it's been 7 years now. I doubt he had the animosity towards his family to so something that cold. They likely think he's dead now, it just seems like an uncaring act someone like Steven would not do.

However, if he wasn't gay a female would be an excellent ruse for him to have his guard down. Had he met a female for an appointment of some sort there, he probably would have been more likely to ignore any red flags that may have arose, like someone potentially telling him to park his car in one area and walk to another area in the community.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
wiseguy182

Okay. I found an informative timeline on Steven's disappearance, including movements and events the day of, and the days preceding and after his disappearance. I've copied and pasted some fragments of it. It can be tough to read as things are kind of clumped together and there are some abbreviations I don't understand, but there are quite a few informative nuggets here I wanted to pass on. One abbreviation I understood was KCN, which is KC Naegle, Steven's cousin.

Here is the first batch:

Sat Dec 5 St George, UT unk -------- Second time he acted as "roadie" for RoxDox band. No problems noted. (Source: Paul Doxey on FB)
Sun Dec 6 St George, UT unk unk At church, made appt with SS to hometeach her on Dec 13th at 7pm (source: KCN)
Mon Dec 7 St George, UT unk unk Church Christmas dinner, sat by SS; gave her some of his business cards to display at her work. (Source: SS on FB)

So based on this, we know Steven had an appointment for 7 p.m. on December 13, which was 7 hours after he disappeared. This appears to be some sort of tutoring gig and I wonder if this was a paid job?

Also of note was that he acted as a roadie, and I'm assuming this was a paid job as well.

Next batch:

Sat Dec 12 Near
Overton, NV unk unk A cell phone tower registers a "ping" from Steven's cell phone. May be before or after next event (Mesquite) (Source: KCN)
Mesquite, NV 5:04pm 4:04pm Receipt: $18.08 Mesquite-Mart Shell, 910 W Mesquite Blvdý. Buys 6.07 gal gas (and snacks?) (Source: KCN)
St George, UT 7:58pm 6:58pm Receipt: K-Mart $9.42 (1 baby girl bib, 4 /Christmas ornaments @ $1 suitable for brother Matthew's family, later found in abandoned car). (Source: KCN and Deseret News)
St George, UT 10:00pm 9:00pm Neighbor (JS) sees Steven arrive in his car. (Source: Nikayla)
St George, UT 10:25pm 9:25pm Neighbor (JS) sees Steven leave again in his car, after only having been there for 20-30 minutes. (Source: Nikayla)
Sun Dec 13 Las Vegas, NV area 8:57am 7:57am President Greg Webb calls Counselor Koecher, telling him that he's in Vegas and asks Steven to attend the 11:00am PEC meeting at the ward. Steven says he's in Vegas, but would attend if needed. Webb says he's enroute to St George himself, so will cover it himself. (Source: KCN/phone records/Webb/Doxey)

Based on this, it seems that on the night of the 12th, Steven either slept in his car or must have got lodging somewhere between St. George and Las Vegas because he apparently didn't sleep at his house. I'm guessing that he slept in his car due to the things that were found in there (shaving kit, blankets, etc) in addition to the unlikelihood that Steven could have afforded to stay a hotel. But did he sleep in his car in Vegas? That would be incredibly risky. Someone must have saw him if that were the case. Where did he stay?

This also further reinforces that Steven was all over the place in the days before his disappearance.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #25
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Not to toot my own horn, but I think I just made an important connection here.

In my previous post, I brought up the work Steven did for the "RoxDox" band, just one week before his disappearance. Googling this, I found this page.

http://sunriver.com/the-rox-dox-perf...was-a-success/

Notice that this band played at an age-restricted retirement community in St. George, Utah. Steven disappeared from an age-restricted retirement community in Henderson, Nevada.

This further reinforces the belief that Steven was in Henderson for something job-related. Whether the RoxDox band ties into this at all, I don't know (I know nothing about the actual band itself), but I think it's entirely possible that somebody in the band gave Steven a lead on a job in Henderson. This would also explain why there was no phone calls, e-mails or computer pages to link to this.
Interesting!! I've followed this case for a while and had no idea SK worked as a "roadie." Very intriguing...
Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 AM   #26
wiseguy182

I'm surprised by all of the comments elsewhere that believe Steven ran off with Susan Powell, which is an even more famous missing persons case than this one is.

I have no reason to believe anything other than that Susan was murdered at the hands of her sexually perverted, child-murdering husband, who was the son of an even more sexually perverted man. The only good thing that came out of that whole situation was Josh Powell and his similarly crazy brother taking their own lives.

The theory of Steven and Susan running off together is a nice one, but not one that's terribly likely I'm afraid.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #27
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

Steven definitely seems to be a person who keeps busy. Certainly the roadie gig and church contacts could have potentially brought him to Henderson. He was distributing flyers for the window washing business and his boss gave him $100 right before he left, so he could have possibly been scouting leads for that. However, one would think he'd run the idea by his boss, but you never know. They may have spoke of expanding their clientele in the past and maybe Steven thought it was a good idea.

But with the roadie gig and putting up Christmas lights it seems like he was venturing into odd jobs at the time and this trip might have been no exception. For someone with little money to embark on a trip like this makes you really think it was motivated simply to make money.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #28
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

I definitely think Steven was on some sort of job-related mission when he disappeared.

In my opinion, the key to knowing what happened to Steven is in that neighborhood. The fact that he is seen walking purposefully, folder in hand, almost exactly at noon points to some sort of meeting or appointment...and the fact that he parked far away from said appointment indicates it most likely was shady. Steven was in great need of money, and may have also been slightly naive, as well as in a city known for "swallowing up" young and needy individuals. It was also in the absolute worst of the recession, when people were doing crazy things to make a buck and many were extremely desperate (maybe desperate enough to try and rob or kidnap a nice-looking young man? I don't know...)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #29
Padfoot
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Whoa! Check out THIS. Somebody from elsewhere online copied and pasted this Craigslist ad they found before it vanished from the internet forever. This was literally weeks after Steven disappeared.

I am looking for Mr. Steven xxx - Black Jack expert - 30 (Excalibur)
Date: 2010-01-05, 11:47PM PST
Reply To This Post

We met at Excalibur in Las Vegas on 12th of Dec - we were two hungarian girls who asked your help to learn playing Black Jack..
And you were very kind and didn't give it up teaching us as long as we needed...We had really a great time: laughing a lot next to the table!
There was only one thing: you were said about something - even though you won.. I hope everything is fine with you.

Actually I was smiling at you and that was it..., as I was not brave enough to step forward (I was the one who didn't play).
But here is the New Year, so I decided to try to find you and tell you that you impressed me a lot.. more than anyone else ever...when shall I say it if not this time, eh?

Happy New Year - when all your dreams come true!
Truly Yours, xxx
The hungarian girl

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

What do I think of that? The name matches, the age matches, and the location matches! The account of his demeanor (very kind but sad) may also fit.

What if he really did gamble in Las Vegas? The Hungarian girl says he won. Was Steven using the money to pay off a debt? Did he not have enough? There are people in that community that would have been well off enough they could have loaned him money, but what did he spend it on?

Henderson is 20 minutes away from Vegas. Did somebody recognize him from the day before as having won a jackpot and take advantage of the situation? It could have been a chance encounter. If it was Steven Koecher the Hungarian girl was referring to in the Craigslist ad, she might not have had any idea he disappeared the day after. Or maybe she did.

This is going to be the new Maura Murray.
Whoa. This, if true, changes everything. I've read all of his threads on WS, and I don't remember seeing anything like this.

It almost seems a little too perfect, though. Steven is a 30-year-old LDS member, who hasn't had much luck with women. He is shy and soft-spoken. He is single, but it seems like he really wants to be in a relationship. And here is a nubile young Hungarian girl, so impressed with Steven's patient teaching skills, smiling at him, but too shy to speak up, noticing his sadness. As a resolution of sorts, she decides to place an online ad, hoping fate will intervene and Steven will read the Craigslist personals.

Something about this doesn't seem right, but I can't imagine a false scenario in which someone would place that ad. If the ad is real, it's incredibly unfair that Steven would go missing soon after crossing paths with a potential wife (or at least a gf).

I wonder if the Hungarian girls ever learned SK was missing?

This ad reminds me of the CL ads placed about the McStays--they muddied the waters even more.
Padfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #30
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa
I definitely think Steven was on some sort of job-related mission when he disappeared.

In my opinion, the key to knowing what happened to Steven is in that neighborhood. The fact that he is seen walking purposefully, folder in hand, almost exactly at noon points to some sort of meeting or appointment...and the fact that he parked far away from said appointment indicates it most likely was shady. Steven was in great need of money, and may have also been slightly naive, as well as in a city known for "swallowing up" young and needy individuals. It was also in the absolute worst of the recession, when people were doing crazy things to make a buck and many were extremely desperate (maybe desperate enough to try and rob or kidnap a nice-looking young man? I don't know...)

Yeah, there definitely seems to be a purpose for being there: the folder, the timing, continuous strides as if he had a destination in mind. Knowing why he was there is the million dollar question. The problem is, there's no trail leading him there. No calls to Henderson, nothing on his computer, no handwritten notes or directions. Nothing to give any indication why he was there.

With that said I think either:

1) He went there to drum up leads for the window business and met a shady character.

2) He went there to find a job and may have used a library computer to communicate, thus no evidence on his personal computer.

3) He went there to scope out a job that was offered to him by an acquaintance in Utah and something went horribly wrong. That would also explain the lack of communication they found.

Perhaps whatever directions or correspondence about the meeting was printed out and in the folder he carried as he left his car.