Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

Default Jared Negrete

Jared was 12 years old and a Scout. He and his Troop were going on a hiking trip. After awhile he got separated and other Scouts realized he was gone. The only trace of him found were candy bar wrappers, his Backpack, and his Camera. The film was developed and revealed mostly landscapes and the last known photograph of him. It was of his nose and Eyes and he appeared scared. The photo was featured in Time magazine but seems absent from the Web.

I am curious what others think happened to him. Also does anyone know of a link to find that last photograph? My curiosity is piqued.
Orange_Sody_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #2
wiseguy182

oh yes. I remember talking about him because his middle name is Michael, and reminded me of the much talked about Michael Negerte case. Here is his CP page

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ete_jared.html.

I'll have to do some research on this one.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

Thnx for the reply. I'll look that up too.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
elg0rd0
Just wanna play video games.
Frequent Poster

I read somewhere, awhile ago, that remains had been found that were believed to be Jared's. I'll do some digging for that article.

This case was featured literally every 30 minutes on evening news in Southern California. But there were a lot of rumors floating around about the case. I remember hearing once, that eyewitnesses had seen him at a McDonald's in a nearby town with an elderly woman. This was a strange case. I tend to lean towards the theory that Jared, who was in the back of the group during the hiking trip, literally couldn't keep up and simply got lost. He then panicked and tried to catch up with the rest of the group and possibly ran into a bear or literally wasn't paying attention in his panicked state and accidentally fell down a cliff and died.

This is the first time I've heard of the picture of himself looking scared. I don't remember hearing any thing about that. I'll see if I can find that too.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

Interesting... Yeah I also agree he got lost and got injured etc. Doesn't seem overly mysterious with this one. I feel like alot of missing people's remains just haven't been found yet. Not necessarily trapped somewhere or abducted by Aliens.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
wiseguy182

So the scoutmaster forced all those little kids to hike up an 11,500 foot high mountain and back down again? WTF to that and him leaving Jared alone by himself. If I were the parents, I'd sue the scoutmaster for wrongful death. He's clearly an idiot not to mention responsible for the death of a child.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

From what I've read the terrain seemed potentially hazardous. the Woods were dense.

Slightly off topic: My Mother's teenage brother went in to get his Appendix removed and ended up bleeding out on the table due to him not being close up properly. I asked my Mom why didn't her family sue? She shrugged and said we didn't think to back then. (The 60's)

Last edited by Orange_Sody_84; 07-18-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by elg0rd0
I remember hearing once, that eyewitnesses had seen him at a McDonald's in a nearby town with an elderly woman. This was a strange case.
I've heard a lot of preposterous eyewitness sightings of missing persons over the years, but that one wins the prize. I'm really sure he got off the high mountain and was kidnapped or met up with an old woman for unknown reasons and went to McDonald's.

I just hope his death was quick and not long and painful.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #9
elg0rd0
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I've heard a lot of preposterous eyewitness sightings of missing persons over the years, but that one wins the prize. I'm really sure he got off the high mountain and was kidnapped or met up with an old woman for unknown reasons and went to McDonald's.

I just hope his death was quick and not long and painful.
Actually it was taken very seriously for various reasons.

1) being that that outside surveillance cameras in the parking lot and cameras inside McDonald's restaurant all had pictures of a young male fitting Jared's description.

2) more than 8 eye witnesses were certain the young boy looked like Jared.

3) the clothing worn by the boy in the pictures matched the clothing Jared was wearing when he disappeared.

4) the McDonald's where the alleged sighting took place was literally 2 streets away from the camping area Jared's group was camping out at.

5) the camping area/grounds were already on a high mountain so there was no need for Jared to get off a high mountain because he already was on one.

6) the hiking trail taken was used frequently by regular hikers to the public during the summer, so it would not be a stretch for Jared to get lost and for him to run into someone and be coaxed off the trail by a stranger.

7) the media literally quit talking about this angle after the search yielded the candy wrappers and camera Jared had on him.

It should be noted that because he disappeared on a national park, park rangers have jurisdiction over the search of a person who has disappeared. Sadly most of these searches only last maybe a week or 2.
elg0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
wiseguy182

Quote:
Actually it was taken very seriously for various reasons.

1) being that that outside surveillance cameras in the parking lot and cameras inside McDonald's restaurant all had pictures of a young male fitting Jared's description.

2) more than 8 eye witnesses were certain the young boy looked like Jared.

3) the clothing worn by the boy in the pictures matched the clothing Jared was wearing when he disappeared.

4) the McDonald's where the alleged sighting took place was literally 2 streets away from the camping area Jared's group was camping out at.

5) the camping area/grounds were already on a high mountain so there was no need for Jared to get off a high mountain because he already was on one.

6) the hiking trail taken was used frequently by regular hikers to the public during the summer, so it would not be a stretch for Jared to get lost and for him to run into someone and be coaxed off the trail by a stranger.

7) the media literally quit talking about this angle after the search yielded the candy wrappers and camera Jared had on him.

It should be noted that because he disappeared on a national park, park rangers have jurisdiction over the search of a person who has disappeared. Sadly most of these searches only last maybe a week or 2.
wow, that's really something. Yeah, if you could dig up any articles with extra info, that would be great. I found some online, but they didn't appear to have anything that wasn't on the relatively brief CP blurb. I also can't find the picture, there's been some debate on what his face depicts.

I wonder why they started discounting the old woman angle because they found candy wrappers and such on the mountain. I'd be curious to see some of the old news stories on this.

One thing that's weird: Jared made it most of the way, but couldn't quite complete it. It seems that not too much time would have elapsed before they returned for him. Additionally, mountains are very echo-y are they not? Would they have heard him if he yelled for help?

And why couldn't they just leave somebody there with him? Ugh, what a frustrating case.

Holy cow, check out this article about another boy lost up that same damn mountain.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/aug/10/news/mn-32709

Last edited by wiseguy182; 05-10-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
elg0rd0
Frequent Poster

Quote:
wow, that's really something. Yeah, if you could dig up any articles with extra info, that would be great. I found some online, but they didn't appear to have anything that wasn't on the relatively brief CP blurb. I also can't find the picture, there's been some debate on what his face depicts.

I wonder why they started discounting the old woman angle because they found candy wrappers and such on the mountain. I'd be curious to see some of the old news stories on this.

One thing that's weird: Jared made it most of the way, but couldn't quite complete it. It seems that not too much time would have elapsed before they returned for him. Additionally, mountains are very echo-y are they not? Would they have heard him if he yelled for help?

And why couldn't they just leave somebody there with him? Ugh, what a frustrating case.

Holy cow, check out this article about another boy lost up that same damn mountain.
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/aug/10/news/mn-32709
I've tried for years to find concise and detailed articles on this case, being from Southern California it always stuck out in the back of my head. I'm not sure the photo has ever been made public to my knowledge. Investigators probably have the original in their possession.

I don't remember seeing any news articles in the newspaper on the old woman angle. It was talked about extensively on evening television news though and after finding the items Jared had on him it was believed that he simply wandered off and got lost. This theory is something I believe as the items found were well off the general area of the hiking trail.

If he would have yelled out for help, I'm fairly certain someone might have heard him. Especially during the search for him in the mountains.

This is exactly why now when Cub Scouts go on hikes they now have a scout leader in the front and one in the back of the pack. What's more frustrating is that the counselor decided to wait to go back and get Jared after making the hike to the summit. That right there was unknowingly a life and death situation of Jared. If the counselor had decided to backtrack on the hiking trail the possibility of find him would have been much greater for him to be found. It was reported that only a few minutes had passed before they realized Jared had fallen back. All the counselor had to do was halt the hike and backtrack possibly less than a 100 yards.

Yeah I remember that. That didn't have that much extensive coverage though. California was embroiled in the Gary Condit scandal at the time as he was a California Senator.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #12
wiseguy182

Quote:
I don't remember seeing any news articles in the newspaper on the old woman angle. It was talked about extensively on evening television news though and after finding the items Jared had on him it was believed that he simply wandered off and got lost. This theory is something I believe as the items found were well off the general area of the hiking trail.
That's probably the easiest explanation, although it's still possible he got off the mountain and encountered the old lady.

Quote:
Yeah I remember that. That didn't have that much extensive coverage though. California was embroiled in the Gary Condit scandal at the time as he was a California Senator.
He was a U.S. congressman representing the Modesto area of California. He was never a senator.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:59 AM   #13
elg0rd0
Frequent Poster

Quote:
That's probably the easiest explanation, although it's still possible he got off the mountain and encountered the old lady.

He was a U.S. congressman representing the Modesto area of California. He was never a senator.
If he knew where he was going. Yes it would have been very easy for him to get off the trail and encounter someone. I read an article where the County Sheriff had strongly considered abduction as a possibility. Wouldn't shock me as those hiking trails are a hot bed for activity during the summer months. That theory I think was abandoned when his items were found on an area with jagged rocks and steep drops. It didn't help matters much that the place had recently gotten some rain and the rocks were still slippery. It was said that he was wearing high top Pro-Wing sneakers and I can tell you those are the worse shoes to be wearing while hiking. I had a pair of the same kind of shoes Jared had and they have no traction on the grip tape on a skateboard.

My apologies for that. He may never have never been a senator but he was crooked like a senator. Just saiyan.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #14
wiseguy182

it sounds like a particularly dangerous mountain with bears, wild dogs, steep cliffs and such, which makes me wonder all the more why the hell the "scoutmaster" left him alone.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
elg0rd0
Frequent Poster

The scoutmaster resigned from the boy scouts immediately upon his return back from the trip as he was going to get fired anyways.