Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #16
atomicfizz
Forum Regular

I just listened to a podcast about Lost Boy Larry and I think they gave a pretty good argument for hoax. He seemed to ignore questions that could help identify where he was, he couldn't give any basic information at all? They also pointed out that if the truck was upside down the CB radio antennae would not have worked to send out the signal. They had a few other good arguments too, as mentioned here, no reports of a father and or son missing, nothing found after all these years, etc... I really think it was a hoax. A "good" hoax if you can call it that, in that it's still not proven after all these years, but still probably a hoax.
atomicfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
neognosis
Forum Regular

what was his last name? dad's name? mother? address?
neognosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VjNjyfmrTIU My latest true crime article contains six stories of strange disappearances, deaths and murders. All feature twists that remove them from the realm of common crimes.
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfizz
I just listened to a podcast about Lost Boy Larry and I think they gave a pretty good argument for hoax. He seemed to ignore questions that could help identify where he was, he couldn't give any basic information at all? They also pointed out that if the truck was upside down the CB radio antennae would not have worked to send out the signal. They had a few other good arguments too, as mentioned here, no reports of a father and or son missing, nothing found after all these years, etc... I really think it was a hoax. A "good" hoax if you can call it that, in that it's still not proven after all these years, but still probably a hoax.
I was interested in that podcast so I looked it up. I'll have to listen to the whole thing when I have the time (it's over 40 minutes and I don't have the time right now), but I did listen to a few snippets. They mention a police officer being on the phone with Larry for 3 hours. I don't know, that seems like pretty great lengths for someone to go for a hoax. I think a reasonable argument could be made for hoax, but I think I could go in either direction at this point.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #20
wiseguy182

Okay, so I listened to most of the podcast.

I found the hosts to be rather annoying, even moreso than the usual 'laugh really hard and long at everything' disc jockeys that fill the airwaves today. They sounded like they were trying really hard to come across as funny and highly intelligent when they were really neither. The part where they call Larry "useless" was highly tacky.

The hosts theorized that it might be someone speaking in code, which I didn't find to be a plausible theory in the least. Distressingly, some of the people that responded to Larry were downright vicious and issued him taunts, such as "You're gonna die, Larry.", which would be horrifying if this was not a hoax. This incident also "inspired" a lot of copycats.

Just about everyone that actually spoke with Larry believed he was genuine, which included a Chief of Police.

There was some talk about the skip tracing or whatever and one of them said sometimes you could pick up things from half way around the world, reinforcing my earlier statement that he could literally be anywhere. I'm thinking Australia might be a likely location considering the make-up of that continent and it's an English speaking country.

One of the doofuses rationale for not believing in Larry was because he was certain the truck antenna would have broke. I say "not necessarily." Those things are remarkably durable. I believe on most newer vehicles there's a way to retract them before you go into the car wash, but I have a somewhat older car that doesn't have that feature and that thing survived many years of car washes. They are extremely flexible and tough to break.

There was some talk about 3 people that apparently did spot an overturned truck in the general Albuquerque area during the time period. Furthermore, there was some discussion about how the truck could have been buried and such after the first winter and how easy it would have been for it to remain uncovered to this day. The female host talks about having come across a lot of abandoned vehicles in her day and how little attention people pay to them.

Also some talk about how his last name may have been "Peak", and how he might have also answered to the name "David."

So those were my main take-aways from the podcast. As a further personal observation, I think it would be highly difficult for a little child to pull off a hoax and not have it uncovered by someone. Kids are usually not good at lying, and the odds of maintaining that lie over time are even lesser still. At the very least, if it were a hoax, I think his family and possibly some of his friends would have eventually learned the truth. Perhaps they decided to not go public with it for whatever reason, but there would be people out there who would be "in the know".

I also wanted to state that I receive prank calls from kids sometimes at work. Some of them are pretty humorous. The typical call is very short and you can hear the kid(s) laughing during at least one point in the call. With that being said, I find it highly unlikely that a young child could keep up this charade for so long and not laugh. I just don't see it happening.

If anyone is interested, the podcast can be found on a site called "thinkingsidewayspodcast.com" and there are other topics covered in different episodes, such as the Beaumont Children and the Smiley Face Murders.

As a final note, in an extremely odd coincidence, while I was driving to work tonight, one of the songs that came on the radio was Alabama's "Roll On 18-wheeler", a song about a jackknived truck.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.Vjym4vmrTIU My latest true crime article features 3 stories of stalkings that take some wild turns. Some have been solved and others remain cold cases....
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #22
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VkYoFPmrTIW My latest true crime article features one of the saddest Jane Doe stories you'll ever hear about, a strange case where a pilot and plane go missing - only to be found in an inexplicable place, a sleep over gone wrong and a criminal who left parts of his victim laying around town for years after she goes missing...
Old 11-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.Vk8tYPmrTIU

My latest true crime article features the strange case of a Jane Doe who is found in a motel pool, a murder that took twenty years to complete, a little girl who walked away from a summer camp only to never be seen again, and a kidnapping tale from the 1800's that made national headlines.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #24
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VlgmOfmrTIU

My latest true crime article features a case of a woman disappearing after her home is struck by an arsonist. A crime the Ku Klux Klan tried to help solve, a rest stop murder that will turn your blood ice cold, and a college student who picked up the wrong hitchhiker.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #25
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VmDVwfmrTIV

My latest true crime article looks at a kidnap victim held in an underground coffin, A frightening photo that shows a victim with his murderer and a long dead corpse ends up as part of a car accident...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #26
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold_OldSchool
http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VmDVwfmrTIV

My latest true crime article looks at a kidnap victim held in an underground coffin, A frightening photo that shows a victim with his murderer and a long dead corpse ends up as part of a car accident...
Matt Chase didn't walk to the bank, Teresa Dahl suggested he take her car, which Matt accepted. It was this car that was found some time later.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #27
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Matt Chase didn't walk to the bank, Teresa Dahl suggested he take her car, which Matt accepted. It was this car that was found some time later.
Augh, good catch. Thanks for reading. This has been a rather popular series and I try and avoid blunders like that.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VmrfU_krLIU

My latest true crime article includes stories about a serial killing trucker, a boy found in the street castrated, a vagrant whose death led to an FBI probe and a man who left behind a strange series of clues after he vanished into the wilderness.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #29
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VnQMFBUrLIU

My latest true crime article covers a brutal serial killer who documented his torture sessions in print and photography, a sealed door provides an odd clue in a murder, a real life blood sucker feasts on a prostitute and a mundane car accident is complicated by one strange feature on one of the victims.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #30
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold_OldSchool
http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/unso.../#.VnQMFBUrLIU

My latest true crime article covers a brutal serial killer who documented his torture sessions in print and photography, a sealed door provides an odd clue in a murder, a real life blood sucker feasts on a prostitute and a mundane car accident is complicated by one strange feature on one of the victims.
OMG! that first photograph is just plain horrible!
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote