Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Russ pretty much went straight from work to his friendsí house for the movie night.
The Dateline episode said Russ ran a few quick, non-descript errands right after work, then headed to the game night, although that only makes the timeline for him to kill his wife all that much narrower.

Thanks for the article in the other post. Pam Hupp always looked off to me, and it's something to learn her husband is also an ass. I really can't fathom why Betsy would make her the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. Pam claims it was because she wanted to make sure the money got to her daughters, but couldn't Betsy have just as easily left the money directly to her daughters, or Russ, or any of her sisters or mother for that matter? There were too many people that would have needed the money (funeral expenses and what not), and I really can't comprehend why she would leave 100k to a friend that was smothering her. The article is somewhat confusing, but it looks like Pam wants all the money for herself now? My opinion is she is a liar, a cheat and a murderer, among other things.

This seems to be one of the most talked about Datelines ever. Oddly enough, in the Dateline dvd set I'm making, it's on the same disc as another much discussed case: Barry Beach.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
The Dateline episode said Russ ran a few quick, non-descript errands right after work, then headed to the game night, although that only makes the timeline for him to kill his wife all that much narrower.

Thanks for the article in the other post. Pam Hupp always looked off to me, and it's something to learn her husband is also an ass. I really can't fathom why Betsy would make her the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. Pam claims it was because she wanted to make sure the money got to her daughters, but couldn't Betsy have just as easily left the money directly to her daughters, or Russ, or any of her sisters or mother for that matter? There were too many people that would have needed the money (funeral expenses and what not), and I really can't comprehend why she would leave 100k to a friend that was smothering her. The article is somewhat confusing, but it looks like Pam wants all the money for herself now? My opinion is she is a liar, a cheat and a murderer, among other things.

This seems to be one of the most talked about Datelines ever. Oddly enough, in the Dateline dvd set I'm making, it's on the same disc as another much discussed case: Barry Beach.
I wonder how narrow that window of opportunity was,because like Atif Rafay Russell Faria's alibi seems contrived to me.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #18
wiseguy182

Okay, I rewatched the Dateline episode.

-Another thing that points to Pam Hupp was her bogus claim that she had tried to call Betsy once she got home from leaving Betsy's house to let her know she was ok. The problem with that was she lived a half hour away and her cell phone kept pinging in and/or around Betsy's house at the time she stated she tried to call Betsy from her own house.

-Another thing that was odd: When Pam got Betsy to change the beneficiary on her life insurance policy a few days before her murder, the change was not witnessed by a notary public or an employee of the insurance company, but rather by a young librarian who I am not sure is even "qualified" to do such a thing.

-It should also be noted that Pam Hupp is the verified last person to see Betsy alive, she has changed her story on numerous things (numerous times)

-The lead detective on this case coached Pam before her testimony in the trial and prepped her on possible questions that could be asked of her so that she could come up with her responses, when he should have been viewing her as a suspect.

-Russ Faria wore the same clothes all day and not a speck of blood was ever found on any of said clothes despite Betsy being stabbed 56 times. In regards to Russ's slippers in the closet having blood on them, I would ask: "Who the heck wears the slippers during the day, on the job and out to visit friends?"

-I apologize, but Betsy's mom is a total airhead, plain and simple. She said if new evidence was brought forward that implicated someone else, she would still believe in Russ's guilt. Additionally, her reasons for believing that Russ is guilty are mind-boggingly idiotic. She stated that the testimony of the 4 "game-night" friends was suspicious because they all said the same thing. HELLO?!?!?! They're all supposed to say the same thing!! What a dingbat.

-The detectives on this case thought that it was "suspicious" that Russ ran several errands after getting off work and before heading to game night (trips to a gas station, several convenience stores) when allegedly all could have been done at the same store. Their hypotheses was that Russ was trying to get himself seen in front of several cameras. Actually, and as I noted above, this makes Russ seem less guilty because it decreases the already narrow window of opportunity he would have had even more.

I see the overwhelming consensus here is that Pam is guilty, not Russ.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #19
Steve_uk

Quote:
Okay, I rewatched the Dateline episode.

-Another thing that points to Pam Hupp was her bogus claim that she had tried to call Betsy once she got home from leaving Betsy's house to let her know she was ok. The problem with that was she lived a half hour away and her cell phone kept pinging in and/or around Betsy's house at the time she stated she tried to call Betsy from her own house.

-Another thing that was odd: When Pam got Betsy to change the beneficiary on her life insurance policy a few days before her murder, the change was not witnessed by a notary public or an employee of the insurance company, but rather by a young librarian who I am not sure is even "qualified" to do such a thing.

-It should also be noted that Pam Hupp is the verified last person to see Betsy alive, she has changed her story on numerous things (numerous times)

-The lead detective on this case coached Pam before her testimony in the trial and prepped her on possible questions that could be asked of her so that she could come up with her responses, when he should have been viewing her as a suspect.

-Russ Faria wore the same clothes all day and not a speck of blood was ever found on any of said clothes despite Betsy being stabbed 56 times. In regards to Russ's slippers in the closet having blood on them, I would ask: "Who the heck wears the slippers during the day, on the job and out to visit friends?"

-I apologize, but Betsy's mom is a total airhead, plain and simple. She said if new evidence was brought forward that implicated someone else, she would still believe in Russ's guilt. Additionally, her reasons for believing that Russ is guilty are mind-boggingly idiotic. She stated that the testimony of the 4 "game-night" friends was suspicious because they all said the same thing. HELLO?!?!?! They're all supposed to say the same thing!! What a dingbat.

-The detectives on this case thought that it was "suspicious" that Russ ran several errands after getting off work and before heading to game night (trips to a gas station, several convenience stores) when allegedly all could have been done at the same store. Their hypotheses was that Russ was trying to get himself seen in front of several cameras. Actually, and as I noted above, this makes Russ seem less guilty because it decreases the already narrow window of opportunity he would have had even more.

I see the overwhelming consensus here is that Pam is guilty, not Russ.
The point was that both Betsy and Pamela had been colleagues in the insurance industry so Betsy must have known what she was doing in signing any document. Maybe they were just trying to save money in not going to a solicitor. If Russ arrives at the gaming house at 5:45pm and stays observed until 9:00pm my bet is that he killed her before he left home earlier that evening. Odd that Betsy was killed on the night Russ could be vouched for among witnesses and odd that after a hard day's work and a stay at someone's house you would not be tired and want to return home straightaway.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
The point was that both Betsy and Pamela had been colleagues in the insurance industry so Betsy must have known what she was doing in signing any document. Maybe they were just trying to save money in not going to a solicitor. If Russ arrives at the gaming house at 5:45pm and stays observed until 9:00pm my bet is that he killed her before he left home earlier that evening. Odd that Betsy was killed on the night Russ could be vouched for among witnesses and odd that after a hard day's work and a stay at someone's house you would not be tired and want to return home straightaway.
Not that odd considering one of the friends stated Russ dozed off that night.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #21
Steve_uk

Quote:
Not that odd considering one of the friends stated Russ dozed off that night.
If you don't feel in the mood to play games then mightn't you cancel? I think we need to re-examine the timeline.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #22
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

With regards to Faria's alibi evidence, I always felt as though the prosecution were trying to have it both ways. Either Faria's friends lied for him, saying he was with them when he wasn't, enabling Russ Faria to commit the crime, or Russ Faria carried out a bunch of BS errands in the hopes of obtaining a surveillance tape/documented alibi. In which case he wouldn't have been physically present to commit the crime.
What makes this all the more egregious IMO, is that regardless of what the prosecution believes about Russ Faria's alibi, he is afforded the same presumption of innocence that every defendant in our legal system has. Russ Faria doesn't have to prove his alibi is truthful. The prosecution has to prove that it isn't.
BlueGalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #23
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGalexy
With regards to Faria's alibi evidence, I always felt as though the prosecution were trying to have it both ways. Either Faria's friends lied for him, saying he was with them when he wasn't, enabling Russ Faria to commit the crime, or Russ Faria carried out a bunch of BS errands in the hopes of obtaining a surveillance tape/documented alibi. In which case he wouldn't have been physically present to commit the crime.
What makes this all the more egregious IMO, is that regardless of what the prosecution believes about Russ Faria's alibi, he is afforded the same presumption of innocence that every defendant in our legal system has. Russ Faria doesn't have to prove his alibi is truthful. The prosecution has to prove that it isn't.
This is my scenario:Faria undresses for sex with his wife and she is caught unawares and offers no resistance(they are renowned for their active sex life and his semen was found in the corpse). Had Pamela been the perpetrator Betsy could have fought for her life and there would have been blood in different areas and possibly marks on Pamela. Faria then puts on his slippers and goes to the kitchen and proceeds to the drawer only he knew contained a towel therein and begins to clean up. He then dresses and sets out to create his alibi and by the time she is discovered the body is cold.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #24
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
This is my scenario:Faria undresses for sex with his wife and she is caught unawares and offers no resistance(they are renowned for their active sex life and his semen was found in the corpse). Had Pamela been the perpetrator Betsy could have fought for her life and there would have been blood in different areas and possibly marks on Pamela. Faria then puts on his slippers and goes to the kitchen and proceeds to the drawer only he knew contained a towel therein and begins to clean up. He then dresses and sets out to create his alibi and by the time she is discovered the body is cold.
Hey, at least you have a scenario. From what I've read regarding this case, the prosecution didn't even have that. The best they could do IMO was a variety of guesses that were used as band-aids for their weak case.

The clothing he was wearing on surveillance tape and when the paramedics arrived didn't have any blood on it? Oh...well he must have undressed, murdered his wife while naked, showered, and dressed again! He has four witnesses vouching for how he spent his evening? Oh...well they're his friends, so naturally they are lying for him. He was captured on surveillance video at a couple of different places? Oh...well he was obviously trying to be seen in order to stage an alibi. His cell phone records corroborate his movements? Oh...well obviously his lying friends were driving around with it. He has a time stamped receipt from his dinner at Arby's? Oh...well his lying friends obviously helped him out there too.

IMO, the prosecutor's reactive way of putting on her case started to resemble a bad game of "Whack-a-Mole". But what the hell. When you're allegedly good buds with the judge and sleeping with one of the lead detectives on the case, I guess you don't have to do any better.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #25
wiseguy182

Quote:
If you don't feel in the mood to play games then mightn't you cancel? I think we need to re-examine the timeline.
1) how do you know he wasn't in the mood to play games?

2) they actually watched videos that night instead. One of the friends had brought them with him.

3) He unintentionally dozed off in the middle of the evening, as a lot of people do. He might not have even been aware he was tired.

Quote:
Had Pamela been the perpetrator Betsy could have fought for her life and there would have been blood in different areas and possibly marks on Pamela
There was blood in different areas. Russ encountered a bunch as soon as he walked in the door, but there was also blood on a light switch in their bedroom.

Quote:
Faria then puts on his slippers and goes to the kitchen and proceeds to the drawer only he knew contained a towel therein and begins to clean up
Where was the towel then? I supposed he could have taken it with him, but if that was the case, why did he leave the slippers behind?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
Steve_uk

Quote:
1) how do you know he wasn't in the mood to play games?

2) they actually watched videos that night instead. One of the friends had brought them with him.

3) He unintentionally dozed off in the middle of the evening, as a lot of people do. He might not have even been aware he was tired.

There was blood in different areas. Russ encountered a bunch as soon as he walked in the door, but there was also blood on a light switch in their bedroom.

Where was the towel then? I supposed he could have taken it with him, but if that was the case, why did he leave the slippers behind?
Well if I'm with company,which admittedly is getting rarer these days, I am on my best behaviour as it's quite an artificial situation being a guest in someone else's home,and I certainly wouldn't doze off,but make my excuses and leave. I don't know about the blood on the light switch but if Pamela or anyone else had been the culprit wouldn't they have cleaned that area? The slippers were too dangerous to discard elsewhere so he just had to throw them in the trastero and hope nobody noticed them.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #27
wiseguy182

Quote:
Well if I'm with company,which admittedly is getting rarer these days, I am on my best behaviour as it's quite an artificial situation being a guest in someone else's home,and I certainly wouldn't doze off,but make my excuses and leave.
He dozed off accidentally, are you sure you could prevent yourself from accidentally dozing off? I don't think his friends thought it was rude, they probably just figured he was tired from work (I know I certainly am when I get home from work). The night was also a departure from the routine: they usually played games, in which case Russ might have stayed awake as usual, but somebody brought movies that night, so they watched those instead. Perhaps one of the movies was real boring for Russ and he fell asleep?

Quote:
I don't know about the blood on the light switch but if Pamela or anyone else had been the culprit wouldn't they have cleaned that area?
Well somebody had to be the culprit. Whoever killed her didn't clean it up.

Quote:
The slippers were too dangerous to discard elsewhere so he just had to throw them in the trastero and hope nobody noticed them
But why would he go to the trouble to discard this bloody towel you hypothesize, but leave the slippers in the house? It just adds another thing for him to do in the already ultra-narrow timeline.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #28
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

Hey guys...sorry to bring a thread back up that I started so long ago, but I never really got around to posting an update on this case until now.
Apparently there's been a lot of movement on this case in the past couple of years, and interestingly enough, it seems that it still isn't over. To start with, it appears that Russ Faria was granted a retrial on appeal and fortunately decided to go with a bench trial the second time around. Who can blame the poor guy? At any rate, Faria's gamble seemed to pay off, as the judge acquitted him during the retrial.
There's been a lot of updates with regards to the fascinating Mrs. Hupp as well, lol! It appears that she is currently facing murder charges of her own...though not for the murder of Betsy Faria if you can believe it. At least not yet anyways... No, Hupp's murder charges are for the homicide of a Mr. Louis Gumpenburger. According to the prosecutors in the Gumpenburger case, Hupp allegedly murdered the man in an attempt to frame Russ Faria yet again. I swear, this case is looking more and more like a soap opera all the time! Not only is Hupp now on the hook so to speak in the Gumpenburger case, but apparently LE now has some questions for her regarding the questionable death of her own mother, a Mrs. Shirley Neumann, IIRC. Those of us who followed the Dateline coverage of this ongoing case will remember that Hupp had some interesting things to say about her mother while acting as a cooperating witness in the original Faria case.
Anyway, for those interested, check it out again. This is easily one of the just plain weirdest cases I've ever followed. It's just a hell of a story!

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...1a25b7287.html
Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
Steve_uk

I was completely taken in by Pamela Hupp, who is looking more and more like a serial killer. Russ Faria is innocent.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #30
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I was completely taken in by Pamela Hupp, who is looking more and more like a serial killer. Russ Faria is innocent.
Hell Steve, give yourself a little credit. In your defense, who the hell would believe a story like this one?? All I knew when I started this thread was that I was pulling for Russ Faria, and Hupp seemed off somehow. I had no idea the case would snowball into this, lol.
It's nice talking to you again BTW. I hope all is well for you and yours!