Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Default Anyone Know or Met Any Murderers?

I know there was a similar thread in the UM forum about possible brushes with killers, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had actual contact with or known on a personal level someone who was either a suspected or convicted murderer?

I personally have two, and both were the results of where I work. I work in an HVAC wholesaler in sales. We get a lot of customer traffic on a daily basis (the majority are licensed contractors who either work for themselves or for a large company, sometimes we get the occasional homeowner trying to fix their own units), and there are two customers (one of whom was actually convicted) who are suspected to have been involved in their wives disappearances. The first guy, DJ, is someone who I have had little contact with over the years. Maybe 4-5 times. He's very quiet, and he would have just been another random face we see on a daily basis had it not been for someone who told me about his wife who disappeared a couple of years ago. Here's the link to her Charley Project page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._michelle.html

I honestly don't know the guy from Adam outside of the usual customer exchange of words, but if the Charley Project page is accurate, the circumstances of her disappearance definitely do not paint him in the most favorable light. Like I said he's quiet, and other than that I really don't know much about the guy.

The other guy was someone who was more of a frequent customer. He was EXTREMELY friendly, always joking around, always laughing, etc. All in all the guy was a customer I considered one to look forward waiting on. Occasionally, he would show up reeking of booze (but in the HVAC industry, this is not that uncommon), but I had never seen the guy angry or upset in my life. Like I said, he was always jovial and someone who was very easy to get along with. Then one day when I'm at the gym, I see on the news his mug shot flash across the screen. The gym I go to has 7-8 televisions all spread apart and they are all on different channels. And because I listen to my iPod when I workout, I didn't hear what was said on the news. So when I get to work, I google his name, and stumble upon HIS wife's Charley Project page: (the link to the actual page is no longer there since her case has been solved, but it's here in the resolved section under "Christine Ann Jarrett") http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved/resolved82.html

My jaw almost hit the floor. I know it sounds cliché, and you've probably heard it a thousand times, but I would have never in a million years suspected that this guy had ANY sort of baggage, let alone this magnitude. Here's another link to an article written after he was convicted for his wife's murder: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...rett-bernhardt

The worst part of all is his youngest son is in the industry and he's a good customer of ours, too. I feel the worst for him and his brother, especially now knowing that his father killed his mother...it's just an all around sad, sad, story. One that I never dreamed I would have known some of the principles.

On a side note, the man who represented him at his trial was also my lawyer back when I got a DUI when I was 21. Weird.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I know there was a similar thread in the UM forum about possible brushes with killers, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had actual contact with or known on a personal level someone who was either a suspected or convicted murderer?

I personally have two, and both were the results of where I work. I work in an HVAC wholesaler in sales. We get a lot of customer traffic on a daily basis (the majority are licensed contractors who either work for themselves or for a large company, sometimes we get the occasional homeowner trying to fix their own units), and there are two customers (one of whom was actually convicted) who are suspected to have been involved in their wives disappearances. The first guy, DJ, is someone who I have had little contact with over the years. Maybe 4-5 times. He's very quiet, and he would have just been another random face we see on a daily basis had it not been for someone who told me about his wife who disappeared a couple of years ago. Here's the link to her Charley Project page: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._michelle.html

I honestly don't know the guy from Adam outside of the usual customer exchange of words, but if the Charley Project page is accurate, the circumstances of her disappearance definitely do not paint him in the most favorable light. Like I said he's quiet, and other than that I really don't know much about the guy.

The other guy was someone who was more of a frequent customer. He was EXTREMELY friendly, always joking around, always laughing, etc. All in all the guy was a customer I considered one to look forward waiting on. Occasionally, he would show up reeking of booze (but in the HVAC industry, this is not that uncommon), but I had never seen the guy angry or upset in my life. Like I said, he was always jovial and someone who was very easy to get along with. Then one day when I'm at the gym, I see on the news his mug shot flash across the screen. The gym I go to has 7-8 televisions all spread apart and they are all on different channels. And because I listen to my iPod when I workout, I didn't hear what was said on the news. So when I get to work, I google his name, and stumble upon HIS wife's Charley Project page: (the link to the actual page is no longer there since her case has been solved, but it's here in the resolved section under "Christine Ann Jarrett") http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved/resolved82.html

My jaw almost hit the floor. I know it sounds cliché, and you've probably heard it a thousand times, but I would have never in a million years suspected that this guy had ANY sort of baggage, let alone this magnitude. Here's another link to an article written after he was convicted for his wife's murder: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...rett-bernhardt

The worst part of all is his youngest son is in the industry and he's a good customer of ours, too. I feel the worst for him and his brother, especially now knowing that his father killed his mother...it's just an all around sad, sad, story. One that I never dreamed I would have known some of the principles.

On a side note, the man who represented him at his trial was also my lawyer back when I got a DUI when I was 21. Weird.
Whoa!

If ever I should have to hire someone to do HVAC work, you can bet this post is probably the first thing I'll think of.

As for the question, I think the closest I ever came to that is growing up with the brother of a man whose wife who had an affair with one of her high school students. The man shot and killed the teenaged lover.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/news/lo...love-triangle/

I've known a handful of victims and one missing person (sadly), but never a known murderer.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
If ever I should have to hire someone to do HVAC work, you can bet this post is probably the first thing I'll think of.
For the most part, they're just a bunch of close minded right wingers who blame Obama for everything...which is more annoying than dealing with a suspected murderer!
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

My schizophrenic cousin murdered his mother in 2002.

I don't remember meeting him (he was about 15 years older than me and lived in a different state) but I knew his mom. She helped take care of my grandmother while she was dying from cancer in 1994.

His behavior was the talk of the family. He was strange, tortured animals as a child, etc. Everyone always said he was going to kill somebody but it didn't really seem that authorities could help until after he'd actually committed a serious crime. AFAIK, he's in prison now.

--

This one's not a murder, but a likely justified killing. One of my friends in high school dated a guy that I had dated back when I was 14. (She also dated my husband's brother for a short time.)

She and the boyfriend moved in together right out of high school and apparently he was abusive. I only dated him for about 2 months. He was 16 and I think he was already doing coke at that age. His older brother was a small time dealer, but I thought he just dealt pot. I dunno. The whole family was weird. I broke up with him.

Anyway, while they were in their apartment fighting again, she stabbed him with a steak knife, which nicked his heart. There was little to no external bleeding and she didn't realize the wound was fatal until it was too late. Cops arrived and decided it was self defense so it never went any further legally.
-
-

Please sign the petition to get Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix/Hulu http://www.thepetitionsite.com/733/9...flix-and-hulu/
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
88keys
Forum Regular

My husband went to school with Troy Wolverton. He lived in our town when they were both kids, and he moved to Ohio in the 10th grade or something like that. Anyway, he ended up stabbing his ex-girlfriend over 40 times, in front of her 8 year old son. Then he went on a high-speed chase with the cops and ended up cutting his own throat.

Here is an article about the crime.

The scary thing is, he tried to contact us (my husband and I) a few years before this. Like he was hinting that he wanted to get together or something, even though we lived hours away and my husband had not seen him in years. He was weird and clingy and I'm so glad nothing ever came of it.

I also went to high school with a guy who was high out of his mind on meth and participated in the murder of a little girl, but I can't say I really knew him.

And my dad worked a job with Danny Coston, who killed two people, but he didn't know him well. Just knew they were on the same jobsite.
Murder of Jacob Wheeler and Jessi Evans
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
crystaldawn

Interesting question. Right out of college I worked as a receptionist for a company here in town. They were subcontracting at our local refinery and they were originally located in Louisiana. The safety director was Terry Dixon who I believe was from nearby Terre Haute, IN. We had often heard of the trouble he had with his stepson Sean. One day Sean was in the office and met him. Seemed like a friendly guy (was in his teens). My job was temporary and it ended eventually as did everyone else from that company and a few years later they were showing a news tease on the Terre Haute tv station and I just glanced and it was a picture of Terry Dixon!!! Of course I watched it and was shocked and horrified to see that the stepson Sean that we had all met shot and killed Terry in his sleep!! I believe he's still in prison and I even have a picture of him posing with all of us in one of my old scrapbooks.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

He's not a murderer, but almost....

I took this internship in the summer of 2011. One of my bosses was this REALLY cranky, mean guy who would constantly berate us and was all around just a jerk to work for. I always complained about him to one of my friends. Well, one morning my friend texted me and was like, "google your boss's name." I was like, umm ok...well, the first thing that came up was his listing on the local sex offender registry. He had done vile things to children and had to live away from schools, etc. *shudder*

I was beyond creeped-out having to work for him after that. Thankfully, the assignment didn't last long.
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
RobinW

In the town I grew up in, three young people were charged with the brutal torture and murder of a teenage boy over a decade ago. One of them happened to be the younger brother of one my brother's friends. I had personally met this kid a couple of times and always felt sorry for him since he had suffered brain damage after being hit by a car and was very slow. Since the kid was underage, his name was never publicly released because of the Young Offenders Act here in Canada. He wound up getting a much lighter sentence than the other two perpetrators since they had apparently threatened him into participating in the murder and his defence team claimed he lacked the mental capacity to defend himself. I believe he's been free for a few years now.

Mental disability or not, some of the details of this crime are so horrific that I hope I never cross paths with the guy again.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
La Llorona
Still afraid of Omar
Occasional Poster

Several years ago I tried to take an Intro to World Religions class but eventually dropped partly because I was extremely uncomfortable that also taking the class was a guy who took part in a notorious local gang rape and murder of a girl when he was 15 (he was released from CYA when he turned 21). I am his younger brother's age so although I don't know him personally (other than my discomfort being in his presence) I can recall being in the 4th grade and overhearing his poor mother confiding to our teacher her devastation about her son the rapist and her fear that the son who was my age would go down the same path. The son my age found religion and for a while we even went to the same church. Other than trying to go to college I don't know what the rapist brother was doing with his life. I just know that if I ever see him in a classroom again I'll probably drop the course.
La Llorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
unsolved1981
Frequent Poster

Yes. My brother (and to a lesser extant myself) was close friends with Andy Mickel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Mickel

We used to trade/loan game boy games from him from about 1991-7. Eventually we lost touch with him as we were in High school, but he had started to become weirder before that. Eventually he got really into the anti globalization movement, so much so that he justified killing a random cop at a gas station in the middle of the night, then confessed to it on an IndyMedia site.

He's on death row now in California for that murder. We haven't been in touch with him.

What I can remember the most about him was that he was actually very funny. He was very intelligent and good with puns/practical jokes. He used to do things to get a reaction out of people very subtlety. I remember he had a small white beagle dog, and one day when we came over his house, he had colored the dog's ears/back so that he had a snoopy pattern (which fooled me for a minute, until I pet the dog and the marker was on my hand).
unsolved1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

My dad knew this guy back in the late 50s, and predicted he'd end up a murderer because he seemed to enjoy attacking people so much. At the time my dad knew him, he was treating the attacks like an amusing game. Really weird dude.

http://murderpedia.org/male.T/t/taylor-gary-addison.htm

He kept getting put into mental institutions that would let him out on furloughs and he'd commit more crimes.

Some of the things I remember my dad telling me about him (that's not in the links above) was that his parents were well off / well connected, and could pull strings to get lighter punishments for his crimes. He would park in front of people's houses and honk his horn, when they came to the door or looked out the window to see who was there, he'd shoot at them, which he thought was funny. I think he carried a machete in Detroit and either attacked or attempted to attack people with that.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
sprinkles
Frequent Poster

I had graduated from HS and moved to another city with a roommate to attend beauty school. One of the first people I met there was the guy who lived across the street (Bob) and his teenage son (Pat).

I was young and immature, and had a difficult time adjusting to living on my own for the first time. My neighbor took me under his wing, and I got to know him pretty well. Or so I thought! I hung out with the son alone quite a bit, until he decided to move to another state and live with his mom. Then I hung out alone with the dad a lot. I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable being alone with either of them. Neither of them made any moves on me or anything.

The son eventually moved back, but I didn't have much contact with him or the dad by then. I had graduated from cosmetology school and moved back home, and the dad had remarried. I'd call once in awhile to catch up on everyone, but we didn't really have much of a relationship anymore.

One day, Pat was on the news for attacking and attempting to molest a child. I was shocked, as I had never seen that side of him before! I don't remember his sentence, but I do know he was in jail for a long time. State law requires all inmates to submit DNA, and the results are uploaded to see if they match any unsolved crimes. One day there was a hit and, fifteen years later (a little over a year ago), he got caught!

Sixteen years ago, there was a woman who had been raped and murdered under a bridge. She was carrying a bible and was on her way to church when she was attacked. Her left her in a nearby ditch to die. I remember hearing about the case since it was all over the news, but didn't keep tabs on it. The media released a picture of a suspect, but it didn't look like anyone I knew. Turns out Pat is the one who committed the murder, the DNA is how he got caught. He said in court that he had no memory of it, and that he was high on drugs at the time. He still has not been tried for the murder, but he pled guilty in order to avoid the death penalty.

Bob and his new wife eventually divorced. The wife sent me a letter afterwards saying how he abused her and threatened to kill her regularly. I had no idea! She remarried rather quickly, and moved away. After the news came out about Pat, I called her one day because I'm nosy and wanted to know what details she might be willing to divulge.

She really didn't say much at all about the situation. She did tell me one thing though. She was still married to Bob at the time of the crime, and they thought the picture of the suspect looked an awful lot like Pat, enough so that they went to the cops. The cops had no real interest in talking with them, so they figured they'd done their duty and left it at that. I never thought the picture looked like Pat, so I was kinda shocked when she told me that.

At one point, Pat thought his sentencing for attempting to molest the little girl was too strong, so he went to court to see if the judge would lessen it. He told the judge that it wasn't like he had killed anyone! Uh, yeah he had! He just hadn't gotten caught yet.

Sadly, his dad was an abuser, and his older brother is also in prison for rape and other crimes. So I guess it's not too surprising Pat turned out the way he did. After all this came out about the murder, I started researching Pat more and found out about a several other crimes he committed. I'm so glad I never saw that side of him.

Last edited by sprinkles; 08-05-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: adding additional info
sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkles
One day, Pat was on the news for attacking and attempting to molest a child. I was shocked, as I had never seen that side of him before! I don't remember his sentence, but I do know he was in jail for a long time. State law requires all inmates to submit DNA, and the results are uploaded to see if they match any unsolved crimes. One day there was a hit and, fifteen years later (a little over a year ago), he got caught!

Sixteen years ago, there was a woman who had been raped and murdered under a bridge. She was carrying a bible and was on her way to church when she was attacked. Her left her in a nearby ditch to die. I remember hearing about the case since it was all over the news, but didn't keep tabs on it. The media released a picture of a suspect, but it didn't look like anyone I knew. Turns out Pat is the one who committed the murder, the DNA is how he got caught. He said in court that he had no memory of it, and that he was high on drugs at the time. He still has not been tried for the murder, but he pled guilty in order to avoid the death penalty.
This sounded familiar, so I did a search. I guess I must have read the story online a while back. Is it Patrick Jon Zacharias? The details match up:

Zacharias pleads guilty to murder, rape of Kay Lynn Jackson

Quote:
By KBOI Web Staff Published: Dec 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM MDT

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) - A 40-year-old man recently charged with murdering a 22-year-old woman back in 1998 has pleaded guilty.

The Ada County Prosecutors office said Patrick Jon Zacharias pleaded guilty Tuesday to first degree murder and rape. Officials charged Zacharias in April for the muder of Kay Lynn Jackson, who was found dead along the Boise Greenbelt, more than 15 years ago on April 5, 1998.

Zacharias, who's already serving a life sentence in prison for lewd conduct with a minor under the age of 16, has been in prison since 2007.

Jackson was walking to church along the Greenbelt carrying a Bible in her hands. Her body was found in a tunnel under the Americana Boulevard bridge.

During his incarceration, a sample of Zacharias’ DNA was taken and entered into a national crime information database, which led to a major break in the case.

Prosecutors and Zacharias have agreed to a plea agreement calling for a life sentence without the possibility of parole after he serves the life sentence he's currently facing. In exchange for the guilty please, the state will not pursue the death penalty.

Should the judge not agree to the agreement or Zacharias is successful in withdrawing his plea, the state would then be free to pursue the death penalty.

He's scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 17.
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I've talked about this on the UM boards before. I went to school with this guy, who was briefly on Unsolved Mysteries in the Dannion Brinkley segment:

Also went to school with this guy, who was not featured on UM. I didn't know the main subject of the article, but one of the other men involved also went to my high school.

I also lived in the same town as these brothers and knew them in passing.

Dang. Lots of high profile crime in such a pretty town. Someone should write a book.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #15
sprinkles
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap Dancer
This sounded familiar, so I did a search. I guess I must have read the story online a while back. Is it Patrick Jon Zacharias? The details match up:

Yes, Patrick Jon Zacharias. Do you live in Idaho?
sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote