Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-27-2001, 07:36 PM   #1
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie
Post Jump The Shark: Here's Lucy.

How did you think HL jumped the shark during it's run? I think it did when Vivian was washed out of the series.

------------------
Andrew Carden
callmetootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 12:09 AM   #2
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by callmetootie:
How did you think HL jumped the shark during it's run? I think it did when Vivian was washed out of the series.

Wrong show your thinking of "The Lucy Show".

Unless your thinking of Viv's infrequent guess appearences on HL. If this is the case, she wasn't "washed out of the series", she found out after her last HL appearence that she had cancer, because of this she was unable to make an guest shots on HL.

Her last appearence with Lucy was on the special "Lucy Calls The President", in either 1976 or 77.
That Other Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
TV Guy

Yup, Viv was never a regular on "Here's Lucy". She made one or two guest appearances a year for the first four seasons. She was a regular on "The Lucy Show" for it's first three seasons before leaving.

I think TLS jumped the shark when Viv left, because the format changed and Lucy and Mr. Mooney by themselves got very tiring. I think "Here's Lucy" jumped from day one -- Lucille Ball was forced to carry some very badly-written episodes. There are a few good ones here and there, but overall its a major comedown from "I Love Lucy", and the early days of "The Lucy Show".
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 08:33 AM   #4
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie
I extremly agree that Lucy was wasted in HL...it's not that great of a series, but so many people want to watch it because they're Lucy lovers...like me. I think that the first 1 or 2 seasons were the only good ones.

------------------
Andrew Carden
callmetootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 01:08 PM   #5
TV Guy

I'm with you, Andrew. It's worth watching simply because Lucille Ball is in it. It says a lot about her talent that she was able to make such a mediocre-to-lousy sitcom into a top 10 hit.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 03:30 AM   #6
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TV Guy:
I'm with you, Andrew. It's worth watching simply because Lucille Ball is in it. It says a lot about her talent that she was able to make such a mediocre-to-lousy sitcom into a top 10 hit.
Here's Lucy is a BIG comedown from the glory days of ILL, but it's not as bad as some potray it to be. I have seen worst shows with even sillier plots and eps last longer than HL( I won't name the shows because it may offend some), and are better remembered than TLS and HL combined!

And your right TV Guy, it takes a tremendous amount of talent to be able to make some of the episodes HL entertaining!

[This message has been edited by That Other Fan (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-16-2001, 11:58 PM   #7
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

I think HL jumped when Desi Jr. left. No, really. I agree, some of the scripts stunk, but I think they were downright dreadful once Lucy only had one kid there. Lucie's great, but the three were good with each other.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 12:03 PM   #8
EdLuvsLucy
Frequent Poster

While I love watching Here's Lucy I have to agree that it wasn't as good as I Love Lucy. But I guess its hard to live up to the success of a classic. I think Here's Lucy started to go down hill around the fourth season and by the time Lucy had broken her leg in the fifth season it really lost something. Thats not to say it was a bad show it just wasn't up to the quality of I Love Lucy. I think it was getting harder to come up with new ideas and there was no real continuity to the series as a whole. But all in all it was great to have new shows featuring Lucy and would be great to see her in it again.

------------------
ELL
EdLuvsLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:29 PM   #9
CHUCK T
Frequent Poster

Yes "Here's Lucy" was a major comedown...even from "The Lucy Show", but the major interst in the show was seeing Lucy work with her real life children. Also, Desi Sr. used to come to tapings of "Here's Lucy" when the children were featured (Gary Morton would introduce him to the audience as , "My ex-husband in-law")and very occassionally on the Here's Lucy soundtrack you can hear his familiar guffaw as he laughed with the studio audience. But Desi certainly wasn't a fan of "Here's Lucy", he felt that the story lines had no rhyme or reason to them. He felt that Lucy should create her havoc in a carefully thought out situation that audiences could relate to. He was right.

Also, on "Here's Lucy" they sure did shout there lines alot!!
CHUCK T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:50 PM   #10
APPLEI
Forum Regular

I THINK HERES LUCY DEPENDED ON GUESTSTARS TOO MUCH.
MOST OF THE TIME THE GUEST STARS WERE JUST WINDOWDRESSING TO MAKE UP FOR BAD WRITING!

ONE EXCEPTION WAS THE EPISODE WITH LIZ TAYLOR AND RICHARD BURTON.
THAT EPISODE RANKS UP THERE WITH SOME OF THE CLASSIC I LOVE LUCY EPISODES.
APPLEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
LucyFan
Still Loving Lucy!

I think Here's Lucy jumped the shark some when Desi Arnaz, Jr. left the show. Despite that he wasn't the main character, he DID add some things that made the show more real and likeable. Likewise, it was a shame to see him leave Here's Lucy because he was immedaitly missed thereafter. His mark was already made and it never really got filled up after his departure. In other words, when he left Here's Lucy so did a part of show left too.
LucyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
RoseNylund
Back in St. Olaf...
Frequent Poster

One of the MAJOR reasons that this show was different from past shows is Lucille Ball reading off those cue cards. I don't think she ever did in I LOVE LUCY or even THE LUCY SHOW, but in HERE'S LUCY, practically every episode she is looking off stage to the cue cards. This really took away from the comedy. So much of her brillance was her relationship to the cast, and half the time she was reading off the cards; probably because at that time she really was running the entire show, as producer as well, and just didn't have as much time to learn her lines.
RoseNylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #13
ARealLucyFan
Occasional Poster

The show never jumped the shark. It was always great. It definitely improved after Desi Jr. left, although it didn't have anything to do with him. The writing improved and the cast was fantastic.
ARealLucyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #14
bb25
Forum Regular

Actually, Lucie Arnaz stated that she didn't really start using the the cue cards heavily until the 5th or 6th seasons, and that at the beginning to middle of the show, she memorized everyones line...

All I can say is that after 2 decades of constant memorization, anyone would want to give their brain a rest...
bb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:52 AM   #15
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Were Lucie and Desi Jr that talented that the whole show jumped the shark once one of these actors decided to leave?

I've always thought of Lucie and Desi were pretty good in HL, but not THAT good,lol. It was LUCILLE's show not LUCIE's (or Desi Jr's).