Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #46
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursiorandcursior
You're essentially correct up to a point. However, there are SOME things that are known. As to the time frames, that's pretty much on target. But here is where the investigation went wrong, in my view. And I believe it is critically important. I won't go into all of the details but let me point out that the van was almost certainly not the color that the official police version said it was; namely "moss green." A dirty white van cruised the neighborhood for three weeks prior to the abductions and when the women dissappeared, so did the van. Additionally, the "moss green" van sightings were not particularly logical in that the witnesses weren't exactly credible. So the public was looking for a van that either never existed, or the wrong color van. Without any question this was a botched investigation from the very start which even the then police chief acknowledged. So much so that the very best investigator who worked the case asked to be let off the case because it was such a mess.

I'll leave it there for the time being but that's a start in understanding the case. BTW, the case was on "48 hours" (still available from CBS), AMW and Unsolved Mysteries and perhaps several other programs. What has never definitively established is the logical motive. That I can cover in future postings. I believe it is rather clear. There are three possible scenarios that I can think of. One, in particular, is the most probable.
Wht is your source for the alleged "dirty white van" that was cruising the neighborhood prior to the murder? I never found any reference to a white van anywhere on the net.

When was this case on Unsolved Mysteries? I don't remember ever seeing it.

And what hard information do you have, if any? Please, do elaborate.

I have some ideas, but it's just speculation and, without any real physical evidence, all I'm doing, in all honesty, is guessing.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #47
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
Wht is your source for the alleged "dirty white van" that was cruising the neighborhood prior to the murder? I never found any reference to a white van anywhere on the net.

When was this case on Unsolved Mysteries? I don't remember ever seeing it.

And what hard information do you have, if any? Please, do elaborate.

I have some ideas, but it's just speculation and, without any real physical evidence, all I'm doing, in all honesty, is guessing.
The dirty white van was reported by both the Kansas City Star and the Springfield News-Leader as having been circling the home/neighborhood for three weeks prior to the abductions. When the women dissappeared, so did the van. This information was given to the news media by then Captain Tony Glenn of the SPD. The K.C. Star still has this information in its archives and is available for a fee. The Springfield News Leader did not archive its own news until 1999 but the hard copy is available at the Springfield City Library.

A description of the individual driving the van was also provided. The so-called "moss green" van was a concoction that came from two highly suspect witnesses after the fact. One from a woman to "scared" to come forward for several days and the second from a man who wrote the plate number down of a "suspicious" van on a newspaper which he then threw away. Both were later hypnotized to no avail. The credibility of the "moss green" van is almost patently absurd and makes one wonder why the SPD settled on this color. I do know that even today, this is a matter of some dissagreement within the department. I think it was a major foul-up by incompetent people or put in the worst possible light a deliberate cover-up by the police department. To show the extent of the incompetence, the Assistant Police Chief at the time attributed their dissappearance to "extra-terrestials." He is now gone but that was the quality of the investigation. It only got worse. This case should have been solved 15 years ago.
Cursiorandcursior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #48
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
What has never definitively established is the logical motive. That I can cover in future postings. I believe it is rather clear. There are three possible scenarios that I can think of. One, in particular, is the most probable.
What about this "logical motive" you speak of? Sounds like you have a few ideas. And what about the scenarios you mention? What do you think are the possibilites/probabilities here?
mozartpc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #49
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

Quote:
What about this "logical motive" you speak of? Sounds like you have a few ideas. And what about the scenarios you mention? What do you think are the possibilites/probabilities here?
The most logical scenario is the connection to the grave robbing charges where Suzie was going to testify a week later. That particular case was not the reason they were abducted but tangentially it was the most likely reason. It would be my speculation that at least one of the grave robbers was almost certainly under great pressure to give up valuable information on the drug trade in the area. I believe that was the most logical scenario. The grave robbers did not carry out the abductions but someone else had great reason to want to remove Suzie and of necessity her mother as well (mothers and daughters talk) to take the heat off. The grave robbing case sort of fizzled over the following months.

A second plausible scenario would be pure robbery and/or revenge. But the $800 left behind in Sherrill's purse argues against that scenario unless it was deliberately left to send the investigation in a different directly. Quite obviously the crime scene was staged.

A third scenario but the least likely would be "Reason 'X'". I won't go into that on an open forum. However, if one has an active imagination they can probably guess what I am alluding to. That is to say, no one should be ruled out as a suspect.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #50
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
The most logical scenario is the connection to the grave robbing charges where Suzie was going to testify a week later. That particular case was not the reason they were abducted but tangentially it was the most likely reason. It would be my speculation that at least one of the grave robbers was almost certainly under great pressure to give up valuable information on the drug trade in the area. I believe that was the most logical scenario. The grave robbers did not carry out the abductions but someone else had great reason to want to remove Suzie and of necessity her mother as well (mothers and daughters talk) to take the heat off. The grave robbing case sort of fizzled over the following months.
Hmmm. Explain more about this grave robbing charge and its relationship to drug trafficking. Nowhere in any of the sources I could find was it mentioned that one of these three women was scheduled to testify in a trial; you'd think that if this were the case, especially if it were to be a trial about something so gruesome and sensationalistic as graverobbing, that it would come up in almost any description of the victims and the case in general.

Quote:
A second plausible scenario would be pure robbery and/or revenge. But the $800 left behind in Sherrill's purse argues against that scenario unless it was deliberately left to send the investigation in a different directly. Quite obviously the crime scene was staged.
Revenge for what?

And how do you mean the crime scene was "staged?" From what I read, the house is not the "crime scene," in that no one was harmed there. The crime scene, from what I read, is unidentified. Unless you mean to refer to the house as the scene of the kidnapping, which I guess it is, but still, how was it "staged?"

Quote:
A third scenario but the least likely would be "Reason 'X'". I won't go into that on an open forum. However, if one has an active imagination they can probably guess what I am alluding to. That is to say, no one should be ruled out as a suspect.
Well, for the record, I would be surprised if the crime had nothing to do with this third reason.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #51
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Hmmm. Explain more about this grave robbing charge and its relationship to drug trafficking. Nowhere in any of the sources I could find was it mentioned that one of these three women was scheduled to testify in a trial; you'd think that if this were the case, especially if it were to be a trial about something so gruesome and sensationalistic as graverobbing, that it would come up in almost any description of the victims and the case in general.

Revenge for what?

And how do you mean the crime scene was "staged?" From what I read, the house is not the "crime scene," in that no one was harmed there. The crime scene, from what I read, is unidentified. Unless you mean to refer to the house as the scene of the kidnapping, which I guess it is, but still, how was it "staged?"

Well, for the record, I would be surprised if the crime had nothing to do with this third reason.
I'm perfectly willing to discuss this case in great detail but I will have to say that it would be helpful to know the background of the case.

1) Suzie was scheduled to testify about the grave robbing case one week after she was abducted. Related, but not the underlying reason. Provides a very strong motive. The grave robbing matter was highly publicized. You can go to the Greene County Circuit Clerk's web site and read all about it; the names of the individuals, etc. It is a public document. (Covered in the "48 hour tape)

2) There were family "issues." Provides a motive; strong but not as strong as reason 1. (Covered in the "48 hour" program)

3) It was said in the Kansas City Star that no "outsider" DNA or fingerprints were found at the scene. That should help explain "Reason 'X'". Connect the dots. Provides the least likely motive but cannot be ruled out.

If you can obtain a copy of the "48 hours" tape all of this would be helpful. It is still available through CBS television.

The fact that all three women's purses were neatly stacked on the steps to the step-down bedroom fairly well establishes that this was a staged scene. If this was a "disorganized crime" there would have been a much higher state of chaos in the home as one would have expected when three women were snatched from the home. It was well planned and expertly carried out. The grave robbers themselves did not do this. They were cleared early in the investigation. But one of them was almost certainly scared out of his wits at being sent to the "Big House" where he would have been prime flesh for the predators that stalk the prisons of today. What he knew was what prompted this crime, in my best judgment. By getting the virtually certain prison sentence out of the way, the pressure for him to talk and give up vital information about illicit operations (almost certainly drugs) would have to be considered the motivating reason for this crime. So far as I know the one most vulnerable did not serve a day in jail and he was provided a very expensive criminal attorney who got him off the hook. The other, a typical "dumpster diver" type was left to the public defender's office. He didn't give a hoot. He said openly that he was glad the "xxxxxx's" were dead. The other, by contrast, was Suzie's ex-boyfriend and was seen going to a support group to deal with the issue. Again, you can go to the circuit clerk's website and look him and the other one up. Just find the docket sheet and read their names. And then look them both up to see what if any sentences were handed down and any other offenses they may have been charged with, convicted and sentenced.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #52
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
I'm perfectly willing to discuss this case in great detail but I will have to say that it would be helpful to know the background of the case.
You seem to know where the information is, and I don't...

Quote:
1) Suzie was scheduled to testify about the grave robbing case one week after she was abducted. Related, but not the underlying reason. Provides a very strong motive. The grave robbing matter was highly publicized. You can go to the Greene County Circuit Clerk's web site and read all about it; the names of the individuals, etc. It is a public document. (Covered in the "48 hour tape)
Quote:
The other, by contrast, was Suzie's ex-boyfriend and was seen going to a support group to deal with the issue. Again, you can go to the circuit clerk's website and look him and the other one up. Just find the docket sheet and read their names. And then look them both up to see what if any sentences were handed down and any other offenses they may have been charged with, convicted and sentenced.
It would help if you would simply give me the names of the two alleged grave robbers... or a direct link to the Greene County Circuit Court's website. Also, assume I don't have, and can't get, the 48 hours program.

I'd love to discuss this, and once I know all the facts, I will. Why are you so evasive with what you know?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #53
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

I found the Greene County Circuit Court website, but without a docket number I can't do a search. Without a program date, I can't order the 48 Hours tape, even if I wanted to.

Strange, isn't it, that I can't use any of the methods you suggest to verify anything you've said?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #54
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I found the Greene County Circuit Court website, but without a docket number I can't do a search. Without a program date, I can't order the 48 Hours tape, even if I wanted to.

Strange, isn't it, that I can't use any of the methods you suggest to verify anything you've said?
492CF0856

492CF0856A

http://store.cbs.com/item.php?id=4416&sid=580
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #55
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Well, thanks for the docket numbers. Each one's first "record" is more than a week after the disappearance of the three women (they vanished 6/7/92, the charges were filed 6/26/92), so there seems to be a bit of discrepancy there. Also, the only listed charge on both dockets is vandalism; if these are for graverobbing, I'm a little surprised other charges (Desecration of remains, for example) weren't filed in addition. I'll have to take your word that there is any connection at all between one of the victims and these dockets, because nothing on them indicates that there was; the first case went to probation, and, following a violation of probation, remand to custody, and the other pleaded guilty, served 14 days, was released on probation, and then also committed a violation. Neither of these dovetails with your previous account.

As for the 48 hours program, thanks for finding the specific tape. I'm not blowing $30 on it though, so if you've seen the episode or have it on tape, please relate, in detail, what it reveals.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #56
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Well, thanks for the docket numbers. Each one's first "record" is more than a week after the disappearance of the three women (they vanished 6/7/92, the charges were filed 6/26/92), so there seems to be a bit of discrepancy there. Also, the only listed charge on both dockets is vandalism; if these are for graverobbing, I'm a little surprised other charges (Desecration of remains, for example) weren't filed in addition. I'll have to take your word that there is any connection at all between one of the victims and these dockets, because nothing on them indicates that there was; the first case went to probation, and, following a violation of probation, remand to custody, and the other pleaded guilty, served 14 days, was released on probation, and then also committed a violation. Neither of these dovetails with your previous account.

As for the 48 hours program, thanks for finding the specific tape. I'm not blowing $30 on it though, so if you've seen the episode or have it on tape, please relate, in detail, what it reveals.
I beg your pardon. Suzie was scheduled to testify one week after she was abducted. I'm getting a little annoyed at your gratutious remarks. You can do your own research in the future.

If you knew the case, you would know that the grave robbers broke into crypts and set the hair of one skull on fire so they could see to steal the gold out of another skull. Additionally, there was Satanism involved as well, although that is not a criminal offense. But the felony grave robbing certainly is. I have said all along that is NOT the reason these women were abducted. What is virtually a certainty is what the grave robbers; one in particular would have offered up in order to keep out of state prison. That's the obvious motive. Who stood to benefit by shutting him up?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #57
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Sorry, I replied to this earlier, but somehow it got lost. I don't mean to be snarky, but what am I supposed to do when you give me docket numbers that lead to cases in which charges were not filed until 6/26/92, almost three full weeks after the women disappeared? How could one of them have been slated to testify at a trial the next week if charges in the case she was supposedly ready to testify during weren't even filed until 18 days after she disappeared? It's simply not possible.

The larger issue here is that you obviously know quite a bit about this case, but at every step, instead of simply explaining what you know, you've attempted to make comments that seem designed into baiting previous posters and myself into asking the next question, and the next, and the next. If you have real information, why not just come out with it? I'd be happy to discuss this case when I have all the relevant facts, but I also can't justify spending $30+shipping for a tape that might not even add to the information I have been able to locate on the internet.

Just tell us EVERYTHING you know, then we can all discuss it intelligently!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #58
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

I want to apologize for my last posts. I shouldn't have been so vague. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since I posted nearly five years ago. I would like to see this thread restarted. For what it is worth I now believe that Cox is the best suspect. He is currently in prison in Lovelady, Texas until 2025 on an unrelated charge.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #59
WishfulDreamer

I just reviewed the Charley Project for this case and was shocked to see details I'd forgotten. Namely, the dog theory, that the dog named Cinnamon was used to gain entry into the home, by pretending it had run away and the kidnappers had found it. I'm not sure of the home layout, but perhaps the people took the dog from the yard, then came to the door to use it as a ploy to gain entry and the girls looked out the window (the blinds were shown to be pushed in a manner that made it seem they'd been looking at the outside) and saw the dog and opened the door. Using a story about the dog getting away and them finding her, the assailants may have acted friendly, then pushed their way in. There were no signs of a struggle at all. If it wasn't someone who knew them well, then I think there was probably a gun to keep the women from fleeing. The porchlight was then shattered to ensure that nobody saw the events or assailants, then the women were abducted. It's so horrifying to think about and this all went on in the early morning hours, with very little evidence left behind. This case is so creepy.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #60
Cursiorandcursior
Frequent Poster

If it is any consolation I believe that the identities of the perpetrators are known. However, the remains have yet to be found and there is no clear motive. The case is still active but until someone confesses, which may never happen, the solving is in limbo. The 20th anniversary of their disappearance is soon to be on us. Perhaps there will be more news released at that time.