Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #106
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom1981
About the shoes: He could have been wearing another pair of shoes. For example, I've always had two pairs of shoes- flip-flops and shoes that I wear to work. Just because they found shoes in his dorm doesn't mean that he wasn't wearing any when he disappeared. If he was walking around the dorms with no shoes then it could be within the norm for Michael to go outside while shoeless. Another example is that I don't wear shoes when I go outside to get the newspaper early in the morning.
Articles I read said that he only had one pair of shoes and they were in the room. All that was missing was a second pair of "night shoes" (I can't think of the right word, but they're like slippers but not sandals) and it is presumed that he was wearing them, and wasn't dressed appropriately for the weather.

Quote:
Another theory that I have is that maybe he went to go visit another friend and he accidentally overdosed on drugs. Some students probably panicked and dumped his body somewhere. I believe there was a lot of partying going on. The students probably weren't going to risk being expelled from UCLA and compromising their futures over it. It'd be interesting to know if any of the students who lived near Michael had dropped out/transferred to another school after his disappearance.
That sounds reasonable. I wasn't a partier but I think most partying here ends around 2am. It's plausible he could have been partying, especially those rave style parties that were common. He was drinking earlier in the evening.

It seems like all of the pressure of the investigation would have brought out info if he was with students and they dumped his body but it happens all the time. Of course, if they were not students... well now I am going in circles.

[Back when I believed the scent hounds, I thought maybe a drunk driver hit and killed him at Sunset/Bellagio accidentally and dumped the body.]

Quote:
Regardless, I do believe that the police and the Negrete family knows what happened and that is why it's not being actively investigated. When you compound the fact the investigation was botched from the start, it wouldn't be surprising if the police decided to write off the case as a lost cause because they know they will never get a conviction unless someone confesses.
I am conflicted. It's not actively being investigated, yet his mom was asking where she could get contact info for alum. It seems like she could get that information through the private investigator she hired. I thought that was kind of strange.

If I were the investigator, I would be interviewing the heck out of the person that came forward 7 months later with the sketch of the man supposedly seen on Mike's floor when he disappeared. Not that the student necessarily was involved, but could have had a guilty conscience about something in the best case. I wouldn't be suspicious except for the fact that this person waited so long, after everyone had moved out for the summer when there were plenty of opportunities to share this. There might be some explanations for the long wait, but I have rambled on enough for one post.
UCLABruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #107
DrDoom1981
Occasional Poster

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABruin
Articles I read said that he only had one pair of shoes and they were in the room. All that was missing was a second pair of "night shoes" (I can't think of the right word, but they're like slippers but not sandals) and it is presumed that he was wearing them, and wasn't dressed appropriately for the weather.
That sounds reasonable. I wasn't a partier but I think most partying here ends around 2am. It's plausible he could have been partying, especially those rave style parties that were common. He was drinking earlier in the evening.

It seems like all of the pressure of the investigation would have brought out info if he was with students and they dumped his body but it happens all the time. Of course, if they were not students... well now I am going in circles.

[Back when I believed the scent hounds, I thought maybe a drunk driver hit and killed him at Sunset/Bellagio accidentally and dumped the body.]
1. Yes, but the investigation was botched from the start. They probably know who did it or at least who has information about what happened. At the end of the day, all that matters to the police is getting a conviction and they probably felt like they couldn't get one with all the mistakes that were made. You'd be surprised at what secrets people will hold when it's their ass on the line. I'm sure a lot of those students came from rich families who have access to some pretty good legal counsel who would advise them to keep their mouth shut.

I don't think it was a drunk driver. It doesn't make sense as to why Michael would be wandering in the streets late at night. A hit-and-run driver isn't going to take the body with them either.

Quote:
I am conflicted. It's not actively being investigated, yet his mom was asking where she could get contact info for alum. It seems like she could get that information through the private investigator she hired. I thought that was kind of strange.

If I were the investigator, I would be interviewing the heck out of the person that came forward 7 months later with the sketch of the man supposedly seen on Mike's floor when he disappeared. Not that the student necessarily was involved, but could have had a guilty conscience about something in the best case. I wouldn't be suspicious except for the fact that this person waited so long, after everyone had moved out for the summer when there were plenty of opportunities to share this. There might be some explanations for the long wait, but I have rambled on enough for one post.
2. I would be skeptical about the credibility/reliability of anyone from that night especially if they had all been partying, drinking, etc. I think the mystery man is more of a red herring. Some people think it was David Westerfield who was an acquaintance of the Negrete family and had killed a 7 year old girl. It's odd that only one person saw this mystery man. Maybe they felt pressure to give the police something. The person who gave them the description could have been a suspect themselves.

Overall, I think the mom should give more information about the case. Obviously, the police are not interested in it and findmikenow.com is no longer active. Maybe she's at peace?
DrDoom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #108
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of those students came from rich families who have access to some pretty good legal counsel who would advise them to keep their mouth shut.
At UCLA, that is much less likely than at a private school. Mike himself was from an upper-middle class area, but seemed modest and humble. That could be the case though.

Quote:
I don't think it was a drunk driver. It doesn't make sense as to why Michael would be wandering in the streets late at night. A hit-and-run driver isn't going to take the body with them either.
That's not my theory, but initially the scent path was a focus. The area where his scent was supposedly last picked up is a very winding road that is a major congested street during the day. A drunk driver on that empty boulevard is likely, and a drunk driver getting into an accident on that road is likely. (This is near where Lindsay Lohan got in her accident). If the scent was reliable, he could have been picked up by someone, or left on his own via bus (scent was detected at the bus stop). Who knows why he would wander the campus (that whole area was the residential part of the campus). His scent trail was a very bizarre one away from sidewalks. [Another student disappeared from UCLA for a few months due to a psychiatric syndrome. He disappeared by bus. Likely just coincidence though?]

But the dogs have pretty much been ruled out as reliable.

Quote:
2. I would be skeptical about the credibility/reliability of anyone from that night especially if they had all been partying, drinking, etc. I think the mystery man is more of a red herring. Some people think it was David Westerfield who was an acquaintance of the Negrete family and had killed a 7 year old girl. It's odd that only one person saw this mystery man. Maybe they felt pressure to give the police something. The person who gave them the description could have been a suspect themselves.
Mmhmm. Exactly. I've heard David Westerfield and Damon van Dam both mentioned. The sketch matches Damon a lot and he and his father were somewhere between "just knew of each other" and "casual acquaintances". Likely red herring. I wish that would have been investigated more.

Quote:
Overall, I think the mom should give more information about the case. Obviously, the police are not interested in it and findmikenow.com is no longer active. Maybe she's at peace?
It is hosted by a family friend. It went down for a long time and I wrote to the webmaster and he didn't realize it was down and he reactivated it. I think she is in a catch 22 with releasing information. From the way she reached out to the Facebook group, it seemed like she was at peace, but still wanted to know something, anything, just without a formal investigation anymore.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #109
DrDoom1981
Occasional Poster

Quote:
That's not my theory, but initially the scent path was a focus. The area where his scent was supposedly last picked up is a very winding road that is a major congested street during the day. A drunk driver on that empty boulevard is likely, and a drunk driver getting into an accident on that road is likely. (This is near where Lindsay Lohan got in her accident). If the scent was reliable, he could have been picked up by someone, or left on his own via bus (scent was detected at the bus stop). Who knows why he would wander the campus (that whole area was the residential part of the campus). His scent trail was a very bizarre one away from sidewalks. [Another student disappeared from UCLA for a few months due to a psychiatric syndrome. He disappeared by bus. Likely just coincidence though?]

But the dogs have pretty much been ruled out as reliable.
It could also be that Michael had been in that area earlier in the day and that was the scent that they picked up. Also, Michael did not have a car and it would not be unrealistic for him to have taken the bus from time to time.

Quote:
It is hosted by a family friend. It went down for a long time and I wrote to the webmaster and he didn't realize it was down and he reactivated it. I think she is in a catch 22 with releasing information. From the way she reached out to the Facebook group, it seemed like she was at peace, but still wanted to know something, anything, just without a formal investigation anymore.
The site is still down. I think she knows that Michael is dead. I can't think of a better way of bringing attention to the case by releasing new information or at least what she thinks happened.
DrDoom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #110
Zero
Forum Regular

Haven't posted here in a while, but I've thought about Mike and remembered some things. Some LONG thoughts;

I've seen the mention of cell phones records. Back in 1999, hardly anyone had them. A few years before, pagers were all the rage, and that fad stuck around for quite a while. In late '99, I had a high paying job for an 18 year old, and even I didn't have a cell phone. I don't remember if I still had my pager then, but regardless, you get what I'm saying. Cell phones were just not common. It's very possible that he didn't have one.

I do remember sometime after the case went cold (could have been a year or a little less) there was a special on security at UCLA. The report centered around just how easy it would have been for some stranger to enter a dormitory. The camera captured students holding the door open for others out of courtesy, as well as a student knocking on a door and being let in. I want to say that keycards were used in that segment. Regardless, what I'm trying to say is, I believe it may have been easier for the strange 35 year old man to have enter the dorm than we originally believe.

The last time I saw anything about this case was a news report some years after. It was from a local affiliate in San Diego. I remember Michaels father spoke with a heavy spanish accent, and said he was very angry. He believed his son was taken by force, and he warned they would find the person or persons responsible. The reporter did mention "the camera" shows Michael simply walking out the door and vanishing. I saw this online, but this was a long time ago.

Chatting with someone, and going to meet them outside does make sense, especially if the mysterious individual lived elsewhere. The potential suspect would have had to have been hooked up to a computer himself. There was no WiFi back then. No messaging capabilities on cell phones, even DSL and cable were a luxury back then. Data ports were quite rare too. You had a telephone cord hooked to your computer and there was nothing you could do about it.

Michael could have been abducted. I don't mean a big burly guy grabbed him and carried him away. If he was taken against his will, it was more likely he ran into someone (willingly or not), and they pulled out a weapon and forced him to a vehicle. "Make a noise and I'll shoot!" That kind of thing.

Now that I read there was a lot of construction, it seems plausible that something did happen to him. Maybe he walked out and was murdered around the dorm, then buried by the killer. Whomever did that though had to have known just where to take his body.

As far as an accident cover up, I could see that happening if there was a basement that used to be there, later removed, thus leaving a giant hole in the ground, not closed off. That would be a liability. But I cannot see a cover up taking place if he just fell dead on the grass somewhere. Regardless of why, who would have had the time to drag him away? A security guard would have called for help. An undocumented immigrant walking or working in the area would have ran in the other direction. My point is, if he died outside of a construction site, I just don't see the desire to cover it up.

Until we know WHY he wanted to leave the security of his dorm at 4:30 in the morning, there will never be a solid lead. Just where on Earth was he going?!!?

Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #111
nolostbruins
Occasional Poster

The Michael Negrete case is difficult to understand because the UCLA dormitory area is considered extremely safe and Michael did not have any genuine reason to disappear from what I've read. I think Michael died outside of the dormitory. I believe there is an individual who knows the killer and had introduced Michael to the killer. It seems probable that the killer did not know Michael, but the killer knew a student in his dormitory or a nearby area. Michael was introduced to his killer by someone in the dormitory or by another ucla student nearby and got into the killers car. Maybe Michael insulted the wrong person, a botched robbery where MN had no money, a gang initiation killing, or complimented the killers girlfriend etc. The reasons for Michael leaving his dormitory at 4 am are for a chance to socialize, to be with a girl, to buy drugs (meth to study?), or to get food. Why would MN leave his key? I read one article that did not mention the key being left behind, but most articles do mention that MN left his key. His roommate seems suspect because no one in my opinion just leaves their key inside their dorm room. How else do they plan to get back inside??? Other then bothering the RA or hoping that their roommate will let them back in?!

I googled "michael negrete" "video" "security" to see if I could find any links of the actual footage but I just found individuals mentioning MN

unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2009/05/clues-sought-in-local-mans.html

this article says he logged off his computer at 3:40 am
articles.latimes.com/1999/dec/16/local/me-44533

I think the chances that the UCLA cadaver group had anything to do with this are slim to nil. I don't think that UCLA cadaver group would risk taking a UCLA student from campus, but I might be wrong. Perhaps the UCLA cadaver group needed a young adult male because they had sold off too much inventory and they needed an immediate replacement (maybe there are cadaver inventory records from around the time of MN disappearance that can confirm this?). I think it is a lot more probable that MN willingly got into a car and drove off. I really doubt someone abducted Michael from the dormitories because it would be to risky having the possibility of someone making too much noise and the predator being caught. Remember Thursday night of 10th week is a party day. The only reasons I can think of for someone going out at 4 in the morning on thursday night on 10th week is for a chance to socialize, to be with a girl, to buy drugs (meth to study?), or to get food. I hope this missing persons case gets more publicity! No Lost Bruins!
nolostbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #112
88keys
Forum Regular

Quote:
His scent trail was a very bizarre one away from sidewalks.
Could the scent trail have come from someone dragging his body away?
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #113
JimmieL
Occasional Poster

Well, the one thing I can remember very well about 1999 - as a 20-something at the time - is that you could meet people via internet chat. I met a married woman whom I had a fling in the summer of 1998 through one of those here-today-gone-tomorrow chat clients. In the Fall of 1998, I met a girl who lived in Nor. Cal. We met on ICQ. We flew back and forth for several months over weekends for our trysts. By the Spring of 1999, I met another girl - that time through a Yahoo chat (they no longer have now) based in Los Angeles - and we dated.

In between, I met lots of people for chit-chat that I could have met in person, too. I met other local women up through 2001. By 2001/2002, dating sites became the easiest way to meet potential mates, and I switched to that.

My point is, back in 1999, chat wasn't a useless space filled with spam and 'bots and weirdos as it is now. I still get pop up boxes to my old yahoo account daily - all spam.

Most of the 'people' on the other end of the chatbox were real back in 1999 - and it was easy to find someone nearby - especially in Los Angeles.

I've no doubt he could have been chatting online and met someone. The reason I think it's a man is because of course, if it were a girl, he'd have met her during the day, and he'd be alive (what girl wants to meet at 3:40 am?). Someone met him late at night for a reason. He got into a car, was naive, and who knows where they ended up. Even if he died by accident and no drugs were involved, the person might be unwilling to come forward due to his own closeted situation.

Of course, the other scenario is that he fell and died somewhere in the construction area. No - it was not covered up. He was simply not found and buried right away. This seems pretty unlikely, but you never know. The construction going on there at the time is probably the biggest problem to easily attributing it to a secret rendezvous.
JimmieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #114
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Haven't posted here in a while, but I've thought about Mike and remembered some things. Some LONG thoughts;

I've seen the mention of cell phones records. Back in 1999, hardly anyone had them. A few years before, pagers were all the rage, and that fad stuck around for quite a while. In late '99, I had a high paying job for an 18 year old, and even I didn't have a cell phone. I don't remember if I still had my pager then, but regardless, you get what I'm saying. Cell phones were just not common. It's very possible that he didn't have one.
I don't think he had a cell phone anyone knew about at least. Since he was an adult, he may have bought one himself, especially if he was hiding something. I am not sure that is the key part of the mystery though.

Quote:
I do remember sometime after the case went cold (could have been a year or a little less) there was a special on security at UCLA. The report centered around just how easy it would have been for some stranger to enter a dormitory. The camera captured students holding the door open for others out of courtesy, as well as a student knocking on a door and being let in. I want to say that keycards were used in that segment. Regardless, what I'm trying to say is, I believe it may have been easier for the strange 35 year old man to have enter the dorm than we originally believe.
It is still very easy to get into the dorms, however, at 4am, students would have found it very suspicious and hopefully would have said something. I question whether or not the sighting of this man is even real because it took 7 months for this to become known.

Quote:
Chatting with someone, and going to meet them outside does make sense, especially if the mysterious individual lived elsewhere. The potential suspect would have had to have been hooked up to a computer himself. There was no WiFi back then. No messaging capabilities on cell phones, even DSL and cable were a luxury back then. Data ports were quite rare too. You had a telephone cord hooked to your computer and there was nothing you could do about it.
The person he was meeting would have had to have lived on campus, or somewhere nearby as he did not take his shoes. I am pretty sure UCLA would have had data/Ethernet ports at that time. Maybe not 5-10 years prior.

Quote:
Now that I read there was a lot of construction, it seems plausible that something did happen to him. Maybe he walked out and was murdered around the dorm, then buried by the killer. Whomever did that though had to have known just where to take his body.
This could smell like the Wade Steffey case. He forgot his keys, couldn't get back in, so tried to gain access some other way. In Wade's case, he got into an electrical vault without a key and was electrocuted. In Michael's case, perhaps he had to get through a pit.

A student that lives in that area would have easily known where and how to get a body into the construction pit though.

Quote:
As far as an accident cover up, I could see that happening if there was a basement that used to be there, later removed, thus leaving a giant hole in the ground, not closed off. That would be a liability. But I cannot see a cover up taking place if he just fell dead on the grass somewhere. Regardless of why, who would have had the time to drag him away? A security guard would have called for help. An undocumented immigrant walking or working in the area would have ran in the other direction. My point is, if he died outside of a construction site, I just don't see the desire to cover it up.
A cover up would be because the University knew that the construction area was not safe or violated some code. This also would assume that the university knew that it was likely he was killed in the construction area. That is the only reason I believe this could be a cover up. I think that is unlikely. I think it is more of a botched investigation by the university.

Quote:
Until we know WHY he wanted to leave the security of his dorm at 4:30 in the morning, there will never be a solid lead. Just where on Earth was he going?!!?

Sorry for the long post.
I find it so hard to believe that a UCLA student would be involved in an abduction and/or murder... but aside from an accident, that is really all I can think.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #115
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys
Could the scent trail have come from someone dragging his body away?
Yes, but this would have been so risky. It would have taken forever (uphill and far), it would have been loud in the dead of night, and although the path zig-zagged through a wooded area, it would have passed by dorms where someone would have been at least a little suspicious.

Apparently the dogs are not incredibly reliable. If this path was indeed Michael's it could have been an abduction path or body... or he was up to something nobody knows about previously.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #116
nolostbruins
Occasional Poster

I've been really thinking about this Michael Negrete case a lot because a few things don't make sense at all. Here are a list of the suspicious circumstances. I'm quite convinced that Michael Negrete knew who killed him or was introduced to that person and then got into a car. The second most likely thing to happen is a UCLA student murdered Michael Negrete in the dorms then covered it up and disposed of the body.

I. The Computer
a. What kind of computer forensic investigative work was done if ever on Michael Negrete's computer?
b. Is this computer in the LAPD evidence room(s)?
c. what game was MN playing?
d. what logs are available from Michael Negrete's computer?

II. Zero claims that the camera in the hall shows Mike Negrete leaving willingly. I can't find this footage or any mention of it. Does this actually exist?

III. Strange old man is he real or fake?
a. Was this student trying to throw police off course?
b. SiberianKiss quotes a Daily Bruin article where a student came forward with the sketch almost immediately to UCLA PD but it looks like it may have been overlooked by UCPD investigators.
c. If the person in the sketch exists where and how did he find Michael Negrete?
d. What does a shiny grey jacket with a turquoise design look like? WTF is a turquoise design anyway isn't that a color? why call it shiny grey? If anyone can show me a pic of what kind of jacket this is I'd appreciate it. A sports jacket, a joggers warm up jacket?

IV. Was Michael Negrete used in the UCLA Cadaver Organ Scandal?
a. If so how did he become a target?
b. what if any medical or student databases was Negrete in that the UCLA organ peddlers could have found him in?

V. At 4 am most people are tired and going to sleep. What made Michael Negrete leave his dorm room when he most likely would have been very tired? Remember MN disappeared on the party night of UCLA's 10th week.
a. Socializing
b. Drugs
c. Romance
d. Food
e. Smoke a Cigarette
f. What kind of lure gets someone to choose leaving their dorm over sleep?
g. Did Michael see something from his Dorm room window that caused him to leave?

VI. Why does he leave his shoes keys wallet inside his dorm room and how did he plan to get back in without his keys?
a. What would cause him to involuntarily leave his ID and keys? Was he in a rush at 4 am and just forgot? doubtful
b. I find it highly unlikely that he was abducted from the dorms because this seems extremely risky for a predator
c. Then again I really think Michael didn't leave his dorm room at all because he chose to leave things he would need to get back in.
d. What would cause another student to kill someone in their dorm room? Would it be something Michael saw or did?
e. Did Michael go downstairs for a snack only to run into someone he knew and then leave with that person as connieallbright suggested? It does seem highly plausible that Michael Negrete ran into someone he knew or was introduced to someone by a trusted friend and things went wrong.
f. Did Michael leave with shoes/night shoe slippers? How many pairs did he have. I think this is a big deal and I'm not sure about the shoe situation. UCLABruin says he left with slippers.

VII. Was Michael Negrete involved in a Fraternity or other Society?
a. Was Michael Negrete rushing a fraternity and died of alcohol poisoning?

VIII. Besides one website claiming Damon Van Dam killed Michael Negrete what other evidence is there for this theory?
a. Did Damon Van Dam really know the Negrete family and Michael?

IX. Was Michael Negrete the first victim? Where there other missing people who vanished around LA under similar unknown circumstances?

X. How much did Michael Negrete really have to drink that night? What was his state of mind?
a. When Michael disappeared it was a Thursday on the 10th week of the quarter. Definitely a party night as UCLABruin stated.

There are many misleading clues about the Negrete case, but two logical events must have occurred.
1. Michael Negrete died in the dorms
2. Michael Negrete died outside of the dorms.

. Michael Negrete leaves keys id etc making it seem like where ever he went after congratulating his opponent in the video game he didn't plan to leave the dorm. However it seems highly unlikely that a UCLA student or group of students would have a motive for killing MN and then being able to dispose of a body. Unless Michael Negrete saw something or knew something that could seriously compromise those students career i.e academic cheating perhaps?

If #1 isn't the case then I think that it is extremely likely that Michael Negrete was introduced to his killer by a UCLA student and then got into the wrong person's car.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #117
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolostbruins
I'm quite convinced that Michael Negrete knew who killed him or was introduced to that person and then got into a car. The second most likely thing to happen is a UCLA student murdered Michael Negrete in the dorms then covered it up and disposed of the body.
I agree. And unfortunately, I do believe a student *could* have been involved.

Quote:
I. The Computer
a. What kind of computer forensic investigative work was done if ever on Michael Negrete's computer?
b. Is this computer in the LAPD evidence room(s)?
c. what game was MN playing?
d. what logs are available from Michael Negrete's computer?
It is infuriating that not much was mentioned. IIRC a Daily Bruin article mentioned that the system logged a "logout" event at 4:15 or 4:30. It is unclear if that was a logout from the game, or from Windows. And what "logout" means is also important. If he turned the computer off, he did not plan on returning for quite some time.

Quote:
II. Zero claims that the camera in the hall shows Mike Negrete leaving willingly. I can't find this footage or any mention of it. Does this actually exist?
A DB article published about a year after he disappeared (some time in 2000) claims the camera shows him leaving the lobby willingly. It was literally mentioned only once and may not actually exist. It mentioned the person matched the description, but were not positive it was Michael.

Quote:
III. Strange old man is he real or fake?
a. Was this student trying to throw police off course?
b. SiberianKiss quotes a Daily Bruin article where a student came forward with the sketch almost immediately to UCLA PD but it looks like it may have been overlooked by UCPD investigators.
c. If the person in the sketch exists where and how did he find Michael Negrete?
d. What does a shiny grey jacket with a turquoise design look like? WTF is a turquoise design anyway isn't that a color? why call it shiny grey? If anyone can show me a pic of what kind of jacket this is I'd appreciate it. A sports jacket, a joggers warm up jacket?
This is a serious misstep by UCPD. The other possibility is that they dismissed the claim as incredible or of no significance. This could also point that it was meant to throw off the police.

Quote:
IV. Was Michael Negrete used in the UCLA Cadaver Organ Scandal?
a. If so how did he become a target?
b. what if any medical or student databases was Negrete in that the UCLA organ peddlers could have found him in?
This is doubtful.

Quote:
V. At 4 am most people are tired and going to sleep. What made Michael Negrete leave his dorm room when he most likely would have been very tired? Remember MN disappeared on the party night of UCLA's 10th week.
a. Socializing
b. Drugs
c. Romance
d. Food
e. Smoke a Cigarette
g. Did Michael see something from his Dorm room window that caused him to leave?
This is the main thing that leads me to believe a student may be involved. My guess is either a videogame party or study session. I also feel like he trusted this student or the circumstances that would allow him back into the building. He would likely be going to another dorm on campus because of the next point.

Quote:
VI. Why does he leave his shoes keys wallet inside his dorm room and how did he plan to get back in without his keys?
a. What would cause him to involuntarily leave his ID and keys? Was he in a rush at 4 am and just forgot? doubtful
b. I find it highly unlikely that he was abducted from the dorms because this seems extremely risky for a predator
c. Then again I really think Michael didn't leave his dorm room at all because he chose to leave things he would need to get back in.
d. What would cause another student to kill someone in their dorm room? Would it be something Michael saw or did?
e. Did Michael go downstairs for a snack only to run into someone he knew and then leave with that person as connieallbright suggested? It does seem highly plausible that Michael Negrete ran into someone he knew or was introduced to someone by a trusted friend and things went wrong.
f. Did Michael leave with shoes/night shoe slippers? How many pairs did he have. I think this is a big deal and I'm not sure about the shoe situation. UCLABruin says he left with slippers.
This is weird but I think there are some explanations. 4:30am is close to sunrise, so it's possible he went to another dorm (or somewhere else close) and knew he would be staying until the morning (say, an all night LAN party, or all night study session). At which point he could either wake up his roommate, follow someone into the building, or get a spare key. I am unsure whether or not UCLA used key cards at that time. Other UCs were still using old-fashioned metal keys. Due to being tired or maybe drunk, he may have just forgotten his keys. Forgetting a key may not have been a big deal back then (I know it is now at UCLA).

The shoes he was wearing were like slip on shoes. Not slippers, but not shoes. They are the kind of shoes you would probably wear to go to the shower. These days, they would be "crocs".

It makes sense that he never left the building, but then where could he be? Someone would notice an odor. The only possibility in my mind is that he ended up in the dumpster and was immediately picked up the following morning (which would have only been about a few hours later). This is a possibility. I wonder if cadaver dogs searched the landfill.

Quote:
VII. Was Michael Negrete involved in a Fraternity or other Society?
a. Was Michael Negrete rushing a fraternity and died of alcohol poisoning?

VIII. Besides one website claiming Damon Van Dam killed Michael Negrete what other evidence is there for this theory?
a. Did Damon Van Dam really know the Negrete family and Michael?
No idea about a fraternity. If so, he would be finishing a pledge quarter (I guess), and not rushing since that is at the beginning of the quarter. If there was a night to party though, this would have been it.

DVD knew Michael's father in passing; they were not friends. I believe they worked at the same company for a period. They also lived in the same housing tract or neighborhood. The sketch of the strange man also has a striking similarity to him. DVD was also into video games which may have been a common connection. Any other connection that may have existed between the two we will probably never know.

Quote:
IX. Was Michael Negrete the first victim? Where there other missing people who vanished around LA under similar unknown circumstances?
In the past several years, there have been two other high profile missing persons cases at UCLA. The first was a student that had some kind of mental break and took a bus to Mexico (he was supposed to go to UCLA). He was located alive in TJ a few months later.

The other case was a student that ran away and committed suicide in Pacific Palisades.

Quote:
X. How much did Michael Negrete really have to drink that night? What was his state of mind?
a. When Michael disappeared it was a Thursday on the 10th week of the quarter. Definitely a party night as UCLABruin stated.
This, and the possibility he could have been drugged or using some other kind of drugs.

Quote:
There are many misleading clues about the Negrete case, but two logical events must have occurred.
1. Michael Negrete died in the dorms
2. Michael Negrete died outside of the dorms.

. Michael Negrete leaves keys id etc making it seem like where ever he went after congratulating his opponent in the video game he didn't plan to leave the dorm. However it seems highly unlikely that a UCLA student or group of students would have a motive for killing MN and then being able to dispose of a body. Unless Michael Negrete saw something or knew something that could seriously compromise those students career i.e academic cheating perhaps?

If #1 isn't the case then I think that it is extremely likely that Michael Negrete was introduced to his killer by a UCLA student and then got into the wrong person's car.
After all these years, I think the best place to start is to look at everyone that attended UCLA in 1999 and determine if any of them have been convicted or investigated in a violent, sexual or drug crime.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #118
nolostbruins
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I agree. And unfortunately, I do believe a student *could* have been involved.
If Michael Negrete didn't meet anyone online then he either met with a student, teacher, graduate student, was introduced to his killer, or even someone from the UCPD could have possibly been involved.

Quote:
It is infuriating that not much was mentioned. IIRC a Daily Bruin article mentioned that the system logged a "logout" event at 4:15 or 4:30. It is unclear if that was a logout from the game, or from Windows. And what "logout" means is also important. If he turned the computer off, he did not plan on returning for quite some time.
Michael Negrete was most likely running the windows 95, 98, or NT 4.0 operating system I imagine. I assume that the logout event most likely refers to when his computer logged out of the UCLA intranet, by being powered down. I doubt that the logout event refers to Michael Negrete's computer signing off of AIM, ICQ, a game etc because I don't believe those events would get logged. Maybe I'm wrong so if someone can add some more to this it would be appreciated.

Quote:
A DB article published about a year after he disappeared (some time in 2000) claims the camera shows him leaving the lobby willingly. It was literally mentioned only once and may not actually exist. It mentioned the person matched the description, but were not positive it was Michael.
I can't find this article on dailybruin.com does it exist?
The only reference to this supposed video is from the user Zero.

If you have observed this footage please let us know your thoughts on it.

Quote:
This is a serious misstep by UCPD. The other possibility is that they dismissed the claim as incredible or of no significance. This could also point that it was meant to throw off the police.
Is it possible that this "serious misstep" by UCPD was not a misstep, but perhaps someone from UCPD was involved? I'm not sure if this idea is easily dismissible.
I know that UCPD are a bit green so to speak but what kind of rookie dismisses that type of information? It seems very odd and almost bizarre to me, which is why I suggest that perhaps a person who was involved in Michael Negrete's disappearance was working on the UCPD team.

Also just to ask again because I haven't heard a reasonable explanation... What does a shiny grey jacket with a turquoise design look like? WTF is a turquoise design anyway isn't that a color? why call it shiny grey? If anyone can show me a pic of what kind of jacket this is I'd appreciate it. A sports jacket, a joggers warm up jacket?

Quote:
This is doubtful.
I agree, but I don't want to leave any stone unturned.
It is highly unlikely unless Michael Negrete was in a database that the cadaver thieves had access to.

Quote:
a. Socializing
b. Drugs
c. Romance
d. Food
e. Smoke a Cigarette
Quote:
This is the main thing that leads me to believe a student may be involved. My guess is either a videogame party or study session. I also feel like he trusted this student or the circumstances that would allow him back into the building. He would likely be going to another dorm on campus because of the next point.
I'm glad that point V. is convincing enough to lead you to believe another student may have been involved. I highly doubt that Michael Negrete met some random person online and that this person killed him because MN would have to be extremely naive or inebriated etc to do something like this. Everything about Michael Negrete that I've read tells me he had enough wits about him to not meet a stranger from the internet at 4 am in the morning! It seems so out of character. I also think it is too late at night for Michael Negrete to go to a video game party or study session. Furthermore if he did I think students would have let it be known to investigators. At 4am most parties are dying down unless it is an after hours spot. Put yourself in Michael Negrete's shoes and imagine it is 4 am 10th week on Thursday. Something causes you to leave your dorm when you should be tired. What is this? When you are tired and ready to sleep what makes you leave the dorms? Why didn't Michael Negrete go to sleep at 4 am??? It is either something Michael Negrete wanted, or someone had some type of lure / control where they could ask Michael Negrete to leave his dorm at 4 am knowing he would comply.

I think it is much more probable that Michael Negrete was asked by someone he knew/trusted to go somewhere to do something. Either that or he died in the dormitory and his body was quickly removed.

What causes one student to kill another student? Love, Money, Drugs, Information that Michael Negrete knew and someone wanted him silenced? The only type of information that I believe would cause a student to possibly kill another student is academic plagiarism cheating etc?
I also wonder if Michael Negrete went to do cocaine with someone and had a heart attack or an overdose on some other drug. Did Michael Negrete owe someone money? I don't think someone killed Michael Negrete over money, but this missing persons case is so bizarre.

Quote:
This is weird but I think there are some explanations. 4:30am is close to sunrise, so it's possible he went to another dorm (or somewhere else close) and knew he would be staying until the morning (say, an all night LAN party, or all night study session). At which point he could either wake up his roommate, follow someone into the building, or get a spare key. I am unsure whether or not UCLA used key cards at that time. Other UCs were still using old-fashioned metal keys. Due to being tired or maybe drunk, he may have just forgotten his keys. Forgetting a key may not have been a big deal back then (I know it is now at UCLA).
I don't know how common it is for people to get together at 4 am for a study session. I don't think it would be too efficient to study at 4 am with a group of people. I can see the all night lan party thing occurring but other students would have mentioned this and I believe Michael Negrete could have simply stayed in his dormitory to play a computer game over the intranet. Also Michael Negrete had just finished playing a computer game, and if he had gone to congratulate someone he must not have wanted to continue playing because he stopped to go over and congratulate the person rather than asking for a rematch. Maybe my line of thinking is incorrect I don't know.

Quote:
The shoes he was wearing were like slip on shoes. Not slippers, but not shoes. They are the kind of shoes you would probably wear to go to the shower. These days, they would be "crocs".
Would someone even wear those outside? I assume a pair of shower shoes wouldn't be worn outside. Regardless I think that because he didn't take his normal shoes he didn't intend to go somewhere far or stay awake much longer. He left his dorm to do something quick and didn't need to be out and about so he took shoes that he could put on quickly.

Quote:
It makes sense that he never left the building, but then where could he be? Someone would notice an odor. The only possibility in my mind is that he ended up in the dumpster and was immediately picked up the following morning (which would have only been about a few hours later). This is a possibility. I wonder if cadaver dogs searched the landfill.
If Michael Negrete was killed in the dorms this seems very likely.

Quote:
No idea about a fraternity. If so, he would be finishing a pledge quarter (I guess), and not rushing since that is at the beginning of the quarter. If there was a night to party though, this would have been it.
Do you think Michael Negete went to a late night party and overdosed? It seems plausible.

Quote:
DVD knew Michael's father in passing; they were not friends. I believe they worked at the same company for a period. They also lived in the same housing tract or neighborhood. The sketch of the strange man also has a striking similarity to him. DVD was also into video games which may have been a common connection. Any other connection that may have existed between the two we will probably never know.
good points.

Quote:
In the past several years, there have been two other high profile missing persons cases at UCLA. The first was a student that had some kind of mental break and took a bus to Mexico (he was supposed to go to UCLA). He was located alive in TJ a few months later.

The other case was a student that ran away and committed suicide in Pacific Palisades.

This, and the possibility he could have been drugged or using some other kind of drugs.
It doesn't seem like those are linked to the Michael Negrete missing persons case.

Quote:
After all these years, I think the best place to start is to look at everyone that attended UCLA in 1999 and determine if any of them have been convicted or investigated in a violent, sexual or drug crime.
I agree including teachers, UCPD, and any other staff who was working around Dykstra Hall at the time. Thank you for the well written response UCLABruin.
Hopefully these discussions lead to some results. I wonder if whoever is responsible for Michael Negrete's dissappearance knows about this forum and these posts? No Lost Bruins!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #119
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Michael Negrete was most likely running the windows 95, 98, or NT 4.0 operating system I imagine. I assume that the logout event most likely refers to when his computer logged out of the UCLA intranet, by being powered down. I doubt that the logout event refers to Michael Negrete's computer signing off of AIM, ICQ, a game etc because I don't believe those events would get logged. Maybe I'm wrong so if someone can add some more to this it would be appreciated.
Both of these services do log to files, but you need to know where to look.

Quote:
I can't find this article on dailybruin.com does it exist?
The only reference to this supposed video is from the user Zero.

If you have observed this footage please let us know your thoughts on it.
I thought you said there were "zero mentions of..." I misread. I will have to look for it again. It's been a while. The video footage was never made public.

Quote:
Also just to ask again because I haven't heard a reasonable explanation... What does a shiny grey jacket with a turquoise design look like? WTF is a turquoise design anyway isn't that a color? why call it shiny grey? If anyone can show me a pic of what kind of jacket this is I'd appreciate it. A sports jacket, a joggers warm up jacket?
That is my impression. That is like a jogging jacket that a coach or PE teacher might wear on a cold day. It would be shiny for visibility/reflection. For some reason, Puma (the brand) comes to mind. I Googled "shiny grey jacket turquoise design" on Google Images and did not come up with much except these two pictures which kind of matches the above:
http://theformula1shopandmore.com/pr...id_product=722
http://www.tauntonleisure.com/the-no...alt-grey/p8815

This is close to what I am thinking of (ANSI Class 3 Safety Windbreaker). Meant to be shiny for safety:
http://www.arizonacap.com/jackets.htm

Note that UCLA jackets also may have come in this color. Grey (perhaps shiny or not) with a turquoise design (sometimes the UCLA logo is printed in a light blue color).

Quote:
I'm glad that point V. is convincing enough to lead you to believe another student may have been involved. I highly doubt that Michael Negrete met some random person online and that this person killed him because MN would have to be extremely naive or inebriated etc to do something like this. Everything about Michael Negrete that I've read tells me he had enough wits about him to not meet a stranger from the internet at 4 am in the morning! It seems so out of character. I also think it is too late at night for Michael Negrete to go to a video game party or study session. Furthermore if he did I think students would have let it be known to investigators. At 4am most parties are dying down unless it is an after hours spot. Put yourself in Michael Negrete's shoes and imagine it is 4 am 10th week on Thursday. Something causes you to leave your dorm when you should be tired. What is this? When you are tired and ready to sleep what makes you leave the dorms? Why didn't Michael Negrete go to sleep at 4 am??? It is either something Michael Negrete wanted, or someone had some type of lure / control where they could ask Michael Negrete to leave his dorm at 4 am knowing he would comply.
I used to work for a video game company. These people would work 10-12 hours a day and stay up all night playing video games. It is definitely plausible that he could go to a video game party at 4am. However, this would be more likely if it was related to the friends or game he had just played earlier in the night. A study session is a stretch, but is plausible if it involved the same people he socialized with that night.

You bring up a huge point though. Someone would have known. They may not say anything though if they didn't know he was coming, or was not wanted there, or if this event also had other stuff involved (drugs, sex, etc.)

Quote:
I think it is much more probable that Michael Negrete was asked by someone he knew/trusted to go somewhere to do something. Either that or he died in the dormitory and his body was quickly removed.
I agree. I can't help but feel that this was someone he "kind of" knew, and trusted by association. In other words, I don't think this was a good friend or someone he knew all that well. Maybe a classmate, floormate, friend of a friend etc.

Quote:
What causes one student to kill another student? Love, Money, Drugs, Information that Michael Negrete knew and someone wanted him silenced? The only type of information that I believe would cause a student to possibly kill another student is academic plagiarism cheating etc?
I also wonder if Michael Negrete went to do cocaine with someone and had a heart attack or an overdose on some other drug. Did Michael Negrete owe someone money? I don't think someone killed Michael Negrete over money, but this missing persons case is so bizarre.
Beats me. One thing that is clear to me is that he most likely had some type of secret lifestyle.

Quote:
I don't know how common it is for people to get together at 4 am for a study session. I don't think it would be too efficient to study at 4 am with a group of people. I can see the all night lan party thing occurring but other students would have mentioned this and I believe Michael Negrete could have simply stayed in his dormitory to play a computer game over the intranet. Also Michael Negrete had just finished playing a computer game, and if he had gone to congratulate someone he must not have wanted to continue playing because he stopped to go over and congratulate the person rather than asking for a rematch. Maybe my line of thinking is incorrect I don't know.
For many of these gamer types, it is a way of life. He may have ended his game with his friend only to start another one with another person or group of people. Some of these people literally play all day/light long, and it is how they socialize and make friends with others.

Quote:
Would someone even wear those outside? I assume a pair of shower shoes wouldn't be worn outside. Regardless I think that because he didn't take his normal shoes he didn't intend to go somewhere far or stay awake much longer. He left his dorm to do something quick and didn't need to be out and about so he took shoes that he could put on quickly.
Personally, I would. This is California. We don't really think about it being cold outside. If I am correct and he was going to another dorm, his feet wouldn't have been exposed for that long. Something made him leave rather quickly. Putting on shoes doesn't take that long. Something as simple as "you HAVE to get here NOW because so and so is leaving soon and they want to meet you."

Quote:
Do you think Michael Negete went to a late night party and overdosed? It seems plausible.
I am rather straight laced I guess. I cannot imagine there is a party starting or really still going on at 4:30am, especially not in the dorms. Only a rave would, but I would imagine he would have worn more proper attire for that.

Quote:
It doesn't seem like those are linked to the Michael Negrete missing persons case.
Correct.

Quote:
I wonder if whoever is responsible for Michael Negrete's dissappearance knows about this forum and these posts?
What is eery is that someone went onto MN's Facebook group and claimed they know where he is. He was reading these posts as well as the ones from Websleuths. He was kicked from the group because there are people that do this stuff. I hope he was looked into though because he was very insistent.

This just seems so hard to believe. The only evidence that he left the building was a video that is only mentioned once and nobody has ever seen. It makes sense that he left the building, but the evidence points more towards never leaving the building. Then where the heck is he and how did he get carried out of the building? The garbage chute theory has actually occurred before, but that seems like the first thing they would check. The water tanks? I have always found it odd that the first floor of Dykstra Hall has been sealed off and nobody is allowed down there. Seems too obvious/ridiculous though.

Also, this guy just started posting on Reddit asking what everyone thinks happened. This is getting weird.

http://www.reddit.com/user/trewdat

Last edited by UCLABruin; 03-07-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #120
Zero
Forum Regular

I wanted to reply to a couple of things and then post a link to a video.

I previously mentioned a cell phone. Yes, Michael could very well have had one. I remember in 1999, companies were practically GIVING phones away if you signed up for a 2 year contract. I mentioned this because someone asked about searching for cell phone records. It's important to realize that this may not be possible. After all, in 1999, not everyone had cell phones like they do today.

What I said about someone having to be hard wired while chatting with Michael... if someone was indeed chatting with him (I may have missed that detail), this person could have only done so from a computer. It wasn't like someone was outside chatting with a cell phone, or in the parking lot with a laptop on WIFI. It had to have been a student on campus, or someone from a nearby house who could have gotten there quickly. I think the point I was trying to make with this is, this eliminates the possibility of some "stranger" messaging Mike from anywhere outside.

Yes, I did mention that I had seen a video of Michael leaving the dorm. It has occurred to me, since then, that what I saw was possibly a re-enactment from the show Million Dollar Mysteries. This was back in 2001 I believe, so it was a long time ago now. BUT, I have heard of the existence of this footage on a few different news reports. This much I know for sure!

Has there ever been any mention of what Michael said to the student he visited after logging off his computer? Supposedly he went across the hall, or down the hall (it was nearby I think) and spoke to someone for a few minutes. That was apparently the last sighting of him, but for the video captured on camera.

If he forgot his keys, wallet, etc. when he went to talk to this student, he would have knocked on the door when he tried to get back into the room, awakening his roommate. Unless he KNEW he was going elsewhere after talking to that kid. I wonder, was his roommate even in the room, or was he too elsewhere?

I'm starting to think that maybe Mike's scent that was tracked by the bloodhounds was not left that night. Maybe Mike caught a bus there days prior?

The baffling question remains... why did he leave the building, and where was he going? He lived on the sixth floor, so trying to find another way into his room (window) would have involved climbing the building. Were there all night security guards there that could have possibly helped him get back into his room?

Here is a recent video from KTLA's 10:00 news. Mike is again profiled on L.A.'s Most Wanted. I believe this is the second time now. His mother is interviewed and watching her make me really wish they could find out what happened to her son. It must be a nightmare being in this kind of limbo.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/1913951...d-ucla-student

Last edited by Zero; 04-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote