Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #76
marahnna
Frequent Poster

Wow... that's pretty surprising. I read everything I came across about Suzanne, and I never once saw anything that would indicate that her boyfriend was a suspect. It seemed as though he loved her very much. Granted, no one has any proof that he is the culprit, but the fact that he's trying to hide things certainly does not cast a good light on him. I really do hope this case is solved one day.
marahnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #77
Awsi Dooger

Is that SUNY Albany campus the same college where the New York Giants have their training camp? If so, I've visited several times the past few years while staying near Saratoga.

If so, I had no idea that college was the site of a couple of unsolved disappearances. It always seems so quiet and tranquil.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #78
marahnna
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
Is that SUNY Albany campus the same college where the New York Giants have their training camp? If so, I've visited several times the past few years while staying near Saratoga.

If so, I had no idea that college was the site of a couple of unsolved disappearances. It always seems so quiet and tranquil.
It is indeed the same campus where the Giants train. Unfortunately, any site can be the scene of a crime. Sometimes it's the seemingly most innocent of places that turns out to be the scene for something like this.

On another note, I checked out Richard Condon's "Darklight" website. It displays a message informing the visitor that it is a private domain, and has a link to a missing person's profile on Suzanne. Apparently he's tired of the publicity.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #79
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

I was reading about Brian in relation to missing college student Brian Shaffer (Columbus, Ohio) and thinking about how a grown man can go missing. It had to be someone he knew, right? Someone from the dorm or from a class, maybe even someone from his hometown. If you were his parents, wouldn't you just want to lock all his friends in a room until someone confessed?
connieallbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #80
marahnna
Frequent Poster

I know what you mean. Someone always knows something in cases like this. I can't fathom how that person can go through every day knowing the pain and confusion that the victim's family is going through and not step forward with what (s)he knows. I think if it were my child, I'd want to know, one way or the other. If he had been found deceased, it'd certainly be very sad, but at least his family could have a place to lay him to rest and visit him. This not knowing must be excruciating for them. It's just too bad that Unsolved Mysteries is not on anymore -- it brought a lot of publicity to missing persons cases.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #81
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Hello. I am a UCLA student and this case has really bothered me since I first heard about it when another incident in a dorm occurred. I am so glad that people are still discussing the case. I personally feel that press attention fell off too quickly after this disappearance. The University police's investigation worries me...they are not highly regarded as far as I am aware, and perhaps you remember UCLA was in the news last year about a student being tased by one of the officers prematurely.

I check up on Michael's case from time to time and this time I found this thread as well as another possible source. As a student familiar with the campus I want to respond to some comments made that may clear some things up (or not). Sorry it is so long, but I have 6 pages of posts to respond to

Quote:
I found it especially creepy when during the search some bloodhounds traced his scent to a nearby bus stop.
Quote:
I don't put too much into the bus stop scent thing...the bloodhounds weren't used until long after he disappeared and with so many people around the area every day walking that same route, you certainly can't say that he definitely took the bus anywhere or even walked that way. Or perhaps he took that route walking around before he disappeared. I just think it makes the case even more creepy though.
Quote:
buses run all night in LA, I dunno if they care about whether or not you wear shoes, I've never taken the bus before. i also don't know if they run at all hours in all areas. the bus stop where his scent was supposedly last picked up is a very nice area. People who live in that area don't take the bus, that's for damn sure. And I'm sure if he wanted to get on the bus voluntarily, he would find a bus stop closer to where his dorm was.
This is very creepy. Even though UCLA (and the part of LA it is in) is generally safe, I would not want to be walking by myself at that time of the morning. This part of the campus is very dark at night. The scent trail zig-zagged in a bizarre manner from Dykstra to the bus stop. The way he walked was uphill, and far. It would have taken him 15-30 mins to get to the bus stop. Although there is a bus stop there, I have never ever seen someone walk from the dorms to that bus stop. There is simply no reason to: it is uphill, it is not close, and there are at least three other bus stops that are closer, one almost directly outside of Dykstra. During the day, there is a street vendor selling "Star Maps" at the bus stop but that is pretty much it. This part of the campus is mainly just a back entrance and a jogging trail...nothing functional there. Directly across from this bus stop is the entrance to Bel Air. I think the bus stop is frequented by the housekeepers and nannies that commute from out of the area rather than students. Not many buses run at that time of night. If he did walk to that bus stop, it was because somebody told him to be there. I believe that somebody that was not a student dropped him off there and he staggered (drunk) back to his dorm on a different occasion. It is very possible that nobody saw anything. Although this is LA and Sunset Blvd. is a very major street, after 1 or 2 this part of LA is a ghost town and it is downright freaky.

Quote:
If he was hit by a car, there would have been screech marks, a body, and someone would have seen blood, etc.
Maybe, but there are screech marks all over this intersection. Blood would have easily stained and looked like oil, which is also all over this road. If he was hit by a car, I think the outcome was the body was hid.

Quote:
I don't think there's a camera and Zero is mistaken, I've done major searching on Negrete's Case and found nothing at all to indicate he was seen on some camera before he disappeared. Zero must be thinking about some other missing person. Negrete's family most certainly would've had this so called video camera sighting of Michael leaving his dorm posted on their website.
I do not think there was a camera in Dykstra Hall at that time. If there was, it was a decoy...or broken. UCLA Housing talks a lot about security, but that's all it is. In the brand new De Neve Plaza (which was under construction at the time of the disappearance and searched by police), there are decoy cameras in the lobby. There have still been numerous robberies and a couple of assaults...we have yet to see a picture of any of these suspects.

Quote:
There are security people posted at the entrance to the dorm, I would think, the key is to determine if Michael left the dorm or not.
There are now, but I don't think there were back then. I get the impression that this incident caused an increase in security, but happened a couple of years before I became a student.

Quote:
Was this on a Friday night?
No, a Thursday night (and early Friday morning). Thursday night is "the" party night at UCLA which makes this whole case even stranger. December 9, 1999 was Thursday of 10th week (the last week of classes before finals). More than one person must have seen something even at that hour.

Quote:
If the suspect got into the dorm through a lapse in security (an open door, another student letting the suspect in, faulty alarm system), I imagine UCLA kept it hush hush.
Quote:
I suspect the campus police screwed that up. I tend to believe the student alerted them about somebody who may have looked suspicious and they didn't take it seriously until the real cops did.
Yup, to both comments.

Quote:
now that I think about it, how ballsy would it be for somebody to abduct a student in a dorm filled with hundreds of young adults? Even around 4 AM when a lot of them are sleeping, there's still gonna be a few that are awake (especially on a weekend) and all it takes is one scream to wake up a bunch of people and find out what this struggle is all about. He must've gone out somewhere. Can you imagine somebody knocking him out some way and carrying him outta the dorm? Nah. I wonder where he went.
The abductor would be taking a huge chance since there would still be students around...somewhere. At 4am, there is most likely not an RA doing rounds. Their rounds end at 2am I believe. I also believe the access control staff also end their duties at 2am. Assuming the doors required a key for access after that point, somebody would have had to let this man in. He may have known that since it was a Thursday night it would be easier to wait for someone to let him in than it would be on other weeknights.

Quote:
I can't really make any sense out of that anti-Van Dam website - can someone provide a brief overview of this guy and why he would be involved in Michael's case?
The only reason I can think of that fits is:
he and Michael were involved in a sexual relationship and he came to the dorms (perhaps not for the first time) to see him or have some kind of confrontation. Michael could have let him in a side door or someone else could have let him in (if he looked young enough at this time) and something happened resulting in Michael being forced to leave without his keys, wallet or ID.
I am interested to know who is running that site. It has been stated that the Negretes and the Van Dams were hardly even acquaintances, however, that sounds familiar...during the Westerfield trial they made him out to be "just a neighbor" whereas some testimony suggests more. If you look at the testimony and articles about that case, it seems that the van Dam's have a very weird relationship to say the least, which makes me believe that your hypothesis about a sexual relationship is not stretching it.

Quote:
Another conflicting report is the friend he was playing computer games with. I've read that he was on the same floor as Mike but down the hall, on a different floor in the same dorm, and in a diferent dorm. Since Mike went to go talk to him afterwards, it changes everything if he left his dorm and went to another one if the friend lived elsewhere. I think the guy lived in his dorm though but it would be nice to know for sure.
A statement written by his mother on their website really suggests his friend lived on the same floor. She says something like he walks outside to congratulate his friend and then goes back to his room. If he were in another dorm, it would be quite a walk.

Quote:
Are there No cell phone records??????
This is very disturbing. There have been no mention of the records whatsoever.

Quote:
My gut tells me that Michael was murdered because he saw something he was not meant to see.
I think you're right. And if this has anything to do with the cadaver thing (I don't think it does), I think it is like you say. I think LE needs to take a closer look at DVD as well as possible sex offenders that target young men.

I am saddened that http://findmikenow.com is no longer functional. Felix.org is hosted on the same server so I am hoping it is a temporary server issue. Also, UCPD has removed the notice about the suspicious man in Dykstra Hall. From search results I found something from who I believe is Mary that believes he is dead, or was/is in a fugue or altered mental state.

Quote:
it would be great to get this out in the open again but nobody in that dorm room will have been in school since Michael Negrete disappeared, not even close.'
I feel that this case will be solved. The case needs to be brought to the media's attention again...I think that is the key.
UCLABruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #82
Zero
Forum Regular

Now that I've read about how far the actual bus stop was it seems very impractical that he would walk all that way after 4:00 am. I think whomever said he walked from there before is right. He could have taken that bus by mistake one night and had to walk far to get back to the dorm. Maybe he was dropped off there by someone prior to his disappearance. Maybe he jogged from that bus stop with a friend.

I don't understand how bloodhounds (I trust those dogs!) could have tracked his scent left who knows how long before he disappeared, but were unable to track a fresher scent? I remember hearing about the case and I believe bloodhounds were used within a week of his disappearing.

It just wouldn't seem rational for someone to agree to meet someone at a place if they were going to have to walk uphill for 15 to 30 minutes. Especially at 4:00 am. At seven or eight, OK, but not in the early morning.

The only way a person would make that walk at that hour is if they were going to meet with someone or do something that they didn't want anyone to see. I'm not implying that he was involved in anything shady, I'm just saying a person would have to have a really good reason for making those kind of moves that late at night.

If he did in fact make that walk, I don't think it was willingly. By the way, what is outside that exit that he used? Is there a parking lot nearby? Road across the street? Big field? I'm not familiar with UCLA so I'm trying to get an idea. Bruin said there were three other bus stops nearby but approx. how far are they?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #83
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

I can't give an exact estimate of the distance of the bus stops, but I can say the closest was 5 mins from his dorm if even that; a *downhill* walk. The map below shows the northwest portion of the UCLA campus. I am trying to get a copy of the 1999 map since this part of the campus looked drastically different back then. The red cars are bus stops. The yellow area did not exist back then. Dykstra Hall (I forgot to mark it) is within this yellow area. The blue path represents an approximate path from Dykstra to the bus stop (he zig-zagged when he walked so this path could be very off). I am also trying to find a copy of the 1999 bus timetables as well photos or maps of Dykstra Hall before part of it was demolished.

Unfortunately, I do not even know which exit he used or what may have been a possible route since the whole layout of the building was changed. Dykstra used to be connected to a dining hall and front desk area and I suspect he exited through one of those doors. My guess is that there was a parking lot there. Since the construction of DeNeve Plaza, the first floor of Dykstra Hall has been sealed off as a restricted area. Entry is only permitted through the second floor via a bridge from the DeNeve Plaza main building (which provides a new dining hall, and a single point of secure entry). The first floor entrance is only used to accomodate move in/out, but it may have been reopened since the parking structure opened.

If he did in fact take a bus, it would have to have been a line that only served that bus stop and not the others, but I think that scenario is unlikely. The bloodhounds came in rather late in the investigation, and I am a bit surprised that there were no other trails detected. What I do know is that I have jogged almost that exact path, so that is a conceivable scenario yielding the path (but not the zig-zag).
Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #84
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Just found this article on Michael:
http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/2146/

The shocking part of the article is reading that the L.A. County Sheriff's Department waited 6 months before sending out a questionnaire to all Dykstra Hall residents regarding the day of Michael's disappearance.

Also, the quotes from his mother are confusing. I'm sure they were taken out of context but they sound like she thinks he's alive.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #85
Zero
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieallbright
Just found this article on Michael:
http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/2146/

The shocking part of the article is reading that the L.A. County Sheriff's Department waited 6 months before sending out a questionnaire to all Dykstra Hall residents regarding the day of Michael's disappearance.

Also, the quotes from his mother are confusing. I'm sure they were taken out of context but they sound like she thinks he's alive.

I couldn't get that page to load but I think that she still believes he's alive. I also think I remember reading that she went to a psychic (this would now have to be at least 4 to 5 years ago) that told her he was around and even gave her some insight as to where he might be. OH, I read it on the website she had about him.

One thing that I've stated before as strange is that composite that came out of the mysterious man wandering around that night. It took a year for a student to come forward with that information. Why a year?

I do know that in an interview I saw a few years ago, there was one investigator working the case. Can't remember for sure, but he either worked in San Diego or Los Angeles.

I did email the mom and briefly mentioned that she could write the story about her son to UM (this was before RS died), and the show Missing. She replied with a simple thank you. I've never seen his story broadcasted on either. Missing isn't great when it comes to replies. I believe the last time I saw anything about his case was probably around '02 and that was on LA's Most Wanted on the local Fox news.

You think it's possible that his case was solved and that's why the site is no longer around? That's what happened with Jill Behrman. Once her remains were found, there were no more updates to the site. I mean, NONE. Her parents did thank the people involved, but that was on page from her university. Eventually the site just ceased to exist.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 AM   #86
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

Could be. There was a rumor on campus several years ago that he was found but the family was too embarrassed to say anything due to all of the media coverage. Now that the site is down as well as the alert from UCPD, there might be something to that, but I really do believe he is still missing. findmikenow.com and felix.org are both hosted on the same server. It sounds like whomever runs that server recently migrated it. I suspect that a technical problem shut the site down and perhaps Michael's family does not know.

I did not want to mention anything about a psychic, but this is what has sparked renewed suspicion in this case to me. Two psychics have had differing forecasts: both say he is alive, one places him in Arizona and another places him in the general vicinity of UCLA.

A third psychic, who recently just correctly described the abduction and murder of the recent female hiker that went missing with her dog (not to mention several, several other cases). It is eerie how correct he is in many instances. I question his description of the suspect, but he does see a location of Michael's remains, and I feel that he may be correct, however...

After seeing this, there are still too many unanswered questions. Assuming that this does yield some information, I asked him to do another analysis to see if he could see why this happened, and how the abduction happened (if that is what it was). His remote viewing of the suspect bothers me, which is why I asked him to do another one.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #87
Zero
Forum Regular

Hm....

This is very interesting. Keep me posted on what the guy says. You can PM me if you prefer.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #88
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
I couldn't get that page to load but I think that she still believes he's alive. I also think I remember reading that she went to a psychic (this would now have to be at least 4 to 5 years ago) that told her he was around and even gave her some insight as to where he might be. OH, I read it on the website she had about him.
Here is the article:
Anniversary of Negrete’s disappearance coming up
Investigation still hasn’t yielded answers as to student’s location
Linh Tat
Published: Thursday, December 7, 2000
UCPD Michael Negrete is still missing.

By Linh Tat
Daily Bruin Senior Staff

Police are not much closer to solving the case of a missing UCLA student now than they were one year ago.

Sunday marks the one-year anniversary of the day Michael Negrete, then a first-year student living in Dykstra Hall, disappeared.

“The first thing that went through my head was why did he go somewhere without telling me, and I was angry,” said Mary Negrete, Michael’s mother, by phone on Tuesday night.

“My first reaction was that I was annoyed with him and I was going to tell him off, but then he never came back,” she continued.

Michael was last accounted for around 4 a.m. Dec. 10, when he logged off a computer game he was playing with a friend down the hall. He was last seen wearing a blue plaid shirt and khaki shorts. He left behind his wallet and other personal belongings in his room.

His disappearance at first generated a large community search effort. Early in the investigation, bloodhounds from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department traced his scent from the dormitory to a bus stop on the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Bellagio Drive.

In June, detectives issued a questionnaire to all Dykstra Hall residents about the day Michael disappeared.

After months without a solid lead, detectives released a sketch in July of a man allegedly seen on Negrete’s floor the night he disappeared.

The man, who was reportedly wearing a gray jacket with a turquoise design, is described as white, 35 years old, 5 feet 7 inches, with a heavy build and no facial hair. Police are still looking for him.

According to Sgt. Joe Purcell of the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department homicide bureau, detectives came across the lead while reviewing the questionnaires, but the student who provided the information also came forward of his own accord. The student had also contacted university police shortly after Michael disappeared, Purcell said.

“He had tried to get the information to the appropriate sources within a week of Mike’s disappearance, but there was no action taken,” he said.

But UCPD detectives said they investigated the student’s lead.

“The information was reported differently and that information was followed up on,” said Terry Brown, a detective with UCPD.

For the Negrete family, slow developments in the case have tested their patience.

“Our lives are really disrupted by this, but we think we need to provide a pretty stable life for our other two boys,” Mary said.

“You would think that I would be more overprotective, but we’re just trying to maintain a pretty normal relationship with (the boys),” she said.

The family, which hired a private investigator early in the case, established a Michael Negrete Search Fund to help pay for the $100,000 reward offered for information leading directly to finding Michael.

“We are considering that if the money never gets used as reward money, the money may be donated to the two high schools Michael went to,” Mary said.

The Negrete family considered holding a concert to observe the anniversary of his disappearance, but decided against it.

“We thought we’d rather relax that day and not relive the whole thing again. The last thing I want to do is relive that day,” Mary said.

Though nearing the one-year mark of his disappearance, police maintain that they will never close the case but acknowledge the difficulty of finding leads now.

“Certainly the longer time elapses from the event to the investigation, the more difficult it becomes because you can’t recreate what happened originally,” Purcell said.

At the peak of the investigation, seven detectives were working on the case simultaneously. Now, police agencies like the UCPD may receive tips, but Purcell and his partner are leading the case.

“Of course I want the investigation to be ongoing until they find answers. I’m frustrated that they haven’t found any answers,” Mary said.

Michael’s story is scheduled to air on the show “Million Dollar Mysteries” on Fox next month.

His mother posted a note on a Web site devoted to finding him:

“Michael: We love you, we miss you terribly, and we think about you constantly. Our greatest wish is for you to contact us and let us know that you are all right. We will never give up looking for you.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact the L.A. Sheriff’s Department at (323) 890-5500. For more information about the case, go to www.findmikenow.com.

NEGRETE CASE TIMELINE A look at some of the key events in the search for Michael Negrete. Sunday marks the one year anniversary of his disappearence. DECEMBER 10

Michael Negrete was last accounted for at approximately 4 a.m. after logging off a computer game he had been playing with a floor mate.

Bloodhounds from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department trace his scent to a bus stop on the corner of Bellagio Drive and Sunset Boulevard.

At the peak of the investigation, seven detectives were working on the case simultaneously. This has been scaled down to one.

The family hires a private investigator.

An award of $5,000 is posted for information directly leading to his whereabouts.

JANUARY 6 Parents cancel their son's housing contract and remove his personal belongings from his room in Dykstra Hall. FEBRUARY Only one detective remains working on the case part-time.

Mary Negrete writes a chain letter via e-mail, asking for the public's assistance.

MARCH 25 Michael's birthday; family travels to San Bernardino to attend the Orange Show Speedway, where one competitor completes a parade lap with Michael's picture on the truck. APRIL The family increases reward money to $10,000. JUNE 5 The L.A. County Sheriff's Department issues a questionnaire to all Dykstra Hall residents regarding the day of Michael's disappearance. 6 Mary Negrete holds a rally at the Dykstra Hall patio.

More than $19,000 raised to date through the Michael Negrete Search Fund.

JULY 17 Detectives released a sketch of a man wanted for questioning. Original graphic by ADAM BROWN/Daily Bruin Web adaptation by MICHAEL PARKER
Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #89
UCLABruin
Occasional Poster

The last time his story was featured on the news was in 2004 on NBC. It was rather short, and just restated the facts of the case. Seemed random, but my guess is that it aired at that time because any that were Freshmen when Michael went missing were likely to have graduated, in case they were withholding information while they were in college.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #90
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

this is probably a naive question but can parents/police check to see if Michael's social security # is in use?

I mention this mainly because of a missing woman found in my area working at a Home Depot -- she had been missing for years and presumed dead. if only her parents could have known that she was safe all those years.