Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #61
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

This case happened close to me:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158639,00.html

Brandi Stahr, whose disappearance from Texas A&M in 1998 sent off a massive nationwide search and press explosion, has been found alive and working in Kentucky. She was apparently hiding from her family because of a poor grades.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/arc..._-_yahoo_news/

This case changed the way I looked at missing persons cases.
connieallbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #62
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Do any of you see a connection/similarities between Michael's case and missing Purdue student, Wade Steffey?

Everyone around here is already lumping Wade in with the other Midwestern River deaths.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #63
mistagee
Frequent Poster

No connection. Michael was killed by someone he knew
mistagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #64
Zero
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star8955
Some questions I've always been curious about--what were the details of the game he was playing? Was it a game where players could privately interact? Is it possible he met up with someone from the area who had also been playing?

He also could have left of his own accord due to depression. First year at a big school, and he is alone in his dorm playing video games until four in the morning. Was this on a Friday night? It's very easy to hide depression, especially if he was on his own for the first time. I think he could have taken his own life and wound up a John Doe somewhere....=(
I never heard details about what game it was. It was an online game. They had the time that he signed off. He did go talk to his friend for a few minutes after that apparently about this game.

If he were depressed and wanted to kill himself why not at least leave a note. From what I gather he had no problems with his parents and they had no problems with him.

Remember he left a party earlier that night before he stayed up until 4 am playing the game. It was at the end of the week to celebrate the end of the first term. The next week was finals and then Christmas break. I'm assuming that it was on a Friday night. Weekend, plus party, equals staying up really late. It would for me at least.

I have always found it suspicious that more or less a year after he disappeared, someone who had been previously interviewed by police disclosed the information about an older man lurking around the dorm that night. Apparently this "someone" was an aquaintance of Michael. Why wait so long?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #65
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Does anyone have access to the police records? Did Michael show any signs of stress? Was there any other unsolved murders in that area over the year?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #66
marahnna
Frequent Poster

I've just been browsing through this case. It's an interesting read. It reminds me of the case of Suzanne Lyall, a student from SUNY Albany who disappeared in 1998 and was never seen again. I first saw her missing person poster in the public safety office of my school when I was a freshman in college in 2001. It haunted me at the time, because I went to school only about fifteen minutes away, and my school was not in the safest of neighborhoods. That whole incident left me feeling very vulnerable, and even now, I still think of Suzanne now and then and hope for her family's sake that someday police will learn what really happened to her.

My gut tells me that Michael was murdered because he saw something he was not meant to see. People don't expect to see many other people at 4am. As such, their guards are down. Thus there are people wandering around who might not be taking the kind of precautions they would otherwise because they're not expecting to run into anybody, and there are also people sneaking around doing things they shouldn't be doing because no one is around to see them.

One of my late-night college rituals was laundry. I'd do the exact same thing Michael was doing -- I'd stay up half the night on the computer, then realize I didn't have any clean clothes. I'd throw on a pair of flip flops and head down to the basement. Maybe Michael went into the basement to do laundry, or throw something out in the dumpster, and while he was there, he witnessed something he was not meant to see -- perhaps a guy beating his girlfriend, or a drug deal, something of that nature. I get the strong feeling that he was killed to keep him quiet. I don't think it was planned, I don't think Michael was hunted down as an intended target. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. If he is deceased, the big question is where his remains are. That's my take, anyway.
marahnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #67
mistagee
Frequent Poster

My take is that Michael had been chatting with someone on the Internet and met them downstairs in front of his building since he didnt want them to know where he lived. He left willingly with the person and was then killed by them.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #68
marahnna
Frequent Poster

I don't think that's what happened, personally, but it's an interesting theory. I would think he'd have at least taken his keys or wallet or something -- maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I'd feel naked without those things. What led you to your theory?
marahnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #69
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

I think Michael was walking around the dorms, maybe hitting the vending machines for a late night snack. I think he saw someone he knew (either in the dorm or right outside) and took a walk or ride with them -- never to return for whatever reason.

It really makes sense that it was someone he knew.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #70
mistagee
Frequent Poster

I still think its a liasion with another male, or something where he was abused
Old 04-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #71
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Remember the Unsolved case where the couple went myseriously missing without a trace only to be found, months, later after their jeep was found in a irrigation pound? All kinds of speculation behind their disappearence (starting a new life together, killed by a stranger...) BUT in the end, the simpliest answer ended up being the truth.

I was thinking about this case in relation to missing Purdue student, Wade Steffey, who was found diseased in the basement of his dorm. People had been searching all over the county but he was found 50 feet from where he was last seen.

What do you think is the very simpliest answer to Michael's disappearence?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #72
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieallbright
Remember the Unsolved case where the couple went myseriously missing without a trace only to be found, months, later after their jeep was found in a irrigation pound? All kinds of speculation behind their disappearence (starting a new life together, killed by a stranger...) BUT in the end, the simpliest answer ended up being the truth.

I was thinking about this case in relation to missing Purdue student, Wade Steffey, who was found diseased in the basement of his dorm. People had been searching all over the county but he was found 50 feet from where he was last seen.

What do you think is the very simpliest answer to Michael's disappearence?

Hes stuck somewhere in the innards of the building, either the elevator shaft or the electrical closet, those college dorms have places that havent been cleaned in YEARS, trust me my dorm probably had a few bodies in it!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #73
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistagee
Hes stuck somewhere in the innards of the building, either the elevator shaft or the electrical closet, those college dorms have places that havent been cleaned in YEARS, trust me my dorm probably had a few bodies in it!
oh wow, i hadn't thought of the elavator shaft. wouldn't that be wild solution tothis case if it was found that he never actually left the building?

another 'simpliest solution' would be that he was struck by a car near that bus stop.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #74
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieallbright
oh wow, i hadn't thought of the elavator shaft. wouldn't that be wild solution tothis case if it was found that he never actually left the building?

another 'simpliest solution' would be that he was struck by a car near that bus stop.

Hmm, the scent of the bus stop maybe bogus, If he was hit by a car, there would have been screech marks, a body, and someone would have seen blood, etc. The roads arent that dead at night, that no one would have seen it. I wonder if they checked every inch of that building
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #75
ddelta
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marahnna
I've just been browsing through this case. It's an interesting read. It reminds me of the case of Suzanne Lyall, a student from SUNY Albany who disappeared in 1998 and was never seen again. I first saw her missing person poster in the public safety office of my school when I was a freshman in college in 2001. It haunted me at the time, because I went to school only about fifteen minutes away, and my school was not in the safest of neighborhoods. That whole incident left me feeling very vulnerable, and even now, I still think of Suzanne now and then and hope for her family's sake that someday police will learn what really happened to her.

I was a senior at SUNY ALbany when Suzanne disappeared and it freaked a lot of us out. Especailly since in 1982 another woman, Karen Wilson, disappeared after leaving a tanning salon in the middle of the day. I have kept up to date on Suzanne and while she has not been found if you go over to crimerant.com you will see that there are serious questions that her boyfriend at the time is not willing to answer. It's funny because up until 2007 everything i read mentioned her having a boyfriend, but never that hee was any type of suspect and if you read the articles on that site you will see he has been a suspect from the beginning.

She honestly had about 200 feet to walk from where the bus dropped her off to her dorm (a walk i took many times when i worked at that same mall). It was a well lit and well traveled area. I always could not figure out how someone could take a girl away from that area with no one seeing it. Especially since that bus dropped off a ton of people at SUNY Albany. I always believed she made it back to her dorm room or was coaxed over to a car by someone she knew.

So I have a feeling there might be other things we might not know about the NEgrete case.
ddelta is offline   Reply With Quote