Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #46
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

SiberianKiss, Mike's case really gets to me too. He seems like such a sweet, good natured kid. I cannot imagine his parent's heartache.

There just doesn't seem like there is any way that a grown man could be abducted from his dorm without someone seeing him. There has to be more to this case but it doesn't seem like there is one report out there that stands as the definitive/creditable account of Mike's disappearance.
connieallbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #47
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

I think this is what happened to Michael:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/26/amn....ap/index.html

A fugue state. Sounds far fetched but it does happen.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #48
Awsi Dooger

Very interesting story about that Dallas guy. Warranted more national attention.

But in terms of this case, I'm wondering if that fugue state doesn't inflict older people, more frequently than someone Michael's age? I'm not saying that I know, just a hunch based on other medical conditions, especially involving the mind, and which age groups are most vulnerable. Michael had just finished a challenging online game so obviously he was very alert at the time.

Also, the aspect of 4 AM leads me to believe it was likely foul play. A fugue state wouldn't prioritize in terms of time of day or night, but an abduction would, as we've seen in other cases.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #49
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
Very interesting story about that Dallas guy. Warranted more national attention.

But in terms of this case, I'm wondering if that fugue state doesn't inflict older people, more frequently than someone Michael's age? I'm not saying that I know, just a hunch based on other medical conditions, especially involving the mind, and which age groups are most vulnerable. Michael had just finished a challenging online game so obviously he was very alert at the time.

Also, the aspect of 4 AM leads me to believe it was likely foul play. A fugue state wouldn't prioritize in terms of time of day or night, but an abduction would, as we've seen in other cases.
There are a couple of other fugue state cases from Unsolved Mysteries involving guys near Michael's age - Tyler and the Canadian fellow. There is also a movie called Unknown White Male out on DVD -- probably what made me start thinking about the fugue state and Michael before the Dallas case.

The weirdest detail of the Dallas case was that this wasn't his first bout with amnesia.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #50
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

so where's his body if the fugue state thing turned out to be it? he would still suffer from a cruel fate if nobody ever saw him again. i suppose he could still be out there not knowing who he is. It's more likely he was abducted for whatever reason though.

the UCLA cadaver thing sounds more likely.
SiberianKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #51
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

You're right, a connection to the UCLA cadaver theft is more likely -- more horrific too.

So strange to choose such a risky target though. Not only would he be a tough 'grab' due to his location but he wasn't a small kid either. I don't know his specific height or weight but snatching a small, female victim would be much easier.

Maybe Michael saw something that night that he shouldn't have. Maybe something bad enough to send him racing out of his dorm without keys or wallet.

When I think back to my own college days, there were time when I would be awake at 3 or 4 (insomnia not studying). I remember staring out the windows at campus for long periods of time. I also remember feeling incredibly safe in my dorm - so safe, I would sometimes take trash downstairs or just go for a late night soda without mentioning it to anyone.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #52
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

I always felt safe in college too, dorms, or even when i lived in an apartment off-campus. just lots of students around but there were many times when i walked home and to other places late at night when nobody was around.....sooooo stupid. And this was in South Central LA. Back then I never paid any attention to missing people though.

now that I think about it, how ballsy would it be for somebody to abduct a student in a dorm filled with hundreds of young adults? Even around 4 AM when a lot of them are sleeping, there's still gonna be a few that are awake (especially on a weekend) and all it takes is one scream to wake up a bunch of people and find out what this struggle is all about. He must've gone out somewhere. Can you imagine somebody knocking him out some way and carrying him outta the dorm? Nah. I wonder where he went.
SiberianKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #53
Awsi Dooger

I felt completely safe at USC also, despite the locale. I guess at that age you don't worry. My first week out there I walked around the entire area, circling campus just to get a feel for the surroundings. The bad areas don't even stand out from that day. I just remember recognizing the museum in Exposition Park from a previous family vacation, and being blown away by the excess on 28th Street, the Row. Hell, a few months later I walked all the way to Olympic Auditorium to watch a big fight. Anyone who knows LA realizes how stupid that stroll was. Virtually every night I went to the Carl's Jr. or University Village at 1 or 2 AM, not much different from now in Las Vegas.

I never lived in the dorms since the housing priority was based on distance traveled so I was near the top of the list, coming from Florida.

I think I remember his family describing Michael as having muscular arms and shoulders in one of the online sites I visited a few weeks ago. That belies his size, and I guess it's natural for the family to describe the son as strong, but he probably was wiry muscular.

Look, it's hard to envision what could have happened. My friend Larry was strong as heck yet he was obviously abducted and murdered. I think he got in the car with someone he had no reason not to trust. Same thing could easily have happened with Michael that night. My hunch would be he went somewhere, perhaps willingly, as opposed to confronted inside the dorm. Once they have a gun pointed at you, or something similar, the dynamic changes in a split second.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #54
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I tend to think that Michael left the building. My reasoning for this is not as sound as the rest of yours, who obviously know a lot more about the case than I do, but for personal reasons.

In my college days, I was a Resident Advisor for two years; one year in a small, all female dorm, and one year in a large, co-ed dorm similar to Dykstra Hall at UCLA. As an RA, we were required to do "rounds" on each of the floors at certain times in the night. My college required rounds at 8pm, 10pm, 12am, and 2 am on weekends. I do not think that Michael could have gotten out of the dorm against his will due to the fact that SOMEONE would have seen SOMETHING.

Someone made an insomnia argument a number of posts up, and I tend to agree. As an RA, I dealt with several bouts of insomnia myself. It wasn't uncommon for me (a petite brunette) to be wandering around at 3, 4, 5, or even 6 o'clock in the morning. My dorm was IN NO WAY as large as UCLA's Dysktra Hall, but there was usually SOMEONE awake on each floor at that hour, not to mention a desk clerk on the ground floor that was in charge of answering the telephones. UCLA would almost certainly employ a lot of the same methods that my university chose to take (RA rounds, desk clerks, etc.) I find it very hard to believe that someone could slip out of the dorms at that time of night against their will without making some sort of scene.

I'm curious to know what Michael's major was. How hard were his upcoming tests? From my personal experience as an RA, we recieved special training in pre-finals anxiety. We also recieved depression and suicide counseling and were taught how to pick up the signs of this in one of our residents. From experience, I know that not everyone manifests the same symptoms and it is quire possible that Michael fell through the cracks. Despite this, however, I do tend to believe that Michael left the dorm, only to have something sinister happen to him after he left.

Has anyone considered the possibility that he may have been in a hurry to go gaming with his friends and chose not to take his keys and ID because he anticipated playing games until the dorms were open again? Did he leave the door to his room unlocked? (I had a ton of residents who would leave their doors unlocked-- they were the bane of my existence, but they did it nonetheless.)

As far as the "fugue state" argument goes, I would be curious to know if Michael had suffered a traumatic event in the days/weeks before he went missing. I have a degree in Psychology and I do think that a fugue state could entirely be possible if he was under an extreme amount of stress. This is why I want to know what his major was, how difficult it was, and how his grades were pre-disappearance. I think we definitely need to consider the possibility that he suffered a mental break.

Wow. I rambled. Sorry about that, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on my "observations."
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #55
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Fantastic to hear an RA's take on the situation. LooksLikeCRicci, what is your opinion about someone being able to get into the dorm without running into some kind of security.

There were a lot of times when someone's boyfriend would be let in through a side door.

It seems like almost everyone is in agreement that Michael must have left the dorms on his own - whether to see someone, in a fugue state, in a suicidal depression, or because he saw something going on outside.

I wonder about Michael's grade too. If he was accustomed to all A's in school, facing the possibility of a B- could have set him into a tailspin.

I also wonder about insomia. My roommate used to go for walks around campus when she couldn't sleep (why were we all so fearless in college?). It didn't matter how many timed she was warned by friends, she said she always felt safe on campus. As a guy, probably Michael felt even safer. If he took off around 4:30, he could have thought he'd go for a long walk before breakfast - he looked like a physically fit guy.

Awsi Dooger mentioned that his friend was abducted by someone he trusted. I wonder if Michael could have run into someone he knew with a car. That person could have offered him a lift or offered him breakfast off campus -- I'm sure I would have gotten into a car with a LOT of questionable people if they were offering to take me out for an off-campus breakfast.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #56
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I'm not sure about the setup that UCLA has in their dorm systems, but there were alarms equipped on all the doors in the dorms that I worked in. If a door was propped open for more than 3 seconds after 10pm, an alarm would go off and the desk clerk would then alert the RA's on call, who would then investigate. For the most part, I thought security was tight in the dorms WITH THAT OBVIOUS EXCEPTION. A lot can happen in 3 seconds.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #57
Awsi Dooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieallbright
Awsi Dooger mentioned that his friend was abducted by someone he trusted.
Well, we're not sure what happened. I detailed it in the Kathy Hobbs thread. The speculation is it was probably someone he trusted, especially since it happened at a tame part of the day, about 6 or 7 PM on a Sunday night. He needed a short 10 minute drive to the Palace Station, never showed up, and never was known to be alive again.

This thread has really opened my eyes to security in college dorms. I always stayed in university-owned apartments about two blocks off campus and I don't remember anything similar to what CRicci described, alarms and such. But come to think of it, in my brief visits to dorms when my friends lived in them, there were alarm systems, ones that seemed annoying at the time.

I wish I knew more about UCLA's campus and where that dorm is situated, but my only visits were for sporting events at Pauley Pavilion and their track and field venue.

As far as comfort level on campus, I never had the slightest concern. That was probably true of Michael or just about any guy. I worked at the student newspaper at center campus until 2 or 3 AM several days a week. One friend of mine had an odd habit of sitting on the back steps of Heritage Hall to contemplate, even late at night. One time I left the student newspaper office in the wee hours and toured campus in a bit of a tipsy state. I walked behind Heritage almost as a gag. But sure enough, my friend was sitting there in the darkness, completely motionless all by himself. It was so stunning I didn't even approach, thinking it would likely embarrass him to be found there at that hour.

I doubt Michael had a similar habit, or even if anyone would know about it if he did. But I always worry that authorities don't ask enough questions, as opposed to too many. It always strikes me when I watch a show like Hunter that they'll ask two or three questions of a witness, then say thanks and depart like it's all they need to know. Hell, even Columbo wasn't enough of a pest. Maybe that isn't real life but even the detectives who questioned me about Larry's disappearance didn't ask as many questions as I thought were proper, so I kept rambling and even sent long follow-up emails.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 AM   #58
Zero
Forum Regular

Mistagee, your opinion is interesting.

Up to now I haven't read anything contradicting the authorities conclusion that he was playing a game and signed off somewhere around 4:30 am. I'm not saying he wasn't chatting with someone he agreed to meet with outside the building that night. He just might have been. I read once that authorities did check his computer and couldn't find anything chat related that could have shed light on why he disappeared that night.

He could have met up with an older adult male that night. Or even a group of people in any age range. His family as well as other people believe that wherever he thought he was going, he didn't think he would be gone long. For a while they believe he left with nothing but the clothes on his back. Later after searching his room a pair of flip flops did turn up missing. He most likely wore those when he went to go visit his friend down the hall.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #59
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

If anyone is interested, there is a pretty active dialogue about Michael on the WebSleuths website:
http://websleuths.com

I've been posting a bunch of links to people out there in cyberspace with the last name Negrete who look like Michael - just trying to work through my own delusional belief that he might have walked away on his own.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #60
mistagee
Frequent Poster

None of those men are Michael. Why would he keep his name if he voluntarily disappeared?

I would think its fair to say that Michael is probably deceased. Although we are all hoping for a miracle, I would say he would have contacted his family by now if he could
mistagee is offline   Reply With Quote