Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > All Other Cases

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #31
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Hey mistagee, besides the physical resemblance to Damon Von Damn, is there ANY reason at all to connect him to the case?

I know Michael is mentioned on the unposted website but that site is clearly nonsense (most likely created by someone on Westerfield's side to rustle up some reasonable doubt).

Honestly, that sketch is pretty generic. It looks like eleven people I know. I'm not saying that it couldn't be Von Dam but I'm not seeing the connection.

It would be interesting to look at some event in the LA area at that time. Were there any other similar crimes? Anything odd going on at UCLA (besides the obvious organ/cadavar thieves)? Any attempted attacks on campus? What about elsewhere on the West Coast?

Anyone who watches Unsolved Mysteries will notice the number of young women abducted while jogging or riding their bikes. Or if you read about missing people in general, there is a pattern of people who go missing after minor car crashes. Michael's disappearance MAY be part of a much larger pattern.

If Michael was grabbed by a stranger, this person (or persons) knew what they were doing. It is likely that he wasn't their first victim.
connieallbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #32
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Connie:

I connected him more because he knew Michael and Michael wouldnt willingly go with someone he didnt know at that hour. I dont think this was a stranger abduction: simply put, young guys dont get abducted nearly as much when we compare them to female abductees. And, as I repeated before, what would that man be doing on Michael's floor at that hour???
I would think Michael would have been tired at 4am and wouldnt want to go "another round" with someone "off site" to play MORE video games. That makes no sense to me.

Could Michael's disappearance be a cover up? Did he drink alcohol or use drugs that night and die accidentally and have his body removed? Possibly.
If you think back to 1988, Robert Mayotte disappeared after playing with some friends...he was missing 15yrs when a friend admitted that they were playing with a gun and he shot himself accidentally and they buried his body and swore never to tell....They kept silent for 15 years. The school could have also covered something up, could you imagine a law suit for an accidental death??

In all probability, Michael was lured off campus. Either by Van Damm, or someone else. Was he a loner who took a walk at 4 am? Hmm, doubtful, and dangerous. I wish we had some of the police information so we could find out if he left the dorm. Otherwise, we cant know what happened. I hope they searched that dorm top to bottom and he wasnt stuffed in some heating vent or basement.

The flip flops, ID and no key makes me think that he was killed INSIDE the dorm......A student recently disappeared in NJ a year ago from his dorm under the same cirucmstances. They found him in a landfill a few weeks later. Could Michael have been 'thrown out?" or was he really "harvested" for organs??? It seems any one of these options could have happened. Someone on that dorm floor needs to speak up.
mistagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #33
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

i don't think it was somebody he knew.

based on the facts it's probably not a cover-up. he was playing video games with a friend in the dorm and when they were done, he went over to talk to him, and that was it, about 4:00 am. the suspicious guy was seen about 4:30.

i think it's fairly obvious he was walking around the dorm for whatever reason and something happened, he wasn't taken from his room, maybe it was on the way back from his friend's room. or to the bathroom or to anotehr friends room or to some vending machines. because he didn't bring anything with him, he wasn't leaving the dorm.

i wonder if the bloodhounds tracing his scent to that bus stop is real or not. it may be somebody else they smelled or possibly it was his scent from the day before he went missing or something. but that bus stop and his dorm aren't close to each other so it's very odd.
SiberianKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #34
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

How far is the bus stop? I never thought to look that up on the map. I just assumed it was very close to the dorm.

SiberianKiss - I think you're right. I think he was up, walking around the dorm when he was taken. I tend to think he was grabbed in the bathroom (they don't have bathrooms in their rooms, do they?). If there was a community bathroom on the floor, that would be the best place for someone to hide out, the best place to disable someone or dope them up.

If the suspect got into the dorm through a lapse in security (an open door, another student letting the suspect in, faulty alarm system), I imagine UCLA kept it hush hush.

This is an inane thought - there isn't any chance Michael was a sleep walker, is there? My brothers both sleepwalk and would go on odd quests in the middle of the night (my younger brother would go looking for logs or try to our cat).
Old 01-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #35
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Hmm...Anyone think that maybe Michael simply vanished on his own accord?
I personally think he met with foul play on his dorm floor, but find it curious how theyd get a disabled guy out of the dorm with no one seeing him. I cant believe they dont have security cameras on this dorms or at least outside.

Has anyone ever been arrested for crimes nearby? Perhaps someone in Jail may hold the clue we need.....

Michael's family hasnt posted any updates and the police have been quiet, it would be nice to launch this case into the spotlight again...anyone have an idea of how we could?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #36
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

it's hard to know the true facts in this case, there's not a lot of information and in some of the articles there is conflicting reports.

-at first there were seven detectives working this case. the obvious stuff was looked at, i'm sure they did a thorough job.

-the bus stop is not close, not at all, would've been a good walk over there. that just makes it even more mysterious though, if he ended up at that bus stop corner for whatever reason. and it's far away. WEIRD!

-i found this comment in an article from the Daily Bruin (student UCLA newspaper) He was last seen at 4 a.m. on the sixth floor of Dykstra Hall. Howell said there may be witnesses who saw a man matching his description walking out the front door around 4:35 a.m. Howell is one of the detectives working on the case.

-i found this comment in another Daily Bruin article. this is regarding the composite sketch of the person of interest seen on Mike's floor that night In June, detectives issued a questionnaire to all Dykstra Hall residents about the day Michael disappeared.

After months without a solid lead, detectives released a sketch in July of a man allegedly seen on Negrete's floor the night he disappeared.

The man, who was reportedly wearing a gray jacket with a turquoise design, is described as white, 35 years old, 5 feet 7 inches, with a heavy build and no facial hair. Police are still looking for him.

According to Sgt. Joe Purcell of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department homicide bureau, detectives came across the lead while reviewing the questionnaires, but the student who provided the information also came forward of his own accord. The student had also contacted university police shortly after Michael disappeared, Purcell said.

"He had tried to get the information to the appropriate sources within a week of Mike's disappearance, but there was no action taken," he said.

But UCPD detectives said they investigated the student's lead.

"The information was reported differently and that information was followed up on," said Terry Brown, a detective with UCPD.

-it probably would've been widely known if Michael was a sleepwalker.

-it would be great to get this out in the open again but nobody in that dorm room will have been in school since Michael Negrete disappeared, not even close. that's very unfortunate, you'd have to track down the students in that dorm. But you know those detectives questioned everybody a lot, especially those on his floor.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #37
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Good research SiberianKiss. It's hard to hear that a student had tried to get the information to police about the man (from the sketch) early in the investigation when people's memories were fresh.

I looked Dykstra Hall up online. It is co-ed with separate men and women's community bathrooms on every floor. If Michael was grabbed, it makes sense that he would have been nabbed while in (or in transit) to the restroom or the vending machines. There are also laundry facilities but I think the reports would have made mention of it if he was running a load of clothes.

I don't know about Dystra Hall but in my college dorm, you could wander around after 3 and not see another person OR run into a gaggle of girls making a snack run (girls tend to run in packs more than boys). My point is that it would have been a total crapshoot for someone to walk into the dorms at that time trolling for a victim. I have to believe that the person who is responsible for Michael's disappearance (if he didn't leave on his own) would have to have some working knowledge of the dorm.

I know the police withold one or details in every case to help them distinguish real leads from fake ones. I wish we knew more info about this case.

Long shot: if he did leave on his own, why do you think he would do this? If you can put yourself into his shoes for a minute, what would make you want to leave? Is there anything you can think of that would compell you to walk away from your life?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #38
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

I suspect the campus police screwed that up. I tend to believe the student alerted them about somebody who may have looked suspicious and they didn't take it seriously until the real cops did.

if he was abducted inside the dorm on his floor, you're probably right, Connieallbright, in that the kidnapper/murderer was known to Mike. If it's accurate that some students saw someone who looked like Mike leaving the front door at 4:30 AM, it probably was him.

it's real important to know what was left in his room. were his keys, wallet, and shoes missing? just his keys? just his wallet, keys left inside? shoes on or off? it shouldn't have been too difficult to know if he was barefootb or not, guys don't have a lot of shoes like girls do. i read conflicting reports on what was left inside. Also if he didn't bring his wallet, did he take his school ID outta his wallet and with him? If he left his keys and wallet (including school ID) in the dorm room, I can't think of any way he would leave on his own, how would he get back in the dorm? he would need to leave with a friend and come back with him at the same time. Another conflicting report is the friend he was playing computer games with. I've read that he was on the same floor as Mike but down the hall, on a different floor in the same dorm, and in a diferent dorm. Since Mike went to go talk to him afterwards, it changes everything if he left his dorm and went to another one if the friend lived elsewhere. I think the guy lived in his dorm though but it would be nice to know for sure.

you're right in that you have to consider everything, including him leaving on his own and wanting to disappear. i can't think of any reason on why he would wanna do that. i would never think of doing that, i love my family too much, not to mention i would have nothing. people who do choose to disappear, i wonder why they do, somebody who researches those types of missing person's cases would have a good answer. based on what we know about Michael Negrete, it sure seems unlikely. He was a good boy, good student, just the previous night he was making plans with his parents to come home for christmas, he had tuition paid for, he didn't take things one would expect if they were going away, no clothes, no nothing, no evidence of this, nothing on the computer showed he was making any travelling plans (police searched the computer thoroughly) it's an interesting question for those who do choose to start a new life somewhere, why they do it. I just don't see that here.

I wish I knew what happened. So sad for his family, if it were my brother the grieving combined with not knowing what happened would be unbearable, i really would be thinking of what happened every second of the day until I knew. The cops really were stumped on this one too, I don't think there were any real leads other than the supposed "person of interest." I suppose there is more about this mysterious person that the police haven't released yet. Maybe the student saw him doing something or the way this guy was acting. If nobody identifies this guy and nobody comes forward claiming to be him, there's really no reason to give everything away.

I can't come up with any good reasons as to why he would leave his room and dorm at 4:00 AM without any way of getting back in. I wonder if he was a smoker? Then again if he went outside to smoke, he would bring his ID card to get in right? Also if he was gonna leave for a longer period of time and planned on coming back in the day time when the doors would be open, okay fine but he would've locked his dorm room right? and he would've brought his wallet with him for a longer time out right?

this one's been on my mind the most lately. i'm dying to know what happens to missing people.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #39
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Another possibility, albeit a LONG shot (and the worst option of all) would be if Michael left the dorm that night with the intention of ending his life. I know this is a horrible thing to bring up but it is a possibility.

A friend of our family killed himself near the end of a semester. He wasn't failing but he wasn't flourishing. No one had any idea what was going on with him - he didn't act any differently.

I hate to think something like this could have happened to Michael.

I guess I was thinking of this option because of the Bryan Nisenfeld case.

Suicide doesn't seem likely to me - what do others think?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #40
mistagee
Frequent Poster

Any of the above are possible, some freak online said that Michael's desk was near a light source and the elements lined up in such a way that it would cause a nervous breakdown and that he had a massive memory loss and took off...something of that effect, but it was so bizarre i disregarded it.

I believe the suicide theory is very possible also, if he were going to kill himself he would still make plans to come home for Christmas.

I wonder how his grades were...maybe the first semester was too much for him and he simply lost it.

This theory could be true, 18 yr old guys are kinda hard to abduct...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #41
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistagee
Any of the above are possible, some freak online said that Michael's desk was near a light source and the elements lined up in such a way that it would cause a nervous breakdown and that he had a massive memory loss and took off...something of that effect, but it was so bizarre i disregarded it.
Where did you read the freaky memory loss theory? There are a few fugue state cases on Unsolved but they are few and far between.

I was wondering about his grades too. Everything I've read about Michael indicates that he was an excellent student - sometimes the first year of college is especially disheartening for students used to being #1 in high school. Was Michael in his class top ten? For a student used to all A's, getting a B could be devastating (something that might not set off red flags to investigators since it doesn't look bad to an outsider).

Siberiankiss, I think you're right about the importance of what was left in the room. If we knew if he DID leave his ID behind, it would mean that he was surely grabbed or left the building without any intention of coming back that night. IF he wasn't wearing shoes, then we can assume he was taken against his will and the scent trail to the bustop isn't important since you can't get on a bus without shoes (right? maybe you could that time of night).

Do buses run all night in LA?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #42
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

buses run all night in LA, I dunno if they care about whether or not you wear shoes, I've never taken the bus before. i also don't know if they run at all hours in all areas. the bus stop where his scent was supposedly last picked up is a very nice area. People who live in that area don't take the bus, that's for damn sure. And I'm sure if he wanted to get on the bus voluntarily, he would find a bus stop closer to where his dorm was.

well even if he wasn't planning on coming back soon, I would think it strange if he didn't bring his wallet and keys. if you're going somewhere for a while, don't you usually bring your purse/wallet, keys, etc? Yes. I'm pretty sure his belongings were left behind though, not sure about shoes. his roommate would probably be a good person to question, no doubt the police did that quite a bit. it's so weird because we don't even know if he was abducted either in the dorm or outside. i'd find out if he took the bus often or not, shouldn't have been too hard, his roommate and friends woulda known.

and yes it's possible he may have commited suicide, i never knew him so i can't say if that's something he would do and i can't discount it, only his family could say so or those closest to him. i do know, though, that if, for example, my brother went missing, it would not be of his own accord and it would not be because of him taking his own life. I know him inside and out and that those are not possible because there's no way in hell he'd even consider doing any of that. Negrete's immediate family probably knows this stuff do about their child.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #43
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianKiss
buses run all night in LA, I dunno if they care about whether or not you wear shoes, I've never taken the bus before. i also don't know if they run at all hours in all areas. the bus stop where his scent was supposedly last picked up is a very nice area. People who live in that area don't take the bus, that's for damn sure. And I'm sure if he wanted to get on the bus voluntarily, he would find a bus stop closer to where his dorm was.
How far is the bus stop from his dorm? I didn't know it wasn't close by.

The roommates seem like the people most able to untangle what happened to Michael. I know, back in college, it would have been nearly impossible to hide anything from my roommate.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #44
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

Just watched the documentary Unknown White Male. It reminded me a great deal of Michael's case as well as several of the amnesia stories featured on Unsolved.

Is there any chance Michael could have gone into a fugue state? Perhaps brought on by end of the term stress?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #45
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

i couldn't say exactly how far the bus stop is but it's not close, not really far away but not close. you can see for yourself if you look on a UCLA campus map. look for dykstra hall and then look for sunsent blvd and bellagio. i guess the corner where there is a bus stop is where his scent was tracked and then ended. there are a lot of things we don't know for sure here such as what his room was like when the roommate came back, did he wear shoes or not, what exactly he left behind, if it's true some students reported seeing him or someone who looks like him leaving the dorm at 4:30 AM, where the friend he was playing video games lives (either on his floor, in the same dorm but different floor, or another dorm...I've seen all three reported in different stories), and where exactly his scent ended, not just the vicinity. So it's very frustrating that we don't know those details. Not that we would be able to solve this mystery but it would help figure out if he was abducted or not or suffered some other crazy fate such as amnesia or if he took his own life or whatever.

yes they're all possibilities, there is really no clue at all except a sketch of somebody who MIGHT have had something to do with MN's disappearance and some bloodhounds tracing MN's scent to a bus stop which MIGHT be his at that time. And some students who MIGHT have seen someone who looks like MN leaving the dorm at about 4:30 in the morning. I wonder how confident they were that it was Mike. That would be huge news if it was him.

this is one of the most baffling missing person cases i can think of. i don't think it will ever be solved. a lot of detectives worked this case early on and no real leads came in other than the sketch of someone who looks like 1000 other guys on the street. Not very promising. If I could solve just one missing persons case, I might have to choose this one. I feel for his family a great deal. Aside from the grief, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking what happened even for a minute. It would eat away at me forever.