Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
hughpuppies
Melanie Bernhardt
Forum Regular

Question A few questions

I got a few questions about this show.

1. How did Cliff beable to stay until closing time every night and still beable to get up in the morning and able to go to work 6 days a week?

2. How come you never seen any of the regulars(not including Norm since he had a tab) pay for drinks? like Cliff, Paul, Phil, Old man with the hat.

3. This one has been brought by TVLand but no answer was given, TVLand asks how could the bar be run by only 5 people 6 days a week and yet they still have their regular days off. Wouldn't it be understaffed?

4. In the episode where Sam gets back at Carl, Cliff, Norm, and Woody for pulling a prank on him with Gary, how did they all get back to Boston if none of them had any money with them? Did they have someone wire them money?

5. When John hill announced that he was going to make Sam pay rent on the Pool room and restrooms, why didn't sam say I will charge your customers a fee for comming into my bar and then using the stairs to your restaurant?

6. When Diane got a call from her mother that her cat she had growing up died, wouldn't that cat be like 30 years old?

7. How come hardly anyone ever got sick specially with the rough cold winters Boston has?

8. If the workers at Cheers are always working wouldn't they be getting alot of overtime and Carla wouldn't be bitching about how little it pays?

9. When they show the front of the building there is steps and a door with a cover over the top of the door that hangs down over where did that lead too?

10. How come in some scenes you see the Indian by the door and other scens y9ou don't see it by the door?(not counting the time they got it fixed up)
Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Thumbs up

Excellent questions, sadly no answers to give you.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
MaydayMalonesGirl
ACID! POLICEHHHH!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughpuppies
3. This one has been brought by TVLand but no answer was given, TVLand asks how could the bar be run by only 5 people 6 days a week and yet they still have their regular days off. Wouldn't it be understaffed?
This really bothered me. I remember in the episode Everyone Imitates Art there was a scene where Diane was reading through a bunch of books trying to find Sam's poem, Carla was in Graceland, and Sam was just out someplace. Are we to assume that Woody was both tending bar and waiting tables alone?

Quote:
6. When Diane got a call from her mother that her cat she had growing up died, wouldn't that cat be like 30 years old?
Whenever I watch Let Me Count The Ways I try to figure out how old Diane would have to be for that to possible. I suppose it is possible... if Diane recieved the cat when she was about ten and it died when Diane was in her late-twenties then the cat would have lived into it's late teens, which is possible.
MaydayMalonesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Dr. John Becker
A Great American

No. 5 always bothered me as well! I remember when that episode first aired, my dad and I were watching it together and asked that question. lol
Old 09-29-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
McFly121
Forum Regular

1. How did Cliff able to stay until closing time every night and still be able to get up in the morning and go to work 6 days a week? Well, a lot us stay up til the wee smalls and are up for work at 6 or 7 the next day. Depends on who you are.

2. How come you never seen any of the regulars(not including Norm since he had a tab) pay for drinks? like Cliff, Paul, Phil, Old man with the hat. Not entirely true, occassionally they'll leave some money if it's related to a joke or moment in the script. Like Frasier only having big bills and finding the dead rat in Lilith's purse. Or when the customer has to shove in Carla's apron because she can't hold her tray from shaking. All depends on the moment, most of the time the cast is in the middle of their adventure that episode.

3. This one has been brought by TVLand but no answer was given, TVLand asks how could the bar be run by only 5 people 6 days a week and yet they still have their regular days off. Wouldn't it be understaffed? Totally. Cheers was painted as this little no-nothing tavern below street level, yet the place isn't packed, but has a great deal of people.

4. In the episode where Sam gets back at Carl, Cliff, Norm, and Woody for pulling a prank on him with Gary, how did they all get back to Boston if none of them had any money with them? Did they have someone wire them money? That entire episode is one implausibility after another. Lilith even mentions what city they're bused to. How did she know? It's never mentioned by the agents. Plus a payphone(??) on the side of the road. A call-box maybe. Silly stretch just for the sake of gags.

5. When John hill announced that he was going to make Sam pay rent on the Pool room and restrooms, why didn't sam say I will charge your customers a fee for coming into my bar and then using the stairs to your restaurant? Wasn't there something with a map or deed that didn't really show the stairs were Sam's, but that the bathrooms were an old Melville's storage room? I could be wrong.

6. When Diane got a call from her mother that her cat she had growing up died, wouldn't that cat be like 30 years old? A bit of a stretch, yes. Cats live long but even so...

7. How come hardly anyone ever got sick specially with the rough cold winters Boston has? I have relatives back east, they don't get sick much. You learn to dress for the weather, I guess.

8. If the workers at Cheers are always working wouldn't they be getting alot of overtime and Carla wouldn't be bitching about how little it pays? The thing with this is we never really know what day it is. Is Cheers really open Sundays? And are hours during the week limited and longer on Saturdays? But Sam seems to pay low anyway, so a lot of hours and they'd still be screwed.

9. When they show the front of the building there is steps and a door with a cover over the top of the door that hangs down over, where did that lead to? Yeah, no clue.

10. How come in some scenes you see the Indian by the door and other scens y9ou don't see it by the door?(not counting the time they got it fixed up) Set decorator screw up. No reason for the characters to move it.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:47 AM   #6
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I always assumed those stairs are the front entrance to Melvilles.

And, there was an episode once where Cliff had a bad cold.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

something else I've noticed: when they show the outside, on the left (the side on the corner) there's two, or four (I forget) tall, narrow windows. But then, when they show the inside, the left side (which is now the right) has one large window.
treky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
slackermonkey
the big yellow joint

Send a message via AIM to slackermonkey

Quote:
I got a few questions about this show.

1. How did Cliff beable to stay until closing time every night and still beable to get up in the morning and able to go to work 6 days a week?
Like McFly said, some people are able to handle that kind of sleep schedule.

Quote:
2. How come you never seen any of the regulars(not including Norm since he had a tab) pay for drinks? like Cliff, Paul, Phil, Old man with the hat.
Generally, you keep drinking until you're ready to leave, then pay the sum of what you've had, so you only pay once. Obviously they pay, but we never see this or have attention called to it because it's screentime wasted when it could be devoted to something that's actually integral to the main plot.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be four? Sam, Diane/Rebecca, Carla, Coach/Woody? Even better, I wonder how they got by before Diane was hired as a waitress. Sam didn't seem so desperate to hire her in the pilot, but when she went on her vacation with Frasier at the end of season 3, Sam was struggling to find someone to replace her.

In other words, I have no idea how to answer your question.

Quote:
4. In the episode where Sam gets back at Carl, Cliff, Norm, and Woody for pulling a prank on him with Gary, how did they all get back to Boston if none of them had any money with them? Did they have someone wire them money?
Once Sam revealed he did it at the end of the episode, I'm sure someone from the bar felt bad and went to pick them up. This one never really bothered me because it's not as if the next episode takes place the next day and everyone's suddenly back.

Quote:
5. When John hill announced that he was going to make Sam pay rent on the Pool room and restrooms, why didn't sam say I will charge your customers a fee for comming into my bar and then using the stairs to your restaurant?
Because according to the deed, the pool room and restrooms were still legally Melville's property. Since Sam does not own the stairs, he would have no leg to stand on.

Quote:
Some cats literally live to about 25 or so. It's not too inconceivable.

Quote:
7. How come hardly anyone ever got sick specially with the rough cold winters Boston has?
If these characters are all Boston natives or have lived there for a significant period of time, their bodies grow accustomed to the weather. Also, considering these characters rarely spend any time outside (other than Cliff on his mail route, who had a cold in at least one episode that I remember) I doubt they'd have enough exposure to get sick.

Quote:
8. If the workers at Cheers are always working wouldn't they be getting alot of overtime and Carla wouldn't be bitching about how little it pays?
We don't know that they're always working. For all we know, each episode takes place during the same days and same work hours. And I think there was an episode once where Woody or Carla complained and Sam said he couldn't afford to pay them overtime, so I doubt any of them are getting that.

Quote:
9. When they show the front of the building there is steps and a door with a cover over the top of the door that hangs down over where did that lead too?
The awning says Melville's, so maybe it's another entrance to the restaurant? A kitchen entrance? A VIP section? No idea.

Quote:
10. How come in some scenes you see the Indian by the door and other scens y9ou don't see it by the door?(not counting the time they got it fixed up)
The prop/set designer forgot to put it on the set during tape night.

TV on DVD Checklist:
05/09 - Scrubs: The Complete Third Season
05/30 - Joey: The Complete First Season
06/13 - Cheers: The Complete Eighth Season
06/13 - Frasier: The Complete Eighth Season
06/20 - Justice League: Season 2
07/25 - Animaniacs: Volume 1
10/?? - Scrubs: The Complete Fourth Season
12/06 - Animaniacs: Volume 2
slackermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote