Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > CHiPs

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #31
Mace Dolex

In that article there's a quote not to expect to see Erik Estrada in the film, but in the latest TV spot I saw him in there, Erik is in the movie maybe in a small cameo but he's there alright.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #32
king of comedy

I saw the trailer and you can count me out from seeing this movie. It looks like trash and those who twittered earlier are right. It looks that bad.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #33
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

CHiPs Star Michael Peña on Erik Estrada's Legacy and the Lack of Latino Movie Stars
by Darren Franich
March 23, 2017

You name it, Michael Peña’s been great in it: comedies, dramas, blockbuster cinematic universes, best picture nominees. This weekend, one of Hollywood’s greatest scene-stealers takes one of the lead roles in CHiPs, the hard-R action-comedy reboot of the beloved TV cop show.

Peña talked to EW about the legacy of the show’s original star and his future in the Marvel universe.

Were you a fan of the show growing up?

It used to be an event to just watch this force of nature, Erik Estrada, do his thing. As a Latin guy, it was amazing to see another Latin guy on television. There weren’t that many, especially back in the day. When there were, they were mainly bad guys, so it was cool to see a good cop as a Latino on television.

Did you get any lessons about playing Ponch from Estrada?

He did a cameo in our film. He showed up and lit up the set. If it had not been CHiPs, I think he would have been a star in any other TV show or movie.

Your costar Dax Shepard, who wrote and directed the movie, made it an R-rated action-comedy. What was it like pushing the franchise in such a different direction?

Dax really wanted to modernize it. He amped up some things. It’s more humor that I brought to Ponch. When you watch the series, it was a family drama. So now it’s almost like the nerds that watched CHiPs grew up and made themselves into Ponch. [Laughs]

Do you think Latino representation has gotten better since Estrada was starring in the original CHiPs?

You have to think of it in two ways. Me, Diego Luna with Star Wars, Gael García Bernal with Mozart in the Jungle, Jacob Vargas, Clifton Collins in Westworld, all those guys — we’re working actors now.

There’s a lot more of a Latin presence. But if you were to say how many Latin movie stars there are? I don’t think there’s many international movie stars like a Will Smith, Dwayne Johnson, or Tom Cruise.

Just in your own career, do you think the situation in Hollywood has evolved?

The first 10 years, in the break- downs for different scripts, they wouldn’t be open to other ethnicities until the 13th part. And it would be one scene, four lines. That’s the only thing I went out for.

All my roommates were going out and potentially starring in different movies. As a 19-year-old kid, it would be kind of disheartening.

You had a great role in Ant-Man. Are you coming back for the sequel?

I really don’t know. They haven’t quite picked up my option yet. I know that they’re filming the second one in July or something, and I have not been cleared yet.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/23/chip...n-movie-stars/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #34
Mace Dolex

I saw the movie, I wasn't expecting anything spectacular but it was average at best. Does it live up to the legacy of classic CHiPs, HA! don't make me laugh, the movie is a total 180 degree departure from the show, the only thing in common are the uniforms, the motorcycles and that it's set in Los Angeles.

I grew up with raunchy hard R-rated comedies and I don't mind them a bit but when you take a beloved show like CHiPs and gross it out for the modern market then you alienate the real fans of the show.

I would say for those that haven't seen it just go in with an open mind and ignore the fact that its called CHiPs and think of it as another cop show based movie.

Now would I want to see a sequel, yeah sure I don't mind, both Michael and Dax were likeable but seeing as it came in 6th place at the box office I don't see that happening.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #35
king of comedy

I'm not surprised it bombed. After I saw the trailer, forget it.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #36
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default CHIPS: A required entry for any "Worst of 2017" list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flm5d5ThAfo
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #37
TMC
Forum Celebrity

https://bombreport.com/yearly-breakdowns/2017-2/chips/

Quote:
Chips was released 2 years ago today.

In yet another case of dusting off a relic from the archives, this big screen version of the 1977 TV series likely alienated older fans of the show and offered nothing new to those unfamiliar with its source.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote