Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Stars from Fan-Favorite Series Reunite on It's a Wonderful Lifetime; HGTV's A Very Brady Contest
FXX Comedy Archer Gets 11th Season; TBS Sets Date for Comedy Game Show with The Good Place Star
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 AM   #1
jehobden

Default Brady Living Room Appears on Mannix

I've been watching a Me-TV rerun of Mannix now, "Who Is Sylvia?", and although the establishing exterior was of a different house, the show's opening scene was set in the Brady living room. Joe Mannix arrived at a party there from the front door, which still had the intercom box outside. and the same stairs brought the lady of the house down to the party. The sliding glass doors from the dining room were there too, but none of the Bradys' famous artwork. The previous episode had Mike Brady (Robert Reed as Lt. Adam Tobias) smoking! What would Mrs. Johnson (from "Where There's Smoke") say?

Last edited by jehobden; 04-09-2017 at 03:17 AM.
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #2
Alex Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
I've been watching a Me-TV rerun of Mannix now, "Who Is Sylvia?", and although the establishing exterior was of a different house, the show's opening scene was set in the Brady living room. Joe Mannix arrived at a party there from the front door, which still had the intercom box outside. and the same stairs brought the lady of the house down to the party. The sliding glass doors from the dining room were there too, but none of the Bradys' famous artwork. Thr previous episode had Mike Brady (Robert Reed as Lt. Adam Tobias) smoking! What would Mrs. Johnson (from "Where There's Smoke") say?
Oh my gosh; that is weird! Like you said, different decor, but it's so totally the Brady abode. BB episode "The Big Sprain" aired just the night before this Mannix episode, according to imdb. Yeah, they saved some money not having to construct a new set, but did they think viewers of the time would not notice, or was it a fun in-joke? Surely there had to be some people who watched both shows.
Alex Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
I've been watching a Me-TV rerun of Mannix now, "Who Is Sylvia?", and although the establishing exterior was of a different house, the show's opening scene was set in the Brady living room. Joe Mannix arrived at a party there from the front door, which still had the intercom box outside. and the same stairs brought the lady of the house down to the party. The sliding glass doors from the dining room were there too, but none of the Bradys' famous artwork. Thr previous episode had Mike Brady (Robert Reed as Lt. Adam Tobias) smoking! What would Mrs. Johnson (from "Where There's Smoke") say?

Because I have never watched Mannix I do not really know the situation. However, I find your ideas to be very interesting. I like the Mrs. Johnson character and I find what you wrote about her to be very amusing!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:53 AM   #4
bellczar
Frequent Poster

Are you sure Reed was really smoking in that "Mannix" ep? I'm currently viewing the first season of "The Defenders," and whenever Reed's character (Kenneth Preston) is seen with a cigarette, he's not really smoking it.

To see a fuller portrayal of the Brady house, see the horribly stupid movie "Bug."
bellczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #5
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellczar
Are you sure Reed was really smoking in that "Mannix" ep? I'm currently viewing the first season of "The Defenders," and whenever Reed's character (Kenneth Preston) is seen with a cigarette, he's not really smoking it.

To see a fuller portrayal of the Brady house, see the horribly stupid movie "Bug."
He had a burning cigarette in his hand. As to whether or not he ever actually put it to his lips & inhaled, I don't recall.

Here are pics from that Mannix episode from a great Brady blog:
http://verybradyblog.blogspot.com/20...pisode-68.html
Old 04-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
yayaya
Forum Regular

I used to watch Mannix back during its original run. I thoroughly remember watching that particular episode and realizing right away it was the set of the Brady home. Being a viewer of The BB, it was hard to not notice the interior since it was shown in almost every episode of the show. It is so recognizable.

FYI if anyone ever watches the movie Mommie Dearest take note of the kitchen during the soap opera scene. You will notice the Happy Days kitchen set is used.

The show Two and a Half Men had a set that was far too similar to the set used on Laverne & Shirley during the California episodes. At least the layout was exactly the same.
yayaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
RetroTVNitekatt

The set also turned up on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and even earlier, the FAMILY AFFAIR (Federson leased space from Desilu/Paramount) set turned up several times as well.

It saves on the budget when you can use a redress of a standing set.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
omg65
Forum Regular

Nice find. I really never watched Mannix so I never knew about this.
omg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
RetroTVNitekatt

It's not that hard to take an existing set and add different prop pieces, drapes,furniture, perhaps a fake wall and/or door.

On of the The Brady Living Room set MISSION:IMPOSSBLE shots - they put up fake walls to cover the stairs,kitchen, the wall with the blinds to Mike's Den and added some set pieces. The give-a-way is the front door and sliding glass window.
RetroTVNitekatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
jehobden

The Brady living room came back for at least 1 more appearance on the series finale of Mannix. "Hardball" originally aired Apr. 13, 1975, and it had a great cast, including William Windom, Jim Hampton, and John Ritter.

Windom plays the leader of a gang of drug dealers, with Hampton a cowardly member of his gang, and Ritter plays a young man in love with Windom's character's daughter, who doesn't believe that her dad's a crook. Ritter's character double-crosses the gang & tries to take the $ from the latest deal, which he wants to share with his girlfriend. The living room of the house where she & her dad live is the Brady living room (more than a year after the last Brady episode aired), though the woman's bedroom is not the Brady girls' bedroom.

For another Brady tie-in, the gang takes hostages from a court buliding, lncluding a young woman played by Tina Andrews, who played 1 of Marcia's friends in "Getting Davy Jones". I looked up Ms. Andrews' bio on IMDB, and she was born in 1951, 5 years before Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia. I guess she looked young enough to be a Jr. High student at the time, and it helped that she was already over 18 by the time her Brady episode was filmed and allowed the producers to avoid child labor laws in her case.