Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Maude links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Maude Photo Gallery

Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony) DVD
Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) DVD
Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Series on DVD
(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Maude

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
hunt577
Occasional Poster

Default Just starting watching this

All I can say is Wow! I have been a huge fan of The Golden Girls and Bea Arthur since I was young. I had never seen a full Maude episode because it wasn't rerunning on any of my TV channels nor was it out on DVD. I saw some clips on youtube over the years but it wasn't enough for me to know if I would like the show. I've just begun watching Season 1 and am getting towards mid Season 1 and absolutely love it! Rue McClanahan being part of this series is an extra treat. It feels a little like Golden Girls before Golden Girls!! It took me aback a little at first seeing Rue playing more of a ditzy character than the Blanche character that she plays on Golden Girls, but she is great in her part as well. Bea and Rue have that same on air chemistry than they did in Golden Girls. This is really a must see for any Golden Girls or Maude fans. I believe there are a lot of people out there like me that are not as aware of this Bea Arthur gem before Golden Girls. I think this show is getting more interest now that the full series is on DVD and not obscure channels that many may or may not get. The LOGO channel should pick this show up ASAP.

I also am still scratching my head a bit about the talk of how this show was that controversial and serious? I am only in Season 1 so maybe that heats up later. The abortion episode definitely was ground breaking, but outside of that this show is pure comedy and laughter. Golden Girls also touched on serious issues. I don't really see the fuss in why this should be an issue. What better way to bring an issue to the surface than doing so through comedy? Shows like this had more guts than sitcoms of today that probably wouldn't dare touch the abortion issue. I'm really enjoying it and this show is highly underrated if you ask me!
hunt577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Kasey

Actually the first couple of seasons are the most issues-oriented. To a young person like yourself it probably seems tame now. Don't expect them to go into more depth with issues as you get into the middle and later seasons. The issues are phased out for the most part and it's pure comedy gold until the last season where it starts to look slightly tired but still good.

Top 10 Shows I Want Completed on DVD: It's a Living, The Donna Reed Show, Phyllis, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Murphy Brown, The Hogan Family, Julia, 227, Delta
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
um
Forum Regular

There seems to be a big difference between the viewpoints and perspectives of people who are old enough to have first seen Maude ( and other TV shows) when they first premiered in the 70s and people who have been born in recent decades and are watching the shows for the first time on You Tube or on DVDs.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt577
All I can say is Wow! I have been a huge fan of The Golden Girls and Bea Arthur since I was young. I had never seen a full Maude episode because it wasn't rerunning on any of my TV channels nor was it out on DVD. I saw some clips on youtube over the years but it wasn't enough for me to know if I would like the show. I've just begun watching Season 1 and am getting towards mid Season 1 and absolutely love it! Rue McClanahan being part of this series is an extra treat. It feels a little like Golden Girls before Golden Girls!! It took me aback a little at first seeing Rue playing more of a ditzy character than the Blanche character that she plays on Golden Girls, but she is great in her part as well. Bea and Rue have that same on air chemistry than they did in Golden Girls. This is really a must see for any Golden Girls or Maude fans. I believe there are a lot of people out there like me that are not as aware of this Bea Arthur gem before Golden Girls. I think this show is getting more interest now that the full series is on DVD and not obscure channels that many may or may not get. The LOGO channel should pick this show up ASAP.

I also am still scratching my head a bit about the talk of how this show was that controversial and serious? I am only in Season 1 so maybe that heats up later. The abortion episode definitely was ground breaking, but outside of that this show is pure comedy and laughter. Golden Girls also touched on serious issues. I don't really see the fuss in why this should be an issue. What better way to bring an issue to the surface than doing so through comedy? Shows like this had more guts than sitcoms of today that probably wouldn't dare touch the abortion issue. I'm really enjoying it and this show is highly underrated if you ask me!

Maybe controversial but definitely not serious because of the funny characters like Maude, Florida, Walter, and Walter's friend

Now a show that was serious was "One Day at a Time"
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I am seeing this show again for the first time since the show first aired. As I remember when I first saw the show the actors/characters were always hollering. Can't wait to see the episode where there is a party of some sort and a man brings his elderly relative who is 90 something. I think was Aunt Polly. I remember that episode as so funny.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote