Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Maude links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Maude Photo Gallery

Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony) DVD
Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) DVD
Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Series on DVD
(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Maude

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane
WarnerMedia Announces HBO Max for 2020 with Friends, Fresh Prince & More; IMDb Gets First Scripted Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default If the guy who played Pinkey was Archie's friend on All in the Family, why did he

appear on a episode of Maude while both shows were still on the air? I mean did his friendship with Archie end? Just seems strange that fans of AITF who watched both shows on CBS back in the 70's would see Pinkey playing on another sitcom.

Rue McClahnahan and Billy Macy appeared on All in the Family too but it was before Maude premiered on CBS
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
venusx
Frequent Poster

Norman Lear sitcoms used a lot of the same character actors, it wasn't unusual at all and presumably they figured that people would understand that using the same actors doesn't mean same character. The minister that "re"married Walter and Maude was played by the same actor who was the Jefferson's neighbor. The actress that played Carol on AITF played one of Walter's employees later. The actor who played Stretch Cunningham on AITF played Mrs Naugatuck's "nephew" Alfie AND the obscene phone caller. The actor that played the cop that Maude tried to get busted for pot by also played the gay bar bartender. The actor that played the singer at the Italian restaurant when Maude and Walter celebrate their anniversary also played the Bill and Joe's funeral home employee. Vivian's ex husband first appeared in the first ep as Carol's psychologist. And I know there are way more instances! Right now thanks to syndication you may see eps with these actors days/weeks apart but people watching the 70s would have had years and years pass between most of these repeats so it wouldn't have been as obvious...
venusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusx
Norman Lear sitcoms used a lot of the same character actors, it wasn't unusual at all and presumably they figured that people would understand that using the same actors doesn't mean same character. The minister that "re"married Walter and Maude was played by the same actor who was the Jefferson's neighbor. The actress that played Carol on AITF played one of Walter's employees later. The actor who played Stretch Cunningham on AITF played Mrs Naugatuck's "nephew" Alfie AND the obscene phone caller. The actor that played the cop that Maude tried to get busted for pot by also played the gay bar bartender. The actor that played the singer at the Italian restaurant when Maude and Walter celebrate their anniversary also played the Bill and Joe's funeral home employee. Vivian's ex husband first appeared in the first ep as Carol's psychologist. And I know there are way more instances! Right now thanks to syndication you may see eps with these actors days/weeks apart but people watching the 70s would have had years and years pass between most of these repeats so it wouldn't have been as obvious...

The guy who played the Jeffersons Neighbor starred on Maude 2 weeks before the Jeffersons premiered on CBS not while the show was on the air.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
venusx
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
The guy who played the Jeffersons Neighbor starred on Maude 2 weeks before the Jeffersons premiered on CBS not while the show was on the air.
I don't see how that contradicts my point that Norman Lear shows relied on a pool of character actors to play multiple roles so it wasn't unusual to see one actor in different roles, on different shows or the same show. Whether he was on Maude first or last wasn't my point...
venusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
WalterTheDrinker
Frequent Poster

Old shows reused actors all the time, and not just across related shows. Maude itself reused actors for different roles. You know the reverend who comes over to get Walter to quit drinking? He's also the police sergeant in the episode about weed.

Older shows like I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners reused actors constantly.
WalterTheDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

[QUOTE=WalterTheDrinker]Old shows reused actors all the time, and not just across related shows. Maude itself reused actors for different roles. You know the reverend who comes over to get Walter to quit drinking? He's also the police sergeant in the episode about weed.

Older shows like I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners reused actors constantly.[/QUOTE

He was so known as pinkey on AITF so it looked funny seeing him on Maude as someone else
Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Nickolas086
Frequent Poster

Star Trek series, Murder She Wrote, and the Law & Order series were all known to have the same supporting actors to play different character roles throughout the years.
Nickolas086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 AM   #8
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

and Marcia Rodd who played Maudes daughter Carol in the AITF episode where Archie and Edith go to Maudes house also played a woman who claimed that Mike was her sons father on another AITF episode.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote