Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 22, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #16
Yong Fang

Yes, I did watch Soaps when I was in college (Days of Our Lives) and again, a lot of the actors who do Soaps are people who are getting their start in the business or people who have been on them for a very long time, who are set in the role and not really looking to expand their career and make enough money and have (or had) enough of a fan base that it doesnt matter that much.

I do not dislike soaps and am a bit sad that the genre is dying off and hopefully will make a comeback. But it is minor league to prime time programming.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
SitcomsOffline
Forum Regular

Shelley Long.
SitcomsOffline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
Yes, I did watch Soaps when I was in college (Days of Our Lives) and again, a lot of the actors who do Soaps are people who are getting their start in the business or people who have been on them for a very long time, who are set in the role and not really looking to expand their career and make enough money and have (or had) enough of a fan base that it doesnt matter that much.

I do not dislike soaps and am a bit sad that the genre is dying off and hopefully will make a comeback. But it is minor league to prime time programming.
I've always thought of soaps as a reality show in a fake world. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of "Days of our Lives" and watch it everyday.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
installLSC
Frequent Poster

Lauren Tewes (aka Julie McCoy) claimed in a 2006 interview that the reason she did so little work after the "Love Boat" was that casting directors blackballed her. She said she'd run into old casting directors and they'd say stuff like "I couldn't hire you. The word was out."
installLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #20
TMC
Forum Celebrity

*Dana Plato pretty much got herself blackbailed from mainstream Hollywood after she got fired from Diff'rent Strokes do to her pregnancy. Her substance abuse issues most certantly, didn't help matters. But her pregnancy (Dana I think was still a teenager at the time and unmarried) and subsequent firing, for all intents and purposes, killed her image as a child actor. What didn't help was that Dana's character on DS was a predominate "good girl".

*Lisa Bonet hardly got any more major, high profile roles after she was fired from The Cosby Show. Now obviously, with the latest negative news surrounding Bill Cosby, it does add a whole new, more interesting perspective towards why Lisa and Bill had a failing out.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #21
FuriosityShell
FuriosityShell
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
*Dana Plato pretty much got herself blackbailed from mainstream Hollywood after she got fired from Diff'rent Strokes do to her pregnancy. Her substance abuse issues most certantly, didn't help matters. But her pregnancy (Dana I think was still a teenager at the time and unmarried) and subsequent firing, for all intents and purposes, killed her image as a child actor. What didn't help was that Dana's character on DS was a predominate "good girl".

*Lisa Bonet hardly got any more major, high profile roles after she was fired from The Cosby Show. Now obviously, with the latest negative news surrounding Bill Cosby, it does add a whole new, more interesting perspective towards why Lisa and Bill had a failing out.
Actually, I doubt Lisa not appearing in many things after TCS had to do with Bill Cosby. It had more to do with the fact that she preferred to raise her daughter Zoe, which was the whole reason she was fired in the first place was she because she neglected her work on TCS by not showing up for rehearsals and tapings.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
Alan Brady's Hair

I'm not sure how much of a factor it is in TV, but in both movies and recording insurance plays a role in this sort of thing. Studios will try to obtain insurance so that they won't have a huge loss if a star can't complete the project. It's happened that some stars become so undependable, usually due to drugs, that they become uninsurable, and projects get cancelled.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 AM   #23
Edward216

In reply to TMC. I don't think with Kirk Cameron it's that he's been "blacklisted", I think it's more that he's turned his back on Hollywood. He'd much rather work in Christian themed projects. I assume many people in Hollywood what with Kirk Cameron being so outspoken about his beliefs that they don't share, don't want to work with him anyways. The dislike is mutual.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 AM   #24
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216
In reply to TMC. I don't think with Kirk Cameron it's that he's been "blacklisted", I think it's more that he's turned his back on Hollywood. He'd much rather work in Christian themed projects. I assume many people in Hollywood what with Kirk Cameron being so outspoken about his beliefs that they don't share, don't want to work with him anyways. The dislike is mutual.

Ed.
That's more than likely the case, but it would be ignorant to not think that Kirk's domineering, alienating behavior on the set of Growing Pains (just Google it) once he became a Born Again Christian most definitely didn't help regardless. It simply wouldn't have been worth the trouble to hire Kirk Cameron at that phase in his life/career because he would've always been second guessing and demanding virtually, full creative control.

Who's gotten "blacklisted" in modern day Entertainment Industry???

Celebrities you think were blacklisted
Old 12-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #25
Edward216

I suppose you're right there.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #26
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Michael Chilklis claims that he was blacklisted from Hollywood for a while over his portrayal of John Belushi in the movie Wired. He also claims that Burt Reynolds helped him get back on track by offering a role on his show B.L. Stryker.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #27
Babalu

Roseanne Barr.

No great mystery there.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:59 AM   #28
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Critics Called Bonnie Franklin A "Female Carroll O'Connor," Did That Blackball Her?!?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #29
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
Roseanne Barr.

No great mystery there.

I don't think Roseanne has been blacklisted. I think she has simply chosen not to work. I know she's had a couple sitcoms in development with NBC in the last couple of years, I think she just hasn't felt the need to work.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #30
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Efrem Zimbalist JR got blacklisted after he starred in FBI due Hollywood's disdain for the FBI.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote