Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Jessie links at Sitcoms Online / Jessie Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2010s Sitcoms > Jessie

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Heart Disney Channel Breaks New Ground w/ Jessie's Engagement

Disney Channel's "Jessie" Breaks Romantic Ground
by Lynn Elber - AP
4/16/14

The title character of "Jessie" heads in an unprecedented direction for a Disney Channel series: toward the altar.

In a four-episode arc that will conclude the season this fall, 22-year-old Jessie Prescott dives into a whirlwind romance and accepts her boyfriend's proposal of marriage.

It's the first time a lead character on the children's TV channel has become engaged, said Adam Bonnett, Disney Channel executive vice president of original programming.

"Jessie is an adult, and we felt we could tackle this in a way that still feels appropriate for our audience," Bonnett said. The Disney Channel focuses on children ages 6 to 11, with "Jessie" also attracting 9-to-14-year-old "tween" viewers among its average weekly audience of 2.9 million viewers.

It ranks among the top five series for children and younger teenagers, according to Nielsen company figures.

Debby Ryan stars as the young Texas woman who moves to New York City to pursue acting and becomes the nanny for an affluent family with children adopted from India, Africa and America.

The comedy, in its third season, airs a mix of new and repeat episodes at 8 p.m. EDT Friday.

The budding relationship between Jessie and her new love, 25-year-old Brooks (Pierson Fode), is handled chastely, as befits a Disney project aimed at youngsters. The couple is shown bonding over picnics in Central Park and on movie dates and in other such innocent moments.

"The way we deal with this romance is very pure Disney fairy tale," Bonnett said, and one with a surprise ending.

Ryan, who will turn 21 on May 13, said she is far from tying the knot with her boyfriend of a year, Twenty One Pilots musician Josh Dun. Her focus is on her career, including directing her first episode of "Jessie" this season and finishing an album she plans to release in June.

But Jessie's decision to marry young is not out of step with her and Dun's social circle.

"In the last year, we have seen close friends, five of them, get engaged, five. ... One couple is getting married next month and they are both 20, a year younger than me," Ryan said.

She sees marriage and commitment as "delicate" topics for the young viewers who watch her character for clues to growing up.

"Your principal character is deciding whether or not she should start her life with a man."

Although romance is not something young viewers necessarily can relate to, Bonnett said, there are elements of the story that can have meaning for them.

"Our audience isn't dealing with somebody proposing to them, but they are dealing with choices they have to make in their life, and thinking things through, following their heart and wanting to make the right choice," he said.

Jessie and Ryan were the right combination to break ground for the channel, he said. Viewers have watched Jessie "blossom" and have seen the actress grow up over the past half-dozen years on Disney Channel programs including "The Suite Life on Deck" and the TV movie 16 Wishes.

The actress has her own firm views on what saying "I do" represents.

"It's not about the dress, it's not about the wedding. It's about the marriage. That's something we lose sight of when we're so young and all we want to do is dress up and play fairy tale," Ryan said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0..._5161548.html?
Attached Images

JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

I see this as the beginning of the end for the show.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default “Jessie” is the first leading Disney Channel character to get engaged

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/disney-cha...5.html#62OnNtT

Says a Disney exec: "Jessie is an adult, and we felt we could tackle this in a way that still feels appropriate for our audience.”

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/tv-tattle#F77PA5l4Udl8UWB3.99
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
The actress has her own firm views on what saying "I do" represents.

"It's not about the dress, it's not about the wedding. It's about the marriage. That's something we lose sight of when we're so young and all we want to do is dress up and play fairy tale," Ryan said.
Awesome quote from Debby Ryan- I definitely like that. I trust this will be well done on Jessie. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but that will be nice for her character so I don't have to hear the kids on the show and Bertram mocking her dating life anymore- that gets very tiring and annoying- not to mention it's just plain rude.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

First Look: Jessie's Wedding Portrait!
by Matt Webb Mitovich
October 8, 2014

I know — it seems like just yesterday that the Texas transplant was unceremoniously dumped by a cabbie in front of The Fairfield. But this Friday at 8:30/7:30c, Disney Channel’s Jessie (played by Debby Ryan) is heading for a wedding — and we’ve got your first look at the formal portrait.

In 'There Goes the Bride', when Jessie’s new beau Brooks (Pierson Fode) lands a plum job in Africa, the lovebirds are forced to fast-track their wedding — as in, exchange vows within two days. That can’t end well… or can it? Everyone seems happy enough below.

Jessie’s engagement marked a TV milestone, being the first one for a Disney Channel series’ lead character.

As network EVP Adam Bonnett has said, “Jessie (age 22) is an adult, and we felt we could tackle this in a way that still feels appropriate for our audience.

http://tvline.com/2014/10/08/jessie-...isney-channel/
Attached Images

JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
Mace Dolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
I see this as the beginning of the end for the show.
Don't Disney shows all last 4 years anyway? Next season will probably be its last.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
Schmoopie
Love never ends
Forum Veteran

Wow, that's shocking and honestly it doesn't make sense in relation to the show's premise. I really liked her with Tony and I hated that they broke them up. Later in the series she tells him that she wished they could get back together so that she could break up with him again. I thought that was pretty tacky to be honest. I have a feeling that next season will be the last season as well, and her being married is not at all how I expected the show to end.

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019
Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
HauntedThunderman94
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex
Don't Disney shows all last 4 years anyway? Next season will probably be its last.
Correct, the next season will be the last one. NO, Disney Channel series has gone past Season 4.
HauntedThunderman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
hughpuppies
Melanie Bernhardt
Forum Regular

As you already know Jessie did not get married and the 4th season is almost over and they are making a spin off with Rovie, zerie(spelling) Emma will be in a new show called Bunk'd they will be at a summer camp. Luke will be in a game show type show called Gamer’s Guide to Pretty Much Everything.