Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Amen (Sitcoms Online) / Amen links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Amen Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Amen

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Heidi Dawn
Muppets
Forum Regular

Unhappy R.I.P. Sherman Hemsley

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2012/07/24/20022931.html

The Jeffersons star Sherman Hemsley has died at the age of 74.

The actor passed away at his home in El Paso, Texas on Tuesday. He is believed to have died from natural causes, according to TMZ.com.

Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Hemsley got his break in showbusiness in the early 1970s, making his Broadway debut in a production of the play Purlie.

It was during his stage stint that he caught the eye of American TV writer and producer Norman Lear, who reached out to Hemsley and asked him to star as George Jefferson in new sitcom All in the Family.

Hemsley was reluctant to quit the theatre and held off on the role for two years before taking Lear up on the standing offer.

Although Jefferson was just a secondary character on the show, Hemsley's comedic timing convinced Lear to develop a spin-off series titled The Jeffersons in 1975, allowing the actor to really shine on camera.

The program became one of Lear's most successful projects and remains the longest-running sitcom with a predominantly black cast in U.S. TV history, airing from 1975 to 1985.

Hemsley's other TV credits include 1980s show Amen and puppet series Dinosaurs, while he also made guest appearances on Will Smith's TV hit The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

He also enjoyed a stint as a professional singer and released a single in 1989, titled Ain't that A Kick in the Head.

Further details surrounding his passing were unavailable as WENN went to press.
Complete Series Box Sets I own: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life, Family Ties, Diff'rent Strokes, Green Acres.
Heidi Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
hawkeye123

I just heard RIP Sherman Hemsley. We lost a great one today. God broke the mold when he made Sherman.
George Costanza: George Costanza as you know him, Ceases to Exist! You see, right now, I have Relationship George, but there is also Independent George. That's the George you know, the George you grew up with - Movie George, Coffee shop George, Liar George, Bawdy George.
Jerry Seinfeld: I, I love that George.
George Costanza: Me Too! And he's Dying Jerry! If Relationship George walks through this door, he will Kill Independent George! A George, divided against itself, Cannot Stand!
hawkeye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...jX7W_blog.html

Remembering Sherman Hemsley and his portrayal of black church life

Sherman Hemsley has died. The iconic comedian was most famous for his role as an Upper East side living business man in “The Jeffersons,” but it was his other show — the one that was less edgy, more homey and portrayed an aspect of black life largely invisible in Hollywood — that we must remember. That show, which featured the antics and triumphs of Deacon Ernest J. Frye, was called “Amen.”

Amen removed the cloak and dagger that often surrounds life as Christians. Hemsley showed that just because one is called to the pulpit doesn’t make him any less annointed then the next man. He may dance in the sheets with his lady, get bitten by the green-eyed monster and even ball up his fists to protect the one he loves. In a nutshell, he showed that Christians are still human. They make mistakes, but it’s their attempt to walk the less traveled, and more righteous path that makes them special.

Since Amen aired its last episode in 1991, there have been a few attempts to show black church life once again. The Mary Mary gospel singers have a reality show, and in June TV Land aired the new sitcom “Soul Man” which features Cedric the Entertainer as a preacher. But it’s Deacon Frye who paved the way for these small-screen hits.

Rest in peace, Ernie. Hopefully, you’ve had your last fight with Rolly and are somewhere in heaven doing this:
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Larenz09
Gary Coleman, we'll miss you!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's

Sherman Hemsley has died. The iconic comedian was most famous for his role as an Upper East side living business man in “The Jeffersons,” but it was his other show — the one that was less edgy, more homey and portrayed an aspect of black life largely invisible in Hollywood — that we must remember. That show, which featured the antics and triumphs of Deacon Ernest J. Frye, was called “Amen.”

Amen removed the cloak and dagger that often surrounds life as Christians. Hemsley showed that just because one is called to the pulpit doesn’t make him any less annointed then the next man. He may dance in the sheets with his lady, get bitten by the green-eyed monster and even ball up his fists to protect the one he loves. In a nutshell, he showed that Christians are still human. They make mistakes, but it’s their attempt to walk the less traveled, and more righteous path that makes them special.

Since Amen aired its last episode in 1991, there have been a few attempts to show black church life once again. The Mary Mary gospel singers have a reality show, and in June TV Land aired the new sitcom “Soul Man” which features Cedric the Entertainer as a preacher. But it’s Deacon Frye who paved the way for these small-screen hits.

Rest in peace, Ernie. Hopefully, you’ve had your last fight with Rolly and are somewhere in heaven doing this:

He wil ALWAYS be remembered as George Jefferson and Earnest Deacon Frye!!!!!

R.I.P..
Larenz09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
let'swatchtv
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's

strangely enough, this article does not even mention the short lived mid-to-late 90's sitcom Good News for which was a spin-off of Sparks and ran on UPN (now The CW merging with The WB) from 1997-1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_News_(TV_series)

The series focused on David Randolph (played by David Ramsey), a young acting pastor designated to Compton, California's African American Church of Life.Initially,the majority of the church's members balk at the young pastor's new position and resent him replacing their former pastor.with the help of the church's secretary, Vera Hudson (played by Rose Jackson Moye), Randolph atttempts to reunite the church and help his congregation.

other church members included Hattie, the church's chef (Played by Roz Ryan),Cassie Coleman, the church's youth director(played by Tracey Cherelle Jones), and Little T, as one of the choir members and janitor (played by Guy Torry).

on May 19, 1998 the UPN series was cancelled after a 22 episode run.

Last edited by let'swatchtv; 07-26-2012 at 06:16 AM.
let'swatchtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by let'swatchtv
strangely enough, this article does not even mention the short lived mid-to-late 90's sitcom Good News for which was a spin-off of Sparks and ran on UPN (now The CW with the merging of The WB) from 1997-1998.

The series focused on David Randolph (played by David Ramsey), a young acting pastor designated to Compton, California's African American Church of Life.Initially,the majority of the church's members balk at the young pastor's new position and resent him replacing their former pastor.with the help of the church's secretary, Vera Hudson (played by Rose Jackson Moye), Randolph atttempts to reunite the church and help his congregation.

other church members included Hattie, the church's chef (Played by Roz Ryan),Cassie Coleman, the church's youth director(played by Tracey Cherelle Jones), and Little T, as one of the choir members and janitor (played by Guy Torry).

Unfortunately, Sherman was not in that one. Would have been good if he was!! The show might have lasted longer.

There was also an amorous love-sick little midget guy in the show (forgot his name), who was always trying to go after Hattie, making advances to her.

He appeared in several eps of the show.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
let'swatchtv
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larenz09
Unfortunately, Sherman was not in that one. Would have been good if he was!! The show might have lasted longer.

There was also an amorous love-sick little midget guy in the show (forgot his name), who was always trying to go after Hattie, making advances to her.

He appeared in several eps of the show.

listen, i already know that Hemsley was never on Good News, although i do agree with you he should've. but to be fair UPN sitcom-wise he was one of the Stars on the short-lived 23 episode sitcom Goode Behavior which ran on UPN from 1996-1997 where he palyed as a newly paroled convicted con artist and the Father of Franklin Goode(playeby Dorien Wilson by the way) named Willie Goode.

here's the link for the show:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goode_Behavior

and the premise:"Willie Goode (played by Sherman Hemsley) is a newly paroled convicted con artist.He is also the father of Franklin Goode (Played by Dorien Wilson),his estranged son.Franklin is a College professor, an is in the process of being promoted to "Dean of Humanities" at "Chapel Hill University" in Chapel Hill,North Carloina.The two must peacfully co-exist when Willie arrives at Franklin's House (unannounced) to fulfill the conditions of his probation; he must live at his son's house, under house arrest.caught in the middle of a family feuding are Franklin's wife Barbara Goode (played by Alex Datcher),a local news anchor,and their teenage daughter Bianca Goode (played by Bianca Lawson)."

Oh and By The Way Larenz09,for the midget guy from Good News are you talking about Mr.(Nick) Porter played by Dana Woods by any chance?

Last edited by let'swatchtv; 07-26-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Johnny be good!

I'm going to miss him.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Quote:

Oh and By The Way Larenz09,for the midget guy from Good News are you talking about Mr.(Nick) Porter played by Dana Woods by any chance?

Yeah, that's the one!

Forgot his name. But I thought Dana was a GIRL'S name - hence Dana Plato.

Anyway, he used to follow Hattie around, try to slowly inch his way next to her on the bench in church, jump up into her arms and just wouldn't leave her alone.

She would give in and rub him on the head, as someone would with a little boy!!! He looked the size of a little boy!!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
let'swatchtv
Forum Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one!

Forgot his name. But I thought Dana was a GIRL'S name - hence Dana Plato.

Anyway, he used to follow Hattie around, try to slowly inch his way next to her on the bench in church, jump up into her arms and just wouldn't leave her alone.

She would give in and rub him on the head, as someone would with a little boy!!! He looked the size of a little boy!!
yeah, in a suit & tie none the less but i believe that he appeared in episode 7 "Try a Little Tenderness" and episode 15 "The Reunion" also did you know Roz Ryan (a.k.a Hattie Dixon) was the voice of Bubbie The Whale on Cartoon Network's The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack which it had a two season run from 2008-2010?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
let'swatchtv
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny be good!
I'm going to miss him.

trust me dude, we all are!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Larenz09
Forum Regular

I just watched an ep of HOP, where Sherman Hemsley and Marla Gibbs guest starred in their familiar roles from The Jeffersons.

Sherman has always reprised his famous role in other sitcoms!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #13
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
I just watched an ep of HOP, where Sherman Hemsley and Marla Gibbs guest starred in their familiar roles from The Jeffersons.

Sherman has always reprised his famous role in other sitcoms!!!
Tyler Perry did a great tribute to Sherman using some of the leftover footage of him behind the scenes in filming that episode. Palmer Williams stated how he was honored to work with legends on that episode.
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
listen, i already know that Hemsley was never on Good News, although i do agree with you he should've. but to be fair UPN sitcom-wise he was one of the Stars on the short-lived 23 episode sitcom Goode Behavior which ran on UPN from 1996-1997 where he palyed as a newly paroled convicted con artist and the Father of Franklin Goode(playeby Dorien Wilson by the way) named Willie Goode.

here's the link for the show:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goode_Behavior

and the premise:"Willie Goode (played by Sherman Hemsley) is a newly paroled convicted con artist.He is also the father of Franklin Goode (Played by Dorien Wilson),his estranged son.Franklin is a College professor, an is in the process of being promoted to "Dean of Humanities" at "Chapel Hill University" in Chapel Hill,North Carloina.The two must peacfully co-exist when Willie arrives at Franklin's House (unannounced) to fulfill the conditions of his probation; he must live at his son's house, under house arrest.caught in the middle of a family feuding are Franklin's wife Barbara Goode (played by Alex Datcher),a local news anchor,and their teenage daughter Bianca Goode (played by Bianca Lawson)."

Sherman acknowledged what hurt that show was the writing in later interviews. He thought the concept was great but the writing was weak. I am surprised they didn't make him a consultant like he was on 'Amen'. If they would have did that, the show could have lasted longer. I guess since he was up in age, he just wanted to come act and go home, lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
GSU2004
Forum Regular

Quote:
strangely enough, this article does not even mention the short lived mid-to-late 90's sitcom Good News for which was a spin-off of Sparks and ran on UPN (now The CW merging with The WB) from 1997-1998.

Good News always felt like a low budget 'Amen' to me. They tried to make it about the pastor but people just couldn't get into it. Despite the fact, they had some of the same producers from Amen working on this show.