Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Amen (Sitcoms Online) / Amen links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Amen Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Amen

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Steelpinkdaisy
Occasional Poster

I have to disagree! Maybe in the beginning that might of been the case but if you go back to the episode "Thelma's reunion" and to the scene where Thelma comes down the stairway in a sparkly royal blue dress all dolled up,look at the reverend's look on his face. From that point on his feelings changed for her and over the season those feelings grew. Also if he wasn't attracted to her then why was he always the one initiating all those kissing scenes? What about when another guy would come into play, like in those episodes "Thelma's Handyman", "MatchMaker MatchMaker" and "Sergeant in Arms" ? Reuben was always getting jealous when another man was interested in Thelma. When the day finally came and he married her.....He looked like a groom very much in love and eager to be with his new bride!
Steelpinkdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelpinkdaisy
I have to disagree! Maybe in the beginning that might of been the case but if you go back to the episode "Thelma's reunion" and to the scene where Thelma comes down the stairway in a sparkly royal blue dress all dolled up,look at the reverend's look on his face. From that point on his feelings changed for her and over the season those feelings grew. Also if he wasn't attracted to her then why was he always the one initiating all those kissing scenes? What about when another guy would come into play, like in those episodes "Thelma's Handyman", "MatchMaker MatchMaker" and "Sergeant in Arms" ? Reuben was always getting jealous when another man was interested in Thelma. When the day finally came and he married her.....He looked like a groom very much in love and eager to be with his new bride!

Maybe he settled because he wasn't getting any younger?
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
Steelpinkdaisy
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Maybe he settled because he wasn't getting any younger?
No, I don't think so. I think it's just hard for some fans to get past what a person looks like on the outside rather than what is going on inside. If you REALLY watch the show, you can clearly see the passion between both characters, especially season 4.
Steelpinkdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #19
Wildchats
Me
Forum Regular

She was a good person, that's why he married her. He probably had no luck finding someone nice and wanted to marry someone nice but wasn't ready to settle down or date anyone during the time he met Thelma.
Wildchats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:42 AM   #20
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats
She was a good person, that's why he married her. He probably had no luck finding someone nice and wanted to marry someone nice but wasn't ready to settle down or date anyone during the time he met Thelma.
she grew on him
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

If you guys didn't like Reuben and Thelma together, then why are you in this thread? Amen was mostly about their relationship, much like Diane/Sam on Cheers. That was really the draw of the show. Maybe you watched it for Hemsley, but he really wasn't the driving force of the show. Anyway, I think it's rude to put Anna Maria Horsford's looks down. Why not just skip the thread?
burtnmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #22
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

Exactly! "Thelma's Reunion" started the mutual attraction between those two. I thought they were AMAZING and had amazing chemistry. Some people just didn't have an understanding of how these two connected. A shame. Because I believe their relationship was what made this show so popular. I personally watched it for them...I couldn't wait each week to watch their relationship grow.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #23
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

Please! Reuben could have gotten anybody he wanted. Remember when his ex fiancÚ came back, BEGGING for sex (all the women threw themselves at him...not just Thelma)? He absolutely wouldn't have sex with her, or give her any chance. He said he loved his new fiancÚ Thelma. He loved her!!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #24
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

Again, I AGREE!!!!