Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Maude links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Maude Photo Gallery


Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony) DVD
Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) DVD
Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Series on DVD
(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Maude

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane


New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #76
Mikado
Main st bridge
Forum Celebrity
 
Mikado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 25,770
Default

Funny thing, Im a guy and i'd take Maude over the Jeffersons anyday
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #77
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend
 
OH Nuts!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 15, 2005
Posts: 81,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofTVResearch
In your opinion, what makes this a very good show? Just Curious. I finally seen several eps of the show in 2004 and 2005 and I gave the show overall a C. It's watchable but not many Laugh out Loud Moments.

Gosh I Don't know King IMO a C is a tiny bit harsh. Sometimes when you evaluate a piece of work you have to keep in mind how much effort is made trying to make the premise work, the potential of the actors (all good) and then weigh this against what actually came across. IMO, Maude was forced. It's heart was in the right place--the writing, direction & production were not. Just look at Bea Arthur in other venues and you can see how great she can be. She was amazing on AITF & The Golden Girls. What the show Maude tried to do was laudable, even if it wasn't successful at it...I'd give it C+/B-, since it did aim for something lofty...as opposed to something canned like Good Times (D+)
__________________
Thank you SHOUT! & Antenna TV

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #78
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich p
Gosh I Don't know King IMO a C is a tiny bit harsh. Sometimes when you evaluate a piece of work you have to keep in mind how much effort is made trying to make the premise work, the potential of the actors (all good) and then weigh this against what actually came across. IMO, Maude was forced. It's heart was in the right place--the writing, direction & production were not. Just look at Bea Arthur in other venues and you can see how great she can be. She was amazing on AITF & The Golden Girls. What the show Maude tried to do was laudable, even if it wasn't successful at it...I'd give it C+/B-, since it did aim for something lofty...as opposed to something canned like Good Times (D+)

The characters that made the show watchable to me was Walter, Arthur, and Florida. It was because of those characters why I laughed not really Maude
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #79
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend
 
OH Nuts!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 15, 2005
Posts: 81,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofTVResearch
The characters that made the show watchable to me was Walter, Arthur, and Florida. It was because of those characters why I laughed not really Maude
"God will get you for that!"

Maude was OK on her show but nowheres near as funny as she was on AITF. A key problem with Maude on her show was she was too one-dimensional. On AITF, for example, you saw other sides to Archie than the irrascible bigot--like when he tenderly visited Gloria after the miscarriage--the look of pained concern when he thinks Edith may have cancer. On Maude it would have been refreshing to see Maude do say or think something out of character--something reactionary for example. And yes, the other characters could be funny too-esp. Arthur--when he and Maudie went at it.

Last edited by OH Nuts!; 11-21-2007 at 02:44 AM.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #80
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich p
"God will get you for that!"

Maude was OK on her show but nowheres near as funny as she was on AITF. A key problem with Maude on her show was she was too one-dimensional. On AITF, for example, you saw other sides to Archie than the irrascible bigot--like when he tenderly visited Gloria after the miscarriage--the look of pained concern when he thinks Edith may have cancer. On Maude it would have been refreshing to see Maude do say or think something out of character--something reactionary for example. And yes, the other characters could be funny too-esp. Arthur--when he and Maudie went at it.

Some of the Episode Ideas were just AWFUL. Like why have Maude and Arthur in ONE ROOM the entire episode?-lol It was a ep in 74/75
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #81
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend
 
OH Nuts!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 15, 2005
Posts: 81,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofTVResearch
Some of the Episode Ideas were just AWFUL. Like why have Maude and Arthur in ONE ROOM the entire episode?-lol It was a ep in 74/75

I don't know if I would go so far as to say AWFUL, but many were flat. Which eps seldom or never were on The Jeffersons or All In The Family.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #82
Lhomme couture
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 167
Default

The writing on Maude is superb. For example, the fact that Vivian would think her grandmother was psychic simply because she always had the exact change when getting on the bus is very humorous and smart. It takes a good comedic writer to think outside of the box and put a spin on an seemingly ordinary thing and make it funny.
Lhomme couture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #83
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend
 
OH Nuts!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 15, 2005
Posts: 81,534
Default

Maybe we just have a difference of opinion. Because something on the show was off. And it wasn't the actors. And Maude the character had great potential--she was PRICELESS on All In The Family. But I have to be honest, I'll take the Golden Girls over Maude any day. And don't get me wrong. I certainy don't HATE Maude (the show or character-actually I love the character and boy what a character). I just thought the show was capable of more, but was still satisfying TV entertainament--but did not sparkle with brilliance like AITF or GG.
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #84
Jude The Obscure
Retired
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 10, 2006
Posts: 7,421
Default

FTR, Maude was never seen in syndication in my area. So when TV Land did rerun it, it was my first time seeing it since the original primetime run.

Also I heard that when Maude was first offered in syndication, it was offered as a weekly offering, not a strip--can anyone confirm that?
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #85
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
FTR, Maude was never seen in syndication in my area. So when TV Land did rerun it, it was my first time seeing it since the original primetime run.

Also I heard that when Maude was first offered in syndication, it was offered as a weekly offering, not a strip--can anyone confirm that?

Wow, Maude was in Syndication in Philly but way back in 1989. I know one 70's show that wasnt never aired in Philly and if it was I was too young to remember, "Chico and the Man"
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #86
OOliver
Member
Forum Regular
 
OOliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Providence RI
Posts: 535
Default

I think one of the reasons not many people enjoyed "Maude" as much as other shows which made it to syndie was the simple fact that the cast of characters were so unlikeable.

There was really no 'nice' character on the show - everyone was rather sarcastic, defensive and negative to one another. It wasn't a group of people you could spend more than 30 minutes with each week, and certainly not a group of people you would want to bring in to your home each day (like 'The Golden Girls').
OOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #87
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
I think one of the reasons not many people enjoyed "Maude" as much as other shows which made it to syndie was the simple fact that the cast of characters were so unlikeable.

There was really no 'nice' character on the show - everyone was rather sarcastic, defensive and negative to one another. It wasn't a group of people you could spend more than 30 minutes with each week, and certainly not a group of people you would want to bring in to your home each day (like 'The Golden Girls').

I think it was too much of a DRAMEDY and not a lot of fun episodes which is why it's not a hit in syndication. I mean how many times can you watch a serious ep on a sitcom?-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #88
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 34,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventies_sitcoms
I think it's more of the rarity than quality. I mean a lot of the shows in reruns I don't think are really better or worse than Maude. I don't understand how the show was so huge, but it is never given a proper chance in reruns to obtain a new fanbase. It is yanked because channels are scared of the "sponsors" for showing "low-rated" shows.

As for people saying Maude was a political show I don't get it. The episodes I taped from On Demand weren't all political so I don't know what people are yapping about. I do vaguely remember her running for Congress, but other than that what was so constantly political about the show that killed it in syndication?

I just think a lot of people didn't like a dominating and in your face female head character of a show.

I would watch this show anytime over a lot of others, but I guess I'm saying that because I'm a Bea Arthur fan. I enjoy her sarcastic style of humor, and for me that makes the show enjoyable and good over a lot of other programs. I can see why a lot of people don't like it. Plus you get 1980s scream queen Adrienne Barbeau in the series too.
I wonder if Maude is one of those shows that in the long run, suffered by being "too main character centric"? What I mean is that if watch that show now, you'll see that it barely has supporting characters; they have nothing to do except feed Bea Arthur/Maude brief straight lines, and sometimes she even steals those. Literally, the supporting cast would just stand there silent while she set up her own jokes.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #89
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Forum Veteran
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 10,346
Default

It's still better than TRASH like The Fresh Prince or CPO Sharkey- lol Maude was a goldmine compared to those two shows.
__________________
Remember: reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold...bye!!! - Bill Cipher
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #90
Alan Brady's Hair
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 30, 2014
Posts: 3,638
Default

The question is why was it watched in first run. It was just a fashion to watch all the issues sitcoms then, like watching the night time soaps in the early 80 ' s or binge watching edgy serials today. After the fashion's run its course, the show has to stand on its own merits, and Maude ' s at best mediocre by that measure.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.