Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #31
TV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbeans View Post
And at least Oliver didn't sing, unlike that kid they brought into the Partridge Family when the ratings started to sink. That kid's voice sends me running for the remote whenever he tries to sing.
Little Ricky! I hated that kid. “You look like you need cheering up”, and then he’d start singing some sappy number while the other cast members looked on adoringly. You know damned well that underneath their phony smiles, Shirley and David wanted to snap his neck.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
Greenbeans
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
Little Ricky! I hated that kid. “You look like you need cheering up”, and then he’d start singing some sappy number while the other cast members looked on adoringly. You know damned well that underneath their phony smiles, Shirley and David wanted to snap his neck.
Truth! I always wondered why they didn't hire a good singer and have Little Ricky lip-synch like most of the other Partridges. That kid was terrible!
Greenbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #33
Screwy Wabbit
Frequent Poster

4, 3 and some of the early 5th season. Everybody knows most of the memorable episodes came later in the show, like Marcia's nose, Davy Jones, Grand Canyon, Hawaii and Kings Island, among others.

I've always liked the Hawaiian vacation three-parter, right from the first time they aired it in 1973. But it was also a good if sad memory from 2001. After days of watching the painful coverage of 9/11, TV Land showing those three episodes in a Fandemonium mini-marathon on Sunday night brought back a small feeling of familiarity and comfort.
Screwy Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #34
TV Guy

It’s really a shame that the last 7 or 8 episodes of season 5 are so weak. Because the early part of season 5 is up to par, with strong episodes like “Adios, Johnny Bravo”, “The Cincinnati Kids”, “Marcia Gets Creamed”, “Peter and the Wolf”, “The Drivers’ Seat”, “Miss Popularity” and “Try Try Again”.

But those late season 5 episodes are the worst of the series, and give the whole season a bad name.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #35
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

I would choose the later seasons for sure, but right, they sure did mess up the end. The slide really took off with Kelly's Kids, the absolute worst episode of the series--absolutely unwatchable (as a lot of pilots within shows are). They recovered with the next couple of episodes, especially the 2nd gag episode of the series, with the UFOs. Then the nosedive continued with the inexplicable move of bringing in Oliver. Then the final episode nonsense--"It's too bad your father is out of town and will miss your graduation, Greg." They should have rewritten a few scenes, and reshot, to avoid mention of graduation. No father is going to mis his first son's (or any child's) graduation.

Even with all of this I'd still choose the fifth season over the first season, though. Too many lame scripts in that season.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #36
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

I think the middle seasons the best-although I liked them all.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #37
IsabellaKlump
Occasional Poster

I love the episodes when the kids are a little older--while I like season 1, I got tired of the episodes where they're constantly fighting. What I do like about season 1 is that they actually address the issue of six kids having to get used to not only having new step-siblings, but new parents as well. That whole idea seemed to go by the wayside after season 2. After that, Carol and Mike seem to forget that the boys and girls (respectively) aren't their biological siblings. Only occasionally is it referenced, like in the "Dough Re Mi" episode when Carol asks Alice what age Greg was when his voice started changing.

There are so many season 1 episodes that are just lame, like the episode where all the kids are sick and they obsess over having a male or female doctor. "Why don't you just have both?" I said. Duh. By the end of the episode, they come to the same conclusion that I did. I also dislike the episode where Cindy has to choose between her mom or dad to see her in the play. Why doesn't the school just plan multiple performances? And when they do a second performance, they only do it for the Bradys! What about all the other kids' parents who couldn't come?

I think seasons 2-4 are my favorites. I've always favored the Marcia and Greg centered episodes because they were my favorite kids. Though all the kids have their moments. I also love all the singing episodes, especially the Johnny Bravo episode in season 5. I love the Hawaii episodes, more so than the Grand Canyon--but that could be because I love Vincent Price so much. I also like how the relationship between Greg and Peter changes, they become more friends than brothers, with both guys being girl crazy.

I like most of season 5, but I would agree that the show goes downhill after Jan wins "Most Popular Girl." Between that episode and the conclusion of the series, there are two episodes I do like: The one with Greg and Marcia's driving test and the one where Peter meets his doppleganger. One of the worst episodes toward the end of the series, aside from the horrible UFO episode, is the one where Cindy wants to be the next Shirley Temple. That may have been a good season 1, 6 year old Cindy episode... not a season 5, 12-13 year old Cindy. She was way too old for that storyline.

Does anyone else besides me think that Peter should have at least been in high school by season 5? Why is he still in middle school? Are Peter and Jan the same age? I always figured that Peter was older.

My favorite seasons from favorite to least favorite: 4, 3, 2, 5, 1
IsabellaKlump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #38
TV Guy

Peter probably stayed back. Remember when he got that D in science?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #39
rcbrad
Forum Regular

I think that season 3 and especially season 4 is when the show reached it's peak. The actors performances reached their stride and really came together with each other during this time.
rcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #40
lakesgirl

I like the later episodes. I think the kid actors are better and more comfortable in their roles. They seem very natural as opposed to the earlier episodes.
lakesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote