Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #16
Tweety

I thought it was funny the way Jan kind of stumbled thought that whole little speech, hesitating a couple of times while trying to get the lines out... they left that scene intact, rather than re-shooting it...

Happy New Year Everyone!
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:43 AM   #17
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
She only said it once...But it was how she said it, with such a loud and tearful voice.
There was footage of her saying "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" in "The Brady Brides" from 1981. (Or was it the movie "The Brady Girls Get Married"? )
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #18
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety
I thought it was funny the way Jan kind of stumbled thought that whole little speech, hesitating a couple of times while trying to get the lines out... they left that scene intact, rather than re-shooting it...
It probably came off as being more realistic to the producers and director. A real teenage girl would have those awkward pauses, born out of frustration. It's what they call in the industry a "happy accident."
Old 01-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
Rich3
Forum Regular

It's interesting the way that they got lots of realistic performances.
Rich3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
Bachu
Forum Regular

I also think they used the line 'Marcia did it again! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!' in The Brady Bunch Movie trailer which is why it has stuck. Along with pork chops and applesauce.

Going off topic a mo, why Marcia and not Marsha? If I read Marcia in a book I would say Mar-see-a and not Marsha?
Bachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #21
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachu
I also think they used the line 'Marcia did it again! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!' in The Brady Bunch Movie trailer which is why it has stuck. Along with pork chops and applesauce.

Going off topic a mo, why Marcia and not Marsha? If I read Marcia in a book I would say Mar-see-a and not Marsha?
It's pronounced the same for some unknown reason. One of those inexplicable things about American English.
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #22
Rich3
Forum Regular

Marcia was the original spelling.

Catsup was the original spelling for Ketchup.

Santa Claus used to be Saint Nicholas.

The list goes on....
Old 01-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #23
erin05
I want a unicorn :)
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to erin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich3
Marcia was the original spelling.

Catsup was the original spelling for Ketchup.

Santa Claus used to be Saint Nicholas.

The list goes on....
it bugs me to Marcia spelt Marsha. i dont know y.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #24
Rich3
Forum Regular

I'm not sure what you were trying to say, Erin, but I prefer the Marsha spelling. That's how I always pictured it when I watched the show.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #25
nerrad

I don't think Jan ever felt that way about Marcia before that famous line. Maybe there was, but I can't remember another show where Jan was jealous of her sister. Also, her hiding Marcia's awards was childish.
nerrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #26
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad
I don't think Jan ever felt that way about Marcia before that famous line. Maybe there was, but I can't remember another show where Jan was jealous of her sister. Also, her hiding Marcia's awards was childish.

"Her Sister's Shadow" (episode 55, the "Marcia Marcia Marcia" episode, aired during Season 3) came after "The Not-So-Ugly Duckling" (episode 38, a season 2 ep)... In ep 38, Clark Tyson, the best looking boy in Jan's class, is over at the Brady's studying with Jan, and he flipped when he saw Marcia for the first time... so Jan was definitely jealous of Marcia in that episode (accusing her of "slinking in"to the room when Jan and Clark were studying, just to "turn on her icky old charms").

In "Her Sister's Shadow", Jan is jealous of Marcia's awards... and in "Will the Real Jan Brady Please Stand Up?" (ep 42, from season 2), Jan is sort of jealous in that her invitation to Lucy's party was addressed to Marcia... not sure if jealousy really applies in THAT instance, but she's definitely upset that HER friend Lucy would confuse her with Marcia...

and you're right, nerrad...hiding Marcia's awards was definitely a childish move on Jan's part (I can hear Jan now, "but I AM a child!")
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #27
mykel
Frequent Poster

This just goes to show everyone how connected we all really are and how small the world is: my mother, who isn't much older than Maureen, is named Marcia (yes, it's spelled the same way as the Brady character), she grew up in Southern and Central California in the late 1960's and early 70's, has one sister, named Cindy, and a first cousin, named Jan.

The three were inseparable as girls.

Hollywood writers like Sherwood Schwartz certainly knew what names were fashionable back then and it gives me a certain amount of pride to know that the names of my relatives and these great characters reflect a shared moment of cultural history.

It may have taken my mother a couple of decades to realize the staying power of this old show, but now, she laughs right along with me whenever I say, in exasperation with the fussy ways that seem to be growing in tandem with her age, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"

Mykel
mykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #28
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
I was saying I knew it couldn't have been the show since it was only said one time. So now knowing it was in the Movie, every thing makes sense

It wasn't because of the movies. It was through Saturday Night Live. One of the regulars I believe during the early 90s SNL named Melanie Hutsell did it when they did Brady Bunch sketches on the show. Everytime they did a sketch, it would always include her spoofing Jan doing the Marcia, Marcia, Marcia line. I'm surprised nobody remembers that. It's really from SNL that that line became as well known as it has.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #29
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashti1999
It wasn't because of the movies. It was through Saturday Night Live. One of the regulars I believe during the early 90s SNL named Melanie Hutsell did it when they did Brady Bunch sketches on the show. Everytime they did a sketch, it would always include her spoofing Jan doing the Marcia, Marcia, Marcia line. I'm surprised nobody remembers that. It's really from SNL that that line became as well known as it has.

Ah, I remember that one very well. In fact, when Susan Dey hosted the show (late 80s I believe, maybe very early 90s), they did a GREAT skit featuring a "Battle of the Bands" (Brady Bunch vs Partridge Family). That skit was great! Susan accused the Bradys of "treating Alice like crap". When Victoria Jackson (as Cindy) replied "That's not true, we LOVE Alith" , Susan said, very sarcastically, "yeah, right...you don't even let her have DINNER with you".

I think Kevin Nealon played Greg, Dana Carvey played Keith, Mike Meyers played Danny, Adam Sandler might have played Peter... Melanie of course, played Jan, Julia Sweeney played Mrs. Partridge...

If you ever notice (maybe on "E", they run a lot of 90s SNL episodes) that Susan Dey is hosting an SNL rerun show, check it out! I'm thinking that this may have been her only time hosting the show, but I could be wrong.

I have this skit on tape (soon to be on DVD, if and when I find it), it's a classic!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #30
kooky12

The TV stations themselves helped popularize this with their ads. Currently in Chicago, WWME channel 23 advertises the Brady Bunch with clips of "Marcia Marcia Marcia" and "Mom always said, don't play ball in the house" and "Oh !! My nose !!" I believe that Channel 32 did this, too, 20 years ago or so, before they were Fox.............
kooky12 is offline   Reply With Quote