Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #31
bellczar
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
How many episodes did it have??

Were they as good as THE BRADY BUNCH??
Six!!!

Ep 1 & 2 - Bobby races in the Indy 500, crashes, and is paralyzed, gets married

Ep 3 & 4 - The Brady home is threatened with demolition. The Bradys move the house and Mike runs for office

Ep 5 - Marcia is feeling useless and turns to the bottle; Mike fires Wally from his staff

Ep 6 - Peter & Greg are cross; Marcia and the kids help Mike & Carol put on a gathering for a visiting diplomat
bellczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:25 AM   #32
Dude111

Wow sad it only lasted 6 shows!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #33
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
And one of the girls became an alcoholic I think?

Yep, Fake Marcia got tipsy enough for the fam to intervene and by the episode's end, she was spouting off the Twelve Steps and never had another drop for the rest of the short lived series. Yeah, like that happens ALL the time!

I think had they just made a single TV movie instead of trying to relaunch an entire series as a drama, it may have worked better (and yes, I DID watch it). Also, the onetime MTV Veejay Martha Quinn was woefully miscast as Bobby's wife who seemed more interested in becoming a Brady than actually having a genuine affection for her husband (much like Winifred Wagner did re her own husband in wanting to join the Wagner clan).
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #34
Impressions
She died the way she lived

I've seen a few episodes and it felt like a terrible soap opera. It was hard to watch and it was a huge mistake. I guess they didn't learn from The Brady Bunch Variety Show and The Brady Brides that the Bradys just don't have staying power as a series?
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #35
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure View Post
Had the Bradys been placed at 8:00pm central, it would have done better in the ratings as evidenced by the original 2 hour pilot episode "The Brady 500". From 7pm to 8pm, it was clobbered, esp by "Full House";when the second hour came on, the reverse happened, it clobbered the competition, which is why the rating for the whole 2 hour episode average around a 12 (today that would be considered a smash hit!). Sherwood and others tried their best to convince CBS to move the show an hour later, but CBS kept saying we need a family show at 7pm, but families were already watching "Full House" en masse--and the irony being that FH was exactly the type of saccahrine sitcom the Brady Bunch had been in the '70s. You don't compete like vs. like--you counterprogram. But I guess it's for the best that The Bradys didn't survive longer--I don't think they would have been able to handle RR's passing in a good way.
Yeah, Full House in a round about way, is to millennials what The Brady Bunch was to Generation X.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:49 AM   #36
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure View Post
The thing is.........The Bradys was not supposed to be a series, but rather 2 TV movies. Then CBS got greedy and did the NBC thing with the Brady Brides (originally a one shot TV movie split into 4 parts, with 6 more episodes tacked on).
I can get the logic behind the creation of The Bradys. A Very Brady Christmas aired approximately a year and a half prior and garnered huge ratings for CBS. Plus the reruns for the old show were still really popular at this point. Maybe there was a kernel of good idea in this, but the writing wasn’t great. Apparently, the idea was to introduce thirtysomething themes into the Brady family and Sherwood Schwartz thought it was going to making him relevant in the new era. Unfortunately, this didn't really work because More to the point, they never let anything develop. Bobby was in a coma until the third act. Marsha was an alcoholic for an afternoon. Jan's adopted daughter didn't fit in for an hour. The fact that Maureen McCormick (arguably the most popular Brady kid) didn't want to participate naturally didn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCy76ytBWdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWh8Q0bi4YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rvoPTJSf5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9h9xKt4K0

Last edited by TMC; 11-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #37
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
10 being best. I give it a 5. It was ok, I guess. To me, The Brady Bunch was a comedy/Drama, mostly comedy, but the Brady's wasn't very comical. It was mostly Drama. Marcia becoming an Alcoholic. Peter almost choking to death to have Greg save him. Bobby almost being killed in a racing accident. Reminds me of Gilligans Island episode. The Hunter. Gilligan being hunted to be killed by a psycho for sport. Nothing funny about that.
The Bradys was obviously made to not just cash in on the ratings success of the Christmas reunion movie, but also all of the network "dramedies" that were all of the rage by the end of the '80s (Frank's Place, Hooperman, The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd).

Last edited by TMC; 11-23-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #38
TV Guy

After the success of the Christmas reunion, Sherwood Schwartz pitched the idea of three more reunion movies. CBS, desperate for ratings, asked him to do a six-episode series instead.

The reason the Christmas movie was so popular is that people wanted to see what everyone looked like and what all the characters were doing. Once that curiosity was satisfied, they didn’t need to see the characters every week.

The sad thing is that the reunion and short-lived series didn’t recapture what made the series fun. It was never overly dramatic. I wish they had gotten Tam Spiva, who wrote some of the more memorable episodes of the series, to write the movie. Sherwood Schwartz only wrote two episodes of the original series - the pilot and Kelly’s Kids, two of the weakest. And he wrote both “The Brady Kids Get Married” and “A Very Brady Christmas”. Big mistake.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #39
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
After the success of the Christmas reunion, Sherwood Schwartz pitched the idea of three more reunion movies. CBS, desperate for ratings, asked him to do a six-episode series instead.

The reason the Christmas movie was so popular is that people wanted to see what everyone looked like and what all the characters were doing. Once that curiosity was satisfied, they didn’t need to see the characters every week.

The sad thing is that the reunion and short-lived series didn’t recapture what made the series fun. It was never overly dramatic. I wish they had gotten Tam Spiva, who wrote some of the more memorable episodes of the series, to write the movie. Sherwood Schwartz only wrote two episodes of the original series - the pilot and Kelly’s Kids, two of the weakest. And he wrote both “The Brady Kids Get Married” and “A Very Brady Christmas”. Big mistake.
It was probably a blessing in disguise that The Bradys didn't get a longer run because naturally, the subject regarding Robert Reed's health and subsequent death (which came less than two years after The Bradys was on the air) would have to be dealt with. Then again, Robert Reed like on the old series, was very difficult on set due to his issues with the quality of the writing and direction. And had he had been healthy and had The Bradys lasted longer, then Sherwood Schwartz would've likely had written Mike Brady out anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY2c6aO2LgE
Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #40
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats View Post
It ended badly. Peter and Cindy were the only kids not married. I think Valerie could have came back in the final episode and would have gotten back with Peter, and Cindy would have married her boss. Another double wedding to end the Brady Bunch history. That's how it should have ended. Then Robert Reed died in 1992.
This show sucked. AVBC ended on a great note. Wally found a new job doing something he loved, Marcia was content as a housewife, Jan and Philip worked things out, Cindy was finally accepted as the adult she was, Peter and Valerie were going to be together, Greg and Nora were together for Christmas, and Bobby found his bliss.

The Bradys trashed all that for "drama". Bobby paralyzed? Okay, that's one thing. Now Wally is apparently some bum and Marcia becomes an unsettled drunk. Valerie becomes some workaholic fiend so Peter will dump her so he can be a bachelor. Cindy and her boss...borderline. Jan and Philip had infertility I think...

This could have been a great comedy or a couple of movies per season like Perry Mason. CBS killed the Bradys in my opinion.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #41
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
I've seen a few episodes and it felt like a terrible soap opera. It was hard to watch and it was a huge mistake. I guess they didn't learn from The Brady Bunch Variety Show and The Brady Brides that the Bradys just don't have staying power as a series?
I loved the Brady Brides because that's what made the Brady Bunch work...as a light comedy. Yes, the occasional drama like in AVBC but it was fun. The Bradys destroyed all the good stuff for to provocative and it blew.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #42
TV Guy

In the last episode of “The Bradys”, I would have had them move back to the beach because they accept an offer from CBS to reboot their Variety Hour.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 AM   #43
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Maureen McCormick said in an interview once that the original plan for "THE BRADYS" was to do it as a series of TV movies but CBS insisted on a weekly series. She said if they had stuck to the original plan, she would have returned.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote