Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Welcome Back, Kotter links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Welcome Back, Kotter Photo Gallery

Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete First Season

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete First Season on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final (Fourth) Season

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Final (Fourth) Season on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - Television Favorites

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - Television Favorites on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Welcome Back, Kotter

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane
WarnerMedia Announces HBO Max for 2020 with Friends, Fresh Prince & More; IMDb Gets First Scripted Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
howilu

Default Was Barbarino Really Dumb?

Anyone think that Vinnie Barbarino was the dumbest of the sweathogs? In an episode I saw this week, he got left back before Julie was about to give birth and Woodman said to him after barging in to Gabe's class for the umpteenth time "OK Barbarino, in with the dumbbells dumbbell."
howilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by howilu
Anyone think that Vinnie Barbarino was the dumbest of the sweathogs? In an episode I saw this week, he got left back before Julie was about to give birth and Woodman said to him after barging in to Gabe's class for the umpteenth time "OK Barbarino, in with the dumbbells dumbbell."
Yes, he was by far the dumbest! He was funny and cute. I liked John Travolta back than. Washington and Epstein were pretty intelligent, not just street smart, but I think if they really applied themselves and had more family encouragement, they would have been good students in regular classes. Even Horshak wasn't dumb, I think he was of normal intelligence, I see him having ADHD . In those days they didn't know much about that, they just thought a kid with ADD was goofy and not real bright!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
hatwink
Forum Regular

Yeah, Barbarino was dumb.Not to knock John Travolta, but in some ways, I wonder if they were trying to parallel some things from real life into the show.
hatwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
DTF955
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwink
Yeah, Barbarino was dumb.Not to knock John Travolta, but in some ways, I wonder if they were trying to parallel some things from real life into the show.
The students were based on kids Gabe Kaplan went to school with. So, yes, I think some stuff was modeled on real life, meaning somewhere there was a kid like Barbarino.
Full House Chronology - at the webite "Tanner Central" among others (or e-mail fullhousechron (at) aol.com. "If Baseball Integrated Early," about baseball integrated fromt he beginning, & other works at baseballwhatifs (at) aol.com
DTF955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Chocolate Moose

He was dumb. But loveable.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose
He was dumb. But loveable.

I'll go with this.

It's weird, though, that the "dumbest" of the group was their leader. I know he was the heartthrob, but that wouldn't have mattered to the other guys, right? It really would have made more sense to have Epstein lead, but what do I know?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Chocolate Moose

The actor playing Epstein thought he was auditioning for Barbarino. Would have been interesting, huh?
Chocolate Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
smittykins
Occasional Poster

Wasn’t Horshack briefly promoted out of the remedial program?
smittykins is offline   Reply With Quote