Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

A Different World links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / A Different World Photo Gallery

A Different World - Season 1

Buy A Different World - Season 1 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > A Different World

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-03-2019, 03:04 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default A Different World Come back, Little Eggby Rant

http://www.manic-expression.com/a-di...le-eggby-rant/

Quote:
Hey Guys! Gerawallstar here, and today, I will be ranting on arguably the worst episode of A Different World called “Come back my little Eggby.” A lot of people who watched the first season of this show claims this as the worst episode of the season. I agree with everyone that this episode was terrible. I tried to give this season a chance, and tried to prove to everybody that hated that season that there can still be some watchable episodes of the season, but after seeing this episode, I can understand why there’s a lot of hate from this show before Debbie Allen came in. Not only this is the worst episode of season one , but it is the worst episode of the entire series. Why do I think this is this the worst episode? Let me tell you, why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUzoSIwdpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1osH8U-8Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wXLZ_wH_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpo_7z0LumI
This episode’s storyline is about the hillman students taking care of an egg for a psychology class, while Maggie accidentally loses her egg while she was doing volleyball. This is the problem I have with the episode! Not only this is the same stupid egg story we have seen millions of times before, but the writers did this egg storyline in a show about young adults that are in college! That is a terrible representation of showing HBCU life, right there! Here is some interesting facts about this episode: in an interview with Debbie Allen about the show, she explained that after the disappointing results of season 1, Bill Cosby took her in as a producer/director of the show to help improve the show’s quality, and making it what it was known for today. When she asked Marcy Carsey, and Tom Warner to show her every episode of season 1, she was furious of what was happening on the show. She hated what the producers were doing and criticized how they handled the stories of black kids in a college setting, while also criticizing how they treated the actors. She even pointed this episode out as a stupid example of what was being showcased at a black college.

You couldn’t really blame her, because the premise of the episode doesn’t belong in a college setting at all, like I stated earlier. Sure, it could work in a middle/high school setting, but in a college campus? That’s a big no-no. Aside from the negative controversies from this episode, there are other reasons why I hate this episode. The plot of this episode is the same storyline you see in an egg-centered episode, where someone loses an egg that they had to take care of for a higher grade. It is very repetitive. The humor is also very infantile. I did not laugh at the egg jokes, even once. The scene where Dwayne was acting like a dad to the egg and carrying it in his backpack calling it an “EGG-Transporter”, did not make me laugh either. Plus, he was kind of annoying here. The scene where Denise and Jaleesa were arguing about the lost egg was frustrating to watch. I even hated how this episode makes a big deal of Maggie losing her egg. She blames herself for losing it and passes out flyers to the whole school about the lost egg, forcing the audience to feel sorry for her. There is this one scene where the Resident Director Stevie Rallen confronts her about losing an egg. This scene could be touching, but the big issue with that is that it’s just a freaking egg. With all of the ranting I have done with this episode, do I have any positives for it? There are like one or two positives I have with this episode. Whitley and Stevie’s son J.T. were good here. I even liked the scene when Maggie insulted Whitley calling her a “murderer” when she thought that Whitley killed her egg. I did chuckle a little in that scene. However, those two things do not save this episode from being terrible.

Overall, I agree with everyone that hated this episode. This episode is the worst episode of the entire series. Episodes like this makes me happy that Debbie Allen turned this show around for the better when she was the producer/director in season 2. If you have kids that are interested in what college is like, don’t ever show this episode to your kids, because it is the worst example of a college campus. I give this episode a 2.5/10.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote