Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-21-2003, 03:28 AM   #1
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

Default Roseanne wanted a season 10?

I heard from a few sources that Roseanne actually wanted one more season, but ratings were bad enough and costs were too expensive for season 9, that ABC decided not to

However, thinking back, I would've loved it had the "series finale" really been just the season 9 finale, and there would've been a "normal" wrap-up season where things were the way they really were, and no Dan (except in flashbacks, unless they could write in a lookalike brother to take care of Rosey also played by John Goodman). Granted, the show was well past it's prime, but I think a really good final season would've saved the image that it took years after the fact that Roseanne had lost in seasons 8 and 9.
Dean Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:41 AM   #2
Montanya427
Frequent Poster

I think that season 9 ruined the whole show. I love the show and watch it on N@N or other channels when I have a chance, and would have liked there to be more episodes or another season made just to explain the finale.
I like your idea of what should have happened!
I think season 9 should have been turned down by ABC and they should have told Roseanne if you want a season 9 and 10 you need season 9 to lead up to the plot of the entire story being all fabrication and a book and more about the effects of Dan's death, and have season 10 a season that shows the viewers why she thought her daughters had the wrong boyfriends, her life after Dan, Jackie being gay, DJ showing a real interest in directing etc...
Montanya427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
roseannefan55
Frequent Poster

i didnt se all of season 9 but some of the episodes were really bad the theme was not the way it was and it got a little boring. th loved the first 4 seasons.
roseannefan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
Karras
Occasional Poster

Default I agree that season 9 ruined the show.

With a few amusing exceptions, it was basically rediculous. It showed a once brilliantly written program in its death throes, casting about desperately for some new way to draw in an audience. This began with the lottery and ended with the last episode, the lamest of all of them. In a bid to take the show to new heights of "cutting edge" realism, all they succeeded in doing was betraying a legion of fans with the old "it was all a dream" con game that Dallas and St. Elsewhere pulled. The only show this was actually cute on was the Bob Newhart show, because the characters weren't that involving, in fact, the original show was better, and you didn't mind it all being a dream. Roseanne commited the sin of making you care about the characters and then telling you they weren't real. Well duh! Thanks for the news flash. Show went to hell in a handbasket so they say thanks to bored fans with a slap in the face to cover their own flagging writing skills, whose inconsistencies were never more present than in that last episode. Thank God they didn't do a 10th season - it would have been like watching a wounded animal floundering around in a lake full of crocodiles...
Karras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy

Here is what I think and it is a few opinions that some of you already had mentioned. During the coure of "Roseanne" the show had from season 1-7 stayed in the top 5. (I think season 7 was still in the top 5) Then in season 8 it slipped to the top 20 and by season 9 it was in the top 40. It was 30 something in the ratings by then. ABC figured that after 9 seasons the show had lost it's value and it's large audience and the show at that time was expensive to produce. And ABC didn't want to pay a huge amount of money for a 10th season when the show was only in the top 40 for a 9th season. They probably figured it would do even worse in the 10th season.
Plus the fact that John Goodman hardly wanted to do a 9th season and the only reason he did come back for a 9th season was he felt committed to the show. He may have never come back for a 10th season.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:13 PM   #6
Apesy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Will and Grace Fanatic
Plus the fact that John Goodman hardly wanted to do a 9th season and the only reason he did come back for a 9th season was he felt committed to the show. He may have never come back for a 10th season.
I thought the only reason he was missing from so many season 9 episodes is because everyone thought season 8 was going to be the last one, and so he commited to several projects before learning the show would continue?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
Brent88
Forum Veteran

The 9th season was HORRIBLE. If Roseanne wanted a Season 10, she should have made Season 9 better. I watched at one time one of the best shows on television go down the tubes starting in 1995.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
rdaughe966
Occasional Poster

I love Season 9, just because it's such an oddity.
And it was interesting to see Roseanne (the character) without Dan for a change.
rdaughe966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #9
db108108
Teacher (for now)

That's why I love seaosn 9, it was odd. It was so out of character for the series. What other successful series out there completely upended its premise and tried something radically different. You have to love the show and Roseanne for the sheer balls she had to do what she did.

Roseanne was number 1 in it's first two seasons, then slipped down to 5th in its third after the "anthem" incident. But as a credit to how good the show really was, viewers did come back and it ranked second in its fourth and fifth season. It slipped to 4th in its sixth season, 9th in its 7th (alot due to timeslot changes), 18th in the 8th and 32nd in the 9th. Considering that it was the most expensive series on tv in it's 8th and 9th seasons, it clearly was not worht doing a 10th season for the network. Especially considering that the series finale drew only 16.6mil viewers, not even in the top 15 for the week and lower than what the series had averaged just a year before.
db108108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:37 AM   #10
seven_to_shea
Frequent Poster

I'm not going to respect Roseanne just for doing something different...the point is IMO that Season 9 was absolutely awful quality and she only made a fool of herself and tarnished the show. The lottery plot wasn't even the worst part, did it go against what the show was supposed to stand for, yes; but it still could have done something clever with it. It was the writing and general direction that was just painful to watch.
seven_to_shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:59 PM   #11
db108108
Teacher (for now)

I do respect Roseanne for going out the way she did, but I agree with you, the 9th season had alot of squandered opportunities. So many episode could have been so great, but they weren't. Many episode were missing that "something."
db108108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
David&Dan
Occasional Poster

Default This is my opinion

Well I'm not saying that season 9 was the best season, but you had to give Roseanne some credit for trying to work around the situation going on behind the scenes. I mean think about it. Didn't all of you feel something was different in the plots of the show after Tom Arnold left as he was heavily involved in the writing. After that alot of the producers and original people left. Roseanne didn't have as many creative minds on the crew as she did therefore the show was automaticlly gonna be different. By season 9, it was probably hard to keep up the standard the show had set as far as its plots when most of the orginal producers and such had been there so she had to change it up. Plus, since that was the last season, it kinda felt like the Connors work as parents and their many trials were finally gonna pay off. Thats why they let them with the lottery to show that goods thing will come around eventually. And as for changing the show's message it really didn't. It just showed that money tears you apart and messes things up. Besides, season 9 wasn't all that bad it was kinda funny seeing the connors bring working class concepts to the rich people, although I have to agree some of the episodes did seem unrealistic.
David&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Apesy
Frequent Poster

Personally, I think season 9 is one of my favorites now. I just saw "The Miracle", and it knocked my breath out (Johnny Galecki is good at crying). It maybe wasn't the funniest season, but it was still just as entertaining as it ever was.

Except for the period when Dan was in California. Those episodes stunk.
Apesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #14
Janice
Hollywood Swingin'
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Default Re: I agree that season 9 ruined the show.

Quote:
Originally posted by Karras
Thank God they didn't do a 10th season - it would have been like watching a wounded animal floundering around in a lake full of crocodiles...
Well said, and this would be that floundering animal.
Attached Images

Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
GoldenFamilyTies
Por siempre tú

Send a message via AIM to GoldenFamilyTies

I would have loved a 10th Season. Even if John Goodman didn't participate.

I am a really big fan of the 9th Season, I thought it was absolutely brilliant, and I loved the new spin it put on the show. All of the episodes were funny, even if they were way out there, or had nothing to do with reality. Roseanne took a gamble, and she came out a winner... she produced one of the best seasons of Roseanne, and took risks that came out being worth it.
GoldenFamilyTies is offline   Reply With Quote