Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Roseanne Barr says her Roseanne character supports President Trump because “it’s just

...realistic”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/b...trump-abc.html

“I’ve always had it be a true reflection of the society we live in,” she said at the TV press tour. “Half the country voted for him, half of them didn’t. It’s just realistic.” Roseanne added that “I have always attempted to portray a realistic portrait of American working class people, and it was working class people who elected Trump. So it was very real and something that needed to be discussed.” Sara Gilbert, who in addition to returning serves as an executive producer, said the revival will explore the political divide “within the context of a family.”

ALSO:

Roseanne insists Dan didn’t die in the series finale

Roseanne thinks she’d make a better president than Oprah Winfrey
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Dude111

I wonder if she just doesnt want Donny to know how she really feels?
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
wiseguy182

Yes, and Trump is doing such a bang-up job for the working people, giving them absolutely nothing and issuing a huge tax break for the wealthy. Way to make American great again Roseanne!

Was Roseanne giving an accurate reflection of the middle and working class by portraying every man/boy on her show as a wife-beater or a pathetic weakling?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
lakesgirl

Well I have to say it's relevant right now. That said, it will be interesting to see how they tackle it. It might be a little too polarizing.
lakesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Whitney Cummings on rebooting Roseanne in the Trump era: “I promise you’re going to be nettled by something on the show”

The comedian and Roseanne executive producer explains in a Vulture essay why Roseanne is necessary in a country divided by Trump. “This show is not about Trump — it’s about the circumstances that made people think Trump was a good idea,” she explains. Cummings says the Roseanne reboot will show characters viewers will disagree with, and storylines that will make everybody uncomfortable, regardless of where they are on the political spectrum. “It’s not that our goal was specifically to piss anyone off, but the Roseanne writers have a commitment to the truth that I have not seen on other network shows,” says Cummings. “There’s no agenda, no judgment of the characters, just a deep devotion to the Conners’ fiscal and emotional reality.” She adds: “In network television, there’s a lot of conversation about making characters ‘likable,’ but often it’s at the expense of making them complicated and truthful. After working with some of the show’s original writers, I’ve concluded that their quest to honor reality and avoid worrying about if you ‘like’ the characters is actually what ended up making you love the characters. For a sitcom to make you care that much requires that the writers and actors have a perfect balance of courage and restraint.” ALSO: Tim Allen responds after reports of Roseanne’s support of Trump prompts calls for ABC to bring back Last Man Standing.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
wiseguy182

The original Roseanne focused heavily on women's rights and gay's rights. Trump supports neither, so I can't imagine viewers are going to act favorably to Roseanne being a Trump supporter.

The last season of Roseanne was a train wreck anyways. Panned by critics and viewers alike and it tanked the ratings. Especially the finale, that was such a cop-out. It's as if Roseanne knew the lottery angle was a disaster and this was her way of apologizing for it.

One can't say Roseanne the character and Roseanne the person are two separate entities because there's no clear distinction between the two.

Trump won, in part, because he spoke to the poor and disaffected, at least what's his base says. Does he support a liveable wage that would help people like Roseanne? Does he support equal pay for equal work that would help a woman like Rosanne? Is Roseanne herself going to address any of this? What does she think of the Access Hollywood tape?
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Impressions
She died the way she lived

Half the country voted for Trump? Uh, Roseanne, are you sure you have you looked at the election results? Only like 46.1% did, I wouldn't call that half...he didn't even win the popular vote. Also... Roseanne is supporting Trump because it's relevant to working class families now? Puh-lease. Like the previous poster said, he has done nothing to support their plight. Back in the day, Roseanne was progressive and this just seems like a step in the wrong direction. This just seems so out of character. Kinda stupid to tear away a character's identity for the sake of staying "relevant" and to satisfy "one half" of the country.

Also, what is with all of the back peddling? The lottery didn't happen? Now Dan's death didn't happen? Keep your story straight, Roseanne! It just seems like she's trying to cover up the terrible last season.

Also, I'm not sure if I trust Whitney Cummings. If you start off by saying the show is not [whatever], well, then it usually is. Also, I would question Cummings longevity to keep an audience; bear in mind she had her own sitcom and that lasted less than 2 years.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default WashPost Compares Trump-Supporting Roseanne Revival to Bigot Archie Bunker

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...l-bigot-archie

Quote:
By Scott Whitlock | March 21, 2018 1:42 PM EDT
The Washington Post on Tuesday looked at the upcoming revival of the classic ’90s sitcom Roseanne. Because it’s been announced that the character of Roseanne is a Trump supporter now, the Post’s Hank Stuever compared her to ‘70s bigot Archie Bunker.

The article’s headline screamed: “Rebooted Roseanne is a proud ‘deplorable.’ Can she be the Trump era’s Archie Bunker?” Stuever linked:

Quote:
That Roseanne Conner is now a proud “deplorable” should come as no surprise, nor is it a surprise that some of Roseanne’s loved ones oppose her politics, just as Archie Bunker was hectored by his daughter and son-in-law during the Nixon years.
He explained the dynamic of the revived show and Roseanne’s feud with her liberal sister Jackie:

Quote:
Roseanne and her sister Jackie (Metcalf, donning her knitted pink hat and a “Nasty Woman” T-shirt) haven’t spoken since Election Night. After a detente family dinner brokered by Roseanne’s recently returned daughter Darlene (Gilbert), the sisters are at least able to hear one another’s frustrations.

“He talked about jobs, Jackie, he said to shake things up,” Roseanne says. “I know this may come as a shock to you, but we almost lost our house because of the way things were going.”

“Have you looked at the news?” Jackie snaps back. “Because now things are worse.”

“Not on the real news,” Roseanne replies.
To Stuever’s credit, he realizes how out of touch Hollywood can be with those who don’t default to supporting liberals:

Quote:
And rather than laugh, the studio audience emits a noise somewhere between an “Oooh” and a gasp, a sound that indicates that neither Hollywood nor the audience (nor even critics) knows how to go on loving a character who is that far outside their bubble.
The Post journalist added: “There is a strong sense — even a giddy anticipation — that ‘Roseanne’ is the sitcom that will at long last go there…. Since 2016, [Hollywood has] also doubled down on their disinterest in red states.”

In the '90s, Roseanne had its fair share of liberal plots that garnered media attention. Now that the main character is not a Hillary Clinton supporter, it will be interesting to see how the revived show is covered.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Wawwie

Seems very out of character for "Roseanne Conner" to be a Trump Supporter.
Wawwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
king of comedy

She was realistic.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #11
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
She was realistic.
It's so not realistic for "Roseanne Conner."

Roseanne BARR is being condescending and hypocritical because this is so out of character for "Roseanne Conner."

Roseanne Barr is appeasing the masses. I had high hopes for this revival. Now I hope it tanks.
Wawwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #12
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Roseanne Barr hopes to screen the Roseanne reboot for President Trump
“Of course,” she told The Hollywood Reporter. “Are you kidding me? I would hope that he would have good food.”
Old 03-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #13
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions
Half the country voted for Trump? Uh, Roseanne, are you sure you have you looked at the election results? Only like 46.1% did, I wouldn't call that half...he didn't even win the popular vote.
I certainly didn't-- in fact, I voted against both candidates and went third-party for Johnson (granted, a "wasted vote" in the eyes of many, but still, I felt personally that both Trump and Clinton would be more the wasted votes than Johnson)!
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
bmasters9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #14
king of comedy

I didn't vote for him either. Thank God!
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
QTMcWhiskers
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesgirl
Well I have to say it's relevant right now. That said, it will be interesting to see how they tackle it. It might be a little too polarizing.
People felt the same way about that other show, from 1971... "All in the Family".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie
It's so not realistic for "Roseanne Conner."

Roseanne BARR is being condescending and hypocritical because this is so out of character for "Roseanne Conner."

Roseanne Barr is appeasing the masses. I had high hopes for this revival. Now I hope it tanks.
What were people expecting Roseanne Barr to do?
QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote