Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Roseanne links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Roseanne Photo Gallery

Roseanne - The Complete First Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Second Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Third Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fourth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Fifth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Sixth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Seventh Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Eighth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Ninth Season (Mill Creek) on DVD
Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Roseanne - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Roseanne

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Artistwithmanymuses
Occasional Poster

Default David an absent father. Hard to believe

So it's been confirmed that David will appear in episode 5 of season 10 for Harris's birthday. That he's been absent from his kids lives. Whintney said that David has made mistakes since Mark's death. And that he has a very strained relationship with the rest of the conners.

Kinda of hard to learn that David who was treated like nothing by his own parents. Would end up not being a big part of his kid's lives. Guess we just have to wait for episode 5 to come out on the 17th.
Artistwithmanymuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
TV Guy

Continuity is not this revival’s strong suit. In last night’s episode, Roseanne grabs her granddaughter Harris and sticks her head under a faucet. In the old episodes, Roseanne was firmly against physical punishment, because her father had hit her as a child.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
KRW
One Bad Mother Funker
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
Continuity is not this revivalís strong suit. In last nightís episode, Roseanne grabs her granddaughter Harris and sticks her head under a faucet. In the old episodes, Roseanne was firmly against physical punishment, because her father had hit her as a child.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of her doing that. It was strongly against the characters nature. Sure she would yell louder than all hell, but she'd never do that. That's just me though. I've never been a big fan of that style punishment and never will.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=369240
KRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Artistwithmanymuses
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy
Continuity is not this revivalís strong suit. In last nightís episode, Roseanne grabs her granddaughter Harris and sticks her head under a faucet. In the old episodes, Roseanne was firmly against physical punishment, because her father had hit her as a child.
I hate that she did that. The continuity in the revival is starting to bother me. I mean In season 8 becky was planning to go to college so how could she have done that without a dipolma. As we learned in ep 1 of season 10 she never finished high school. And now the punishment harris got it's un-nerving to see someone who was against punishment all of a sudden start punishing someone.
Artistwithmanymuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
QTMcWhiskers
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistwithmanymuses
So it's been confirmed that David will appear in episode 5 of season 10 for Harris's birthday. That he's been absent from his kids lives. Whintney said that David has made mistakes since Mark's death. And that he has a very strained relationship with the rest of the conners.

Kinda of hard to learn that David who was treated like nothing by his own parents. Would end up not being a big part of his kid's lives. Guess we just have to wait for episode 5 to come out on the 17th.
In real life, the actor is on a show that should have ended a year or two ago and is missing out on a fresher revival.

In the show, from the 2 episodes I've seen so far, Darlene's preferences are given, complete with token whine about having no partner. NOTHING has been said about David, just Darlene mewling over having no partner and acting like he's never existed. So far, not a good sign. Episode 5 will reveal more context in which the viewers will get to deliberate over. I've suspicions on how it might play out, but maybe they'll surprise and not make it as a pandering piece to make Darlene a saint and utterly vilify David, which seems hard to believe given what the show has brought up so far.

But at the same time, the original "Roseanne" show did use misandry in later seasons. I'm wondering how episode 5 will misuse David. I'd bet more money on that than on any other possibility.

Quote:
I hate that she did that. The continuity in the revival is starting to bother me. I mean In season 8 becky was planning to go to college so how could she have done that without a dipolma. As we learned in ep 1 of season 10 she never finished high school. And now the punishment harris got it's un-nerving to see someone who was against punishment all of a sudden start punishing someone.

Didn't Roseanne Connor's novel (per series finale) say that everything in seasons 3-9 or 4-9 didn't happen? The book is mentioned briefly in season 10. It is possible she didn't graduate in the end and was just a chapter in The Connor Novel.
QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
TheLittleFairy
Frequent Poster

Just as to me it's hard to believe Roseanne is talking in favor of SPANKING! Since when did she become a total Right wing nut?
TheLittleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleFairy
Just as to me it's hard to believe Roseanne is talking in favor of SPANKING! Since when did she become a total Right wing nut?

Yeah! Only left wing nuts are allowed on TV!

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
TV Guy

Quote:
The continuity in the revival is starting to bother me. I mean In season 8 becky was planning to go to college so how could she have done that without a dipolma. As we learned in ep 1 of season 10 she never finished high school. And now the punishment harris got it's un-nerving to see someone who was against punishment all of a sudden start punishing someone.
Iím not buying Beckyís fate at all. Becky was always smart and ambitious when Lecy played the role. Remember when Darlene said in season 5, ďI donít like school like Becky, I donít do good laundry like Becky, and I donít sleep with my boyfriend like Becky!Ē

Now, Becky is a high school dropout in a dead end job, in debt. Sheís only around to be laughed at. It would have been much more interesting if Becky HAD made something of herself, and maybe even looked down on the familiy a bit. Becky the snob would make for better comedy than Becky the loser.

Last edited by TV Guy; 04-06-2018 at 04:10 AM.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #9
Impressions
She died the way she lived

Season 3-9 was Roseanne's novel and season 10 is a continuation of that novel, or some kinda meta sequel? It has to be, Harris is only 16 years old when chronologically, she should be like 21. Speaking of Harris, I thought the shower spa scene was a little over the top, even for Roseanne, but it was harmless, it's not like she hit her... overacting much?

Yeah, everyone's fate about how hard it is to make ends meet is bull, and feels forced. Surely, one of the Conners was successful? Darlene and Becky are smart, so yes, it's hard to believe that they're in their current situation, but I think they made it that way for the sake of the plot. The writers keep trying to give them obstacles and barriers to keep the family together.

I also don't buy that a small town like Landford has an Uber service and Roseanne is one of the drivers, but they're going to make it happen to keep it current (although I found out Evansville does an Uber service, so maybe it's possible?).

I'm interested to see what David's mistakes are and how he fell a part and I'm also want to see what happened to Mark and how he died. I hope to also hear about the other legacy characters and their children in the upcoming episodes.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
JSP

This whole show does seem a lot more Conservative than a Season 9 episode I just saw on YouTube. Roseanne is now a Conservative instead of a liberal, but people do change. This country has moved more to the right in the 21 years since Roseanne originally ended. I don’t think it’s uncharacteristic of Roseanne to get more Conservative as she got older; lots of people have done that, like Frank Sinatra or Charleton Heston. This show is meant to be nostalgia for older folks who saw the original run. It’s not intended to be young and hip. As I said before, advertisers know people under 35 have no money these days, so they’ll appeal to older people with money. Older people are generally more Conservative. That’s life.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote