Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soap links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Soap Photo Gallery

Soap - The Complete First Season

Buy Soap - The Complete First Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Second Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Third Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Series

Buy Soap - The Complete Series on DVD
Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Soap

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Robert Mandan (Chester Tate) 1932 - 2018

Link

It was with great sadness that I heard my friend Bob Mandan had passed away. I donít have the words to fully express yet another loss of a good friend, so I will just repost a birthday blog I wrote six years ago. Rest peacefully, Mandan.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

May he rest in peace. He was funny in the role of Chester and the other roles he played! Sad to hear of his passing!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

One of the best things about Soap (and there were many).

RIP Mr. Mandan.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Default Robert Mandan, the Womanizing Chester Tate on 'Soap,' Dies at 86

He played white-collar types on other shows including 'Three's Company,' 'Private Benjamin' and 'The Facts of Life.'

Link

Robert Mandan, the veteran television actor who starred as Chester Tate, the philandering husband of Katherine Helmond's character, on the ABC daytime-serial spoof Soap, has died. He was 86.

Mandan died April 29 in Los Angeles after a long illness, his friend, playwright and screenwriter Gary Goldstein, told The Hollywood Reporter. Mandan starred in Goldstein's first play, Just Men, at the Stella Adler Theater in Hollywood in 1996.

Mandan, who often played suits and white-collar types during his long career, also portrayed the wealthy investment banker James Bradford at the end of ABC's Three's Company and on its 1984-85 spinoff, Three's a Crowd.

Mandan also was the bombastic Col. Lawrence Fielding on the CBS adaptation of Private Benjamin, and his doctor character married Mrs. Garrett (Charlotte Rae) on NBC's The Facts of Life and whisked her away to the Peace Corps.

Mandan had worked on such soap operas as The Edge of Night, From These Roots and Search for Tomorrow when he was hired to play Chester, a conniving Wall Street stock broker, on Soap.

Susan Harris created the sitcom, which aired for four seasons, from 1977-81, and spawned the Robert Robert Guillaume-starring Benson. The show, always a critical darling, was a top 10 hit in its first season but suffered in the ratings as it was moved around the schedule.

Mandan and Helmond reunited for two episodes of her next series, Who's the Boss? and for a 2002 production of A Twilight Romance at the Falcon Theatre in Burbank. He also returned to the soap opera world with gigs on Santa Barbara, Days of Our Lives and General Hospital.

His other notable TV work included playing an unctuous attorney on All in the Family and a homosexual friend of Bea Arthur's character on Maude, and he appeared on Sanford and Son, Barney Miller, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Married Ö With Children as well.

A native of Clever, Mo., Mandan grew up in Southern California and majored in theater at Pomona College. He got a big break when veteran actor Edward Arnold pushed for him to star alongside him in a production of All My Sons in Palm Springs.

Mandan made his Broadway debut in 1956 in Speaking of Murder, directed by Delbert Mann, and he worked with Lauren Bacall in the original 1970 production of the Betty Comden-Adolph Green musical Applause.

On the big screen, Mandan played a senator in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) and appeared in other films including Hickey & Boggs (1972), MacArthur (1977) and, as a principal, in Zapped! (1982).

He did lots of local theater late in his career, Goldstein noted.

Survivors include his wife, Sherry.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

R.I.P. Robert. So many great roles. Soap, TAC, Private Benjamin. I loved them all.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
thebigcookie

Sad to hear he passed. I just wonder why did it take so long to report his death? If he died April 29, why are we just now hearing about it a little over a month later?
thebigcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcookie
Sad to hear he passed. I just wonder why did it take so long to report his death? If he died April 29, why are we just now hearing about it a little over a month later?
Good question. RIP Robert Mandan I wished we had heard about it earlier. He'll be missed.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:46 AM   #8
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcookie
It could've been a family decision or a request by Mr. Mandan to delay any announcement of his passing until his arrangements had been completed. The most likely reason is privacy concerns. Some have been known to have their death made public much later such as Beth Howland who died Dec 31, 2015, but her husband waited 5 months at her request before announcing it.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
JR1
Forum Regular

RIP, RM- 86 is not a bad run at all. He'll always be Chester Tate- or is it Lester Plate? Or maybe Marlene Dietrich, Gunga Din or Gloria Swanson.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
burtnmary
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Link

It was with great sadness that I heard my friend Bob Mandan had passed away. I donít have the words to fully express yet another loss of a good friend, so I will just repost a birthday blog I wrote six years ago. Rest peacefully, Mandan.
NOOOOOOOO!!!! Well...I guess he and my mama are having a great time reliving old Soap memories. She loved Soap so much. RIP Robert (Lester Pate) Mandan
burtnmary is offline   Reply With Quote