Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Family Matters Back on TBS; Caroline Rhea to Headline Showtime Comedy Special
The Last O.G. Returns to TBS on April 7; He-Man Gets All-Star Cast on Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 17, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: CSI Limited Series for the 20th Anniversary?; ABC Orders Comedy Pilots
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens; HBO's Avenue 5 Gets 2nd Season
The Mighty Ducks Returning as Series on Disney+; NBC Sets More Mid-Season Series
NBC Renews Superstore for Season 6; UK Comedy Receives 2nd Season Before US Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January/February)

Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series

12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2020, 04:30 AM   #241
RaidenKhan
Frequent Poster

Add me to the growing contingent annoyed with how this is being handled. I actually think it's a mistake. Look at how HLN is handling this Forensic Files relaunch next month: same format, same music, same feel, just new cases. Taking advantage of the popularity and the nostalgia by, you know, actually recreating what people liked about the show. What is the point of trying to coast on name recognition by releasing a product that bears no resemblance to the original? It baffles me that executives seem to repeatedly not understand this.

Bring back the original music, the quality and intrigue of the cases covered, the look and mood of the segments, and get Dennis Haysbert as host (kudos to whoever it was on here who floated that brilliant suggestion), and people will love it. On the other hand, release some hostless, I.D.-quality, Unsolved Mysteries-in-name-only tripe and it will come and go in the blink of an eye. Just because you call something by a certain name doesn't make it so.

Cheers,
Matt
RaidenKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #242
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenKhan View Post
Add me to the growing contingent annoyed with how this is being handled. I actually think it's a mistake. Look at how HLN is handling this Forensic Files relaunch next month: same format, same music, same feel, just new cases. Taking advantage of the popularity and the nostalgia by, you know, actually recreating what people liked about the show. What is the point of trying to coast on name recognition by releasing a product that bears no resemblance to the original? It baffles me that executives seem to repeatedly not understand tthis.

Bring back the original music, the quality and intrigue of the cases covered, the look and mood of the segments, and get Dennis Haysbert as host (kudos to whoever it was on here who floated that brilliant suggestion), and people will love it. On the other hand, release some hostless, I.D.-quality, Unsolved Mysteries-in-name-only tripe and it will come and go in the blink of an eye. Just because you call something by a certain name doesn't make it so.

Cheers,
Matt

Amen!!
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #243
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Add me to the growing contingent annoyed with how this is being handled. I actually think it's a mistake. Look at how HLN is handling this Forensic Files relaunch next month: same format, same music, same feel, just new cases. Taking advantage of the popularity and the nostalgia by, you know, actually recreating what people liked about the show. What is the point of trying to coast on name recognition by releasing a product that bears no resemblance to the original? It baffles me that executives seem to repeatedly not understand this.

Cheers,
Matt

This!
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #244
tarheelslim
Forum Regular

Quote:
There's no way that that is going to be the look/feel of this show. They could've made the whole season in a month if that's what they were going for. Those shows are a dime a dozen and Netflix wouldn't need to waste their time on something like that when there are already entire networks devoted to cranking out that stuff.

If they tried to recreate the Stack era, that would be an almost guaranteed failure. I think it is smart that they're trying to figure out a way to carry the franchise into the future without the monumental presence of The Stack (which cannot be reproduced by just throwing a similar guy in there). I look forward to seeing what they've come up with.
tarheelslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #245
RaidenKhan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelslim View Post
If they tried to recreate the Stack era, that would be an almost guaranteed failure.
Agree to disagree.
I think success or failure would depend entirely on the choice of host and the quality of the segments. Of course it could never be the same, because Stack is irreplaceable. But does that mean you have to release something that bears zero resemblance to the show people loved, while disengenuously using that show's name?

It would be different enough by default, due to the passage of time, technology, and a new host. They don't have to try to reinvent it from the ground up. This never works.

Cheers,
Matt
RaidenKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #246
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Similarly to UM, In Search Of... has three iterations.
The original is a classic. Nemoy and the creepy 70's sound mixing is a unique brand.

The 2002 Mitch Pileggi revival is right on par with the Dennis Farina UM revival. Almost none of the original identity was preserved. They feel soul-less, just going through the motions. Neither of these iterations invokes the power of the originals.

I've only watched some of the forbidden site trailers for the 2018 Zach Quinto revival, but as you can see from the advertisement, they are incorporating some of the original aesthetic. Here's a quote from Quinto via Variety:

"Whereas Leonard was the host of ďIn Search ofĒ in a very traditional way ó welcoming the audience in from a studio, oftentimes in a sort of blazer and turtleneck vibe, and then handing it off to a prerecorded segment that delved into whatever topic they were exploring ó I wanted to be on the ground. I wanted to have the audienceís experience of the show be firsthand and through my eyes, and so that was number one. I wanted to be on the ground; I wanted to travel; I wanted to conduct interviews myself, and I was grateful that my partners at Propagate [Content] and Fremantle and Universal were open to that. That was the launching point, and then ó in terms of partnering with History and figuring out what searches we were going to embark upon ó that became a different conversation about how much do we want to honor where the show came from, and how much do we want to take it in a new direction."

The Netflix UM revival will not be the NBC UM. Even with the proliferation of fictional narratives taking place in the 80s and 90s in current media, it will never be able to capture that zeitgeist. Remember: Nostalgia intentionally gets things wrong, and that's mostly because of the way humans tend to remember things (rosily).

I think the more important question to ask is, "Will I enjoy this?"
Or alternatively, "Will this show be successful in finding missing persons and tracking down fugitives?"

I'm a huge fan of Dawn of the Dead (1978). I also enjoy Dawn of the Dead (2004). While the latter does not have the existential depth of the former, I can still appreciate them both, as they were passionately produced and well articulated.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #247
drew790
Forum Regular

The Quinto version is enjoyable.

For me, I never expected to tune into 1980s UM on Netflix. I don't think that was ever a realistic expectation. What I had hoped for was an updated version in that vein. Creepy but modern music, reenactments, something to creep me TF out with modern filming techniques, and a suitable host to guide me through it.

After botching the format so badly in 2008 with weird psudo rock music, scan lines, and google earth, I'd hoped they'd have learned to stick with what works but update it. DOesn't sound like that's the case, but whenever this thing airs I'll still be watching.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #248
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
Doesn't sound like that's the case, but whenever this thing airs I'll still be watching.
I'll be watching as well. However, my track record with modern television isn't so good. Basically WestWorld and Rick & Morty are the only modern shows I like.
Chichester Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #249
jOHnNyD
Frequent Poster

You canít replace Robert Stack but if you put in a Dennis Haysbert, keep the same music and have 4 mysteries per episode of various themes I think it has the potential to work. I think itís a mistake to have 1 story per episode. A unique feature of unsolved mysteries is you would go from a UFO story to a lost love segment to a murder. That made UM what it truly is as much as Robert Stack.
jOHnNyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:36 AM   #250
Souldriver5440
Occasional Poster

Hey could somebody pm the link to this forbidden site. I’m not a narc just a huge fan. What kind of test do you have to pass to find out?!
Souldriver5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #251
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldriver5440 View Post
Hey could somebody pm the link to this forbidden site. Iím not a narc just a huge fan. What kind of test do you have to pass to find out?!
The forbidden site is YouTube. For years, posting links to UM videos on YT was prohibited, though now that the series has been uploaded to YT, it's not such a big deal as it used to be.

I and a few others still refer to YT as the "forbidden site" because it amuses us, I suppose.
Chichester Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #252
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldriver5440 View Post
Hey could somebody pm the link to this forbidden site. Iím not a narc just a huge fan. What kind of test do you have to pass to find out?!
ďIím not a narcĒ I love it. LMAO
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #253
alistaircranium
Forum Regular

I’m pro-no host because no one is going to be able to fill Robert Stack’s shoes. They’ve already tried that and it didn’t work.

I just hope they will use the classic music (but re-recorded for 2020).
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #254
tarheelslim
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
I just hope they will use the classic music (but re-recorded for 2020).
I'm willing to bet this is exactly what they do. It makes the most sense because that is the most identifiable feature of the classic (alongside The Stack).
tarheelslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #255
alistaircranium
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelslim View Post
I'm willing to bet this is exactly what they do. It makes the most sense because that is the most identifiable feature of the classic (alongside The Stack).
Iím also hoping for a title sequence and graphics similar to the original. Maybe they can play up the retro 80s feel in a way that speaks to a modern audience.

Iím curious if future seasons will edit updates (if there are any) into the Netflix episodes or if updates would air at the end of new episodes. I could also see Netflix releasing updates separately.
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote