Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2010s Sitcoms > Marry Me

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Officially Orders Katey Sagal Series, Cancels Stumptown; SNL Goes Live All October
CBS All Access to Rebrand as Paramount+ in 2021; Fox Says Let's Be Real About Election
Netflix Announces Good Times Animated Comedy; More Details on Fresh Prince Reunion on HBO Max
Disney+ Orders Doogie Kameāloha, M.D.; TBS Version of Wipeout Announces Hosts
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 14, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Prince Reunion Brings Unexpected Pair Back Together; Doogie Howser Reboot Officially Picked Up
Fri-Yay: Sister, Sister Soars on Netflix; ABC Comedies Returning October 21 for New Seasons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August/September)

Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven Will & Grace - The Revival -Season Three - The Farewell Season Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season

06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season
07/21 - The Thundermans - Season 1 / Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4
07/21 - The Unicorn - Season One
07/28 - The Thundermans - Season 1-4 Bundle
08/04 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Eighth Season
08/04 - The Neighborhood - Season One
08/11 - Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens - Season 1
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
09/01 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
09/29 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (2020 Release)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
TJ
Owner
Administrator

Default NBC Fall Pilot Review: Marry Me - Premieres October 14

Marry Me - Tuesdays at 9:00PM ET/PT on NBC
Premieres Tuesday, October 14, 2014 at 9:00PM ET/PT

Six years ago, Annie and Jake bonded over their mutual love of nachos and they've been inseparable ever since. Now, after returning from a romantic two-week island vacation, Jake's all set to pop the question. Before he can ask, though, Annie lets loose on Jake for his inability to commit. She was expecting him to "put a ring on it" in paradise and now Jake's perfect proposal is ruined. Not wanting to spend the next 60 years talking about that mess of a proposal, Jake and Annie decide to hold off on the engagement until they can do it right.

Read our review here:
http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2014/1...-marry-me.html
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

I have my DVR all set to record this one, can't wait to watch it when I get home.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Why Marry Me And About A Boy Shouldn't Be Airing Next To Each Other

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...her-67845.html

Quote:
NBC spent a good chunk of the summer rebuilding its comedy lineup. The network only has four comedies airing this fall, with two of those landing on Thursday nights and two airing on Tuesday nights. With those limited options, you would think that NBC would be capable of matching up its comedies with ease. However, tonightís premieres of Marry Me and About a Boy prove to be an oddball fit.

Marry Meís premiere follows Annie (Casey Wilson) and Jake (Ken Marino) as they try to work through two botched proposals that almost break off their relationship. About A Boyís Season 2 premiere picks up with Will (David Walton) in New York searching for the perfect bagel. He soon travels back to San Francisco to deal with some money problems and ends up helping his teenaged friend Marcus (Benjamin Stockham) and his mom Fiona (Minnie Driver) deal with some bullies. He also gets involved with a friend's vasectomy along the way.

Both comedies are a little quirky and neither feature a laugh track, but thatís about where the similarities end. About a Boy is a charming comedy thatís less about romance and more about life lessons while Marry Me is basically a walk through a coupleís relationship, featuring flashback scenes and plenty of grating, uncomfortable moments related to relationship troubles. In many ways, Marry Me is a better fit for either of the comedy programs the network is airing on Thursday nights.

Thereís Bad Judge, a comedy that matches up with Marry Me in that it has plenty of cringe-inducing moments and features female protagonists that occasionally donít have their acts together. Thereís also A-to-Z, another new comedy NBC is trying on for size this fall, and it actually seems to be the natural pairing for Marry Me. Besides the fact that both Marry Me and A-to-Z follow some semblance of the romantic comedy setup, with a couple of best friends thrown in to add personality, both also employ flashback sequences.
Neither of NBCís Thursday night shows really match up, either, and I have no idea how NBC came to the lineup conclusion that it ended up rolling with. On network TV, opposites donít really attract.

Marry Me doesnít offer the most engaging pilot. The show, from former Happy Endings creator David Caspe, is about two characters who have dated for six years and are just getting around to getting engaged. Wilsonís Annie rules the pilot, shuffling between playing a stifled 30-something and a woman who has a trouble controlling her emotions and the word vomit related to those feelings. These leaves Ken Marino, who wrote Role Models and has crushed on comedies like Party Down and Eastbound & Down, with very little to do.

There are a lot of characters and personalities that need to be introduced in any given pilot episode, and in time, the kinks could be worked out. It will certainly take more than one episode to get a feel for Wilson and Marinoís characters, and by then Marry Me might find the same niche audience that Happy Endings had. I know one thing for certain. If NBCís comedy lineup had played out in literally any different amalgamation, the show would have an easier time of it. Few About A Boy fans are going to tune in early for a maddening comedy about an incompetent couple who isnít often on the same page, and it's hard to imagine Marry Me's fans sticking around for the long haul, either.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote