Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Step by Step links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Step by Step Photo Gallery

Step by Step - The Complete First Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete First Season on DVD
Step by Step - The Complete Second Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

Buy Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Step by Step

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Junkie

Question How popular was Step by Step at its peak

It did run for seven seasons, but Step by Step doesn't seem to be talk about too much anymore when compared to other TGIF-era shows like Full House, Family Matters, or Boy Meets World. Then again, Step by Step to the best of my knowledge, was not syndicated as long as those other those, and only really aired reruns on ABC Family and later The Hub. Plus, most of the actors quit/retired from acting after the show finished (Christine Lakin among the kids being the most notable exception), so it's naturally a bit harder for the show to remain in the public's consciousness if there's no real breakout star.

Last edited by TMC; 03-03-2021 at 05:11 AM.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:33 AM   #2
Mace Dolex

It must have been somewhat popular for it to stay on TGIF as long as it did but it was basically coasting along the tails of Family Matters, interestingly enough I just got done watching the entire series on Hulu because I never got around to seeing the last year when it moved to CBS.

It has its funny moments but it never gets as sappy like Full House, resident goofball Cody can get irritating but not so much as Steve Urkel, but in all honesty I always had a thing for Christine Lakin she got so hot as the show continued.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #3
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

I remember watching it sometimes. I thought it was a pretty high-profile series for ABC.
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
irehtman
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
It did run for seven seasons, but Step by Step doesn't seem to be talk about too much anymore when compared to other TGIF-era shows like Full House, Family Matters, or Boy Meets World. Then again, Step by Step to the best of my knowledge, was not syndicated as long as those other those, and only really aired reruns on ABC Family and later The Hub. Plus, most of the actors quit/retired from acting after the show finished (Christine Lakin among the kids being the most notable exception), so it's naturally a bit harder for the show to remain in the public's consciousness if there's no real breakout star.
Yeah I know, but don't forget that actress Staci Keanan moved on from acting to being lawyer. But since Staci is already married, she wants to also concentrate on her own new family in privacy.
irehtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
TMC
Forum Junkie

I wonder if Step by Step may have fallen out of favor to most of the general public because it's a show that really hasn't aged too well. I don't know how to properly or fully explain it other than it was often very '80s in style and humor even though it premiered in the fall of 1991.

Last edited by TMC; 03-03-2021 at 05:11 AM.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Addict

Not too popular since the show never did as well as Family matters during its 7 year run

1991-92

Family Matters #28
Step by Step #35

1992-93

Family Matters-#32
Step by Step #33

1993-94

Family Matters-#28
Step by Step-#34

1994-95

Family Matters-#34
Step by Step-#39

1995-96

Family Matters-#42
Step by Step-#54

1996-97

Family Matters-#-50
Step by Step-#61

1997-98

Family Matters-#108
Step by Step-#110
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
JO Sweet Heart
Forum Veteran

To me, Sasha Mitchell should've been allowed to do the entire final season instead of just one episode. In my opinion, there was a huge gap in the cast when Bronson Pinchot left to go and do the show named Meego.

God bless you and him and Sasha always!!!

Holly
Old 03-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO Sweet Heart View Post
To me, Sasha Mitchell should've been allowed to do the entire final season instead of just one episode. In my opinion, there was a huge gap in the cast when Bronson Pinchot left to go and do the show named Meego.

God bless you and him and Sasha always!!!

Holly
At the time, Sasha Mitchell was accused of domestic abuse and was later convicted. They simply couldn't have a wife-beater on the series, in a regular role.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
JO Sweet Heart
Forum Veteran

^^^ When the powers that be knew that the show would be coming to its end, Sasha should've been able to be a part of all that was left, especially when his every move away from the camera was in defense of his children. 2002 is when he told the Entertainment Tonight TV show about what had really been going on in his personal life back in those days, but I do not know when his ex-wife was finally labeled the unfit mother that she truly was. To me, Sasha was given a complete and total raw deal and in my opinion, he should've sued that woman for character defamation because all that she was guilty of ruined him.

God bless you and him and his family always!!!

Holly
JO Sweet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:23 AM   #10
LaBestia
Jeff Goldblum is my sweetheart
Forum Veteran

I cannot figure out how in the world Step By Step became a hit lasting for seven seasons. I think it was simply a way for ABC to get Miller-Boyett Productions to create another sitcom that would be as successful as Family Matters and Full House for the TGIF lineup and when Step By Step debuted in 1991 ABC had that chance to prove themselves that they were the king of sitcoms thanks to Miller-Boyett Productions. But I think in my eyes Step By Step was just a way to jumpstart the careers of Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy as well as making a comeback for Staci Keanan after My Two Dads ended in 1990. But when you look at the general picture I think ABC was really hoping that Step By Step would be as big as Growing Pains was when it was launched in 1985. But what I think ruined Step By Step and caused it to go downhill was just like Growing Pains when they added baby Chrissy Step By Step added a baby and it caused the show to go downhill and it proves that when sitcoms add babies to the cast it makes the show worse. But a second factor was moving Step By Step to CBS and it really hurt ABC terribly that CBS decided to air their show along with Family Matters but ever Step By Step reruns left The Hub I don't think we will see Step By Step reruns return to TV again because it didn't have a big enough fanbase and didn't do well in reruns
Bestie
Old 03-15-2021, 03:26 AM   #11
TVFactFan
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia View Post
I cannot figure out how in the world Step By Step became a hit lasting for seven seasons. I think it was simply a way for ABC to get Miller-Boyett Productions to create another sitcom that would be as successful as Family Matters and Full House for the TGIF lineup and when Step By Step debuted in 1991 ABC had that chance to prove themselves that they were the king of sitcoms thanks to Miller-Boyett Productions. But I think in my eyes Step By Step was just a way to jumpstart the careers of Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy as well as making a comeback for Staci Keanan after My Two Dads ended in 1990. But when you look at the general picture I think ABC was really hoping that Step By Step would be as big as Growing Pains was when it was launched in 1985. But what I think ruined Step By Step and caused it to go downhill was just like Growing Pains when they added baby Chrissy Step By Step added a baby and it caused the show to go downhill and it proves that when sitcoms add babies to the cast it makes the show worse. But a second factor was moving Step By Step to CBS and it really hurt ABC terribly that CBS decided to air their show along with Family Matters but ever Step By Step reruns left The Hub I don't think we will see Step By Step reruns return to TV again because it didn't have a big enough fanbase and didn't do well in reruns
Bestie

I dont think it was in the HIT category
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote