Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Courtship of Eddie's Father Online / The Courtship of Eddie's Father links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Courtship of Eddie's Father Photo Gallery

The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete First Season

Buy The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete First Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete Second Season on DVD (WBShop.com)
(Amazon.com)
The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete Third Season on DVD (WBShop.com)(
Amazon.com)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Courtship of Eddie's Father

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #61
tv star collector
I Love Susie

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitooey
Poor Bill he suffered alot. I would've taken care of him if he were with me and I would not left him alone in his final days. That wife didn't love him..........

Brenda Benet was sooooo pretty I saw her on an episode of Love Boat. I think Bill played opposite her in it too.
It is both poignant and now ironic that, in the Incredible Hulk episode
"The Psychic," Brenda Benet's character talks a distraught David Banner out
of committing suicide.
tv star collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #62
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv star collector
It is both poignant and now ironic that, in the Incredible Hulk episode
"The Psychic," Brenda Benet's character talks a distraught David Banner out
of committing suicide.
Which season did that air? I'd like to see it. I feel so sad about her whole story. From every account I've read, Christopher was the light of Brenda's life, and after the first anniversary of his passing occured, she reached the point of no return.

Ironically, Brenda appeared in the original Walking Tall with another actress who later killed herself - Elizabeth Hartman. Both talented and beautiful ladies - how sad they had to suffer the way they did.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #63
tv star collector
I Love Susie

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Which season did that air? I'd like to see it. I feel so sad about her whole story. From every account I've read, Christopher was the light of Brenda's life, and after the first anniversary of his passing occured, she reached the point of no return.

Ironically, Brenda appeared in the original Walking Tall with another actress who later killed herself - Elizabeth Hartman. Both talented and beautiful ladies - how sad they had to suffer the way they did.
"The Psychic" is from Season 3. It originally aired on CBS on Feb. 22, 1980.
Outstanding episode.
tv star collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #64
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Rock Chic
Does anyone ever look back at their old threads (or posts) and just cringe?
This statement above is a perfect example of what I mean!!!! Oy Vey
Yeahhhhhh
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #65
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
I am glad that I am not the only person who fell in love with Bill, while he was on My Favorite Martian. And, yes, I agree, he looked amazing in those aviator glasses...
Add the 'Vette from The Magician...woohoo! lol
Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #66
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

The Magician was a good show. It's too bad that it didn't last long.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #67
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Bixby did not live a charmed life; his father died within weeks of his wedding to Brenda Benet; then him and Brenda divorced, the death of their only child, then she commits suicide. Bixby then married for a 2nd time, but once his wife finds out that he has cancer, she decides that she cannot handle being married to a man who is faced with such a challenge, she leaves him (by sending him a note); then, Bill loses her battle with cancer at the age of 59. I just know that he is in a better place with his son, Christopher Sean
That woman won the award for biggest bitch ever to live for that move. What a worthless whore.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #68
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood Fan
The Magician was a good show. It's too bad that it didn't last long.
I can't get into it like Hulk, but it wasn't a bad show at all.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #69
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitooey
Poor Bill he suffered alot. I would've taken care of him if he were with me and I would not left him alone in his final days. That wife didn't love him..........

Brenda Benet was sooooo pretty I saw her on an episode of Love Boat. I think Bill played opposite her in it too.
Yeah...I have that one. They also played opposite each other in an episode of The Magician and one of COEF.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #70
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

I wish I could find where I read this or saw it...anyway, I have it in my head that Bill's ashes were scattered in or near Hana, Maui, Hawaii? Or that's where Judith has/had a home. Anyway, holy crap, what a rough trip, but we drove there in March. Little nothing town, but it was kind of neat just being there. Too bad it was raining.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #71
Dusty's Fan

I've read that in some of Brenda's final work on a soap, the storyline involved the death of a child, and this rekindled her distraught state of mind regarding her son's death -- affecting her deeply and leading to her suicide. I'm trying to verify that story and find details.

Such a sad thing, especially if possibly she had begun to heal to some extent.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #72
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

RIP Bill, Brenda and Christopher:
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #73
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Fan
I've read that in some of Brenda's final work on a soap, the storyline involved the death of a child, and this rekindled her distraught state of mind regarding her son's death -- affecting her deeply and leading to her suicide. I'm trying to verify that story and find details.

Such a sad thing, especially if possibly she had begun to heal to some extent.
I saw on youtube a clip of one of her last Days' eps. I couldn't tell what the whole plot was, but her character was scared to death of Stefano over something.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #74
musicismylife3
I WANT THIS BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
That woman won the award for biggest bitch ever to live for that move. What a worthless whore.
And, she was scary looking, too!!! What the hell was Bill thinking?
musicismylife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #75
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I already posted this on the thread entitled "Brenda Benet", but decided to post it on this thread as well:

This is from the book Soap Opera Babylon (by Jason Bonderoff, published in 1987), in the chapter "Death Wish":

Another daytimer with a death wish, Brenda Benet, wasn't quite so lucky. On April 7, 1982, the Days of Our Lives star was found dead in the guest bathroom of her Los Angeles home. When the police broke down the bathroom door, they found her lying on the rug, clutching a .38 caliber gun. The coroner's report later revealed that she had killed herself by shooting a bullet through her open mouth. The bullet had ricocheted off a tooth and gone right through her head.

The world at large was shocked, but friends and family were hardly surprised. The 37-year-old actress, one of the most tormented souls to ever grace a soap, had been emotionally unstable for some time. Her despondency had grown even worse since the death of her 6-year-old son, Christopher, just thirteen months before. Taking her life was merely the final step of a long, dark journey. By April 1982, when Brenda died, her life had become unbearable. As she saw it, death was the only chance off the merry-go-round.

When Brenda first came to Hollywood, nobody could have predicted such a tragic end for her. Beautiful and talented, she seemed destined for stardom, and Hollywood's most eligible bachelors flocked around her. In short order, she married Paul Peterson, who had starred on The Donna Reed Show, but later divorced him and wed another actor, Bill Bixby. While Bill scored major successes with The Courtship of Eddie's Father and The Incredible Hulk, Brenda seemed content to stay on the sidelines and let her career slide. She was particularly devoted to their young son, Christopher, and wasn't anxious to leave him. But when her 7-year marriage to Bixby fell by the wayside in the summer of 1979, Brenda accepted the role of Lee Carmichael on Days of Our Lives.

Nevertheless, Christopher remained her first priority. "Being a mother is the most challenging thing I've ever done," she said. "Christopher's so bright and sensitive - he's the joy of my life. I've never known anyone like him."

The contrast between Brenda, the off-screen devoted mother and on-screen dragon lady was startling indeed. Sometimes, it seemed, Brenda herself had a hard time deciding who she really was. From the moment she made her first entrance on Days of Our Lives, fans were enthralled with her villainous TV character, who was carnal and conniving, and a little of Lee Carmichael began to rub off on Brenda. Backstage, according to reports, Brenda began to act out a very parallel script. She fought bitterly with one castmate and had an adulterous affair with another. She earned a reputation for being high-strung and temperamental, although no one ever questioned her talent. Brenda dominated every scene she was in.

Meanwhile, her private life was becoming a real soap opera, too. Her bitter divorce from Bill Bixby made banner headlines. Brenda petitioned the court to put out a restraining order on her soon-to-be ex-husband, preventing him from claiming any of their community property. She claimed that he wanted to remove the furniture from their luxurious home in the Mandeville Canyon section of Los Angeles. Since the separation, Bixby divided his time between a plush one-bedroom apartment at Universal Studios, where he filmed The Incredible Hulk, and a fully furnished yacht which he kept anchored at a nearby marina. According to Brenda, he was livinng as well, if not better, than she and Christopher were, and had no need to take any of the furniture in the Mandeville Canyon house. She told the court, "He is an extremely well-paid entertainer who could well afford to rent furniture."

Despite their well-published disputes, both parents were united on one thing - their love for their son. Brenda was granted custody of the boy, but Bill remained close to him, too. Bill was adamant about one thing - that his son not be allowed to watch any episodes of The Incredible Hulk. He worried that if Christopher saw him transform every week from mild-mannered David Bruce Banner into his Hulk persona - a gargantuan, ugly, green monster - it might give him nightmares.

However, a much more devastating scenario lay in store than anyone could have foreseen. The most unexpected nightmare of all occured in March 1981 when Brenda decided to take Christopher on a harmless camping trip in the Sierra Mountains. While on the trip, Christopher, who was suffering from a cold, developed respiratory problems and had to be rushed to a hospital. The nearest one was several miles away. By the time Christopher arrived there, his breathing had become so labored that doctors had to perform an emergency tracheotomy. Often, this is an uncomplicated procedure, but during the operation, Christopher went into cardiac arrest and died.

Afterward, Brenda was numbed. Outwardly, she refused to let herself grieve, but inwardly she was tortured by the loss of the one human being she loved most in the world. She tried to lose herself in work, and later in a passionate love affair, but neither could give her the inner peace she so desperately needed. After Christopher's death, Brenda returned to Days of Our Lives very quickly - too quickly perhaps - and tried to go on as if nothing had happened. On the surface, she seemed so calm and accepting. She stunned everyone by giving interviews to the press, and whenever Brenda met with reporters, she was eager to speak about her son. She'd go on at length about Christopher's passing and about how grateful she was for all the letters of support and encouragement she'd received.

For a time, Brenda seemed almost manic. She embarked on at least one unfortunate romance (with a black soap star) and may have been involved in other casual relationships, too. March 1982 was a particularly horrible time for her - the first anniversary of Christopher's passing. It hit her very hard, and friends later conjectured that this was the turning point for her on the road to self-destruction. She now went into an ever deeper depression that led directly to her suicide a month later. Her behavior near the end was very strange - almost frighteningly calm. The last week of her life Brenda made plans with two castmates to attend a party (which, of course, she never attended) and just a few days before her death, she phoned one of her favorite fan magazine editors to thank her profusely for a recent article. In retrospect, the call was obviously a farewell gesture.

According to the police report, on the day of her death, Brenda had a violent argument with a lover, then began drinking about noon and ultimately decided to kill herself. She carried out her final act, lying down on a soft rug in the bathroom with a lighted candle beside her. The thirty-eight had been in her possession for some time. She had bought it for protection after receiving threatening notes from angry fans who were upset that her TV character, Lee Carmichael, had broken up the marriage of Doug and Julie Williams, the show's #1 couple.

Brenda's death sent shock waves through the Days of Our Lives cast. Lanna Saunders, who played Marie Horton, and her husband, actor Larry Pressman, held a memorial service at their home for the actress' friends and colleagues, who came to share their grief, their disbelief and, most of all, their memories of Brenda. One castmate, who seemed to speak for everyone, noted, "If there really is a hereafter, at least Brenda and Christopher are togehter now - that's all she really wanted."