Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Spring and Summer 2021 Updates; discovery+ Gets Back to the Future Expedition
78th Golden Globe Winners; Soleil Moon Frye Hulu Documentary Premieres March 12
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 1, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paramount+ Sets Bold Plans; No Third Season for Twilight Zone
Fri-Yay: CBS's Mom Announces End, Marking Another End of An Era for Sitcoms; Hulu Orders More Shrill and Love, Victor
Frasier Revival Coming to Paramount+, While Final Season of Younger to Premiere on Paramount+; The CW Spring 2021 Schedule
TBS Comedy Chad Launches April 6; Netflix Drama Raising Dion Adds to Cast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October-March)

The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series

10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/23 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - The Complete Collection
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
11/10 - Letterkenny - Seasons 5 & 6
11/10 - The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/10 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection
11/17 - Carol's Second Act - The Complete Series
11/17 - Robbie - Season 1
11/24 - Corporate - Season 1
11/26 - Man with a Plan - Season Four
12/01 - The Neighborhood - Season Two
12/15 - Avenue 5 - The Complete First Season
01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #46
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

It's been awhile since I've seen it but probably Porky turns the tables.

All manner of penalties thru-out--a large saw, probably hits with a mallet. Great toon, but Chuck Jones did very few bad ones.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:37 PM   #47
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
It's been awhile since I've seen it but probably Porky turns the tables.

All manner of penalties thru-out--a large saw, probably hits with a mallet. Great toon, but Chuck Jones did very few bad ones.
How would you rank all the golden era Looney Tunes Directors?
Charley Knox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:52 PM   #48
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

1. Chuck Jones

2. Isadore "Friz" Freleng

3. Bob Clampett

4. Bob McKimson

3 and 4 could be reversed--I think McKimson has a lot more shorts to his credit, since Clampett left sometime in the 40s.

A lot of people would also reverse Freleng and Jones. Maybe it could be agreed they are the top two. Jones has a LOT of classics, I will say.

There are other directors--Tashlin, Levitow, etc. They have very few shorts, though.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #49
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I'll say one other thing about the Oscar--I might have mentioned above that Knighty Knight Bugs, a Freleng toon, was OK, but hardly Oscar-worthy. An Oscar for that, but nothing for Duck Amuck, Duck Dodgers, One Froggy Evening, What's Opera Doc, or the trio of Rabbit Season-Duck Season toons (all Jones masterpieces)? Please!
Old 01-24-2021, 12:57 AM   #50
jimpickens

I like that they show cartoons you see anymore like Blue cat Blues and my personal favorite Who killed Who.

Last edited by jimpickens; 02-21-2021 at 01:36 AM.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:43 AM   #51
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
1. Chuck Jones

2. Isadore "Friz" Freleng

3. Bob Clampett

4. Bob McKimson

3 and 4 could be reversed--I think McKimson has a lot more shorts to his credit, since Clampett left sometime in the 40s.

A lot of people would also reverse Freleng and Jones. Maybe it could be agreed they are the top two. Jones has a LOT of classics, I will say.

There are other directors--Tashlin, Levitow, etc. They have very few shorts, though.
You could probably place Fred (Tex) Avery at #5 for his contributions.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #52
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
I love the Ducksters. It was a spoof about the outlandish 50's quiz shows. It ends with a nasty bit of deserved turnabout.
"deserved"?
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #53
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
You could probably place Fred (Tex) Avery at #5 for his contributions.
Agree. I thought of Tex Avery, but like Clampett he had comparatively few shorts.

At least one director (maybe Clampett or Avery) used that "smear animation" where a running character leaves a color trail as the camera moves quickly to follow the run. It's really cool. I think it was only in a few 40s toons.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #54
Mario500
Forum Regular

"INTERVIEW: Cartoon Curator Bill from MeTVís 'Toon In With ME' "
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #55
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Interesting interview--Jerry Beck is THE animation historian. By reading the comments it appears people either love or hate Bill. After the first show I called a friend about the toons, and he loved them, but boy he hated the guy!

The live segments are growing on me!

The MOST interesting thing is that MeTV is planning on adding more cartoons. I would vote for shorts from Hanna-Barbera--Yogi, Huck, etc.

One thing that has me a little stumped is exactly when the Merrie Melodies went to color, and his book doesn't make it clear. It appears they start out in black and white (the Bosko years, none of which would be shown on TV), and they switch to 2 strip Technicolor in the mid 30s, and 3 strip (full) color in the late 30s.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:12 PM   #56
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Interesting interview--Jerry Beck is THE animation historian. By reading the comments it appears people either love or hate Bill. After the first show I called a friend about the toons, and he loved them, but boy he hated the guy!

The live segments are growing on me!

The MOST interesting thing is that MeTV is planning on adding more cartoons. I would vote for shorts from Hanna-Barbera--Yogi, Huck, etc.

One thing that has me a little stumped is exactly when the Merrie Melodies went to color, and his book doesn't make it clear. It appears they start out in black and white (the Bosko years, none of which would be shown on TV), and they switch to 2 strip Technicolor in the mid 30s, and 3 strip (full) color in the late 30s.
They definitely should pick up The Jetsons and Scooby Doo.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #57
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Sat Jan. 30 - Bugs Bunny and Friends

KNIGHTY KNIGHT BUGS (1958), THE CRACKPOT QUAIL, FASTEST WITH THE MOSTEST (1960), AWFUL ORPHAN (1949), CANARY ROW (1950), CASE OF THE MISSING HARE

Knighty... -- A Friz Freleng Academy Award Winner

Crackpot... -- an early Merrie Melody, 1941, from Tex Avery.

Fastest... aah, another great Road Runner

The Awful Orphan -- Chuck Jones didn't do too many Porkys, but here's one, with Charlie dog. He used this bit at least one other time, where the dog is shopping for a master and Porky's it.

Canary Row -- Sylvester's after Tweety again. Watch for the bowling alley bit--Freleng reuses gags but not this one! This is another Blue Ribbon reissue toon, where Warners found the original Looney Tune for a Platinum Collection DVD. I'll want to see what master MeTV has. [Update: Wow! They got it from Platinum Collection]

Case... an early Chuck Jones entry from Dec. 1942. In this one Bugs battles a fat magician.

Last edited by stevea; 01-30-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 PM   #58
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Those Caspers go way back, too. I think I've seen singalongs with those.

Another interesting thing they could do would be to add the Beatles cartoons later on Saturday morning, which were on ABC in the late 60s (speaking of singalongs). The songs were the real deal. Add in stuff like Bullwinkle and the Jetsons, and that would give them a full morning on Saturday.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:48 PM   #59
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb. 1 - Toon in with Me

SHOW BIZ BUGS (1957), SYMPHONY IN SPINACH, OUT AND OUT ROUT, DOG POUNDED, PURR-CHANCE TO DREAM

Warners:

Show Biz Bugs - an excellent Freleng Bugs and Daffy battle. An explosive ending for Daffy, who says he can only do it once! Also a reused gag (from the earlier Ballot Box Bunny) with a musical instrument rigged to explode.

Out and Out Rout - oh, goody, another Larriva Road Runner, this one from 1966. Let's get these over with...

Dog Pounded - another funny Tweety and Sylvester, from 1954. The cat battles LOTS of dogs this time...
Old 01-27-2021, 12:54 AM   #60
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Those Caspers go way back, too. I think I've seen singalongs with those.

Another interesting thing they could do would be to add the Beatles cartoons later on Saturday morning, which were on ABC in the late 60s (speaking of singalongs). The songs were the real deal. Add in stuff like Bullwinkle and the Jetsons, and that would give them a full morning on Saturday.
Woody Woodpecker and Mr. Magoo are some other theatrical toons that I would like to see again. They should go ahead and add the remastered Fleischer and Famous Studios Superman cartoons to the Popeye block on Saturday Mornings. Even though a few of them would have to be censored.