Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Coach links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Coach Photo Gallery

Coach - The First Season

Buy Coach - The First Season on DVD
Coach - The Second Season

Buy Coach - The Second Season on DVD
Coach - The Third Season

Buy Coach - The Third Season on DVD
Coach - The Fourth Season

Buy Coach - The Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Coach

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV Summer 2021 Schedule, Monk Joins Lineup; HBO Max Sets Cast for Period Comedy
New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Boned When...
Hayden Goes Pro - Goes Pro Move to Orlando weakened show 3 50.00%
Day 1 1 16.67%
Never Boned 2 33.33%
Minnesota State wins National Championship. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Junkie

Question Coach Boned the Fish When...

http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?1405

Quote:
Coach is an American television sitcom that aired for nine seasons on ABC from 1989 to 1997. The series starred Craig T. Nelson as Hayden Fox, head coach of the fictional Division I-A college football team, the Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles. The program also starred Jerry Van Dyke as Luther Van Dam and Bill Fagerbakke as Michael "Dauber" Dybinski, assistant coaches under Fox. The role of Hayden's girlfriend (and later, wife) Christine Armstrong, a television news anchor, was played by Shelley Fabares.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Mr. Television
17 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Addict

This is an easy one. When the cast moved to Florida, the show JTS. This was always one of my guilty pleasures. The whole cast was great. It just went on about 2 seasons more than it should have.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

I think the show could have been somewhat salvaged if they would have introduced a Dauber/Kelly relationship.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

I think Clare Carey (Kelly) was leaving to pursue other acting, so her character's interest in Dauber was extremely short-lived when it was finally explored.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Junkie

https://web.archive.org/web/20070225...ptheshark.com/
  • Other Thoughts:

When the big blonde guy played a great part in "The Stand"
    When Minnesota St. won their first game
    After he won the national championship
    I really hated Coach.
    For the first several years of the show every episode was a guaranteed laugh fest. The idea of setting a sitcom in a midwestern div IA college football team was huge! The simple-minded assistant coaches, the meathead players, the spineless athletic director and his dingbat wife, the wussy band director, and most of all the overly macho and stubborn namesake played by the great Craig T. Nelson--it was magical! After a while the show lost its focus and became a drama about the hardships in the relationship between Hayden and Christine. When they took the show out of the setting of college football and moved it to the pros, the show was no longer watchable. What was once a great stand out sitcom became indistinguishable from the likes of Roseanne and Blossom. Keep It Funny, Stupid!! By the way, is Coach still on the air?
    When the coach turned pro and moved to Florida. Although to be honest we had to see it coming after he married Christine.
    It's the championship game and Bo whatever his name is hurt. Game over right. Wrong my intellectual friends. The coach decides to fake Bo's injury and then when the opposing team FUMBLES IN THE LAST MINUTE OF THE GAME Bo makes a remarkable recovery and goes in for the winning score. There's a magnificent game plan. FIRED!
    "Coach" jumped the shark when they expected us to believe a moronic bonehead like Luther could be a defensive coordinator at the professional or college level. He didn't have enough brains to coach girls synchronized swimming.
    The show never jumped the shark. ABC made it jump the shark. They put it on Saturday night which is were many great shows died because few viewers are home then. After a month on Saturday they moved it to Wednesday where the ratings picked up. By then it was obvious that this would be the final season. ABC did the same thing to Mr Belvedere and Perfect strangers. Cbs did it to good times and the hogan family.
    THIS was a great show til the end but the funniest character besides shirley burliegh was art hibke the jack of all trades he cracked me up he should have gotten a spinoff.
    This was a wonderful show from 1989 to 1997. The saddest day for the show next to the day they taped the final episode was probably when abc announced their schedule and said coach was going to saturday. I wonder if Craig t. nelson acts like he does on coach in real life?
    this was my favorite show til it ended in 97 however they should have let a girl i know named ashley flanery enter the show she is very funny and pretty. she would have made a lot of men watch the show because she is prettier that cindy crawford and pamela anderson combined coach rules
    Although they never married (did they?) I hated Dauber's really ugly,obnoxious girlfriend. Dauber was clearly not bright enough to coach and have a relationship. Besides wasn't Dauber to busy getting $30 a pop at the sperm bank?
    Coach was always a godawful show, but the defining, shark jumping moment was indoubtedly when it moved to Florida. That was the kiss of death.
    Two things really killed Coach. The first was when Hayden went to the NFL. Those episodes were pretty good, but they weren't nearly as good as those in Minnesota. The second, and most important, was the change in time slot. How can you put a show about football in a time slot where it has to compete against football itself? That was really stupid.
    When the show started focusing on the Athletic Director and his wife. I would not want to hang around these people in real life, why would I want to watch them on T.V.? I think a lot of shows jump the shark when they take this tack (of course I can't think of any other examples right now).
    The show was too funny before the divorce of Kelly and Stuart. After they left, it just wasn't as funny. Stuart and Coach had some of the funniest scenes on TV together. They should have kept Stuart around.
    They won the bowl game without qb (tricky)
    When they moved to Orlando, it just didn't fit the characters. They seemed more natural in Minnesota. Christine seems to be the only one that might fit in Orlando. Also, the owner played too much of a role. The best episode was when Luther moved in with Dawber.
    the show was great ,but the death of the show was when haden and luther didn't act like friends anymore but more like rivals. this started happening when haddenand christine got married
    This show was awesome...then they went to Orlando. It is pretty obvious that this show went straight down as soon as they left Minnesota
    When Coach went pro, the show totally went downhill. It really lost focus, and most of it's appeal, which was based on the characters themselves. Once it went pro and moved to Miami, however, it became more about the Orlando Breakers and Mona from Who's the Boss? What was so charming about Coach was the small-town college atmosphere, which complemented the personalities so nicely. This "Jumping of the Shark" was so reprehensible that it made me stop watching the show.
    Despite the presence of some fine actors...Craig t. Nelson, Jerry Van Dyke and the fabulous Shelly Fabares...this show really sucked a big green weenie. What bothered me most about it was the Christine character. Shelly Fabares deserved to have more to do than to just stand around in every episode with her arms folded listening to Hayden's endless tirades, looking lovingly into his eyes and being "supportive." A golden retriever could have played that part. She deserved better.
    Every time Christine spoke the show jumped. She seemed to have no interest and did not want to be there. Just a bit like Andy Griffith was when Barney left the show, he got tired....
    I am not a Sports Fan and I HATE football but I was still a Coach fan for several years. The show started to jump when an entire season was devoted to getting pregnant, but I stopped watching when Coach went pro and they moved to Florida. It just wasn't good anymore.
    This was a very solid, underrated show that never jumped. Luther was too stupid to be defensive coach but it was for the comedy effect. Jerry Van Dyke gave a very funny although sometimes slightly annoying performance. (This show was very much like Gomer Pyle in many ways.) And Craig T. Nelson gave a great performance. I never thought much of him or the show till I gave it a chance. It really surprised me.
    i detest this show. it stinks. who cares if some guy is an idiot and he doesn't know how to coach whatever it is he coaches. he is so stupid and so is that show i HATE it! and my brother likes ARRGGGGGHHHHHH
    This show never jumped as far as I'm concerned. I've loved it from day one, from Minnesota to Orlando. Luther rocks!
    In the last or next to the last season coach moved to florida.A new setting a few new characters ....these were clearly attempts to save a show that had already died,I lost interest. Coach was never a great show but it wasn't bad for the most part.I don't like football,I never have but it was an alright sitcom.They should have ended it however instead they moved it to Florida. At that point it got so worn out even the shark puked it back up.
    I loved the episode where Dauber was going to live with the aliens. He left a note to Luther telling him he was going to the Planet Arium (planetarium) and Luther went crazy. One of my all time favorite shows.
    Katherine Helmond was totally unnecessary and it overloaded the show--you just added one more person. One more 'stupid' person at that--we already had tons of situations with Luther & Dauber not knowing squat--now there's one more person who milks laughs out of ignorance. The premise got old and the child thing was unnecessary and added angst, not laughs. They blew their chance with his daughter--she was turning into a hot babe, especially in those suits and stilettos. It would have provided some more comic situations (and different ones!!) to bring this NYC ethos into the mix. Maybe she could've gotten to be part of a group that co-owned the team. And, I'm sorry to say, Christine just started looking a little 'too long in the tooth' to be wearing those skimpy outfits all the time. It'll be awhile before we see Craig Nelson on a successful show again--he's overstayed his welcome with the viewing public.
    Why did the coaches wear whistles and stopwatches on the sidelines during games? What exactly were they going to time during the game? Also, wouldn't the referees have a problem with whistles on the sideline?
    The death knell for "Coach" was sounded when Coach Hayden Fox accepted a new job in Florida and was able to up and transplant the entire cast there. How utterly stupid. A bunch of transplanted Minnesotans (sp.?). I guess we were all supposed to suspend disbelief long enough to accept the fact that Coach Fox and all of his cohorts just "rolled the bones" and neatly arrived in Florida....all chums working and living in close proximity in Florida just like they did in Minnesota..YUCK> Can't figure out why the powers that be felt they had to move the whole thing to Florida. Also, the baby thing didn't help either. Too bad.
    This was a once great show until coach moved to Florida to coach some new pro team. I thought the move was such crap and ended the show for me. I guess u can say u should think before u act and they obviously didn't think before messing this show up.
    Kelly was always some dumb actress but then she comes back with a hot executive job, come on
    when the cast moved to florida, it was the beginning of the end. although it is plausible that a coach would take his staff with him if he changed teams, they took howard, too! since the move predates the baby, i think the move got this one.
    This was a great show about a typical male ape who is chauvinistic, homophobic, and macho. Its just when he got that job coaching the pro team in Orlando for that ridiculous woman, it was really over. Luther was funny when he wasn't being so annoying!
    This seemed like a great idea but who the hell hired Jerry Van Dyke? This guy will never be funny, yet Hollywood continues to bring his sorry ass back. They hired another big dumb blond guy to the cast which makes Craig T. Nelson the worst coach in history if he hired these buffoons as assistants. Hopefully this show is now off the air and will never be aired in reruns.
    It Jumped the shark when they were making fun of the city of Cleveland Ohio.
    I set my calendar to be in the room when coach came on the TV...until Craig was eaten by the shark...and went to Florida. Still funny at times, but not the same after the big move.
    Anytime there is a baby born a show jumps. I could handle the national championship - even the move to Florida. If they moved to Florida without the baby, those shows might even have worked. Baby = Shark bait. Although actually Stuart = Shark bait as well.
    I loved this show, but must admit that it jumped when they moved to Florida. I think they should have ended the show with the Coach going off to coach a professional team. In response to a few posters above, Craig Nelson has not overstayed his welcome with the public (at least not with me). I think he's a very good actor (and kind of sexy too).
    Coach is my most favorite show of alltime. No other show has ever caused me to laugh so hard. Graig T. Nelson does a wonderful job playing Hayden Fox on the show. His character is extremely funny. I love watching Shelly Fabares not only is she beautiful, but she is a very talented actress. She makes the show great by doing such a great job playing Christine Armstrong. Clarey Carey is extremely beautiful, as well as a wonderful actress. Her character Kelly Fox is wonderful to watch. Clare Carey is going to go far in show business. Jerry Van Dyke is the funniest person in the entire world. Bill Fagerbakke does a wonderful job acting as Dauber, he is very funny, and he draws people to view the show through his character. The writer of Coach is a genius, to be able to come up with such wonderful plots. I am a member of the Columbia House Video Library Coach series. I am collecting all of the episodes because it is the only show that I don't ever get bored of. The show wasn't as good when they moved to Orlando. The truth of the matter is that the show never got bad, it started strong, stayed strong, and finished strong. Every person who had any role in creating the show Coach from acting to producing, to directing, and writing, should know that they created the best show of all-time. I will always be the biggest fan of the show Coach and all the people who acted in it and made it. Coach rules.
    BTW, that last poster was Craig T. Nelson himself.
    It was painful to see Craig T. Nelson have to perform with knuckleheads like Jerry Van Dyke, the big stupid White Guy, a mis-cast Shelly Fabres,etc. The premise was dull, everyone overacted, the scripts were awful....snore....
    I can't believe how many people actually liked this show, and that it lasted as long as it did. I'm going to join the few on here who agree that this show sucked. I can't stand Craig T. Nelson and I think he is an overrated actor, and to have Jerry Van Dyke??? What the heck was that all about. And when they would have football games it was so fake, it's only obvious they weren't in a real stadium playing a real game. And I suppose having the Monday Night Football crew on an episode was supposed to boost ratings??? Oh yeah, nothing better to pump up a football sitcom then to have Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, & Dan Dierdorf on. The plot was stupid, when the show became dramatic it was pathetic, and all in all this show was a waste of time. I won't be watching these reruns anytime soon.
    Without a doubt, and I'll beat this dead horse again, it's when Coach went pro. A good part of the humor came from Coach's struggle with his college team... if they were going to have him go pro, they could have at least made him a winning coach. It was a whole setting, with a whole new struggle, and I knew the show had peaked when it was strictly a change in scenery. The fact that ALL the cast members (even Howard) came to Florida to be with Coach solidified it as shark bait for sure.
    Where better to be eaten by a shark than Florida? Need I say more?
    The show was great until Hayden asked Troy Aikman (I think, I know it was an NFL pro) for his sperm.
    It definitely jumped when they moved to Florida and adopted the baby. It was a great show before that non-sense. And for the person above who called Hayden a Chauvinistic, homophobic, male ape.....LIGHTEN UP!!! Quit being so damn politically correct! By the way, I think Dauber is doing the voice of a SpongeBob Squarepants character now. He went from a football coach to a cartoon starfish! That seems weird to me for some reason!
    This show jumped from the very beginning. Everything about the show is JUST PLAIN AWFUL AND UNFUNNY. Particularly horrifying is Shelley Fabares - her character is not given much to do, and Shelley never looks like she wants to be there. I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE THIS SHOW!!!!!!
    The comedy definitely jumped when it decided to become RELEVANT by dealing with the poignant issue of MALE IMPOTENCE. Ugh!
    One time after Minnesota State got blown out in a bowl game, Hayden spent the last 10 minutes of the episode in the empty stadium with Christine rambling on and on and on and on about how much he loved the game of football, how great the game is, how great life has been to him, etc. etc. etc. etc. This had to be one of the most painfully boring moments in television history, and I could never enjoy Coach again in quite the same way.
    I live in Orlando and it definitely jumped the shark when the show moved here. Hell, my real life did!
    What was formerly a hilarious, excellent show turned into a comedic soap opera when adopting a baby dragged on and on.
    When he got the head coaching job he suddenly became the straight man in the series, leaving Dobber and Luther to be the "funny" ones.
    "They did it" aka they won the Pineapple Bowl. Loveable losers are always funnier than successful teams. From there the only place to go was Orlando and the pros, which killed the show for good.
    Coach jumped that one horrible, shameful night on ABC when the entire (Wednesday night?) lineup went to Las Vegas, and crossed over into each other. What a mess. As I recall, the debacle also involved were Ellen, The Drew Carey Show, and Grace Under Fire. What a disgusting mess that was. Shame, shame on ABC! That being said, it was still Luther's funniest episode ever.
    Coach was such a great show but after that it went bad. They got rid of Stewart, they moved away and, with the exception of the show where coach asks Troy Aikman for his sperm (which is a classic in my opinion) the show went down hill.
    After Christine and Hayden get married. The show took on a more family oriented theme and got into some very touchy subjects. I think this changed the whole show. It became kind of serious sometimes, especially scenes like the one where the girl Julie isn't sure about the adoption and it leaves Christine and Hayden worrying.
    Coach in its prime was the best sitcom of the 90's. It was much better and funnier than the overrated Seinfeld, Roseanne, or Friends. But, like almost all sitcoms, it stayed on the air a few years too long and ended up jumping the shark. Coach jumped when Hayden Fox and the gang left Minnesota State for Orlando so that Hayden could become head coach of the NFL expansion Orlando Breakers. They should have ended the show when Hayden brought the national championship home to Minnesota State. Hayden Fox and pro football just didn't seem to mix well to me especially when Katherine Helmond joined the cast. How many series has she had? At least Coach never had a guest appearance from Ted McGinley
    When they moved the show from Minnesota to Miami. It took away the whole warm and cozy feeling of the show
    It never truly jumped the shark. However, once, they moved to Florida their were some shark sightings.
    I have always been a fan of Coach, it is one of my favorite shows ever. However, the show was just bad after moving to Florida. Until then, I was able to forgive all the implausibility's of the show (it WAS a sitcom, after all) Like your star quarterback faking an injury yet winning a bowl game (I think a player faking an injury violates NCAA rules) Going from a small time program to undefeated national champs in 5 years (wish that could happen at my alma mater, Temple, where 4-7 is considered a successful football season) Stuff like that, along with other things too numerous to mention (i.e., impotence, Kelly's comeback with a big-time job then hooking up with Dauber, Hayden actually being required to teach History to his football players) I could deal with that. But Hayden accepting a job on an expansion team was when the show jumped. First of all, the position wasn't even vacant at the time, the owner didn't like the coach, so she fired him and replaced him with Hayden when they met by chance on a cruise. The show more or less left its funniness in Minnesota, too. It got all dramatic and boring. I can't go into more detail because I more or less gave up on the show soon after they moved. One of the few Orlando shows I watched was when the Breakers were on the verge of making the playoffs in their second season (which used to be unrealistic, but the fact that both 2nd year teams in the real NFL made the playoffs that year saved it)ABC decided to play Orlando's season along with the real NFL season (they seemed to closely resemble the Jacksonville Jaguars) and the Breakers' playoff fate depended on the final Monday Night Football game of that season, which was Detroit vs. San Francisco. San Francisco won, and it meant the Breakers were heading to Buffalo for the wild card round. Football fans would immediately notice what was wrong with this: Detroit and San Francisco play in the NFC, Buffalo plays in the AFC. So if the show was going along with the actual season, this game would have had NO effect on the Breakers' playoff situation whatsoever. I don't believe there was ever an explanation for this. Whatever credibility was left in this once-solid show was gone.
    Coach was an awesome show, but you knew things were heading downhill when Minnesota State won the national title. I've realized when writers run out of ideas they need to change the playing field a bit, and this was an example of this. Then it happened again when Hayden went pro... that's when I stopped watching. But prior to all of that stuff, the show was great. Craig T Nelson played the role perfectly. All the complicated messes he'd get himself in had me rolling on the floor at times. The interaction with Christine and his coaching staff was also very well done.
    This show literally became unwatchable when it moved to Florida...the adoption, Katherine Helmond...and Shelley Fabares's face that couldn't move that last year...it distracted me from even listening to what she was saying
    Ok, I liked Coach. Wasn't an all time favorite, but it was pretty entertaining. But what bugged the heck out of me was Christine's hair. It never looked good. I think they changed it later on in the show, but it still looked God Awful. Messy all the time like a rats nest. (No offense to any Shelly Fabares fans, I'm sure she's a great person, but the show needed a better stylist. After all, wasn't Christine a news anchor or something?)
    Coach was one of my all time favorites-I think Craig T. Nelson's facial expressions and body language are simply hilarious, however the show jumped in two places, when they started with the whole baby storyline back in Minnesota I felt the show started to lose it a little, then when they moved to Florida it was still funny but again they focused way too much on the baby-thing. I found the whole Julie/Kevin thing so boring it was painful. There were only 2 really funny episodes in Florida, the one where Howard gets fired from Minnesota State and comes to stay with Hayden & Christine & the one where Hayden & Christine asked Howard & Shirley to be the baby's God parents, a close second was when The Breakers make the play-offs and go to Buffalo & Luther got tainted Buffalo wings for the team. On a whole I could have lived without them pulling an "Edith Bunker" on Luther where each episode he gets more & more stupid & annoying, where as in the beginning he was lucid but just a little bit dense.
    Hayden and Christine getting married. Shows do this all the time... so often it kills it. Thats' the case here. Just beats out Minn State getting good as #1 shark jump.
    When Hayden married Christine for sure. It began the slow process of trying to morph Hayden into Ward Cleaver. Next came the move to Florida then the final stake through the heart, adopting Tim. At one point Hayden actually wanted to MISS THE PLAYOFFS to spend time with the family. A few months later the show was history and I didn't even care by then.
    The move to the NFL/Florida killed this show. If they'd done everything they could do with the show set in Minnesota/college, they should have killed it and gone off the air. The last 2 seasons were almost unwatchable. I also could have done without adding Katherine Helmond as the team owner. If they wanted to add her to the show that badly they could have made her a wealthy booster for MSU ala Mrs. Rizzendough or something. And then to have all the principal cast members relocate as well. Luther and Dauber are somewhat understandable because they were coaches, but Howard the athletic director relocating as media relations or whatever?! Sheesh, that was stupid. This show went from hilarious to hackneyed in a season.
    I watched Coach from time to time. I didn't hate it, but I couldn't get into it either. So I'm not sure if Coach jumped. But I did want to mention that I was happy for Jerry Van Dyke. He finally landed in a stable television show. Jerry's two other series flopped, "My Mother The Car" and "Accidental Family" and he passed on playing Gilligan on "Gilligan's Island", but this show worked for him. I'm a Jerry Van Dyke fan, so I was very happy to see him land on his feet in this series. By the way, I don't think his other shows were that bad, probably just needed a bit more work on the producing side, not acting! You go Jerry V!
    This show definitely jumped with the moving to Orlando. Coach is interesting though. It was always solid but never spectacular like Seinfeld or Cheers or even Wings. One of those cases of funny enough but nothing laugh out loud or something to rock the boat. I did like the setting of a small college town as opposed to a city like New York which is the setting for every other show. The show lost something when they started winning, Craig T. was always better as the lovably losing grouch. Going to the pros and the addition of the lady from Who's the Boss sent this one well over the fin.
    To me, just about the best sitcom ever, at the very least the best one while it was on the air (at least, the whole Minnesota period), including sitcoms that were literally ten times more popular (though I'm always glad it didn't get that kind of hype). I didn't care all that often for the Miami ones, or even the '94-'95 ones (but I'm prejudiced against that period of time in general), but it had a lot of good episodes, like the Buffalo Wings one, and the ski resort one with the appearance by Pam Stone (Judy). Though I like Katherine Helmond, I didn't think she was all that right for Coach (it occurred to me a while ago that if they were going to have a comical millionairess on the show, she should have been more like "Mrs. Rizzendough" from Minnesota, someone who actually disliked Hayden). I also didn't like the way they had the Stuart character leave, changing him from a comical sensitive character to a "shallow" one (I wish they'd had him leave the same way he started). I did like the fact that Kris Kamm was in the final episode, in that "out of character" scene with the actors, especially since he hadn't played a character on the show in a long while. It was like going full circle, especially since the first "Stuart" episode was also my first one.
    That very special episode where Luther develops Alzheimer's disease. "Hay-Hay-Hayden I can't remember my name." OK, that wasn't an episode. Definitely jumped with the whole move to Florida go pro thing.
    When I said that the "Doris" character in Miami should have been more like "Mrs. Rizzendough" in Minneapolis, I didn't realize someone else had already mentioned that, but I'm glad. One of the great things about Coach (like so many other shows) is something it DIDN'T do. One of the built-in ideas of it was the whole "Men from Mars, Women from Venus" thing, but unlike so many other comedies (and dramas), the writers of Coach knew when to work it into a scene, and then LET GO of it. (And when not to use it at all.) And when the scenes WERE about that subject, they were almost always funny lines, even quotable lines. And even when they were less funny, they were still genuine comedy lines, instead of slogans, about "men" this and "women" that. Or overworked jokes about remote controls and so on. Maybe this was already mentioned on this board too, but I'm not sure.
    I didn't watch Coach until it was syndicated. However, I find it to be a pretty funny show at times. Once they moved to Florida though, the whole vibe of the show changed. Katherine Helmond's introduction into the show ruined the whole dynamic of the cast. I stopped watching it shortly after the move.
    Coach is one of my very favorite shows and I can watch it time after time and never tire of it much like I love Lucy. I think the cast of characters was superb and all the scripts were great. I loved Coach and Luther best of all. It was funny and didn't resort to risque sound bites or script. I could watch it with my children and not cringe. I think Craig T Nelson is also great in The District, his drama on Saturday night that proves he can act. Wish we had the likes of this team of cast mates again! Thank you Coach!
    I think Coach is one of the best and most underrated shows of all times, i remember watching that show when i was a little kid but i really got into it about 2 months ago when i started to watch all the re-runs they show on the USA network , Jerry Van Dyke (Luther Van Dam) is one of the funniest actors of all time! and he really works well with Craig T. Nelson (Hayden Fox) they make a really great combo and Dauber i dont know his real name but he works really well , a lot people say the show jumped the shark when they made the move to Orlando but i thought that the show needed that change of scenery after they won the national championship at the college i think it was time to move on, and i really like the new set , i thought the new office at the stadium was great and the new big house was great to.and i thought the last episode was great too when he had all the offers to sign deals he decided to retire back in his cabin in the woods of Minnesota with his new born son, great show way to underrated for sure
    When "Coach" moved to Florida, they did a Disney World sequence. Did anyone else notice that "Full House" and "Boy Meets World" also did Disney World episodes at a similar time… Hmm, sounds like Disney was making its takeover of ABC quite known on its shows.
    Clearly, this show jumped when they moved to Florida and Hayden Fox became an NFL coach. Sure, this is a (hopefully) natural progression for NCAA football coaches, but the show severely sucked following that move and I stopped watching. Adding Catherine Helmond to the cast only further drove it over the ramp. What did she possibly add? In my opinion, the show should have ended when they moved. That, to me, would have been a terrific ending to a good series. The show didnt need to show the life of Hayden Fox, the NFL coach.
    Episode 100 "Baby on Board". This is when the show went way down hill, when Christine wanted to have a baby. Much of the comedy was then lost and it got more emotional. I watched this show because it was a funny show about coaches in a college setting, not because it was three men and a baby. Here was the JUMP!
    COACH was a decent sitcom when it started and Craig T. Nelson was wonderful in the title role. I liked his relationship with Luther and Dauber and enjoyed the evolution of his relationship with Christine and I don't think their marriage was a shark jump. The shark jump was when they moved to Florida and Katherine Helmond joined the cast. What is it with Katherine Helmond? Is she trying to become the new Ted McGinley? Prior to the Florida move, this was an excellent show.
    The show did suffer somewhat with Hayden's jump from Minnesota State to the pros, yet the absolute low point of the series occurred during the show's last season with the episode entitled "Somewhere Out There". In this episode, Dauber believes that he has been contacted by aliens and considers leaving not only the team, but the planet Earth, with this group of extra-terrestrials. The premise could have worked had the writers played it for laughs, yet the tone of the episode was serious! Dauber's character is certainly dim-witted, but the serious nature of the episode made him seem mentally unstable. To make matters worse, the episode aired at nearly the same time as the Heaven's Gate tragedy, in which 39 members of a religious cult committed suicide, believing that they would be reincarnated and taken away by a UFO to another world. A truly sad demise to a once great show.
    Don't get me wrong, I like and still watch COACH on USA network every day. I think it is, for the most part, hilarious. Jerry Van Dyke was at his best on this show and Craig T. Nelson's body language was great comedy. He won Emmys playing Coach Fox. However, the show was not the same after the baby came into the picture. Hayden became more civilized and more of a homebody. I still liked the show, just not as much. I like the episodes with Tim Conway.
    In the ultimate case of life imitating art, Mankato State University, in Mankato, MN, changed its name to Minnesota State and changed its nickname to the "Screaming Eagles".
    I loved the show when Hayden lived in Minnesota in the log cabin, but as soon as Doris got involved, & Hayden moved to Florida, I feel that the show lost its charm.
    Enjoyed Coach very much. The show would get bogged down with relationship angst but usually managed to pull out of that trap just in time. When coach moved to Florida to coach a pro team I knew that one of my favorite shows was irretrievably heading down the slippery slope to the bitter end. I continued to watch because I liked the characters and have nothing against Kathryn Helmond. Finally I just gave in and said a fond farewell to Coach. Still watch the re-runs when they are in Minnesota but that is all. It was good while it lasted.
    The move from Minnesota to Orlando. Christine and Hayden trying to have/adopt baby. Christine became a very SHRILL person!
    When the gang up and moved from Minnesota after years at Minnesota State University and decided to become the coaching staff for an NFL team in Orlando, this show was forever doomed.... As a fan of the show, it went downhill because they basically repeated storylines, just in a more warm environment. It doesn't help that Howard Burleigh took a more prominent role either, but the one good thing that did occur was that they weeded out the ever annoying Shirley Burleigh.... The owner character was a good addition also, but could have been incorporated as a new university president or something along those lines.
    Coach never jumped. It was a heartwarming analysis of Middle America and its struggles, exemplified at its zeitgeist by Craig T. Nelson's iconic performance. Does Coach Fox vent his anger, reacting to the outside world around him (crumbling as it is) or does he lower his defenses with his beloved? Dawber, again is the sum of perfection in his reflection of the little guy trying to make it big, the American Dream played full scale in athleticism. Though no Emmys were forthcoming for this show, one could argue it was robbed by an inattentive voting board. Lastly, Shelly Fabares was outstanding; she was the voice of reason, of kindness, of beauty and intellect in raw pool of emotions and hijinx. Ms. Fabares played her role with aplomb. To top it all off, Mr. Nelson delivered his lines with aplomb, wit and quickness. A stellar show which never jumped the shark.
    This show was enjoyable for years, even through the Hayden & Christine marriage/family travails, but the Troy Aikman as the potential sperm donor episode put the boat in the water and revving up. The Dawber/Kelly and Luther/Ruthie (I think that was her name) relationship subplots were mostly unfunny and really not necessary...the skier was ready as the boat gained momentum. Clearly, the writers were reaching, even before the national title to be followed with the (shark) jump to the pros. As another poster has already pointed out, the genesis and on-field fate of the Orlando (NOT Miami!!) Breakers amazingly paralleled those of the real NFL Jacksonville Jaguars, even to making the playoffs in their 2nd season. Moving the AD from Minn. St. was too much of a stretch (Asst. coaches can and do move up when the head man bolts to the pros), and the Helmond character was simply "Ruthie" with more money, a better wardrobe, and even nuttier. The last two seasons, except for the tainted buffalo wings and the finale, are unwatchable (I mean, another poster pointed out the playoff scenario AFC/NFC snafu; the writers must have been phoning it in). In all, Minn. St.'s capture of the national title (loveable losers make good) should have been the series finale, perhaps with an adoption or a pregnancy announcement to wrap up the family angle.
    I'd have to say the episodes where Hayden and the crew move to Florida. By then the gravy train had run out of coal. I'd say maybe it was because by then they had done everything they could possibly do with these characters Marriages,divorces,babies,and all that stuff.
    As many others have pointed out, "Coach" jumped when Hayden jumped to the NFL. It was never the same after the move to Orlando. While I always enjoyed the Minnesota State episodes, I have never been able to figure out how a complete buffoon like Luther could become, much less endure as defensive coordinator of a major college football team. His stupidity had moments, but I can think of at least two instances where his incompetence would have gotten him fired in the real world: the train episode where the team is forced to forfeit a game, and the buffalo wing episode.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
bliss
THAT GIRL
Forum Regular

When they had Mona from Who's The Boss on the show.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
bliss
THAT GIRL
Forum Regular

Haven't seen the show in years but I do recall Christine having stick straight hair and losing the poodle perm! That was a Jump The Shark moment for me as well.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss
Haven't seen the show in years but I do recall Christine having stick straight hair and losing the poodle perm! That was a Jump The Shark moment for me as well.
I definitely preferred her with curly hair.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
bliss
THAT GIRL
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
I definitely preferred her with curly hair.
Yes me too!

That was the Christine Armstrong I fondly remember on the show workin' that 80's perm. Framed her face nicely to be honest. The straight hair she had later on looked thin and a bit dry.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:44 AM   #10
Will Dockery
Shadowville All-Stars
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
When they had Mona from Who's The Boss on the show.
As I mentioned earlier, I kind of liked the Orlando era of the show... to me, the show went out on top.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #11
Alan Brady's Hair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I kind of liked the Orlando era of the show... to me, the show went out on top.
I liked that, too. A lot of very funny episodes.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #12
Will Dockery
Shadowville All-Stars
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
I liked that, too. A lot of very funny episodes.
Good use of the ensemble, Luther, Howard et al.
Will Dockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
Samme
Forum Regular

I loved the Orlando episodes of the show. Even the new sets were great. The only time this show got in trouble was when it tried too hard to be serious. Jerry Van Dyke wanted the show to lean much more to the comedy and he was basically right. The episodes of Luther writing a book or taking Hayden to court are classics. And as good as Jerry was, Craig T. Nelson was even better. Dauber was also an excellent character. I hadn't been a fan of Katherine Helmond, but she was a fine addition to the show. I like the Florida episodes possibly even more than the earlier seasons. It was often a very good show.
Samme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #14
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Coach never boned, the move to Orlando and addition of Doris kept it fresh. What I don't like are the episodes Hayden and Christine are infertile and trying to conceive (but I do like the girl who gave birth to their baby). Other than that though, Coach was a great show the whole run.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote