Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > One Day at a Time (2017)

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV Summer 2021 Schedule, Monk Joins Lineup; HBO Max Sets Cast for Period Comedy
New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Junkie

Default One Day at a Time canceled for a 2nd time — Sony TV is now searching for a 3rd home

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...mcbs-sony-shop

ViacomCBS has opted not to order a fifth season of the Pop TV comedy after its fourth season was cut short due to the coronavirus -- and failed to capture more viewers when re-aired on CBS. This is One Day at a Time's second cancelation after Netflix opted last year to axe the reboot of the classic Norman Lear comedy after three seasons. An animated special airing in June made in wake of the pandemic will be the last episode of the series, at least for now. The Hollywood Reporter's Lesley Goldberg reports that Sony Pictures Television is "having ongoing conversations with multiple outlets as it searches for an unprecedented third home for One Day at a Time." She adds that "Sony and ViacomCBS had been in talks to renew the comedy for a fifth season on streamer CBS All Access. That deal was stymied by contractual limitations that were part of the show's original Netflix deal that limited when another streaming platform could run the series. Netflix would have had to sign off on a rival streamer reviving the series starring Justina Machado and Rita Moreno from showrunners Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce. The goal, per sources, would have been for CBS All Access to air a fifth season in 2021. That would have been a year earlier than Netflix's pact for the series. CBS All Access initially wanted to revive One Day at a Time for a fourth season but was unable to come to terms given the Netflix limitations. It then landed at Pop and, following a first-of-its-kind deal, became the first Netflix canceled original series to land at a new home. (Since then, animated comedy Tuca and Bertie — canceled a year ago at Netflix — was revived for a second season at WarnerMedia-owned Adult Swim.) Netflix would have had to have signed off on One Day at a Time's accelerated move to a rival streamer." ALSO: Showrunners express optimism Sony can find a new home for One Day at a Time.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
TVLegend

Time to pop out the champagne!
TVLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
opus
VB
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLegend View Post
Time to pop out the champagne!
Why?

I need it to run till Valerie Bertinelli’s schedule allows for a guest spot.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:57 AM   #4
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Why?

If Michael Lembeck isn't in it I want no part of this show !!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:09 AM   #5
TVLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Why?

The original series is great, the revival or what I call “the mistake” is NOT. I tried to watch it SEVERAL times and it was HORRID and TERRIBLE. Even with Mackenzie Phillips guest starring a couple of times, it still didn’t cut it for me.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:23 AM   #6
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLegend View Post
The original series is great, the revival or what I call “the mistake” is NOT. I tried to watch it SEVERAL times and it was HORRID and TERRIBLE. Even with Mackenzie Phillips guest starring a couple of times, it still didn’t cut it for me.
I heard Alyssas Milano was going to be added to the cast of the new ODAAT !
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:26 AM   #7
TVLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl View Post
I heard Alyssas Milano was going to be added to the cast of the new ODAAT !
I still wouldn’t and won’t watch. That’s how much I hate the revival. And THAT says somethin’.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #8
opus
VB
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegirl View Post
If Michael Lembeck isn't in it I want no part of this show !!
Remember though, he did direct an episode for them.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
MA
Forum Idol

I can see the show going to HBO Max or another streaming service.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #10
TMC
Forum Junkie

One Day at a Time is "officially over" after Sony failed to find the acclaimed comedy a third home

The cast and crew of the canceled Pop TV comedy were informed today that Sony TV's long-shot attempt to find a third home was unsuccessful. Pop TV canceled One Day at a Time two weeks after its pandemic-shortened fourth season. "It's officially over," co-showrunner Gloria Calderón Kellett tweeted this afternoon. "But there will always be 46 episodes that we got to make that live FOREVER. Thank you to this beautiful cast. Our dedicated crew. And to you, our loyal fans. We loved making this for you. Thank you for watching." Fellow co-showrunner Mike Royce shared a similar announcement on Twitter. "I wish I could say otherwise, but sadly, ODAAT’s time has come to an end," he tweeted. "The only silver lining about not doing a show anymore is that nobody can take away the show you already did. 4 seasons that will forever exist for people to watch." Royce also thanked One Day at a Time fans and "our spirit guide" Norman Lear, as well as Kellett, "my cohort upon whom I am forever codependent."
Old 12-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #11
Lorimar Television
Forum Veteran

That sucks, it was a good show
Old 12-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #12
TMC
Forum Junkie

One Day at a Time showrunners reveal the unwritten storylines fans will never get to see

Gloria Calderón Kellett and Mike Royce discussed with EW their canceled Netflix and Pop TV comedy officially ending after Sony TV couldn't find a third home. "Generally speaking, the next episode after 'Supermoon,' which is now our series finale — a pretty lovely finale — was going to be about Lydia's (Rita Moreno) disillusion with the idea that Elena (Isabella Gomez) can't get married in a church," says Kellett. "Wilson Cruz was going to play a hot priest in that one. I'm sad we were never able to shoot this one because it talks to a lot of Catholic families who have people they love from the LGBTQ community. For Elena and Syd (Sheridan Pierce), there's somebody else Elena found cute and she was having a difficult time understanding what that meant for her relationship. We had some really great stuff around that but I can confirm they do stay together! Elena ends up getting into Yale but decides not to go. That was the big surprise, she goes but doesn't feel at home there the way that she'd hoped. So she ends up going to UCLA instead. With the money, she saves she buys a car and she opens up some resources for Papito, as well. We also had an episode where they go on a road trip to Yale to check out it out for Elena. Schneider (Todd Grinnell) has an RV that's decorated inside just like the Alvarez house." ALSO: Justina Machado and her One Day at a Time co-stars say goodbye.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:56 AM   #13
James28
Forum 3K Club Member

I am very sorry to see the 2017 version of One Day at a Time not getting to continue its original run. It looked like one of the better TV show reboots out there. It's a real shame that its linear viewership, whether on Pop TV or CBS, wasn't sufficient enough for such continuation (as a former SVoD series, viewership levels that low apparently weren't going to pay the bills). I just wish that there had been an appropriate Sony Pictures-owned outlet or channel that would take ODaaT 2017 and sustain it for a potential syndication package, but there just isn't.

This is a point like this where one’s love of TV-show and film reboots is going to die. I guess confirmation of Isabella Gomez moving to another sitcom reboot (Head of the Class on HBO Max) was not going to be a good sign for any continuation of the 2017 version of ODaaT. It’s another cancellation I should be mad about because of production (and storylines) stopping abruptly due to the COVID Nightmare Virus, and even though I got to watch a handful of episodes of this reboot, there’s absolutely no point in me ever getting investing in this series because of this sad news. One good thing is that the 2017 ODaaT got two of the original 1975 ODaaT's main cast to guest-star (MacKenie Phillips and Glenn Scarpelli), but still, it missed out on ever getting Valerie Bertinelli, which I had been hoping for the most.

Because of the reasons I've stated, I might as well stick to reruns of the original One Day at a Time series from now on.

"Stay Safe"? More like "Stay Sad".

#2020Hurts
James28 is online now   Reply With Quote