Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital
Katey Sagal Joins The Conners; CBS All Access Comedy No Activity Gets Guests for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

TV TVSquad Interviews Andy Richter On The Short-Lived "Andy Barker, P.I."

Andy Richter: The TV Squad Interview
Posted Nov 23rd 2009
by Nick Zaino

If you never managed to catch Andy Barker, P.I. when it originally aired two years ago, try not to beat yourself up.

Though the show had an impressive cast, led by Andy Richter as a CPA-turned-private-investigator, and including Harve Presnell, Tony Hale, Marshall Manesh, and Clea Lewis. It was also created by Conan O'Brien and Jonathan Groff.

But it only lasted six episodes, and didn't seem to get much push from NBC. Watching it on the newly released DVD, Andy Barker, P.I.: The Complete Series, it's hard not to feel the show could have had legs if given the chance.

All's well that ends well, though, and Richter is happier than ever, paired again with Conan O'Brien on The Tonight Show, getting to do what he calls a "silly little comedy show" without dealing with the backwards world of the sitcom. I spoke with Richter earlier this week about Barker and being back with Conan.

Do you think Andy Barker, P.I. got a fair shake when it was first out?

Oh, certainly not. Absolutely not.

It was sort of just, you know, shoved on TV and meant to go away.

Do you think from the start it was meant to...

Yeah, kinda. Kinda. You know, I say this as kind of neutrally as possible. I think it's just a statement of fact. It's not really sour grapes. I mean, granted, there's just a skosh of sour grapes to all of this, but there just was really not much promotion. It was a network that already had some critically-acclaimed comedies that not many people were watching and they probably didn't need another one.

They apparently decided at some point that, 'This show is not going to be a big breakout, runaway hit so let's just kind of cut our losses and put it on, and if magic happens, then great, we'll get behind it. But we're not going to get behind it before. We're not going to really get behind it before and push. We're going to put it on.'

It's basically like a friend of mine once referred to it - they shove you out on an ice float and push you out into the water and go, 'All right, now, thrive!'

And like I say, it's not sour grapes. I don't know that, they might know something I don't just about the way people watch television. I'd be terrible at picking television shows.

Did you go back and watch the show at all?

A little bit. A little bit.

I don't watch a lot of stuff of my old stuff. It doesn't feel particularly pleasurable. And that's more just garden variety self-loathing.

Was there anything about this series that you were particularly proud of or that you particularly enjoyed?

Pretty much everything about it. It's a great, refillable structure that could have gone on for many, many years, which you're always trying to find. Even knowing that the actual concept of a show, the shell of a show, or the gimmick of a show, is not the whole thing. The main thing is the execution.

Because you can have two entirely different shows about, say, a hospital in outer space. One could be great and one could be awful, just depending on the execution. But this show, in it's concept, just kind of the hybrid of a detective sitcom kind of thing, we didn't set the world on fire but it certainly was unique.

And it certainly had a great structure for writing jokes in, for filling up with jokes, week after week. And on top of that, in the incredibly risky business of casting a comedy, they did an amazing job of finding - in each role of the show, they did as good as they possibly could, or as well as they possibly could, finding somebody great to be in that role, to be a great caring, generous performer, and to make the characters come alive. And then it was also filled with a lot of really funny, clever jokes.

Top to bottom, I really though tit was a great show, and there's six of them, and you can get them on DVD now.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/11/23/an...uad-interview/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Unfortunately, for Andy...

...there are two "camps" who have opinions of this series: one faction agrees that it was one of the "smartest" and funniest sitcoms in years...and the other groaned, "Oh, not him again...". And the latter was the in the majority who tuned out all six episodes. Not for nothing did NBC quietly shift it from Thursdays at 9:30(et) to Saturdays at 8 for the final episodes. The only reason the network bought "ANDY BARKER" in the first place was because they co-produced it, and had to keep Conan O'Brien happy until he took over "THE TONIGHT SHOW" from Jay Leno. Of course, their attitude was, "Just because we bought the show doesn't mean we have to like it".

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote