Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Steve Carras
Sandra Bullock RULES!
Forum Regular

Default Lost Comedy from 1962:"DADDY O","LITTLE AMY", & "TIME OUT FOR GINGER"[pilots]

ALl of these are on Alpha Vista and are viewable on Prelinger Archives. They also hgave somkething else in common, interesting sitocms that never sold the pilot.

They're about kids. A little kid, a young teenaged and older.

DADDY-O
Crator
MAX SHULMAN

A "Dobie Gillis" kind of cool jazzy cat show that was aired in early sixties. Forgot details but it was about a rather hip kid as the star.

LITTLE AMY
Little Audrey type live show
Cast
Little Amy/DEBBIE MEGOWAN
Her Best friend [that's Rosalie]/JOY ELLISON
Her "boy friend" Arthur's grandma/CHEERIO MEREDITH

Theme and Music by LYN MURRAY
Filmed by COLUMBIA BROADCASTING at METRO GOLDWYN MAYER studios

Little audrey. Lulu.l. Jinx. Lotta. Dot. Amy. AMY? AMY? Yes, it was an attempted pilot at a little girl with her mommy, daddy, and best gal poal who is helping her make an outfit for her dad, as I recall. Teenage Arthur's her crush [she hopes!] Veteran character actress Cheerio Meredith's playing ARTHUR's grandma. Famous Jacks Albertson and Nicholson make appearances.
Lyn Murray's cute and inncoent theme song is immensely catchy.

TIME OUT FOR GINGER
Creator/writer
RONALD ALEXANDER

Produced for
ZIV PRODUCTIONS

Cast
Ginger Carol/CANDY MOORE
Her parents/KARL SWENSON and MAGGIE HAYES
Older teen sis Joan/ROBERTA SHORE
Lizzie-that's their housekeeper/MARGARET HAMILTON[!!!!!!]
Salesman/PETER LEEDS
Little Boy/RICKIE SORENSON

Theme [according to BMI.com]
MAHLON MERRICK [need more info]

Written bY CARL REINER

Gangway! Gangway! Patty Duke's "Billie"--oh, wait--not yet, the "Ginger" franchise is still in its second adaption of the material for TV. Playwritght Ron Alexander ahd created a quite successful stage play of this, a teenage bobbysoxer on the sports team, and Jack benny and some others did a 1950s TV verison. This, starring sixties teen queen Candance "Candy" Moore of "Lucy Show" and "Donna Reed" fame, Maragret Hamilton and some others, arrived asa 1962 TV pilot. The story deals with our exuberant heroine's attempt to wina car for her daddy even if she has to push her way into the football team. Her dad Howard Caorl's played by Merlin from Disney's Sword in the Stone, veteran radio actor Karl Swenson with Margaret Hamilton, the Wizard of oz witch, as a housekeeeper. Ironically, another Sword in stone regular besides Swenson, Ricky Sorenson aka Wart, is the little boy, and Stan Freberg's pal Peter Leeds, another vteran avtor is mentioned, as [I think] the car salesman.
Annette Funicello's old rival, on the Mickey Mouse clkub, Roberta Shore, is featured as the older sister.
Just HOW exuberant IS our Virgina Carroll? Just check out HOW she addresses her sister's BOYFRIEND at the malt shoppe.
"HI ya BUTTERFINGERS!" [LOL]
"See ya LATER ya lovable old GOOFBALL!"[Perky, huh?]
Very funny, and for the reasons intended back in 1962, and worth watchinga tleast and with swinging clock pendulum graphic at start and Candy moore herself at beginning.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Additional information about these pilots:

These were never broadcast, and are indeed quite rare- even to Lee Goldberg, author of the only definitive book on TV pilots ever written (so far),
"Unsold Television Pilots, 1955 through 1988" [McFarland, 1991], who hasn't seen them {as yet**, either. But he did gather information involving all three of them:

1) "DADDY O" was produced for consideration for CBS' 1961-'62 season (apparently, Max Shulman had a deal to create another series for the network, based on his track record with "DOBIE GILLIS"), and co-starred Don DeFore. It was the other pilot he appeared in for the 1961-'62 season that was sold-- to NBC...."HAZEL".

2) "LITTLE AMY" was produced by CBS as a possible series for its 1962-'63 season. It was produced by George Cahan, and directed by Sidney Lanfield (veteran Hollywood director who later helmed multiple episodes of "McHALE'S NAVY"). Bill Leslie & Shari {or possibly Sarah** Marshall portrayed Amy's parents. According to Goldberg, the Leo Burnett Agency, a prominent ad agency which prepared a report on several 1962-'63 pilots submitted to the networks, determined that "AMY" was "unbelievably bad".

3) "TIME OUT FOR GINGER" wasn't the first time it was staged for TV; a hour-long adaptation of Ron Alexander's original play was presented on CBS' "SHOWER OF STARS" in October 1955, featuring Jack Benny as "Ginger's Father" [two of his occasional writers, Hugh Wedlock, Jr. & Howard Snyder, adapted that version]. Goldberg claims CBS was considering the idea as a 1956-'57 series, but apparently plans fell through (and certainly not with Benny as a regular, as he was busy with his own bi-weekly series and monthly "SHOWER OF STARS" specials at the time). In 1961, Ziv Television {just as they were swallowed up by United Artists** and Carl Reiner {just before he began writing and producing "THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW"** collaborated on another "GINGER" adaptation, probably for CBS [this pilot is not listed in Goldberg's book, so it's new to me]. Mahlon Merrick was Jack Benny's composer/conductor on radio and TV for 30 years, and did very little TV work outside of that series (when Benny ended his weekly series in 1965, Merrick retired, and passed away four years later)- however, he DID write dozens of cues for the "Mutel" production music library, and they were used in various programs; perhaps some of those were used in the "GINGER" pilot, I don't know. I haven't seen it yet.

But I DO know that Candy Moore wound being "third banana", after Vivian Vance, on "THE LUCY SHOW". She deserved a better career than that...

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
TV Knowledge Fan

Default I've watched all three at Prelinger Archives....

(that is, as much as I could today)....and they're quite interesting.

"DADDY O", as I've mentioned, was a Max Shulman project (in association with 20th Century-Fox), with the same producer/director at the helm- Rod Amateau- from 'DOBIE GILLIS". Supporting players included Jean Byron and Sheila James, also from "DOBIE". And I can see why CBS turned it down as a series: it was TOO clever and TOO satiric, making fun of network situation comedies and the background behind them (heaven forbid people should know about how "laugh tracks" work!)....let me explain the network's attitude towards satiric humor at that time: in 1958, Stan Freberg tried to sell CBS a proposed TV version of his 1957 radio series ["FREBERGLAND", he called it], and it too, took deadly aim at sacred cows in advertising and TV programming. According to his autobiography, the executive he pitched it to, Hubbell Robinson, listened to Stan's "pitch", took his proposed script and literally tossed it aside. Then, he asked Stan's agent (who sat in on the presentation), "Now, what kind of show does Stan Freberg see himself doing?". That's why Freberg went into advertising, to prove to CBS his kind of humor WOULD be accepted by the masses, even it he had to use his gift to help advertisers sell their wares. And if the network felt that way about Freberg, imagine their reaction when they saw "DADDY O" in early 1961. You can bet James Aubrey, "The Smiling Cobra" of CBS, who was its president and chief programmer at that time, wasn't going to schedule ANYTHING that made fun of the "bland" comedies he was trying to shove across viewers' eyeballs {among them: "BRINGING UP BUDDY", "MY SISTER EILEEN" and "THE TOM EWELL SHOW"**- he even objected to "THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW" because he thought viewers wouldn't accept "Rob Petrie" as a New York TV comedy writer: "Couldn't you make him a Midwestern insurance salesman, like Robert Young on 'FATHER KNOWS BEST'?", Aubrey suggested, and, to their credit, Carl Reiner & Sheldon Leonard said "NO!"- but Aubrey had to honor Max Shulman's commitment to the network for a pilot, and quickly rejected it. End of story. But it WAS a funny idea!

"LITTLE AMY"...well, that was an example of the kind of "bland" family comedy Aubrey wanted CBS to schedule. I'm sure he reasoned, if "DENNIS THE MENACE" works so well on Sunday nights, why don't we produce our OWN version, making us a lot of money, and make the kid like "Little Audrey"? Even though the pilot was written by the very talented Norman Paul (who worked on Edgar Bergen's radio show, both radio and TV editions of "THE BURNS AND ALLEN SHOW" and other great situation comedies), something was missing. I don't know what, but it was never going to be an equal to "DENNIS THE MENACE".

"TIME OUT FOR GINGER": Carl Reiner had nothing to do with the pilot script, as Ron Alexander adapted it from his own play. This might have been filmed for consideration for CBS' 1956-'57 schedule, as Candy Moore was "just a kid" at the time. This was during Ziv's "golden age" as a producer of syndicated filmed programming [and years before their merger with United Artists Television]: the first series they sold to a network was "THE WEST POINT STORY", to CBS (and sponsor General Foods) for the fall of '56, and this was probably a "follow-up" to CBS' interest in "GINGER" after the original was staged on "SHOWER OF STARS" in the fall of '55 {incidentally, John Tackaberry, one of Jack Benny's radio writers, also helped adapt Alexander's play with Wedlock & Snyder, as Jack probably agreed to play "Howard Carol" IF his writers slightly "tailored" the play for him- after all, even though he was featured in a supporting role, people expected a little of "Jack Benny" in virtually every other role he portrayed outside of his own series**. I'd love to see the kinescope of that version....

The pilot was quite good, though, and would have made a good series.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
TeeVeeCloset

I have the DVD and enjoyed and appreciated all three of these clever classic lost pilots.....Don Defore brillant in "Daddy O" and loved seeing a younger Candy Moore in "Time Out For Ginger"......thanks for all the background "TV Knowledge". Ziv was responsible for another one of my lost favorites...."Meet Corliss Archer".
Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
TV Knowledge Fan

Default You're welcome, 'TeeVee'....

..."MEET CORLISS ARCHER" was one of Ziv's few situation comedy projects, primarily adapted from the long-running CBS radio series starring Janet Waldo, which was still on the air when Ziv's version appeared during the 1954-'55 season. Unfortunately, it wasn't successful enough to warrant a second syndicated season [only 39 episodes were produced], and the radio show ended a year later.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
..."MEET CORLISS ARCHER" was one of Ziv's few situation comedy projects, primarily adapted from the long-running CBS radio series starring Janet Waldo, which was still on the air when Ziv's version appeared during the 1954-'55 season. Unfortunately, it wasn't successful enough to warrant a second syndicated season [only 39 episodes were produced], and the radio show ended a year later.

Thanks again...I feel very fortunate to have 37 of the 39 episodes produced, it ended with a christmas story which in most guides is #39....as you of course know, it had no cancellation series ending episode......I also enjoyed and have both Shirley Temple "Corliss Archer" themed movies.
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Steve Carras
Sandra Bullock RULES!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan

ANd I've seen that too, on Prelinger Archives.
Steve Carras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
TV Knowledge Fan

Default The reason why Ziv didn't produce a "final" episode....

...for "MEET CORLISS ARCHER", 'TeeVee', was because they thought the series would be renewed for a second season; in those days, most TV series never produced a "closing episode" for the same reason (it also helped when those shows were endlessly repeated in syndication). It wasn't until the '60s that several sitcoms produced a so-called "farewell" episode ["LEAVE IT TO BEAVER", "THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW", "HANK" (he became an "official" student at Western State University in the last episode) and "GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C."].

I didn't know episodes of "CORLISS" were also available at Prelinger, Steve. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carras
ANd I've seen that too, on Prelinger Archives.
I wonder if those are the public domain episodes that have been airing on the Safe-Tv network which is where I recorded The Christmas episode for TeeVeeCloset. I believe Safe-Tv is airing about a dozen or so of the 39.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Steve Carras
Sandra Bullock RULES!
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
I have the DVD .
Me, too..at least by the end of this year.
Steve Carras is offline   Reply With Quote